Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Murgos posted:

My wife got me a 16 inch oval banneton for my birthday. I had asked for an 11" but well, I guess I won't complain. Here is a 1.8 kilo sourdough loaf:

I'd pay good money for that bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

effika posted:

A Tablespoon of dry milk powder reconstitutes with 1/4C liquid, so I just sub in that much milk (skim if you care about fat ratios, but it's usually fine to use whatever) for water. Or just do all milk or all water if you want and see how it goes!
Allow me to rephrase. If a milk with... some other stuff... serves as a substitute for powdered milk (which, to reiterate, I don't have), what exactly would serve as substitute for 1 tablespoon of powdered milk? How much milk, what other stuff, how much other stuff.

Mr. Squishy posted:

With untrustworthy yeast you can give it, like, 10 minutes in a small amount of warm water with a bit of sugar to see if it's alive. It's not usually necessary w/ modern dry yeast but sometimes you get a bad batch and it's an inexpensive way to tell.
Tried doing that with two freshly bought packets of yeast (the kind that's specifically meant for a breadmaker). No reaction at all.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Xander77 posted:

Allow me to rephrase. If a milk with... some other stuff... serves as a substitute for powdered milk (which, to reiterate, I don't have), what exactly would serve as substitute for 1 tablespoon of powdered milk? How much milk, what other stuff, how much other stuff.

Powdered milk is just milk, usually nonfat, that's been sprayed out to dry as a powder. Nothing special about it and no other ingredients to worry over.

For each Tablespoon of powdered milk the recipe calls for, substitute 1/4C of real milk in for the water. You'll get what's in the powdered milk in the real milk. Some people worry about whether the powdered milk is nonfat or has fat- in which case you'd substitute nonfat (aka skim) milk or whole milk.

You don't need to replace the powder bit of it with anything else powdered.

Edit I think I get why you're confused:

beerinator posted:

This is what I would do. Just remember that there is fat in milk and if you're using regular whole milk it's not 100% water so you can't replace it 1 for 1.

If a recipe calls for dry/powered milk and you leave it out, it just means the finished bread might not be quite as tender and it might not brown as well in the oven. But other than that it should still be just fine.

Xander77, you're a home baker. What beerinator is talking about isn't going to make your loaves much different. Just leave out the powdered milk, or if you'd like to get the effects of milk, substitute some of the liquid in the recipe with milk (or other liquid like milk).

effika fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 9, 2022

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Keetron posted:

I'd pay good money for that bread.

It was absolutely amazing.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Sorry, I'm going to keep bothering this thread until I manage to bake edible bread (or until my attention span is exceeded and I wander off).

This recipe:

Except no milk at all, rye flour rather than whatever "strong brown bread flour" is supposed to be, and I poured the (regular, as far as I can tell?) dry yeast into the water (exactly 25 Celsius) along with the sugar and let it bloom for a while before adding the other ingredients.

The result is this spongey tasteless mess. What am I missing here?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Is this in a bread machine?

You should really get a digital scale and find a recipe that works in grams. Volume measurements for flour are notoriously imprecise.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Sorry, I'm going to keep bothering this thread until I manage to bake edible bread (or until my attention span is exceeded and I wander off).

This recipe:

Except no milk at all, rye flour rather than whatever "strong brown bread flour" is supposed to be, and I poured the (regular, as far as I can tell?) dry yeast into the water (exactly 25 Celsius) along with the sugar and let it bloom for a while before adding the other ingredients.

The result is this spongey tasteless mess. What am I missing here?

Well, you didn't follow the recipe, so you got that. To be fair that recipe seems to be translated so there are going to be some issues here. Plus it's by volume, not by weight, so it's even harder to get right.

Strong brown bread flour might be whole wheat bread flour? Or just normal whole wheat flour if it's made with hard winter wheat, like most US flours, which are higher protein ("stronger") than most European flours.

Rye has far less gluten than wheat, so it doesn't rise much, and that's probably most of it. Rye is a different grain entirely.

Let's find a less complicated recipe you can make with that you have, but let's leave rye out for now. (Rye is delicious so save that bag of rye flour for later, when you're more comfortable with bread.)

