Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Electromax posted:

I refuse to believe Captain Falcon was anyone's favorite Nintendo character in 1999.

His enthusiasm was infectious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

This makes little sense when all the characters will be the same based on weight. Why want "important" characters to be de-emphasized? And giving them specific items would make it even less balanced than Mario kart already is.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. It wouldn't make sense to add characters like Olimar, Fox or Samus because there are already characters in the same weight class on the roster?

I also didn't say a single thing about specific items assigned to new characters. You pick Olimar. His stats are similar to Toad's, but not identical. Who cares anyway? You want to race as Olimar. You pick any combination of kart/wheels/glider. Every other character can pick the same thing. You can pick a course inspired by Pikmin now. Olimar has no advantage in this course. If they add an item, everyone has access to it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's inexcusable to port the MK Tour tracks and not have Don-Chan

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
My preference has always been for keeping Mario Kart Mario-themed, mainly because I think it’s really fun seeing all the Mushroom Kingdom themed versions of random stuff like an airport or shopping mall or ski slope or whatever. Once you turn it into Nintendo Kart with only one or two courses per series I think we’d get a lot more courses that are just a blander “it’s [place] from [game]”, like with the crossover courses in 8, or the dozens and dozens of stages in smash that are just random platforms flying in front of places from the game.

Sometimes a little more specificity is fun! Not every day need to be Gamemaster Anthony’s birthday.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

My preference has always been for keeping Mario Kart Mario-themed, mainly because I think it’s really fun seeing all the Mushroom Kingdom themed versions of random stuff like an airport or shopping mall or ski slope or whatever. Once you turn it into Nintendo Kart with only one or two courses per series I think we’d get a lot more courses that are just a blander “it’s [place] from [game]”, like with the crossover courses in 8, or the dozens and dozens of stages in smash that are just random platforms flying in front of places from the game.

Sometimes a little more specificity is fun! Not every day need to be Gamemaster Anthony’s birthday.

I definitely get this, but I'm not advocating for Smash Ultimate levels of representation and bloat. Like, top 5-10 Nintendo IPs max, with a major focus on track design. I think based on how well they create these Mario tracks they could make some really interesting inspired tracks, rather than stuff like "okay you're in Hyrule field... Like from Zelda games..."

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Inzombiac posted:

Oh... I got drunk earlier and ordered Rice and Ruin.

Uh, I hope it's good!

If you like farming sims and action games it can be a fun and chill time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Motto posted:

I also wish the anime swords were removed from smash (by having their devs acquired by a publisher that sucks less)

Is the Fire Emblem series still going for that matter? I fell out of it a long while back

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Larryb posted:

Is the Fire Emblem series still going for that matter? I fell out of it a long while back

The latest game on Switch was really well-received and is even getting it's own Musou spinoff!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
fire emblem is one of nintendo's biggest properties now probably

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Motto posted:

I also wish the anime swords were removed from smash (by having their devs acquired by a publisher that sucks less)

What does this even mean? Intelligent Systems puts out great work.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

fire emblem is one of nintendo's biggest properties now probably

Three Houses sold less than 1 2 Switch and Clubhouse Games so probably not.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Nintendo, please stop trying to make Marth happen.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Palmtree Panic posted:

What does this even mean? Intelligent Systems puts out great work.

IntSys are the devs. I think they were referring to Nintendo.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

LuckyCat posted:

and yet fire emblem heroes utterly eviscerated mario run...

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

LuckyCat posted:

That's not true at least for 1 2 Switch.

1 2 Switch sold 3m copies from March 2017 to Dec 2019, Around 21 months. 3H sold 2.87m copies from July 2019 to March 2020, so 9 months.

Mainly the claim that Fire Emblem isn't one of Nintendo's biggest properties is probably wrong because all of those sales pale in comparison to the literal Billion in revenue they've made off of Fire Emblem Heroes on mobile.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Mario Kart did have items locked to specific characters, in Double Dash. Only the Koopas could get triple shells, only Toad and Toadette could get the golden mushroom, and so on.

Well, except if you picked Petey Piranha and King Boo, who could get everyone's character specific items.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Snake Maze posted:

On the other hand we've had a million bowser's castle or generic volcano themed stages. Imagine a course through Death Mountain, or Brinstar or some poo poo.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Butterfly Valley posted:

On the other hand we've had a million bowser's castle or generic volcano themed stages. Imagine a course through Death Mountain, or Brinstar or some poo poo.

