Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

KennyMan666 posted:

Apocalypse Johto Part 1: Silver Lining
Chapter 3: Wake-Up Slap

I understand what a Nuzlocke run is but I am finding this comic to be borderline incomprehensible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Flying Zamboni posted:

I understand what a Nuzlocke run is but I am finding this comic to be borderline incomprehensible.

I don't find it quite that hard here. Stuff happened the previous day, The MC helped the town out. The gym leader was just absent and didn't bother to help. Now MC is pissed at him.

But yeah, this interpretation of that world is a bit weird.

cant cook creole bream has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Mar 17, 2022

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

cant cook creole bream posted:

I don't find it quite that hard here. Stuff happened the previous day, The MC helped the town out. The gym leader was just absent and didn't bother to help. Now MC is pissed at him.

I had to reread it like three times. The main character and the gym leader look identical and the lack of any background in the closeups and battle scenes make it really hard to follow the action and even tell which character is speaking.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah, I concur. The story arc doesn't seem all that complex, but it's presented in a confusing way.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Flying Zamboni posted:

The main character and the gym leader look identical and the lack of any background in the closeups and battle scenes make it really hard to follow the action and even tell which character is speaking.
Yeah, agreed that Candace and Falkner look confusingly similar in this sequence.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Flying Zamboni posted:

I had to reread it like three times. The main character and the gym leader look identical and the lack of any background in the closeups and battle scenes make it really hard to follow the action and even tell which character is speaking.

Yeah it's nearly impossible to tell the characters apart if you can't see their stupid outfits and the whole thing is so poorly rendered and written there's no real reason to make the effort

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
That last page is especially bad in that regard. It took me a while to analyze, but I'm fairly sure, the first panel is Falkner while the second is the MC. I absolutely read that wrong the first time around. The faces in those panels are nearly identical. Only the hair is slightly different.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I’m going to keep reading the edgy pokemon comic solely because the horny sonic comic eventually was good, but why is everybody in it tilting their heads all the time

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ziv Zulander posted:

edgy pokemon comic

Ziv Zulander posted:

horny sonic comic

I love this thread

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Should I keep posting Aphelion or nah?

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Forgall posted:

Yeah! I have no idea what is going on but the art is good

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
That appraisal will not change.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

drat horror queefs posted:

Yeah! I have no idea what is going on but the art is good
To clarify a little, it has pages of flashback interspersed with "current events", which makes it more confusing.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Forgall posted:

Yeah! I've not the slightest idea of what's going on, though

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Forgall posted:

To clarify a little, it has pages of flashback interspersed with "current events", which makes it more confusing.

which ones are the flashbacks

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

ChubbyChecker posted:

which ones are the flashbacks
Those with kids fleeing ominous things floating in the sky.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
This is from War's Unwomanly Face, an adaptation of WW2 personal histories.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:catstare:

Also keep posting Aphelion.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This was the best dollar

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I've been super sick with a stomach bug for a couple of days, I hadn't checked this thread in quite a while and was 100+ pages behind, so I decided to catch up while couch, bed, and bathroom bound.

Huge thanks to all of the chronological effort posting of comics, I'm especially fond of achewood and whomp! But thanks to everyone for making my lovely couple of days more bearable.

I'm still like 50 pages back, so back to it

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Squidster posted:

Don't skip this one.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

On the one hand, I could see a big McNugget stuffed with fries. On the other, McDonalds - ew.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I cannot relate to this one, as any self-respecting introverted nerd would prefer to subtly slow down in order to avoid any potential awkwardness with someone who might stand there slightly too long holding a door open for you

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The power move is to make and maintain eye contact as you slow down. If they look like they're wavering, furrow your brow in disapproval to let them know how rude they're being. Bonus points if you turn at the last second because you weren't even going in

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Captain Hygiene posted:

any self-respecting introverted nerd

Ronnie is not self-respecting. :ms:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