This page from King Arthur has some good beginning recipes and talks about ingredients, tools, why you might want to try one recipe over another, etc. Give it a look and come back here with which one you want to try, and your plan for it. We can make sure you get a good start with that recipe, and see what happens next!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

rye flour is also good for feeding to a sourdough starter if you want to go that route. mine lives in the fridge and gets fed maybe once a month, 50-50 rye and AP

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Rye will make a very dense solid loaf. Not at all like brown flour.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I looked up what a brown bread flour is and it's something's even coarser than whole wheat. I have a hard time not just getting flat cardboard when using 50% whole wheat. Rye is a bit of a different animal but I bet it had a similar effect. That much rye makes something like a porridge than anything like a loaf. I am going to guess that is what happened since I had similar misfortune with rye early on.

I eventually figured out your typical American rye brown bread is pulling shenanigans with coffee and chocolate (or straight up food coloring) with regular white bread flour to get the effect.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I looked up what a brown bread flour is and it's something's even coarser than whole wheat. I have a hard time not just getting flat cardboard when using 50% whole wheat. Rye is a bit of a different animal but I bet it had a similar effect. That much rye makes something like a porridge than anything like a loaf. I am going to guess that is what happened since I had similar misfortune with rye early on.

I eventually figured out your typical American rye brown bread is pulling shenanigans with coffee and chocolate (or straight up food coloring) with regular white bread flour to get the effect.

And most of America equates rye bread with Jewish deli rye, so we're also wanting caraway flavor and not even realizing it!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

effika posted:

And most of America equates rye bread with Jewish deli rye, so we're also wanting caraway flavor and not even realizing it!
Same, I assume. What do you need for Jewish deli rye flavor?

What's the difference between wholewheat flour and "strong wholemeal bread flour"? (I swear every single recipe in this thing insists on strong x bread flour, which no one has even heard of)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Xander77 posted:

What's the difference between wholewheat flour and "strong wholemeal bread flour"? (I swear every single recipe in this thing insists on strong x bread flour, which no one has even heard of)

Strong refers to the higher protein (gluten) content. This can be in wholemeal or white flours; the former will almost be lower in protein than the latter, whether normal or strong.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

therattle posted:

Strong refers to the higher protein (gluten) content. This can be in wholemeal or white flours; the former will almost be lower in protein than the latter, whether normal or strong.
Assuming that I can't find any strong flour (or any bread flour), would the recipes still work? Would I need to do anything to make for the protein \ gluten content?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Xander77 posted:

Assuming that I can't find any strong flour (or any bread flour), would the recipes still work? Would I need to do anything to make for the protein \ gluten content?
Depends on the recipe. You could add vital wheat gluten to increase the protein.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Xander77 posted:

The recipe will still work but you’ll just get less rise. Gluten forms into strands which form a net; these trap bubbles of gas which allows for rising. Less gluten = less net = less rise. But ordinary flour will still have enough for a decent loaf.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Everyone's answered the strong flour question, so here's the rye question's answer: caraway seeds! In the US, most rye bread is only 20-33% rye flour, and the strong flavor everyone associates it with will be a few spoons of caraway seeds per loaf (about 2--5% in baker's percent). Some people also add pickle or sauerkraut juices, or a sourdough starter for extra tang.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Xander77 posted:

You might be able to get some vital wheat gluten from places that have bulk flour bins and throw an ounce in to give you the 2% boost.

Can we ask where you're at where you got some rye flour but nothing else?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

You might be able to get some vital wheat gluten from places that have bulk flour bins and throw an ounce in to give you the 2% boost.

Can we ask where you're at where you got some rye flour but nothing else?
I got a bunch of flour but it's all purpose \ wheat \ cake, nothing that's bread specific \ "strong" (I told a lie, people around here have heard of bread specific flour, even if no one has any, but not "strong" flour)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I know I've asked this before, but, does anyone have any input on poolish-bubbling-amount-per-minute? I'm using the white bread/ap flour, Flour Water Salt Yest recipe for poolish, and he says 'after 12-14 hours in a 65-70 degree kitchen, it should be bubbling every few seconds'. The most I've ever seen it bubble is maybe once, it bubbled 7 times in 2 minutes or so, but often it's more like today's 4 times in 2 minutes. I've looked a lot earlier and a lot later than he says. like after 9-15 hours. I don't want to leave it much longer than 14-15 hours. Anyone got any input? It's pretty much a constant 70 degrees in my kitchen.