This course, goes inside the Kirby

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

I wanna race around Booster’s Tower as Geno

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
1 2 Switch sold because it was a launch window gimmick not because it has some massive fanbase

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Astro7x posted:

Dragon Ball FighterZ is the worst, because new characters amount to "here is Vegeta, but he's wearing a cool new armor!"

I don''t really understand why we need to have so many Super Saiyan and God/Ultra Instinct characters in these games. The power level of some of these characters is kind of lost on me at this point. Yeah, I guess SSJ God Goku is more powerful than regular Goku, who is stronger than Kid Goku, but why do we need 4 versions of Goku when you have Krilllin and Cell who's power level is more clear. And you have Ape Vegeta and normal Vegeta. Is ape Vegeta the more powerful version, or is he a weaker version since he's just a berzerker?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Every game could stand to have three or more Gokus

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Finished Elden Ring, now I can push that trash aside to clear my schedule for the real GOTY, Kirby and the Forgotten Land.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Araxxor posted:

If you like farming sims and action games it can be a fun and chill time.

That's good but Rune Factory 5 is out soon and I can't have two games like that!!!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so gamestop's offering a pin set with the new kirby game and target's offering the pouch.

think i'm going pin set?

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 18, 2022

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

LuckyCat posted:

Fire Emblem Heroes says hello from atop its Scrooge McDuck money vault. Three Houses has sold over 3 (:v:) million copies which puts it well about Star Fox, Metroid, and a bunch of other not-Mario properties they have. Though Metroid Dread is around 2.75m copies sold so maybe that means we'll get to see a Metroid musou game one day. :v:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Astro7x posted:

The Switch is recharbable, you don't have to buy a new one each time the battery dies.

https://youtu.be/a73N0s0nE5k

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

People tend to mistake "I don't like something" with "nobody likes something"

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

That's good but Rune Factory 5 is out soon and I can't have two games like that!!!

Just grab all the farming games. :v:

I will say it’s different from how Rune Factory does things. There’s only 1 crop you raise, rice, and the raising process is more detailed than how RF handles it, since it has multiple crop types. The rice raising also ties into the action, as the better rice you raise, the better your stats get. The action segments are 2D platformer esque levels, rather than the overhead 3D perspective of Rune Factory.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Evil Fluffy posted:

maybe that means we'll get to see a Metroid musou game one day. :v:

Please, don't get my hopes up for a thing I desperately want that will never happen.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i like everything nintendo has ever done

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
New Mario Kart tracks own but I wish there were some more battle tracks :(

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Astro7x posted:

103M switches sold and only 43M copies of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as the top selling Switch game.

How the hell do you own a Nintendo Switch and not Mario Kart at this point?
I don't like Mario Kart OP

Inzombiac posted:

What I've seen of Sakuna's gameplay is significantly different from Rune Factory as I know it. Like, if you reduce it down to "both are farming sims with action-RPG gameplay" then yeah I guess they sound the same, but in practice Sakuna reminds me more of Muramasa in the combat stages.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I just bought MK8 for $40 because gently caress if first party games ever go under that regardless of age.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
That's a great deal.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Please, don't get my hopes up for a thing I desperately want that will never happen.

Personally I want a Kirby musou. The modern Kirby games are already half beat-'em-ups where you get a giant fighting game moveset and your opponents get to aimlessly waddle in response, so all a musou needs to do is cut out the platforming middleman and triple down on the spectacle.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I preordered the MK8 season pass so how do I play the new courses? I try to select then in my in game but it says I need to either buy the pass or have the Switch Online Expansion Pack, and if I go to the eShop it says I’ve already purchased it? :confused:

Edit— nevermind, I had to go into the pass on the eShop and select wave 1 specifically and “redownload” it. What an rear end-backwards way to set it up.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 19, 2022

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

What? I just downloaded the pass and then it was in the game.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Takoluka posted:

What? I just downloaded the pass and then it was in the game.

I could see the courses in-game but if I tried to play them it told me to go buy the pass or subscribe to the expansion pack. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

I preordered the MK8 season pass so how do I play the new courses? I try to select then in my in game but it says I need to either buy the pass or have the Switch Online Expansion Pack, and if I go to the eShop it says I’ve already purchased it? :confused:

Edit— nevermind, I had to go into the pass on the eShop and select wave 1 specifically and “redownload” it. What an rear end-backwards way to set it up.

nintendo