Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Quill posted:

Many of those store items come in little boxes, so check your bags. Also, if you made the purchase on a novice character, then you need to complete the starter area and move on before the trait shows up on the passive skills panel.

Sorry, what I meant was that I don't even see the items in the store to buy- the store is messed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
New Producer's Letter and some Good News.

https://www.lotro.com/news/lotro-producer-letter-march-2022-en

quote:

Starting with Update 33, we’re making the High Elf race free for all players.

quote:

Rune-keepers, Wardens, and Beornings will now be available for all players to play!

quote:

VIP will now include the standard versions of the Mordor, Minas Morgul, and War of Three Peaks expansions

quote:

With this update, all quests, areas, instances, and expansions released between the original launch of LOTRO back in 2007 and up to – and including! - the release of Helm’s Deep will be available for free to everyone.

New Hobbit zone

quote:

We’re adding a new area: the northern region known as the Yondershire, a sparsely populated region of moor, thicket, and fen that has long been home to Hobbit recluses and troublemakers.

Since the time of Bullroarer Took, the Yondershire has squabbled with the more comfortable parts of the Shire. The upstart Lotho Sackville-Baggins aims to bully the local Hobbits, but they’re none too keen on his designs. Explore the Yondershire, and experience some more delightful Hobbit adventures, our first expansion of the Shire in years!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Oh that is some good news!

I'll have find something else to buy with all these points I was saving up for a High Elf Rune-Keeper.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Great changes. LOTRO's F2P model has been sorely outdated, and this and the previous batch of stuff really helps modernize it a lot.

There's still a lot of issues, sure, but these things makes it a lot simpler to tell a friend about the game. Instead of "well go VIP for a month, then do these things, create these characters 'just in case', then if you want content here's an overcomplicated list of ways to get it".

Now it's just, play what you want until 95. Then go VIP and run around everywhere, until you get to the latest expac, or just use saved up LOTRO points for whatever zone you're hitting up next. VIP getting everything but the latest expac is pretty standard I think - ESO being the big one that comes to mind that follows that.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I tried *twice* to get into this game and I bounced off because I just had no idea what I needed to buy.

So it sounds like if you have a sub you have everything up to the current expansion or something right?

The only other reason I bounced off was I wanted to do dungeons and couldn't really find anyone to help me even if I did LFF in chat.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

eonwe posted:

I tried *twice* to get into this game and I bounced off because I just had no idea what I needed to buy.

So it sounds like if you have a sub you have everything up to the current expansion or something right?

The only other reason I bounced off was I wanted to do dungeons and couldn't really find anyone to help me even if I did LFF in chat.

Just dive in and don't buy poo poo until you notice you're in an area without quests. Maybe, maybe get a month sub up front to get a mount but honestly you'll get enough funbux to buy that in the store pretty quickly too.

As for the dungeons, most of them aren't plot important and the ones that are are usually doable solo once you outlevel them by a ton.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Sounds good! thank you

Gonna play a Beorning

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
ESO's sub fee has the powerful hook of giving you an infinite bag for all your crafting stuff. LOTRO should steal that outright for its VIPs.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

eonwe posted:

Here's my guide on what to buy, which just got a LOT smaller!

LUM_'S :effort: POST ON HOW TO PLAY LOTRO FOR FREE AFTER SPENDING A BIT OF $$$

Wait until Update 33 (April) before buying *anything*!

(Note: Lotro Points are normally anywhere from 75/$1 to 115/$1 depending on how many you buy at once. If there's a point bonus sale on it goes from 87.6/$1 to 167.5/$1. You can also earn them in game very slowly but unless you value your time as less than sub-minimum wage buying them is easier.)
(Note: Most of this list goes on sale at some point. These are non-sale prices.)

TL;DR: Don't buy ANYTHING until level 95. This is 6 months to a year of gameplay. By then you should be well aware if you want to sink any more money or not.