He also says to use a 'scant 1/8th of a spoon of yeast' for the poolish, and yeah, I've tried many things for that too ranging from like, 3/4 of 1/8th of a teaspoon, to 1/8th of a teaspoon but completely flat (i.e. run something flat over the top and brush away any of the pile of yeast) and have settled on either a flat non-heaped spoon, or, that with a bit of yeast taken out.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Xander77 posted:

I got a bunch of flour but it's all purpose \ wheat \ cake, nothing that's bread specific \ "strong" (I told a lie, people around here have heard of bread specific flour, even if no one has any, but not "strong" flour)

Use the all purpose flour. It's your best bet out of those. Wheat is fine but a little trickier to use than all-purpose. With all purpose you'll do just fine with most recipes.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

redreader posted:

I know I've asked this before, but, does anyone have any input on poolish-bubbling-amount-per-minute? I'm using the white bread/ap flour, Flour Water Salt Yest recipe for poolish, and he says 'after 12-14 hours in a 65-70 degree kitchen, it should be bubbling every few seconds'. The most I've ever seen it bubble is maybe once, it bubbled 7 times in 2 minutes or so, but often it's more like today's 4 times in 2 minutes. I've looked a lot earlier and a lot later than he says. like after 9-15 hours. I don't want to leave it much longer than 14-15 hours. Anyone got any input? It's pretty much a constant 70 degrees in my kitchen.

He also says to use a 'scant 1/8th of a spoon of yeast' for the poolish, and yeah, I've tried many things for that too ranging from like, 3/4 of 1/8th of a teaspoon, to 1/8th of a teaspoon but completely flat (i.e. run something flat over the top and brush away any of the pile of yeast) and have settled on either a flat non-heaped spoon, or, that with a bit of yeast taken out.

Last time I made that recipe all I remember is bubbles everywhere. I don’t think I tried to count their activity though, just the the whole mass was quite full of bubbles. 70 is kind of cool, have you tired letting it proof in the oven with the light on?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I also have bubbles everywhere, zillions of them, but they're only popping as fast as I mentioned. The recipe says 65-70, and my place is at 70, so I didn't think I needed it. I have a 100 degree bread proofing setting on my oven which I could use, but I didn't think I needed it! I can try it next time when I'm seeing no activity after 12 hours. Thanks!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, bread thread. I have a bread recipe I wanna try, but it calls for mixing the dough in a stand mixer with a dough hook on medium for 7 minutes until well combined. The problem is I don't have a stand mixer. How do I translate that into manual work? The recipe notes that the dough will be sticky, and to use a rubber spatula to scrape the dough into the baking pan afterwards. So can I just use like, a large spoon to mix everything? Or, I dunno, an electric hand mixer with the beater attachments, or what?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, bread thread. I have a bread recipe I wanna try, but it calls for mixing the dough in a stand mixer with a dough hook on medium for 7 minutes until well combined. The problem is I don't have a stand mixer. How do I translate that into manual work? The recipe notes that the dough will be sticky, and to use a rubber spatula to scrape the dough into the baking pan afterwards. So can I just use like, a large spoon to mix everything? Or, I dunno, an electric hand mixer with the beater attachments, or what?

Jeez, 7 minutes of machine kneading will equate to a LOT of hand kneading. Hand mixer won’t handle it. Do you have a food processor?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

if you want a sticky dough without a stand mixer, go for a no-knead.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

therattle posted:

Jeez, 7 minutes of machine kneading will equate to a LOT of hand kneading. Hand mixer won’t handle it. Do you have a food processor?

I do, with a dough mixing blade that's made of plastic. But, I'm not currently at home, so I'll have to see if it's big enough later. It also has no speed control; just buttons for on, pulse, and off. How will that change things as far as timing goes?

I forgot to mention earlier, the recipe is for foccacia bread, if that changes anything.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

neogeo0823 posted:

I do, with a dough mixing blade that's made of plastic. But, I'm not currently at home, so I'll have to see if it's big enough later. It also has no speed control; just buttons for on, pulse, and off. How will that change things as far as timing goes?

I forgot to mention earlier, the recipe is for foccacia bread, if that changes anything.

I have no idea But there might be online resources with equivalents. I’m pretty sure that’s a better bet than hand kneading tho. I’ve done no knead focaccia which was terrific.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

redreader posted:

I also have bubbles everywhere, zillions of them, but they're only popping as fast as I mentioned. The recipe says 65-70, and my place is at 70, so I didn't think I needed it. I have a 100 degree bread proofing setting on my oven which I could use, but I didn't think I needed it! I can try it next time when I'm seeing no activity after 12 hours. Thanks!

Thankfully weight-based recipes are standard now, but I still feel like rising temperature is often left woefully vague. "Room temperature" can mean a hell of a wide range in February depending on whether you live in Florida or Winnipeg and whether your home has AC.

My oven also has the 100F "proof" setting which I often use but I feel like it might actually be significantly hotter than most recipes expect.

