Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I have been mentally preparing myself for a summer release for the combined map. I'd say that's a pretty safe bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Double Bill posted:

If the codebase wasn't a tangled mess of spaghetti I'd be a little more optimistic. I can't remember how long it took for them to sort out the Norsca mess for WH2, but I'd multiply that effort by a few times to bring all the WH2 races and mechanics to this one.
Yeah I'm a little concerned about the whole revelation that the WH3 branch was cut from WH2 in 2019, so they have a lot of catching up to do in terms of simply adding the improvements from WH2 post-2019 to WH3. They cant simply merge the code because of the aforementioned spaghetti codebase (there is still stuff from Rome 1 in the code lmao) because the changes in WH3 diverged from WH2 so everything will have to be added carefully and tested exhaustively.

Hopefully they can un-gently caress the Greenskin campaign Waaagh mechanic when they do it. (only one can go at a time so you cannot have multiple greenskins in a MP campaign or someone is getting shafted, the AI can do it on cooldown (they dont have to fill a bar) and Grimgrog is always the one to call one because his name comes up first in the turn order tracker, to just to name a few things).

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I finished my first game 3 campaign last night, VH/N N’kari. I’ve been continuing for several turns to get an achievement for a special Slaanesh landmark building in the middle of the map. I got construction underway, so just a few more turns until I’m done.

So what I gather is supposed to happen, is that no new rifts open. Any rifts that are currently open stay up indefinitely until manually closed, but they no longer spit out demons?

After I won, other races continued to go into rifts looking for the souls. One of them managed to get all four, and I got the pop up telling me I might have to go to the Forge to intercept them. When this happened, a bunch of new rifts popped up, including in my territory.

Does Be’lakor become available outside of the campaign like Sarthoreal or Todbringer? I stopped playing when the game crashed, and I only came back to click around and see if he was there. I didn’t see anything.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Collapsing Farts posted:

Nurgle is getting a "fundamental adjustment"? :stare:

Nurgle's entire shtick is that they're glacially slow but super durable. In practice they eat poo poo dealing with Tzeentch, are super easy to lap in Domination maps, Ku'gath is a weak lord in MP and they have a lot of roster gaps. They're also utterly one note, though at least it's a fun note. They're also in the camp of campaign mechanics making the player eat poo poo if you fight them because it's trivially easy to end up with 8-11 turn duration plagues fighting them normally.

I think they'll preserve all the current strengths and flavor but might introduce a little bit of extra power or even a quick unit or two. Chaos Warriors Halberds would be very welcome. I also recall reading the original Nurgle previews and thinking they'd have A LOT more regeneration in their roster than they actually do. It'd take a fine touch to avoid sudden explosive power creep but.. maybe Plaguebearers? It'd give them a bit more punch, especially if they aren't focused down, and it balances nicely in that Plaguebearers absolutely can't flee from a fight to avoid being finished.

But yeah, Nurgle needs adjustments, at least one big one.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Dr Christmas posted:

I finished my first game 3 campaign last night, VH/N N’kari. I’ve been continuing for several turns to get an achievement for a special Slaanesh landmark building in the middle of the map. I got construction underway, so just a few more turns until I’m done.

So what I gather is supposed to happen, is that no new rifts open. Any rifts that are currently open stay up indefinitely until manually closed, but they no longer spit out demons?

After I won, other races continued to go into rifts looking for the souls. One of them managed to get all four, and I got the pop up telling me I might have to go to the Forge to intercept them. When this happened, a bunch of new rifts popped up, including in my territory.

Does Be’lakor become available outside of the campaign like Sarthoreal or Todbringer? I stopped playing when the game crashed, and I only came back to click around and see if he was there. I didn’t see anything.