THINGS TO BUY FIRST THAT ARE PROBABLY NECESSARY:

Nothing! Go nuts! Everything's free now that you could want! Except literally ONE thing - instant travel from stables. If this bothers you, buying VIP for a month will fix it. There isn't any other way to buy permanent swift travel access.

THINGS TO BUY LATER THAT ARE PROBABLY NECESSARY EVENTUALLY

Quest Zones, and that's it! And they are almost ALL FREE until level 95 now. Go nuts.

The ideal min-max path for levelling will require the following to get to max level:

The Shire/Ered Luin/Combe and Staddle: 1-15
Bree-Lands: 15-25 (Yondershire may replace this, new zone coming out meant to follow up on Shire)
Lone Lands: 20-30
Evendim: 30-40
Misty Mountains: 40-45
OR
North Downs: 25-35
Trollshaws: 35-45 (The Angle of Mitheithel, the 40-45 area, costs 725LP or VIP since it's new)

Wildwood: 45-50 (costs 1195LP or VIP since it's new, I recommend it for this level range)
OR
Forochel: 44-48
Eregion: 48-53
(whatever you do, don't go to Angmar, it's the worst zone in the game)

Moria: 50-60
Mirkwood: 60-65
Dunland: 65-75
I Hate Rohan Part One (aka "Riders of Rohan"): 75-85
I Hate Rohan Part Two (aka "Helms Deep"): 85-95

-- At this point you will have to start paying for zones. As you can see there's a LOT to go through before that point. And there's a lot of zones available I didn't list, if for some reason you want to go off the beaten path.--

Western Gondor: 95-100 (costs 795LP or VIP)

At this point for about a year? 2? SSG just said "screw you, no more level cap increases" and everything stayed at level 100 for a very long time, which makes levelling through Gondor awkward. You'll hit level 100 easily in Western Gondor, so just do the epic quest (which is free) and nothing else once you finish Western Gondor until you get to Far Anorien (the Minas Tirith area - after you escape Osgiliath) at which point SSG said "ok, we'll give you level bumps again" and progression continues.

Far Anorien: 100-105 (costs 1995LP or VIP)

If you get to 106 or better in Far Anorien, don't bother buying any other quest content and just do the epic quest until Mordor opens up (again, epic quest is free and you get to fight alongside Aragorn - spoiler, he lives, the ring doesn't, Frodo's saved. Note: being overlevelled well past 105 once you hit Mordor is helpful, as everything in Mordor hits level-appropriate players like a truck.

Mordor: 105-115 (costs 2495LP or VIP)
I Hate Dwarves Part One (aka "Where Dragons Dwell"): 115-120 (costs 1995LP or VIP)
Minas Morgul: 120-130 (costs 2495 LP or VIP)
I Hate Dwarves Part Two (aka "War of Three Peaks", entirely optional) 130 (costs 1495LP or VIP)
I Hate Dwarves Part Three (aka "Gundabad", the latest expansion, NOT included with VIP, costs $40)

You're done! Time to join endless parties where internet nerds yell at you because your legendary beatstick isn't properly min-maxed.

THINGS TO BUY IN ROUGH ORDER TO MAKE YOUR LIFE EASIER

Account-wide fast horse unlock: 2995 LP
Gotta go fast! Every character you make, for the rest of your life, can have the fastest horse in the game at level 5. Buy this if you value your time at all.

Milestone time-reduction:
- Expedient Traveller: 495 LP Milestone cooldown now 35m instead of 60m
- Hurried Traveller: 495 LP Milestone cooldown now 5m instead of 35m
Having a milestone skill available every 5 minutes will save hours and hours of your life.

(IF YOU'RE NOT A HUNTER/WARDEN - IF YOU ARE YOU GET BETTER FOR FREE AS CLASS SKILLS)
Extra milestone bind points (495 LP each)
Buy a few of these. Set one in Bree, have a couple spread out among multiple quest hubs. For the love of god, if you're doing the epic quest book 1 (the first one) put one in Rivendell. The game LOVES to send you back to talk to your buddy Elrond every five minutes for a very long stretch.