I've always kind of just eyeballed how much the dough has risen and given it more or less time depending on that and treated rise times in recipes as an extremely rough estimate.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Made some whole wheat sourdough bread (no-knead as per usual). Smells tasty.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

neogeo0823 posted:

So I always use a mixer but I was originally running into a lot of videos with people that weren't and yet they seemed fine dealing with high-hydration dough. Some things I noticed:

1. Some of them would have an autolysis step. I would expect that helps everything hydrate.
2. They'd rely a lot on dough scrapers.
3. They'd put a few rests in between kneading cycles.
4. They were working just fine with their dough on a countertop.

I have noticed just like I saw with these folks that the dough is less obsessed with sticking to your hands when it has been kneaded well. That would be one sign that you made it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I made a no-knead bread in a mixer this weekend, and the crumb was pretty tight. I mixed it for 2 minutes on speed 3 with the mixer, and about 3 minutes with the dough hook. If the crumb was too tight, does that mean I had it in the mixer too long? Also, I used bread flour... would that require less mixing/kneading than AP due to the higher gluten content?

I have switched over to always using a stand mixer for kneading bread and it seems to be working ok.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's still enough of a novelty that I'm posting every bread that comes out half-way decent

I made onion bread! Which is just regular bread but with a quarter of an onion finely diced added in. Thanks to some goon who posted a youtube video on oven-spring, I've started shoving my bread in the fridge after I see noticable bubbles while folding it. Which works out to about 6 hours for the first proof then about 15 hours for the second. I think I mistook a bit of onion for bubbles and ended the first proof early, because it didn't seem to prove at all after a long night in the fridge. I was very relieved when it came out of the oven and looked as plausible as it did.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

redreader posted:

I made a no-knead bread in a mixer this weekend, and the crumb was pretty tight. I mixed it for 2 minutes on speed 3 with the mixer, and about 3 minutes with the dough hook. If the crumb was too tight, does that mean I had it in the mixer too long? Also, I used bread flour... would that require less mixing/kneading than AP due to the higher gluten content?

I have switched over to always using a stand mixer for kneading bread and it seems to be working ok.

I'm particularly lost on how much time you were running the mixer for a recipe that was no-knead.

I don't think mixer speeds are necessarily universal either. I think KitchenAid mixer #2 is supposed to be 1 revolution per second and that's the recommended speed to use in their mixers. I don't remember how the speeds scale afterwards. My Hobart chonker is also 1 revolution per second and #3 is 2 revolutions per second. Anyways, with these speeds, I have started kneading at more like 8 minutes and have noticed a better effect than when I just did three. You have the misfortune of kinda-sorta being in the middle. I guess it means you can mix more.

There are other factors that could mess with the crumb: lack of shaping, underproofing, not adjusting for additions of milk/fat.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
How strict a definition of "bread" are we adhering to?

I'm looking for a good galette dough recipe. I have a decent pie dough recipe, but I want something that is less crunchy/solid/crumbly and more crispy/chewy. I'm looking to make seasonal fruit galettes mostly (strawberry, cherry, stone fruit, w/e). Does anyone have a good one they can recommend?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

effika posted:

Well, you didn't follow the recipe, so you got that.
I mean, the recipe did say "rye bread" and ask for "dark bread from strong flour"

But what would be a good recipe for borodinsky style rye bread?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

HolHorsejob posted:

How strict a definition of "bread" are we adhering to?

I'm looking for a good galette dough recipe. I have a decent pie dough recipe, but I want something that is less crunchy/solid/crumbly and more crispy/chewy. I'm looking to make seasonal fruit galettes mostly (strawberry, cherry, stone fruit, w/e). Does anyone have a good one they can recommend?

Try a blitz puff pastry.
A place I used to work at we used croissant dough as a base for an apple tart, you could try that too if you're down to do the laminating.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cookie thread probably has more unleavened heads too.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Xander77 posted:

I mean, the recipe did say "rye bread" and ask for "dark bread from strong flour"

But what would be a good recipe for borodinsky style rye bread?

No, the recipe you posted was not translated well and didn't mention rye at all in the English version. If we'd known you wanted a rye bread, we could have steered you better.

Looks like Borodinsky rye is a whole-rye style sourdough bread with molasses and coriander and sometimes caraway. Mostly-rye breads will always have a tendency to pancake out like that due to the low gluten content-- I suggest trying it in a loaf pan next time.

This recipe seems OK at a glance, and has a lot of photos to show what it should look like at each stage. See if that can get you a better result!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Well it came out good.