Rifts will continue forever in cycles after you "win" but they wont spit out demons anymore

I'm on like turn 300 here in a gimmick game of mine I keep returning to and there are still rifts everywhere

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Doomykins posted:

Nurgle's entire shtick is that they're glacially slow but super durable. In practice they eat poo poo dealing with Tzeentch, are super easy to lap in Domination maps, Ku'gath is a weak lord in MP and they have a lot of roster gaps. They're also utterly one note, though at least it's a fun note. They're also in the camp of campaign mechanics making the player eat poo poo if you fight them because it's trivially easy to end up with 8-11 turn duration plagues fighting them normally.

I think they'll preserve all the current strengths and flavor but might introduce a little bit of extra power or even a quick unit or two. Chaos Warriors Halberds would be very welcome. I also recall reading the original Nurgle previews and thinking they'd have A LOT more regeneration in their roster than they actually do. It'd take a fine touch to avoid sudden explosive power creep but.. maybe Plaguebearers? It'd give them a bit more punch, especially if they aren't focused down, and it balances nicely in that Plaguebearers absolutely can't flee from a fight to avoid being finished.

But yeah, Nurgle needs adjustments, at least one big one.

I feel like my Khorne roster is tankier than the nurgle roster. Like yeah, a lot of Nurgle units get a lot of health but they don't have magic resist and tons of armor like Khorne does so they take more damage from every source as well

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I'm honestly worried they'll buff Nurgle to the point of it not being a challenge at all. Are you all lining up your armies and charging in? Just sit in woods and get them to come to you. It's literally why Ku'Gath is ranged, it takes heroes to prompt an attack and it takes a sec to get them going where they can. And their healing is based off the Lore of Nurgle. Cast spells and your plaguebearers take hardly any damage. Look at the trees in Nurgle's realm. They are covered in nodules designed to deflect missile fire. Grandfather wants you in there.

Plague wise this is what is happening and I have no idea if it's intended.

Army A has plague A for any turns. Army B has plague B for any turns. If Army A initiates a unit swap or fight with Army B, then Army B receives Army A's plague for 3 turns (or 6 if you've added that bit extra symptom).

Army A has plague A for 3 turns. Army B has plague A for 3 turns as well. If I swap units (or fight) then no plague is spread because the game thinks they are identical plagues.

Now if Army A has plague A for 3 turns and Army B has plague A for 2 turns and I swap units or fight, then suddenly Army A and B have plague A for 5 turns or whatever the total amount is for each plague. They are added together. I bet this isn't intended.

Twigand Berries fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 18, 2022

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

It does seem like Nurgle is going to be really, really hard to balance between campaign and skirmish, since the faction seems designed around campaign-level buffs and debuffs. Unless they, like, let you choose some plagues to inflict on your skirmish opponent or something, I don't see how you can square that circle, they're always going to either underperform in MP or overperform in campaign.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Do they not split the balancing for MP? I don't play MP but it seems dumb if they don't.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Muscle Tracer posted:

It does seem like Nurgle is going to be really, really hard to balance between campaign and skirmish, since the faction seems designed around campaign-level buffs and debuffs. Unless they, like, let you choose some plagues to inflict on your skirmish opponent or something, I don't see how you can square that circle, they're always going to either underperform in MP or overperform in campaign.

Oh yeah, I imagine they are a challenge in MP and I honestly I'd take more love for my favs over MP folks struggling with one of a limited number of rosters at launch.

dogstile posted:

Do they not split the balancing for MP? I don't play MP but it seems dumb if they don't.

They do balance around MP gold costs and things like they are doing with Domination (larger starting army, which could help Nurgle as well as Cathay. Like maybe get 2 immovable bricks out rather than one) but sometimes they do nerf campaign for campaigns sake and who knows what the various small tweaks in stats are focused on (MP vs SP)

Twigand Berries fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 18, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Overperforming in campaign is fine if the design is solid. The AI doesn't complain. Would you call Taurox and Skarbrand bad campaigns? I think Beastmen are overtuned but still fond to play as a blow off steam faction and hopefully the next Khorne LL has a bit more campaign thinking to do, keeping Skarbrand as the maximum fighting, minimum thinking option.

