Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are these 2018/2019 mbp’s at all decent at gaming? I have no idea how good the 560x gpu is or isn’t. I could put windows 10 on it and use it as a lightweight gaming rig but I already have a laptop with a 1050ti in it, so if it can’t best that, it’s probably not worth it.

E: looks like the 1050ti is still a good amount faster

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti-Mobile-vs-AMD-RX-560/m223242vs3926

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Mine was… OK. The fans have to maintain jet engine speeds, so you definitely want to game with headphones.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Are these 2018/2019 mbp’s at all decent at gaming? I have no idea how good the 560x gpu is or isn’t. I could put windows 10 on it and use it as a lightweight gaming rig but I already have a laptop with a 1050ti in it, so if it can’t best that, it’s probably not worth it.

I thought there were some tests comparing the 560x vs the Vega vs the 5500...but can't find them

I really, really miss Anandtech's Mac reviews and benchmarks. Every other place just does dumb poo poo like Geekbench.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The whole "check at 8AM on launch day" thing that I thought was reserved for iPhones is actually true for all products. Every single Apple Store in my state and the one next door had stock available for pick-up on the Mac Studio, which isn't all that surprising considering it's not every day someone decides they need a new powerhouse of a computer. Got mine reserved for noon, but going to try and pick it up a bit earlier. We'll see.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, if anyone wants a display now rather than in 3-4 weeks, get one in store today.

Not sure why you can’t do the $8 courier delivery for those, I think those come from the local store.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

I thought there were some tests comparing the 560x vs the Vega vs the 5500...but can't find them

I really, really miss Anandtech's Mac reviews and benchmarks. Every other place just does dumb poo poo like Geekbench.

Best I could find was a 560x vs a Vega on a 2018 MBP

https://barefeats.com/macbook-pro-vega-20-versus-560x.html

And a 560x on three different MBPs:

https://barefeats.com/rmbp-2019-vs-2018.html

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

E: looks like the 1050ti is still a good amount faster

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti-Mobile-vs-AMD-RX-560/m223242vs3926

I assume you mean via boot camp, so I want to point out one major deficiency that I discovered trying to do the same with a 2018 MBP.

One of the best things about using a Mac for gaming is that they have better speakers than most PC lappers, and that’s definitely true for those MBPs. However, the Boot Camp sound driver doesn’t utilize them properly. It sounds like there’s a strict high pass filter on everything, so you only get an incredibly tinny output of only treble (which will indeed be drowned out by the fans).

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

hatty posted:

the studio display camera add like five pounds to her how strange

Doesn’t this camera have that feature where it can follow you throughout the frame? My hunch is they’re using a wider angle lens and then zooming in, since they’ve only got 12mp to work with and it’s a crappy sensor, it ends up looking even worse than if they’d just showed everything the lens captures. Wider angles are also much less flattering!

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

frogbs posted:

Doesn’t this camera have that feature where it can follow you throughout the frame? My hunch is they’re using a wider angle lens and then zooming in, since they’ve only got 12mp to work with and it’s a crappy sensor, it ends up looking even worse than if they’d just showed everything the lens captures. Wider angles are also much less flattering!

That’s almost correct. It’s the distance from the camera to the face that determines the distortion you’re speaking of, not the focal length. What wide angle lenses often portray, however, is barrel distortion towards the edges of the picture frame. Her face was probably not in the center of the picture, so Center Stage zoomed in on the edge of the picture, where her face is stretched wide.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whoa. Sidecar rules. Using the iPad as a second monitor (and always having a second monitor with me) is gonna be a game changer

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Went over to my local fruit stand today to look at the new monitors.

I use an LG 5K right now so from that perspective here are a few notes:
1. The nano glass looks like a really nice upgrade and I'd get it if I were buying one
2. The Apple display is significantly more stable on the desk, where as the LG wobbles when you type heavily
3. The non adjustable display height is equivalent to the adjustable height stand at its lowest position
4. The non adjustable display height is equivalent to the outgoing 27" and a Studio fits under it with vertical space left over
5. The Apple speakers sound a lot better but I use headphones for everything already
6. The Apple display is a lot thicker in person than I expected, but I think that comes down to the enclosure being aluminum rather than black

Sooo to sum it up, I went with the intention of buying a non-adjustable glossy display and left deciding that I'd need to buy a nano glass adjustable or vesa mount.

I don't mind spending money on displays but I can't justify the price for a very small upgrade even though the LG has some annoying issues including:
1. Screen unevenness (yellowing)
2. Need to adjust brightness every time I wake it from sleep
3. The bezel cracked at both corners all on its own

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Whoa. Sidecar rules. Using the iPad as a second monitor (and always having a second monitor with me) is gonna be a game changer

It's amazing.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Man that 80% number on battery cut off feels perfectly chosen to never pay out on AppleCare. Mine expires in June and it's now at 83%.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

smackfu posted:

Yeah, if anyone wants a display now rather than in 3-4 weeks, get one in store today.

Not sure why you can’t do the $8 courier delivery for those, I think those come from the local store.