And that's it, really. (There used to be a whole list of races and classes you could buy here but hey! They're free now.) You COULD blow more points on mithril coins (zap yourself to quest destinations) or housing or whatever. But at this point you've bought the game and can now play for free. Until the next expansion, anyway.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Making everything up to 95 free is awesome. I don’t know if they’ve changed fast travel beyond the starting zones requiring a sub to unlock, but they really need to if they haven’t because that still essentially requires new players to buy a sub for at least a month. It was still the case the last time I made a new character a couple years ago, which was extremely frustrating because I’d forgotten all about it.

I guess you don’t technically need it, but it is such a huge QOL improvement I can’t imagine regularly playing the game without it. I tried to do it for a bit because I didn’t want to pay $15 just for that and it was just super boring and annoying to have to constantly stop playing for several minutes at a time if I wanted to go anywhere. I guess they still gotta have some incentives to give them money though.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 19, 2022

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Lum_ posted:

Forochel: 44-48
Eregion: 48-53
(whatever you do, don't go to Angmar, it's the worst zone in the game)

Moria: 50-60
Mirkwood: 60-65

It's been awhile since I leveled a character but IIRC, Eregion mobs turn orange at 43 or 44 and even with that gap it was significantly faster than other options (Forochel opened up at 41-42 and was better than Trollshaws or MM but I'm hoping that changed since it was always a rough spot).

Going to Eregion at 45 should be treated as mandatory because you can do the Moria intro at that point and the LIs from the intro are reason enough to do that immediately upon hitting 45. Yes the mobs are red, no it won't matter unless you're using extremely weak and outdated gear somehow. They'll just take a little longer to kill.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Feel free to go to Angmar, it's extremely atmospheric and wraps up a lot of plot threads. Honestly of the 45-50 zones Forochel is the only one I wouldn't do on an alt--it's really unique, and pretty, but everything is just so incredibly far apart it's a huge drag to actually quest in.

Definitely go do the Moria intro at 45, but I would maybe hesitate to do Eregion itself at that point. If you do, you'll roll into Moria itself underleveled, and there are a bunch of deeds that don't actually unlock until you hit 50, as I found out to my chagrin when I took a Captain there at 46 a while back.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Angmar is absolutely worth doing at least once, and you’ll be spending time there as part of the epic quest line anyway.

All the group content in the zonen can be challenging if you’re underleveled, but solo-friendly classes should be able to handle it without much effort.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Does angmar still have the insta kill thing?

I was there a couple of months ago doing deeds and it was gone, but I also did all the quests years back, and I can't remember if it goes away once you've done quests, or if they removed it.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

xZAOx posted:

Does angmar still have the insta kill thing?

I was there a couple of months ago doing deeds and it was gone, but I also did all the quests years back, and I can't remember if it goes away once you've done quests, or if they removed it.

The epic questline involves disabling it.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
You guys are nuts. Angmar is awful. Yes, the insta-kill barrier is still there (you get immune to it as part of the epic quest). Quests are sparse and the landscape mobs can be brutal for on-level players. Plus there's an awful drone at all times and the place just looks like crap. It's supposed to, but given all the other choices in the game there's no need to adventure in Angsty Edgelord Vista.

Also I think jumping into Moria's intro at 45 is optional at best. You don't NEED a legendary weapon at that point, things die fine with whatever random quest drop you're using. 47-48 is a bit more realistic and you don't have to wade through red mobs to do it then; you can then pick up a few levels in Eregion before diving into Moria proper at 50.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Really cool to see them finally modernise their F2P scheme a bit. I might come back and play around a bit once it’s changed just to see some of my favourite areas and sights again.

I really, really like Evendim even with the occasional annoyance of getting around the lake.