Twigand Berries posted:

Are you all lining up your armies and charging in? Just sit in woods and get them to come to you.

that's not fun for me Oh I know how to force the enemy to come to me especially with any faction that gets a starting artillery option but I'm also experienced at staggered approaches and controlling the enemy even with a faction as ridiculously slow as Nurgle. It's oh so very satisfying to watch the noose tighten on the enemy and then slam into them even through their advantageous ranged fire and my slow approach.

People badmouth Plaguebearers a lot and they are a bit of an odd, slightly undertuned unit but I find a block of 11000 tanking HP to be insanely valuable in my usual approaches. OH NO WE LOST 4K HP.. WHO CARES, FRONTS MET, LOL

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Doomykins posted:

that's not fun for me Oh I know how to force the enemy to come to me especially with any faction that gets a starting artillery option but I'm also experienced at staggered approaches and controlling the enemy even with a faction as ridiculously slow as Nurgle. It's oh so very satisfying to watch the noose tighten on the enemy and then slam into them even through their advantageous ranged fire and my slow approach.

People badmouth Plaguebearers a lot and they are a bit of an odd, slightly undertuned unit but I find a block of 11000 tanking HP to be insanely valuable in my usual approaches. OH NO WE LOST 4K HP.. WHO CARES, FRONTS MET, LOL

I think that's my early game for Nurgle, getting the most out of toads and flies to get the AI to make bad moves and late game I'm just like "wow that was exhausting let's sit in these trees and own the enemy with summons"

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

dogstile posted:

They don't, and it is. I've always felt that the key to balancing both was to adjust the cost of things in MP, so if something is "too good" you just make it cost more. But, well, that would be easy and make sense!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean whatever, I don't think any of the MP unit balancing has ruined them for the campaigns or anything, and of course you're stacking lord buffs and researches on top of them anyways.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Muscle Tracer posted:

They don't, and it is. I've always felt that the key to balancing both was to adjust the cost of things in MP, so if something is "too good" you just make it cost more. But, well, that would be easy and make sense!

They do split the balancing, there are MP specific gold cost and unit limits.

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost

Collapsing Farts posted:

Rifts will continue forever in cycles after you "win" but they wont spit out demons anymore

I'm on like turn 300 here in a gimmick game of mine I keep returning to and there are still rifts everywhere

I just had a blast beating the main campaign as Kislev and want to keep going. Can you still use the rifts to travel or are they just corruption machines here on out?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

jokes posted:

The big reveal is that every faction is Tzeentch magic/disguise, and we’ve been fighting in the realms of chaos since TWWH1

I'm not convinced the Chaos Gods could grab the soul of someone like Repanse.

Mind you, given the realms of the Gods are REALMS, I can imagine entire campaigns/campaign maps dealing with inter-god fights in and between the Realms.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

fishhooked posted:

I just had a blast beating the main campaign as Kislev and want to keep going. Can you still use the rifts to travel or are they just corruption machines here on out?

Yeah you can travel with them :)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

ChickenWing posted:

[citation needed]

Norsca had its own special problems that I would imagine have little to no bearing on the current state of the application

citation is in their post Developer Diary: Patch 1.0.2 & Ongoing Investigations

and their reuse of things like imperium from rome to now
or family trees even if there is no family tree
or corruption being religion from earlier games

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Mordja posted:

I mean whatever, I don't think any of the MP unit balancing has ruined them for the campaigns or anything, and of course you're stacking lord buffs and researches on top of them anyways.