You can! I couriered a Studio and Studio Display this afternoon, easy-peasey.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Picked up the Mac Studio. Very fast, very chunky. Love it.

It especially feels nice to be back on a real Mac again. Everything just works, and honestly, that's why I keep coming back.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Uh,

Apparently there's extra ssd slots in the Studio and this thing seems reasonably repairable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY0gRMpT4AY

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

nerdrum posted:

Uh,

Apparently there's extra ssd slots in the Studio and this thing seems reasonably repairable?

Looks like it's a non-standard SSD size though, so you'll not be able to just throw in a market price m2 SSD from amazon/newegg/etc.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
with the M2 Pro Mini rumors basically all-but-confirmed, I’m wondering how Apple will handle model refreshes for computers that share the same chip.

Will the Mx Pro Mini get updated alongside the base model or will it get refreshed with the MacBook Pros?

Will the Mx Max Mac Studio get updated alongside its more powerful twin? Will it happen when the Mx Max MacBook Pros get updated?

Will all future Macs get refreshed at the same time?

TLDR- I’m curious to see how much of a disconnect or lag there will be between product refreshes.

I can’t imagine that Apple will stick for an additional year with, say, the M1 Ultra Mac Studio once the MacBook Pros are on M2 Ultra, etc.

But also this is Apple :shrug:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Splinter posted:

Looks like it's a non-standard SSD size though, so you'll not be able to just throw in a market price m2 SSD from amazon/newegg/etc.

Furthermore: smart money is that (as with every other T1/2 or M1 Mac with modular flash) these aren't whole SSDs, just flash modules.

With these Apple SoCs, the SSD controller is integrated. If it's a portable machine, they just solder some flash on the motherboard, connect it to the SoC, and call it done. If it's a desktop Mac with more internal space, they sometimes modularize the flash to make their supply chain more flexible, or even to permit upgrades (as in the 2019 Mac Pro).

The interface to these modules is raw NAND flash signals, or perhaps a buffered version. A M.2 SSD, on the other hand, packages a standalone SSD controller chip with some flash on a module. The interface to a M.2 module is NVMe protocol over PCIe.

Since these two things are so different at the electrical and protocol level, there will be no way to make a cheap passive M.2 adapter card, it's not just a matter of working around a different size and connector.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

MrBond posted:

Man that 80% number on battery cut off feels perfectly chosen to never pay out on AppleCare. Mine expires in June and it's now at 83%.
Still worth taking it in, if you get a nice Genius and explain how the short battery life has been affecting you they can sometimes be flexible on the 80% thing.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

nerdrum posted:

Uh,

So that's what modular meant

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

LODGE NORTH posted:

So that's what modular meant

I’m fascinated by the dual SSD ports.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Maybe they'll eventually offer something like this for the Studio. At those prices though it's not worth counting on if you have a need for a ton of internal storage. Will be curious to see if the highest storage configs actually make use of both ports.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Whelp no studios in stock in Brisbane. Gotta place an order to have it delivered mid April.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Ok Comboomer posted:

with the M2 Pro Mini rumors basically all-but-confirmed, I’m wondering how Apple will handle model refreshes for computers that share the same chip.

Will the Mx Pro Mini get updated alongside the base model or will it get refreshed with the MacBook Pros?

Will the Mx Max Mac Studio get updated alongside its more powerful twin? Will it happen when the Mx Max MacBook Pros get updated?

TLDR- I’m curious to see how much of a disconnect or lag there will be between product refreshes.

I can’t imagine that Apple will stick for an additional year with, say, the M1 Ultra Mac Studio once the MacBook Pros are on M2 Ultra, etc.

I highly highly doubt MacBook Pros will get the Ultra chip.
I believe the chip segmentation they want is how they’ve rolled it out.
Ultra will be "pro" desktop class only. Mac Mini and iMac will never see Max or Ultra as well. They may get pro versions but I doubt it.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 19, 2022

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Whelp no studios in stock in Brisbane. Gotta place an order to have it delivered mid April.

LODGE NORTH posted:

The whole "check at 8AM on launch day" thing that I thought was reserved for iPhones is actually true for all products. Every single Apple Store in my state and the one next door had stock available for pick-up on the Mac Studio, which isn't all that surprising considering it's not every day someone decides they need a new powerhouse of a computer. Got mine reserved for noon, but going to try and pick it up a bit earlier. We'll see.

Try again tomorrow morning. According to my sources (two random Apple employees) stores may get unspecified shipment quantities daily. Of course, my reference is that I’m in America and Apple’s logistics may be entirely different here. They probably are. But still worth trying.

—-

Also, speaking of SSDs and such, does anyone know of any nicely designed permanently-on-the-desk USB hubs or enclosures that have some sort of Apple inspired design? Satechi sells one that sat right under the Mac Mini, but I kinda of don’t want or need that. Just a few USB ports on an enclosure — or two separate products.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

Try again tomorrow morning. According to my sources (two random Apple employees) stores may get unspecified shipment quantities daily. Of course, my reference is that I’m in America and Apple’s logistics may be entirely different here. They probably are. But still worth trying.

