Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The extreme variation in quest lengths in this game is absurd. I spent most of an eight hour play session poking at the Brotherhood’s first quest and all the sub parts and places and setup, but I also knocked off a quest with some dude who hates Heck Gunderson inside of two minutes and three conversations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Light Gun Man posted:

play with too many mods at once and that will happen. I've seen the roads become teeth and eyeballs and such.

Yes but this was an install that was perfectly stable before. I put a hundred hours into the save.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Someone please recreate Cyberpunk's throwing knives in NV, tia

Also Veronica's punches spawn a floral pattern in this mode :allears:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Arivia posted:

The extreme variation in quest lengths in this game is absurd. I spent most of an eight hour play session poking at the Brotherhood’s first quest and all the sub parts and places and setup, but I also knocked off a quest with some dude who hates Heck Gunderson inside of two minutes and three conversations.

All quests are technically a few seconds long if you just shoot them.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I have a new friend and its name is gauss rifle. A NCR patrol knocked off a Brotherhood procurer carrying one as I was on the way to the latter's safehouse, oh it's so wonderful.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I wanted to try out the RT Global Illumination Nvidia added its Freestyle thing (based on Marty's work). But it didn't work properly (there's a pop up about lack of depth information or something like that)

but it's funny having a mini model of your character in the corner. I'll try again later with Reshade.

Some of the base Freestyle filters are pretty cool, though, and they hold up well in motion

Despite just building a new pc, I think I'm gonna still stick with Vulkan. Without it I get single thread bottlenecked. It helps that the shader compilation stutters either are gone or much less severe on this new CPU.

I do have a new issue, but I have trouble reproducing it. With the vulkan dll active, sometimes my framerate will suddenly fall to 24fps, and stay there until I alt tab out and back. It happens rarely, and I think it might be related to menus.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The RTGI shader only worked for me in 3rd person because it couldn't detect the full depth buffer in 1st person. You can use the full body in first person mod to stay in 3rd person all the time to get that RTGI shader to work, at least the non-NVidia version.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 minutes!

Arivia posted:

The long ones are specifically intended to send you to other areas and encounter new things. See also Rose’s caravans.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

v1ld posted:

The RTGI shader only worked for me in 3rd person because it couldn't detect the full depth buffer in 1st person. You can use the full body in first person mod to stay in 3rd person all the time to get that RTGI shader to work, at least the non-NVidia version.

I think I was already using enhanced camera, but I'll check later.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

From what I posted earlier you have to use "bUseThirdPersonArms=1" in Enhanced Camera's ini, which makes it harder to see your drawn weapon when not aiming.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

The long ones are specifically intended to send you to other areas and encounter new things. See also Rose’s caravans.

And that's great, but Still in the Dark could have been 3 separate quests (collar + holotapes/scouts/air filtration) without detracting from that.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Arivia posted:

And that's great, but Still in the Dark could have been 3 separate quests (collar + holotapes/scouts/air filtration) without detracting from that.

no it couldn’t because there’s an alternate way of doing it that bypasses the second part

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

same with the first part now that i think about it. if you come there with veronica you don’t get collared

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

watho posted:

same with the first part now that i think about it. if you come there with veronica you don’t get collared

Yeah and that was what I did. But neither of those means it can't be broken up into multiple pieces, or maybe have the individual parts be subquests given by McNamara, or whatever. I think Still in the Dark sticks out because there's so much of it and it's all over - the same structure is used for Volare! and GI Blues but Volare! has it be individual quests in the larger structure, and GI Blues is comparably small.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I don't mind the mix of quest lengths. Kinda nice to have longer goals to work on alongside the shorter ones

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 16, 2022

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

I don't mind the mix of quest lengths. Kinda nice to have longer goals to qork on alongside the shorter ones

Same here. Making them all the same length seems boring, just like making all quests give the same XP and item rewards would be boring (I'm looking at you, ESO)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

CHANGE (to 40mm plasma grenades)

HOPE (the splash damage doesn't cripple a limb)

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Improbable Lobster posted:

I don't mind the mix of quest lengths. Kinda nice to have longer goals to qork on alongside the shorter ones

Yeah, I like doing a little bit here and there sometimes. Knock off a chunk of a longer one, then stop and explore around a new town or something the longer one brought me to. It’s not like you can only do one quest at a time.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Arivia posted:

Yeah and that was what I did. But neither of those means it can't be broken up into multiple pieces, or maybe have the individual parts be subquests given by McNamara, or whatever. I think Still in the Dark sticks out because there's so much of it and it's all over - the same structure is used for Volare! and GI Blues but Volare! has it be individual quests in the larger structure, and GI Blues is comparably small.

