Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Everyone I know who has bought a used tank did it down south. Nobody up here wants to get rid of a tank they paid for, or their heirs are dumb and return it when they die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Advent Horizon posted:

Everyone I know who has bought a used tank did it down south. Nobody up here wants to get rid of a tank they paid for, or their heirs are dumb and return it when they die.

I see argon/co2 tanks for sale on Craigslist all the time here in the PNW. If you get a smaller one most of those are owned. Where size really matters a lot is an oxy-acetylene rig. I got mine off Craigslist along with the hoses and torch with some tips for like $200. It came out of a storage unit auction and from the looks of it the acetylene tank is rented and the oxy tank is owned. Both have a decent amount of gas in them though and the torch, oxy tank, and gas are probably worth more than I paid even if the acetylene tank is rented, so I’m fine. Acetylene tanks aren’t as expensive anyway because they aren’t made to handle as much pressure.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

therobit posted:

I see argon/co2 tanks for sale on Craigslist all the time here in the PNW. If you get a smaller one most of those are owned. Where size really matters a lot is an oxy-acetylene rig. I got mine off Craigslist along with the hoses and torch with some tips for like $200. It came out of a storage unit auction and from the looks of it the acetylene tank is rented and the oxy tank is owned. Both have a decent amount of gas in them though and the torch, oxy tank, and gas are probably worth more than I paid even if the acetylene tank is rented, so I’m fine. Acetylene tanks aren’t as expensive anyway because they aren’t made to handle as much pressure.

I got my argon tank with the tig welder I bought. It wasn't company owned/tagged. I brought it to my local tradie hardware store that does tank exchange and they were fine with it to go into their tank exchange pool. Their tank exchange tanks aren't tagged either: if you don't have one to put in you pay for one + gas on your first trip. It's then your tank.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Motronic posted:

I got my argon tank with the tig welder I bought. It wasn't company owned/tagged. I brought it to my local tradie hardware store that does tank exchange and they were fine with it to go into their tank exchange pool. Their tank exchange tanks aren't tagged either: if you don't have one to put in you pay for one + gas on your first trip. It's then your tank.

Interesting. Generally out here you get your gas from a welding supply shop and if you don’t own a tank they will lease you one for $50-$60/year. Although anything under about 125cf is generally assumed to be an owner tank.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

therobit posted:

Interesting. Generally out here you get your gas from a welding supply shop and if you don’t own a tank they will lease you one for $50-$60/year. Although anything under about 125cf is generally assumed to be an owner tank.

You can do that here too if you go with Airgas or similar, but it's more expensive and a bigger pain in the rear end unless you do enough business with them that they're coming out to swap tanks for you.

I really dislike when I have to swap an acetylene tank and usually have a friend with a pickup/utility box move it for me so I'm not laying one of those things on its side or trying to drag my trailer through a very tight set of streets to get back to their circa 1800s building.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I own all my tanks and never have I had one refilled, roll them to the loading dock and roll away an already filled cylinder. I'm pretty sure that at least one or two have collars welded onto them but the only question I'm ever asked is if I'm paying cash.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I have a fancy aluminum tank, and I got to recertify it as they would only fill it, not exchange it.
Cost $100 ish to have it tested, and took a week or so.

Kind of annoying, but that was my fault for buying the fancy-rear end one instead of the normal on you just exchange.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Managed to burn up the motor on my 15A Super Sawzall cutting up the hot tub the previous owners left on my deck. Cut through most of the fiberglass with a DualSaw (remember those?). Rented a Makita reciprocating saw from Home Depot to finish the job. Wrestled with the barely functional blade lock for a few minutes before it would take a blade. Blade lock broke catastrophically after 45 minutes. Returned the tool. Wasn't even able to drop off my Sawzall for repair because nobody was there to fill out the paperwork (the store manager suggested leaving the saw and my name/number but gently caress that).

At least on the way home I was able to swing by the Craigslist Killer's apartment and buy a 1,200 ft-lb Kobalt impact with a bunch of barely used sockets for $75.

I don't even haggle anymore if someone has an item that's reasonably priced, as described, and they don't dick me around on scheduling a meetup.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
How do you jack up a car with a low-profile skirt? I've got a 2017 mazda3, and I'm trying to get under it to change the oil. It's too low for a bottle jack, and the jack points are way in the middle of the vehicle (and my driveway isn't great)

If I really work at it, I can roll my floor jack to the front jack point, but I don't have enough clearance to actually crank the handle.