I don't exactly know if it was an "MP change" but them making every summon timed is something I will never forgive them for.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Third World Reagan posted:

citation is in their post Developer Diary: Patch 1.0.2 & Ongoing Investigations

I think people are taking that a bit out of context.
Sure, when you start digging into the game engine's guts you'll undoubtedly find that the Total War games are barely functioning messes that are being held together by duct tape and prayer. But then so are all other video games. And really all software in general.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Raygereio posted:

I think people are taking that a bit out of context.
Sure, when you start digging into the game engine's guts you'll undoubtedly find that the Total War games are barely functioning messes that are being held together by duct tape and prayer. But then so are all other video games. And really all software in general.

so it would be true then

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So CA promising more patches between DLC means that they're actually planning to abandon the game in a matter of weeks, right?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Third World Reagan posted:

so it would be true then
Well yeah.
But my point was more that that doesn't mean CA's codebase is somehow the worst piece of software over written.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

So now that it will be trivial to knock out the competitors in the race maybe a disassociation from the word Souls might be in order.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Raygereio posted:

Well yeah.
But my point was more that that doesn't mean CA's codebase is somehow the worst piece of software over written.

Oh no one said the worst

but it is not good

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
Knocking the souls out of your opponents is cool and feels so intuitive I'm surprised it wasn't in at launch.

Using protection buildings to stop portals spawning is going to be really interesting though, it's going to vastly reduce the amount of portals spawning, to the point that it might incentivize taking out a city that an opponent has and demolishing their protection building to a) get hostile armies to spawn in their territory and b) get closer to the portals yourself after they stop spawning in your territory. It really opens the game up for more aggressive playstyles since protecting yourself from the rifts also means that you're going to need to find someone who hasn't and go push their poo poo in.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
It's extremely fun to have outposts unlock units from other factions. I can't wait till Immortal Empires where you'll get tons of different combinations.

Best of all when they build outposts in your cities you get a few of their units for your garrison!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Any tips for ogre camp placement as Skrag? Do you get enough to happily cover most of the area you're roaming around? Is it worth just setting them up as permanent raiding camps/war zones or is conquering the surroundings a better option? I can't tell how permanent these things are really supposed to be.

E: and you better believe I'm going to leave some rifts open in my territory once I can use protection buildings to control them. The oblasts need protection and the main cities need the building slots more, imo.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Ravenfood posted:

Any tips for ogre camp placement as Skrag? Do you get enough to happily cover most of the area you're roaming around? Is it worth just setting them up as permanent raiding camps/war zones or is conquering the surroundings a better option? I can't tell how permanent these things are really supposed to be.

E: and you better believe I'm going to leave some rifts open in my territory once I can use protection buildings to control them. The oblasts need protection and the main cities need the building slots more, imo.

I typically place my first one someplace it'll be relatively safe but able to assist in my early conquests since that's where the vast majority of my recruitment is going to take place. After that it's a combination of where I think I can protect it while getting the buffs from it for conquests and aiding defense on fronts I don't plan on expanding towards currently but need the extra protection for my settlements.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

All those updates in the notes are welcome. Being able to use the protection buildings to prevent rift spawning is a good solution that allows you to progress normally on the campaign map, so long as it's for the whole province (which it sounds like it is).

Immortal Empires? Probably in the summer, at the latest. It really depends on how quickly they iron out the technical stuff, but summer seems reasonable. Assuming they don't have huge issues, we could see it in the spring, though. Opening up the workshop suggests a degree of confidence on their end. Hopefully they can solve the performance issues and get things working for the players having other issues.

Rejoice, goons, for you shall soon have your kawaii dawi waifus with realistic dick physics! :allears:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Doomykins posted:

They're also utterly one note, though at least it's a fun note.

That note, of course, is the brown note.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIYJpbAK6MY

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

First camp should go down as fast as possible within your home border, ideally at a choke point between your border city and the enemy you're eating. Camps are very permanent unless attacked: they have virtually no upkeep costs and the garrison upkeep is a joke. You can host Gnoblars/Trappers/Scrap Launchers in camps for free after the Gnoblar upkeep tech.

I place them closer to my borders than the enemies but also so the circle allows me to do a lot of early/current aggression under the free meat circle. Don't place them where even weak armies can approach them for free immediately, the AI will not neglect them on meaningful difficulties. It is better to stock up to 200-300 meat then to throw yourself into a big red zone and try to keep a camp down to sustain yourself unless you're willing to camp the camp with your offensive stack to defend it while it gets a real garrison, the camp needs at least 1 turn to build a +recruit slot building to even have 2 recruit slots.. unless it's in your own province, then you can slam an Ogre force up nicely. Camp raiding can be nice but I prefer to let my settlements/camps turtle my land and my LL/offense stacks do the offending.