—-

Also, speaking of SSDs and such, does anyone know of any nicely designed permanently-on-the-desk USB hubs or enclosures that have some sort of Apple inspired design? Satechi sells one that sat right under the Mac Mini, but I kinda of don’t want or need that. Just a few USB ports on an enclosure — or two separate products.

nah, I asked the guy at the apple store and he said there was no chance. I've already placed an online order. My dad wanted me to grab him an ipad while I was at the apple store and they didn't even have any of those in stock (of any model).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’d say the refresh cycle is set. Future Apple silicon designs get rolled out from the bottom up, just like M1 was. Running on a two year refresh cycle across the line.

Only wildcard I could see is if Mac Pro jumps straight to M2 and that line becomes the one to debut new silicon refreshes. A lot more exciting to talk about than the Air anyways.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Splinter posted:

It's 2242 sized (much like the series x or a handful of ultraportables storage), i think they customized the ssd pinout tho.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

That's definitely not a standard 2242 NVMe drive (e: standard M.2 I should say), it's some sort of proprietary connector (of course). But Apple putting a drive in a slot with a second empty slot is a Stevemas Miracle

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 19, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

xgalaxy posted:

I highly highly doubt MacBook Pros will get the Ultra chip.
I believe the chip segmentation they want is how they’ve rolled it out.
Ultra will be "pro" desktop class only. Mac Mini and iMac will never see Max or Ultra as well. They may get pro versions but I doubt it.

you didn’t read my post

you don’t understand what I wrote

Edit: oh I see. I meant to write Mx Max at the very end and wrote Ultra instead.

So it should’ve said- “I can’t imagine Apple selling the M1 Max Mac Studio for an additional year after the MacBook Pros have been shifted to M2 Max”

You still should’ve been able to figure out what I meant from the rest of my post.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 19, 2022

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

That is a very funny post.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

anothergod posted:

That is a very funny post.

I do my best

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

quote:

you didn’t read my post

you don’t understand what I wrote

Edit: [oh i said the wrong thing]

You still should’ve been able to figure out what I meant from the rest of my post.

lmao amazing

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

FuturePastNow posted:

That's definitely not a standard 2242 NVMe drive (e: standard M.2 I should say), it's some sort of proprietary connector (of course). But Apple putting a drive in a slot with a second empty slot is a Stevemas Miracle

It pretty much looks like Apple's standard SSD slots, which you can get adapters for to use current standard NVMe's in 2013-2015 rMBPs.

All Apple does is switch a few pins and use their proprietary slot configuration..

I'm sure Sintech will come along and make adapters for industry standard NVMe to fit into the Studios.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

It pretty much looks like Apple's standard SSD slots, which you can get adapters for to use current standard NVMe's in 2013-2015 rMBPs.

All Apple does is switch a few pins and use their proprietary slot configuration..

I'm sure Sintech will come along and make adapters for industry standard NVMe to fit into the Studios.

I'm almost certain these will be like the modules in the iMac Pro and the 2019 Mac Pro: essentially just a DIMM for flash memory chips, not a complete NVMe SSD. A simple passive connector adapter like the Sintech isn't possible, NVMe's electrical interface is PCIe and PCIe is not at all like the interface on flash chips.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol at Apple trying to setup the Ultra GPU for comparisons against the 3090 when the latter appears to perform better in most benchs

and another thing is that you can manually restrict Nvidia GPU power consumption for minimal performance degradation - I know for Machine Learning workloads, it's very common for workstation users to lop off 100W for a 10% reduction in training throughput

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

shrike82 posted:

lol at Apple trying to setup the Ultra GPU for comparisons against the 3090 when the latter appears to perform better in most benchs

yeah, and also a weird claim because at best it was going to be twice as fast as an M1 max, since it's just 2 of them put together, and the max's GPU was nowhere near a high end discrete GPU. they set themselves up for a lot reviews to conclude "it's bad compared to a 3090" instead of "wow, this is really good for an integrated GPU".

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Having placed an order for my Mac studio; I’m now turning my attention to more thoroughly researching monitors. My plan is to use my existing 27” 1440p monitor for a while, and eventually replacing with something better.

Given that the studio offers both HDMI and thunderbolt/usb c, is there any reason in particular to prefer one connection over the other? Apple made stuff tends to connect via thunderbolt, if I buy a monitor with just hdmi is that likely to be janky in any way?

I have absolutely no use for USB hubs and poo poo on my monitor, it would be purely for connecting the actual display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Having placed an order for my Mac studio; I’m now turning my attention to more thoroughly researching monitors. My plan is to use my existing 27” 1440p monitor for a while, and eventually replacing with something better.

Given that the studio offers both HDMI and thunderbolt/usb c, is there any reason in particular to prefer one connection over the other? Apple made stuff tends to connect via thunderbolt, if I buy a monitor with just hdmi is that likely to be janky in any way?

I have absolutely no use for USB hubs and poo poo on my monitor, it would be purely for connecting the actual display.

You’ll get higher refresh out of the Thunderbolt ports. HDMI 2.0 is limited to 60Hz at 4K, but Mac OS has no problem playing with higher refresh rate monitors/TVs