Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, people try to get into Cambridge Uni just to be in Footlights. It’s that good a networking tool for careers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I didn't mean they all went there at the same time.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

The World Inferno posted:

I can get behind this.

But then... who plays the assistant?

Nathan Fielder has big TM assistant energy.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wonder what it's like to be the one person in any given Footlights class photo that didn't make it big in comedy

all switching through channels in the evening going "meh, that's Richard; eh, there's David again; gently caress sake, Richard and David"

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

evobatman posted:

I didn't mean they all went there at the same time.

Who is the person next to John Oliver?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Not everyone from Cambridge becomes famous.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Paladinus posted:

Not everyone from Cambridge becomes famous.
But they do get a Wikipedia page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_O%27Connor_(cabaret_performer)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lmao I thought that was Baddiel on the left on first glance. Doesn't look nearly smug enough to be him though.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I stand by my statement.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

"Cabaret Performer" in the wiki title feels like a knife twist given what his colleagues are up to.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I always assumed it was David Koechner even though that makes no sense in multiple ways.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/28c3f068-5dcf-4542-a2b6-1b9397e33c64

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

That's not the correct layout of the house! Downvote...

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

stev posted:

Darkplace to me is one that would've been a hilarious 15 minute skit, but the joke wears thin long before the six episodes are over.

I find it hard to believe people don't like Darkplace. Man its 18 years old now, holy poo poo.
But I can see why, I guess you had to be watching TV in the 70s/80s to get where the parody jokes are coming from.
Same with Man to Man with Dean Lemar, its old style chat show, not graham norton poo poo.

Edit: Ah, thought this was the UK thread.
Been watching Series 12 again, and the balloon popping one in episode 1 has to be my favorite task of all time.
Its so simple and has unpredictable funniness when it came down to it.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 17, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
For my fellow americans, the CW is pushing out an americanized Would I Lie To You? Aasif Mandvi to host, Matt Walsh and Sabrina Jalees as team captains. It was announced in December, apparently, but it premieres April 4th or 9th or somewhere around there.

I don't know if Avalon owns a stake of CW or what, but it is a piss poor choice of a station to premiere on. It will probably be cancelled before a full season run, but it's something, for now.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcypWPQTv1M

It doesn't scream terrible, and as formats go, it feels like it's one that should translate.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm optimistic. But remember, CW completely hosed their UKTM run in the first week.

It's a poo poo choice to run it on a channel that pretty much survives on DC comics shows. CW is co-owned by CBS/Paramount and Warner. It would survive much longer on something like Comedy Central (Paramount) or TBS (Warner).

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03szggZz_js

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Pablo Bluth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcypWPQTv1M

It doesn't scream terrible, and as formats go, it feels like it's one that should translate.

The trailer editing / music makes it seem much worse than I'm guessing it is, since the underlying content seems pretty standard for would i lie to you.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

happyhippy posted:

Been watching Series 12 again, and the balloon popping one in episode 1 has to be my favorite task of all time.
Its so simple and has unpredictable funniness when it came down to it.

I've been catching up on the Swedish version of Taskmaster during the off-season, and once you get used to the alterations they've made to the format, it's pretty good. It turns out that UK Series 12 is the first one to feature adapted tasks from an international version. Three tasks were taken from Series 4 of the Swedish show, and this balloon popping was one of them (the original didn't have a instant-win button like the portcullis scissors, instead you just failed if you ran out of items from the shop). The other two tasks were (can you guess?):

Decipher the convoluted sentence to work out if the right thing is to ring or not ring the bell (tweak: the popcorn necklace part)

Find the camouflaged soldier while wearing a backwards facing camera (tweak: completing the task by throwing paint on him)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Why is anyone suggesting us taskmasters when Marc Evan Jackson was already suggested and is objectively perfect for the role

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Why is anyone suggesting us taskmasters when Marc Evan Jackson was already suggested and is objectively perfect for the role

Because he's be funnier as the assistant

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Xelkelvos posted:

Because he's be funnier as the assistant

Only if Paul F Tompkins is the Taskmaster

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
How about Ryan Stiles for taskmaster and Greg Proops as the administrator/sidekick?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
If Taskmaster had gaming-style achievements what would they be?

