Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

mearn posted:

Was very saddened to hear this. I did some work with Josh for the website about a year and a half ago, when I really needed the work. He was great to work with and super supportive. Obviously, very funny too. This sucks.

Aw, wonder what happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Trader Sam's is fun if you have 4 people or so, but sharing a table with people you don't know if you only have 2 can be weird and the terrace is nice to sit out on.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It can also be great. Sharing something like that with strangers is always a dice roll but generally I've found the folks that go to Sam's to be pretty cool.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 17, 2022

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Doronin posted:

I've been to Trader Sam's a bunch of times, but never knew Terrace existed. Drinks are identical all the way through, except I swear the Terrace ones give a stronger pour. You can even purchase the souvenir tiki mugs at the Terrace.

Those mugs loving rule

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Junkie Disease posted:

Those mugs loving rule

On our honeymoon my wife and I got tipsy at Trader Sam's and I impulsively bought a first-edition Krakatoa mug. I've literally never used it again but it's still one of the favorite things I own in my pantry.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Only TS mug I don't own is the Nautilus. Going back this October after 2.5 years without any travel, I think I just might grab it after I crush one by myself.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Tim Whatley posted:

Only TS mug I don't own is the Nautilus. Going back this October after 2.5 years without any travel, I think I just might grab it after I crush one by myself.

We're going down on Friday. If we end up going to Sam's, I'd be happy to snag one for you if they're available. Check your PMs.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Literally have only ever done trader sam's as a couple sharing a table with other random people. At worst, it's just an ok experience, at best you get to meet some super great folks

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

We have a Christmas tiki mug from Sam's that is the elephant from jungle cruise in a Santa hat, we use it to store candy canes

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Hazo posted:

On our honeymoon my wife and I got tipsy at Trader Sam's and I impulsively bought a first-edition Krakatoa mug. I've literally never used it again but it's still one of the favorite things I own in my pantry.

not first edition but I use it daily

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I think I've only got the original Zombie mug and a second-ed Hippopota-Mai-Tai mug, but I make excuses to break them out and use them. I love them so much.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

All I have is the Polynesian Pearl cup, which is just for display. The shape's not really convenient for drinking from.

If you want seriously good tiki drinks in Orlando, hit up Aku Aku downtown and the Suffering Bastard in Sanford. Higher quality drinks than Trader Sam's but lower prices.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
When we went to trader sam's in disneyland, I didn't realize they had completely different mugs. We bought the piranha one and the octopus bowl thing.

We have a first edition hippopatamaitai which is my favorite, a first edition krakatoa, and uhoah which I have bamboo growing out of.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

All I have is the Polynesian Pearl cup, which is just for display. The shape's not really convenient for drinking from.

If you want seriously good tiki drinks in Orlando, hit up Aku Aku downtown and the Suffering Bastard in Sanford. Higher quality drinks than Trader Sam's but lower prices.

How is it for me a non booze guy who wants cool drinks?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

chitoryu12 posted:

You know what it is good for though: transporting charger cords in your backpack on flights.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

DC Murderverse posted:

You know what it is good for though: transporting charger cords in your backpack on flights.

That's what the tin for the lightsaber belt buckle holster is for.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Junkie Disease posted:

Both of them are very capable at creating mocktails on the spot. They're run by some of the most skilled bartenders in the Orlando area, so as long as you can list flavors and ingredients you like they can whip something up. The Bastard also has a menu of food like Cuban sandwiches, Spam and rice bowls, crab rangoon, etc.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Hazo posted:

We're going down on Friday. If we end up going to Sam's, I'd be happy to snag one for you if they're available. Check your PMs.

Appreciate the offer but I'll grab it when I get down there. A symbolic victory haha. Have a good time!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Doronin posted:

I've been to Trader Sam's a bunch of times, but never knew Terrace existed. Drinks are identical all the way through, except I swear the Terrace ones give a stronger pour. You can even purchase the souvenir tiki mugs at the Terrace.

I actually prefer the Terrace to the inside most of the time. Unless I'm specifically in the mood for the interactivity.