I cannot relate to this one, as any self-respecting introverted nerd would prefer to subtly slow down in order to avoid any potential awkwardness with someone who might stand there slightly too long holding a door open for you

iirc this is a followup to a whomp posted here previously where he did exactly that

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
I literally turn around and walk a different direction if someone holds the door for too long until they stop it, I hate that poo poo

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Squidster posted:

Holy poo poo. Quoting this so I can find this later, thinking about showing this to my class.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The prose book, originally published back in the 80s, got a recent reprint through Random House, but sadly it doesn't look like the manga adaptation has any North American release. It's all up on the usual sites if you know where to look.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
The book is very good, even if the subject matter is understandably bleak at moments.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Elviscat posted:

I love all the kitties in this.
Yes! They're all so adorable. And fortunately they continue being featured throughout the whole comic. Even the real main cast will eventually have an adventure kitty

Stand Still. Stay Silent
Sweden Edition

This is the penultimate arc of the prologue. The last one will come after a minor time skip, and then the main plot will start after another one

Things are looking a bit desolate, even by Swedish countryside standards. And with 7 of the original 11 patients dead, the situation seems quite grim. The news being unable to fill out their paper was also a pretty good touch. People are trying to make things work and stick to their duty, but the situation is clearly deteriorating quickly and it's only going to get worse. Also everyone needs to pee. Crisis!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Forgall posted:

Those with kids fleeing ominous things floating in the sky.
To elaborate:
This is all set in a semi-transhumanist future.
The older boy on the first page is the man packing his hi tech suitcase on the page after.
The kid they put on the helicopter is his younger brother who now has no face.
The girl he's left standing with in the wastes is the woman talking about joining a hive.

The older brother is asking his younger brother, and therefore Cantor Hive, to facilitate him recovering their parents' bodies. They and a lot of other adults died as part of the events that the kids are trying to survive the aftermath of in the flashbacks.

You can, theoretically, work out all this from the existing info so I'm not counting it as spoilers. Aphelion is real good but honestly the narrative would run much smoother if there were a couple of "X years ago" "Present day" tags on the first chapter.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 11:25 on Mar 18, 2022

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Forgall posted:

Since Necropoils is over how about another cool comic that will never be finished? Images are pretty large so I've decided to timg just in case.

I don't think I've posted in this thread for months. This comic looks neat. I don't love the art, and it feels like there's missing pages (I'm sure it's on purpose and it'll make more sense with context later), but even TIMG'ed I wanted to know more. So I'm grateful but annoyed that I shouldn't expect a resolution.

Can't believe HfD is nearly over! And it's been long enough since I last read it that I genuinely don't remember how it ends!

Fake edit: guess who forgot to press Submit earlier? And more pages of this one posted since that are nigh-incomprehensible. Thanks Splicer, that info genuinely helps.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Splicer posted:

To elaborate:
This is all set in a semi-transhumanist future.
The older boy on the first page is the man packing his hi tech suitcase on the page after.
The kid they put on the helicopter is his younger brother who now has no face.
The girl he's left standing with in the wastes is the woman talking about joining a hive.

The older brother is asking his younger brother, and therefore Cantor Hive, to facilitate him recovering their parents' bodies. They and a lot of other adults died as part of the events that the kids are trying to survive the aftermath of in the flashbacks.

You can, theoretically, work out all this from the existing info so I'm not counting it as spoilers. Aphelion is real good but honestly the narrative would run much smoother if there were a couple of "X years ago" "Present day" tags on the first chapter.

:tipshat: very helpful, thanks

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

That dude with no face lying "face"down creeps me out in a way I don't understand.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

ow my face cavity i'm not supposed to get dirt in it!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Tiberius Christ posted:

ow my face cavity i'm not supposed to get dirt in it!
aaaaaa I didn't need that thought.
Also, have a thing

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
overly ambitious depression comic (ended due to artist's depression)

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The scary thing is that awfully ironic mario comic where everyone is a cat has canon basis.

Also pretty sure post-apocalyptic sci-fi comic where everyone is on the drugs is half of 2000AD's output and inspired works.