What's an easy, available & safe way to get those few extra inches? Ideally one that doesn't involve buying or driving an hour and a half to borrow ramps. I've got jackstands, I just need to get the drat car up

jeremiah johnson
Nov 3, 2007

HolHorsejob posted:

What's an easy, available & safe way to get those few extra inches? Ideally one that doesn't involve buying or driving an hour and a half to borrow ramps. I've got jackstands, I just need to get the drat car up
homemade 2x6 ramps?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Two tricks when using a bottle jack, either drive the car over a small ditch to get the clearance you need or find a big rock to drive up. This is side of the road advice, but it works in a driveway too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

jeremiah johnson posted:

homemade 2x6 ramps?

Yeah I have to drive my miata onto some boards to get it high enough to gte the jack under the subframe.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Just cut or find some scraps of two-by construction lumber to drive the front wheels onto. This will get you enough clearance to get a floor jack underneath. Or go the lazy route and do what I did and buy a special aluminum low profile jack.

I once built a set of stepped ramps out of 2x8 or 2x10. They worked great, but they were very long and super heavy so I never wanted to use them.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

HolHorsejob posted:

How do you jack up a car with a low-profile skirt? I've got a 2017 mazda3, and I'm trying to get under it to change the oil. It's too low for a bottle jack, and the jack points are way in the middle of the vehicle (and my driveway isn't great)

If I really work at it, I can roll my floor jack to the front jack point, but I don't have enough clearance to actually crank the handle.

What's wrong with ramps? They're not expensive, easy to use, and useful for other stuff. On our Honda Fits, the jack points are central, so I run the car up one ramp to get to the front easily. Stacking lumber is basically making your own ramps.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

On my MS3, the skirt was so low that I had to drive it up on 2x4s just so it would clear the start of the ramps. But it was still the best way to get under it to change the oil.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

ryanrs posted:

If you buy a company marked tank on CL you might not be able to exchange it/get it filled. Consider this possibility if you find a good deal on a CL tank.

I don't know where you are but in texas none of the gas companies care about this at all. I asked them repeatedly about this and they just said they don't check or care. Though I guess it is a possibility.

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

HolHorsejob posted:

Does the handle come off of your jack? If so, can you start it with something shorter (wrench, ratchet handle etc) and then put the handle back in. The first few inches should just be unloading the suspension so it should take less force.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

HolHorsejob posted:

I have a low car and can't get to the front center jack point without some work. I will jack the car up using the under-door side jack point, and then place a large piece of 4x4 blocking under the front tire on that side. Drop the jack out and let the car rest on the blocking. That gives me enough clearance to get the center jack point, then I put jackstands in and proceed as normal. Do the reverse for letting the car down.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Cat Hatter posted:

At least on the way home I was able to swing by the Craigslist Killer's apartment and buy a 1,200 ft-lb Kobalt impact with a bunch of barely used sockets for $75.

I don't even haggle anymore if someone has an item that's reasonably priced, as described, and they don't dick me around on scheduling a meetup.

Update: The battery wouldn't charge beyond 2 bars and the impact refused to work after about 10 lug nuts. I assume that's why the guy was only asking for the retail price of the sockets. Oh well, the date code on the impact is only 2 years ago so I took the whole thing to Lowe's and they gave me a brand new one.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

Update: The battery wouldn't charge beyond 2 bars and the impact refused to work after about 10 lug nuts. I assume that's why the guy was only asking for the retail price of the sockets. Oh well, the date code on the impact is only 2 years ago so I took the whole thing to Lowe's and they gave me a brand new one.

Nicely done. New battery in the kit too? Can it take off lug nuts now?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Cat Hatter posted:

Much shade to the guy who sold it but awesome you could get an exchange.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

Much shade to the guy who sold it but awesome you could get an exchange.
It sounds like the seller sold it cheap enough that the buyer could have just bought a battery for it and gone about his business (assuming the reason the impact wrench quit working after 10 lug nuts was because of battery problems).

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

PBCrunch posted:

It sounds like the seller sold it cheap enough that the buyer could have just bought a battery for it and gone about his business (assuming the reason the impact wrench quit working after 10 lug nuts was because of battery problems).