I honestly prefer them to be larger multistage quests in general. Adds a lot of clutter for every individual story beat to be its own quest.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

v1ld posted:

From what I posted earlier you have to use "bUseThirdPersonArms=1" in Enhanced Camera's ini, which makes it harder to see your drawn weapon when not aiming.

Thanks but that didn't help. I'll try reshade next, but having to use that ini setting is unfortunate.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I still can't get SSRTGI to work properly through Nvidia's front end. It seems to only apply to the pipboy.

And if I'm not mistaken, the reshade version is still paywalled. MXAO works pretty well though (I needed to turn off MSAA first).

e:though i think "bUseThirdPersonArms=1" makes it not worth it.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 16, 2022

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arivia posted:

This seems like a good thing to me.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Seriously, that's what makes this game gold

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I still can't get SSRTGI to work properly through Nvidia's front end. It seems to only apply to the pipboy.

And if I'm not mistaken, the reshade version is still paywalled. MXAO works pretty well though (I needed to turn off MSAA first).

e:though i think "bUseThirdPersonArms=1" makes it not worth it.

I paid for the reshade version but eventually disabled it. It's good when it works but there are too many border cases that cause problems because it's trying to do light bouncing in a game that wasn't designed for it at all. So fire hydrants would have weird coloring around them, a few other things like that - but they stuck out.

bUseThirdPersonArms was another deal breaker.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Someone on reddit supposedly has a solution to the depth buffer issue, but I can't make sense of it.

a: delete enb, it blows out the colors in reshade for 3 and new vegas - and boris cant do lighting, occlusion or shadows or even sun shadows for poo poo in 3 or new vegas - he's a total bigot scrub
    b: download dxvk off github
    c: copy the dxvk x64 (not 32) dxgi.dll and d3d9.dll into new vegas directory - only one ive tested it with is dxvk 1.7.0 and 1.7.1 - dunno about the new ones so if the new ones fail use 1.7.0
    d: install reshade to the /scripts directory you make in new vegas - rename reshade32.dll as reshade32.asi - keep the reshade inis and presets in new vegas root
    e: start new vegas. enjoy depth access

that's not how reshade is installed in my game. I found a reshade32.dll, but in Appdata\Local.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

It's worth trying their method. Sounds like the dxvk dlls will load asi files, ie that it has the asi loader built in. And you can then inject the reshade via the asi load mechanism. I don't know anything more than ASI loading is a thing and that it's what for eg CET uses in CP to bootstrap itself.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Problem is that the reshade dll is in a different location, not in the NV directory. Might be that that changed in newer versions of Reshade. But I barely know what I'm doing either way.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Basically, when the game starts up it will look for certain dlls it needs. It will look in the local directory first. dxgi.dll is the dx11 dll I think. Dxvk overrides the system dxgi.dll with its own version in the game's foldedr so that it can substitute Vulkan calls for DX11 calls. dxgi.dll then loads the reshade32.asi in the local directory through the asi loader that is presumably in dxvk from what the reddit poster suggested.

You can move the copy of reshade32.dll in Appdata elsewhere temporarily while you try this out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

v1ld posted:

Basically, when the game starts up it will look for certain dlls it needs. It will look in the local directory first. dxgi.dll is the dx11 dll I think. Dxvk overrides the system dxgi.dll with its own version in the game's foldedr so that it can substitute Vulkan calls for DX11 calls. dxgi.dll then loads the reshade32.asi in the local directory through the asi loader that is presumably in dxvk from what the reddit poster suggested.

You can move the copy of reshade32.dll in Appdata elsewhere temporarily while you try this out.

Thanks. I tried that but Reshade wouldn't show up when launching the game.

I found a way of getting MXAO to work on world geometry when in first person, but...