Things like:

* Stickler for Procedure - complete a task in the Lab without leaving the lab [this is often in the rules these days though that you can’t, I guess?]
* Ouch! - Hurt Alex during a task
* Blind as a Bat - fail to find a task

Also wondering about a “pure” season where you do a season without rule-hacking at all. Kept thinking about it like a perfect game in baseball.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Heck that could be someone's season gimmick. A lot of candidates try to set themselves up as the clever loophole finder, some time someone's got to actively say I will do this within not the letter, but the spirit of the parameters set by the task, entirely in good faith.

which, all I can see when I think about it is Richard Ayoade

nerox
May 20, 2001
I just checked this thread to see if there is any news on series 13, but since we are talking about a US version of taskmaster, the obvious taskmaster should be an imported American and it should be Craig Ferguson.

I am not sure who would be little alex horne though, I doubt Geoff is able to handle that function.

edit: Oops, meant series 13.

nerox fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 18, 2022

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Actually we're overdue news on series 13. Series 11 started on this day last year, and we're supposed to have the Champion of Champions one off first too.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
A few weeks ago there was some discussion about the Edinburgh Taskmaster shows. We found some clips of the one-off they did with five TV executives as contestants, a year or two after the show hit the air. But there was something else we couldn't find footage for - Alex Horne's original Edinburgh show "The Taskmaster". Someone has finally reuploaded a segment of the video I remember seeing long ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3FS-pSQ6Gg
Of the original 8 minute video, the uploader has taken a 20 second segment, and added another 20 seconds of bumpers. Ho Hum. At least now there's a point of reference for the footage I and others were looking for...

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

OK, ignore that link, the whole thing is archived!

https://web.archive.org/web/20210720211355/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjA1zzKe688

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

That didn’t last long :(

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Interesting that Mike Wozniak had pulled the trick of planting evidence of a much more impressive thing than he actually had in the original Taskmaster as well as in the real thing.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Also seems like the audience latched onto the joke much more readily first time round - given how he scored it, I'm not confident that Greg got it in the moment.

Sorry you can't get at the video Pie, I promise it hasn't been taken down yet, but archive.org isn't the most reliable thing...

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Latest Kongen Befaler is basically a non-stop gently caress you to the concept of health and safety.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Unkempt posted:

Latest Kongen Befaler is basically a non-stop gently caress you to the concept of health and safety.

It also have a grown man dressing as a baby and then breaking down in shame afterwards.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Alhazred posted:

It also have a grown man dressing as a baby and then breaking down in shame afterwards.

Oh, wait, I haven't seen that one yet. I meant the one with throwing a burning bowling ball into a tub of petrol, cramming four small children onto a bicycle and having one fall off and winning a game by smashing your own hand into a mousetrap.

Good to hear it continues.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Convincing the panel of children that you are the coolest is another great task. Would not be surprised to see that one in the other Scandinavian series in the near future - Stormester already did the same with "Convince this Finn that you are the most famous panellist", a similar task that originated in an earlier series of KB. Kristine is now my favourite out of the panel - her prize task this week was a well-honed bit of material.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Taskmasker Portugal started last night. I haven't seen any response to say how good or bad its is...

edit: some Reddit's claim it's a reasonable start. Expect long episodes such is Portuguese Saturday night television; extra tasks and two in the studio.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 20, 2022

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Taskmaster Sweden: Everybody put on your goggles, we're going to throw some forks into a bucket.

Taskmaster Norway: MOST FORKS IN THE EYES WINS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Unkempt posted:

Oh, wait, I haven't seen that one yet. I meant the one with throwing a burning bowling ball into a tub of petrol, cramming four small children onto a bicycle and having one fall off and winning a game by smashing your own hand into a mousetrap.

Good to hear it continues.

Keep in mind that Atle Antonsen started his career on a radio show that among other things blew up a dead badger in a freezer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuuR_C-qz-I