If you have 2+ armies you can also put a camp down and immediately shove the new garrison into the baby camp. You can also slam a camp down with your solo Skrag stack, encamp and donate meat for 1 turn GR and offload your extra into the camp. Recruit their replacements without booting your lads.

Note that camps have very good defensive stalling maps where you can let the towers carry a lot of weight and create traffic jam lanes where your ranged fire into the enemy BUT you never start an ogre camp defense with supply, even with the +500 supply research. Thus you need some ability to fight back and miracle stall + tower cheese is significantly harder unless you're fighting like Khorne or Nurgle.

Basically 1) play around with them you get many more then you'll need and you can save scum or eat 2k losses if you really gently caress up, you can do a lot of creative and clever things with camps too 2) it is better to have meat on hand then to panic slam a camp down, fight in camp borders if you can get a good high traffic spot and don't neglect the +meat per turn building 3) you need 1 mega camp that never gets moved or in danger of being removed the second you finish research so you can march towards T4/T5 access and 4) camps are very vulnerable until they're not.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I would also add that you generally want to be at or almost at your camp limit at all times, since they are the backbone of the ogre economy. The money making building is very efficient, but more importantly, the main camp building gives extra income to ALL of your normal settlements

babypolis fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 18, 2022

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Any beginner tips? Never played a total war game, but I love the Old World and want to crump some.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Twigand Berries posted:

So now that it will be trivial to knock out the competitors in the race maybe a disassociation from the word Souls might be in order.

Huh? Why?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Does anyone know if allied unit magic works on your dudes? I'm allied with lizards as Miao and just wondering if the reviv bastiladon healing/revive will actually work on my cathay units.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Does anyone know if allied unit magic works on your dudes? I'm allied with lizards as Miao and just wondering if the reviv bastiladon healing/revive will actually work on my cathay units.

Normally it specifies in the ability's tooltip (such as making the distinction between healing living and undead units). Presumably if the reviv crystal's ability doesn't specifically state only healing Lizardmen units, you should be gravy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Any beginner tips? Never played a total war game, but I love the Old World and want to crump some.

The AI is very opportunistic and will pounce on vulnerable settlements. Be careful about leaving one undefended somewhere an enemy army can find it.

Each additional army confers an Upkeep penalty so plan ahead when starting new armies. I usually use my legendary lord+army for offense then as I build new armies use them initially to defend settlements and later to strike out on their own or support your legendary lord stack.

In battles the AI likes to prioritize vulnerable units like using cavalry to attack archers from behind. It will use its archers to go after unshielded units. If it feels weaker than you it will hang back and wait for you to approach. If you have artillery you can usually aggro a reluctant army into approaching.

AI will try to dodge artillery and spells unless it is engaged in melee or shooting.

When in ambush stance you are 'invisible' to enemy armies unless detected. This is useful to bait weak armies into getting close or avoid strong armies. Be careful in force march as you cannot withdraw and your troops will be tired from the start. When in encamp stance you can still move up to 50% of your movement. You can encamp then scoot a bit more so you don't accidentally move too much initially.

Capturing a settlement downgrades it a tier and gives you a public order penalty. Capture+loot will give you a % of the settlements value but takes a bigger hit to public order and breaks buildings. (not worth it in most cases) Sacking gives you more money and is nice if you don't want to control the territory. It also let's you use the rest of your movement so you can scoot away after. Razing turns it into a ruin and gives some money, AI is slow to repopulate ruins.

Populating ruins drains the hp of your army and costs money (the less manpower you have to donate the more it costs). Be careful if enemies are around as you'll be pretty vulnerable for a few turns. Skaven settlements look like ruins until you scout them with a hero or engage them with an army.