...now it ignores your first person view model, and overlays the AO on top of it

I used this setting, "Copy depth buffer before clear operations", if anyone was curious

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cool. The video below goes into that setting and related in a terribly long-winded way, though you've obviously already cleared that hurdle. It does have some good info on the topic though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52KZrMOo4Y8

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I’m hoping NVR gets finished bc dynamic lighting would mean we can finally get a functional flashlight

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

v1ld posted:

Cool. The video below goes into that setting and related in a terribly long-winded way, though you've obviously already cleared that hurdle. It does have some good info on the topic though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52KZrMOo4Y8

Thanks, that was useful just to get better oriented. Unfortunately, I can't figure out a solution. I'll probably make do without AO. I could force it through the Nvidia control panel, but that doesn't work with Vulkan. I'm not sure which is worth more to me.

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I’m hoping NVR gets finished bc dynamic lighting would mean we can finally get a functional flashlight

unfortunately, it seems the Stewie fork is dead.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Come on FO3 PC, "middle-aged guy" isn't much to go on, there's no way that will...

Okay.

(first time playing FO3. this is via TTW.)

I decided against AO. Especially with a decent weather mod, the game looks fine as it is (which I said last time, and the time before that, after I tried "enhancing" NV's graphics).

Honestly, with just some tweaks, as a whole the visuals have ages pretty gracefully.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 18, 2022

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
oblivion with guns

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

FWE was a pretty neat, all-in-one, hardcore experience when I last tried it a longish time ago. I thought it was better than Project Nevada in its simple, no-options, this is the only game in town nature.

Never managed to get too deep into FO3, only up to where you meet the DJ and fight some Super Mutants for the first time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm playing super hardcore, with SawyerBatty, ROOG and Bleed. It's been pretty good, but the lack of fast travel is slowly getting to me. Especially with how desolate FO3's landscape is compared to NV. In Vegas there are communities all over the map. You're never never far away from civilization. In FO3 so far it's really just been Megaton and the occasional scavenger. Plus hundreds of Raiders. Also I found one of the big caravanners randomly dead from an encounter with a super mutant (not sure if that's a vanilla thing, but it's one less vendor I can sell guns to regardless).

The levelling is glacial. 11 hours in and I'm only level 5. Unfortunately, none of it is configurable. But it's what I signed up for.

The other parts of the playthrough have been great though. Like I actually have to worry about hardcore penalties now. For the first ever maybe in a Bethesda game, I'm buying food from vendors for non-RP reasons. Enemies aren't that terrifying once you learn the rules, but you can't take any threat for granted. One early wake up call was taking out my melee weapon against a mole rat, to save ammo. But it ended up mauling me to death. They're not actually a big deal, you just gotta be prepared. Just generally this is the Fallout survival experience I wanted (with a few niggles).

TTW itself is fantastic. On top of just working, the team have done a lot to bring NV features into FO3.

Some highlights

EW sights!

Weapon mods for Capital Wasteland guns!

Follower perks!

(I tried my best, but it was never gonna last)

NV crafting stations!

(that's an upgrade in my Megaton house)

Dropboxes!

(I've never ever used these in any playthrough)

New Armors!

NV weapons integrated into leveled lists! (though they're pretty rare)

(Not a 100%, I'm pretty sure this a feature of TTW not a mod)

Overall it's felt kind of bizarre. Like I'm playing this high quality total conversion NV mod that I'd missed till now. It's a pretty different game, with a different focus, but some stuff it does quite well.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 19, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Ah, Dogmeat's dead. The time honoured Fallout 3 rite of passage.

even in unmodded normal difficulty Fallout 3 Dogmeat is not essential. Instead you are supposed to take a high level post-game perk called Puppies! to get a new Child of Dogmeat just outside the starting vault whenever your previous one dies. I am making none of this up.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I vaguely remember the dlc adding scaling making dogmeat and Fawkes basically unkillable later on anyway

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

That looks neat,just looked up ROOG and SawyerBatty.

Mobile Truck Base may be a nice compromise for fast travel. It only goes to certain spots and you have to be at the truck to drive to the next place. It was my favorite player home in my last run of FNV. There are a couple of ports to TTW, including one to 3.2: Mobile Truck Base - TTW 3.2

Which mod is adding sights to energy guns? Wish we had a simple no-frills mod that did it in FNV proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Garrand posted:

I vaguely remember the dlc adding scaling making dogmeat and Fawkes basically unkillable later on anyway

yeah the scaling helps and puppies! fixes it

but it was literally the last dlc, fallout 3 had some weird fuckin problems

you like your dog? sorry your dog is dead. permanently. reload or live with it.