The best thing about the terrace is now you can order your Capt. Cooks food and bring it to the table, and the food there is usually better than what they serve at Sams (and cheaper too) and they have the guy playing a ukelele and that owns too.

Seconding the Aku Aku recommendation. Their drinks got me hosed up. Their signature drink is a cocktail made with a jalapeno tincture and it's called the Tiger Fucker.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 18, 2022

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Junkie Disease posted:

they do an okay job at it, but you aren't going to get anything that'll knock your socks off and, from what I've been told, aku aku lets patrons have a little too much for a fun atmosphere. so bring some tolerance for drunken shitheads.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

New dole whip flavors at Springs include lemon + blue cookie dough and habanero + lime. Need to try both asap but I don't think anything will top the coconut + POG juice dole whip.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/zhaabowekwe/status/1504621921278865414

edit: well at least Disney didn't let them wear these

alg fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 18, 2022

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

alg posted:

https://twitter.com/zhaabowekwe/status/1504621921278865414

edit: well at least Disney didn't let them wear these

Terrible!

They should have been performing in Frontierland.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Gross

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:cripes: what was I saying the other day?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
:eyepop:

Yowza, that's amazing.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Oof, if you can believe it the rest of the thread gets worse

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The tweets say Disney explicitly approved the chant which I don't see any verification of, and I don't imagine they require cheer teams to submit all their cheers in writing but a big giant headdress is kind of hard to miss and easy to flag. I can't imagine someone that would say no to the headdresses would say yes to the chant.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah my guess is nobody checked the chant because they assumed they wouldn't have to but it's America after all. They will be now!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

So I know someone whose kid is in the marching band for this school and from what I understand, there was no talk about the chant beforehand, just a Disney rep telling the drill team (the Indianettes) right before they went out to march that they can't wear the war bonnets. The kids were like "Ok, cool, whatever" but the parents were "confused" and "unsure why they couldn't wear the entire uniform."

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Braksgirl posted:

the parents were "confused" and "unsure why they couldn't wear the entire uniform."
Let's just check the ol' Wikipedia entry for Port Neches, Texas...

"As of the census of 2000 (...) The racial makeup of the city was 94.75% White"

Yes, very confusing indeed.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/ScottGustin/status/1504866107236225047

Disney says they swapped the chant

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I wonder what they chanted last time? Disney didn't have a problem with the bonnets then.

https://twitter.com/superweeniehtjr/status/1504875384143237120?s=21

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I am currently experiencing the joy of calling Disney to update the credit card associated with my Magic Key.

I have heard Circle of Life way too many times now.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Roth posted:

I am currently experiencing the joy of calling Disney to update the credit card associated with my Magic Key.

I have heard Circle of Life way too many times now.

is it the original or some weird cover

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

is it the original or some weird cover

It's the original just in very low quality audio.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Disney LEAPING to release a statement about this but it took them how long to say something about the Don't Say Gay bill. Fun stuff.

Rough few weeks for the Rat House.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Back at Universal for a single day, not great!
Spiderman froze on at least 3 screens. Transformers on one. Forbidden Journey really needs new projectors, audio was out of sync and color is super washed out and picture blurry. Half of islands was down this morning (hulk, Kong, Hagrids).
Fast and furious was the terrible laugh fest I was really hoping it would be.

Edit: finally got on Hagrids after avoiding it all day, found out there was a single rider line and was on and off in less than 30 and holy poo poo that ride is amazing.

couldcareless fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 21, 2022

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Well it took me 4 years but 4 years ago I posted my Haunted Mansion tattoo and then mentioned I had a gap to fill in with something. While I didn't just wanna slap the Tower of Terror on my arm (since both connecting pieces are subtle Disney Parks references), I am an enormous fan of Twilight Zone and I think I found a decent substitute. 8 hours later:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
That's odd. Universal is typically pretty good about maintaining ride show quality.

Conversely, Disney is terrible at maintaining ride show quality but the parks themselves look great while Univeral's parks are dinged up and rundown.