Pretty sure it wasn't. I put a different battery on to check and it was doing the same thing, which was giving three tiny blips without spinning, even when I was just holding it in the air.

I was kind of expecting the battery wouldn't be up to par, but it's nice to have Kobalt's generous warranty to fall back on. I once bought a display Kobalt lawnmower and called to get the bolts that hold the handle on and they told me to just take the mower back to the store and get a different one (turns out you have to call Greenworks if you want parts for yard equipment).

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

I need to go get an 80 tank of argon but only have my wife's Kia today, are those things fine to transport in the back seat?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, just belt it in. Would be better in the trunk. You can put it in any position, only acetylene tanks have issues being transported non vertical and only liquid and dissolved gas (acetylene) tanks need to be vertical during use.

Edit: make sure it has a transport cap on it.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

kastein posted:

Yeah, just belt it in. Would be better in the trunk. You can put it in any position, only acetylene tanks have issues being transported non vertical and only liquid and dissolved gas (acetylene) tanks need to be vertical during use.

Edit: make sure it has a transport cap on it.

cool deal, thanks!

Gunna learn to TIG!

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Could somebody with an 80cf tank please measure the size from floor to top without the transport cap?

I have a height limitation under my storage racks and if it won’t roll underneath I might as well buy a 125cf. I’m right near the limit and I’m not sure if the online dimensions include the cap or not.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Can you use the argon gas to give yourself a temporary deep voice?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

PBCrunch posted:

Density (kg/m^3)
0.1786 helium
1.225 air
1.784 argon
6.17 sulfur hexafluoride

Verdict: not really, no

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

Advent Horizon posted:

Could somebody with an 80cf tank please measure the size from floor to top without the transport cap?

I have a height limitation under my storage racks and if it won’t roll underneath I might as well buy a 125cf. I’m right near the limit and I’m not sure if the online dimensions include the cap or not.

I just got home with an 80cf tank ant it's a little over 37" with the cap on, which I haven't gotten off yet. It's on real tight and I gotta figure out what tool I've got that'll remove it.
The cap looks like it only adds an inch to the height at most

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Well, darn. That’s right at my limit even without a cart underneath it. Thanks!

I’m not too upset about getting a bigger tank though.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Advent Horizon posted:

Well, darn. That’s right at my limit even without a cart underneath it. Thanks!

I’m not too upset about getting a bigger tank though.

Yeah, 125s and 250s are the way to go.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PBCrunch posted:

generally speaking you shouldn't inhale gases that are heavier than air, even if they are inert, because they don't like leaving your lungs.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

um excuse me posted:

generally speaking you shouldn't inhale gases that are heavier than air, even if they are inert, because they don't like leaving your lungs.

So you're saying those inversion tables sold on late night TV should be considered PPE?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

If you’re going to try inhaling gasses from welding tanks you may as well do straight oxygen.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Advent Horizon posted:

If you’re going to try inhaling gasses from welding tanks you may as well do straight oxygen.

Will that get you high enough to think your normal voice sounds funny?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

MattO posted:

I just got home with an 80cf tank ant it's a little over 37" with the cap on, which I haven't gotten off yet. It's on real tight and I gotta figure out what tool I've got that'll remove it.

The proper tool is a hammer. Lightly tap along the bottom of the transport cap where it's threaded onto the cylinder. You're not trying to impart torque with the hammer; you're just lightly jostling the threads and loosen any crap in there. Just tap tap tap while trying to turn it by hand and it should come off.

um excuse me posted:

That's not true. Your lungs are strong as hell and have no problem expelling even very heavy fluids like water.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ryanrs posted:

That's not true. Your lungs are strong as hell and have no problem expelling even very heavy fluids like water.

It's a minor concern if you're doing SF6 whip-its that more SF6 would remain in your lungs after breathing out than a less-dense gas, but I agree, you'll be fine if you take a few deep breaths of normal air.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

It's a minor concern if you're doing SF6 whip-its that more SF6 would remain in your lungs after breathing out than a less-dense gas, but I agree, you'll be fine if you take a few deep breaths of normal air.

Post/username combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Safety Dance posted:

Worst case you lie down on your bed and lean forward out of it or do a safety hand stand.