And I’m definitely up for at least one more trip through Moria. Such an amazing set of zones.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
I think I left my Beorning at the start of Moria or a couple levels short. Keep me posted if anyone is approaching that content - the main reason I stopped was because I didn't want to solo it on my first playthrough.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Any news about the graphics and interface update? The game is still unplayable at modern resolutions.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hey have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMO Lord of the Rings Online where you can play through an expanded free to play experience including the entirety of Shadows of Angmar and up to the award winning Helm's Deep expansion up to level 95 with no restrictions on play time?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ibblebibble posted:

Hey have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMO Lord of the Rings Online where you can play through an expanded free to play experience including the entirety of Shadows of Angmar and up to the award winning Helm's Deep expansion up to level 95 with no restrictions on play time?

Wow, that sounds great to me, a fan of the famous The Lord of the Rings books trilogy series!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

Wow, that sounds great to me, a fan of the famous The Lord of the Rings books trilogy series!

Agreed, the novelizations of the movie trilogy are great! It’s cool that they even included some of the MMO-only content like the Old Forest and Barrow Downs quest zones in them.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
Wow. I just read through them and they even added in Tom Bombadil from the game. Amazing attention to detail by whoever they got to write it!!!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thanks for the guide!

hit lvl 21 and almost to lone lands

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Also, how far in can I make it without worrying about optimizing my gear? I know there is some legendary weapon thing at some point

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

jalapeno_dude posted:

Feel free to go to Angmar, it's extremely atmospheric and wraps up a lot of plot threads. Honestly of the 45-50 zones Forochel is the only one I wouldn't do on an alt--it's really unique, and pretty, but everything is just so incredibly far apart it's a huge drag to actually quest in.

Definitely go do the Moria intro at 45, but I would maybe hesitate to do Eregion itself at that point. If you do, you'll roll into Moria itself underleveled, and there are a bunch of deeds that don't actually unlock until you hit 50, as I found out to my chagrin when I took a Captain there at 46 a while back.

The epic opens in Moria starting at level 48, iirc, but you can do the intro at 45, then go xp in Eregion or whatever until 48+. I forget what deeds you're referring to but level-wise my champion went in at 48, left at 61-62, and still had plenty they could've done inside. Moria was LotRO at its best, really.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I really should play this game again at some point. I haven't played in uhh...4 years now? Maybe more?

I remember that I loved my Warden though.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

eonwe posted:

Also, how far in can I make it without worrying about optimizing my gear? I know there is some legendary weapon thing at some point

Doing landscape stuff? Forever. Game isn't hard.

Also, no idea how it is now, but when I played at The Hobbit release and everyone said to jump to moria at 45 to get my leggo, it was tough and annoying. Game has changed a lot since then.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The only time I had gear issues was rolling into Mordor. Ava I guess if you want to play endgame then you need to think about it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
That's some great news, but are closed server transfers still disabled? I've got at least one 50 on silverlode with a bunch of virtues and crafting I don't wanna farm for again.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

So theoretically if I were to play and sub, the only thing I'd need to get is Gundabad when I get to that point?

Finally. I really like this game but every time I looked at getting back into it it felt like a daunting prospect because of how expansions were priced.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Sankis posted:

So theoretically if I were to play and sub, the only thing I'd need to get is Gundabad when I get to that point?

Finally. I really like this game but every time I looked at getting back into it it felt like a daunting prospect because of how expansions were priced.

If you subscribed, yes, everything but Gundabad is included. There's also no real reason to subscribe until you get to level 95 (which will take quite a while).

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Is “slowtro” still a thing? Last time I played there were kins dedicated to level locking at certain points and doing deep dives into all the old content. Not my cup of tea but I get the appeal.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Kaysette posted:

Is “slowtro” still a thing? Last time I played there were kins dedicated to level locking at certain points and doing deep dives into all the old content. Not my cup of tea but I get the appeal.

I have a founder lifetime subscription (if they even still honor that), bought it the day of release. Played for a while, got bored, left the gme and came back when Moria was released.

All the stuff that was original end game content was not done by me until I got bored one day wandering around Rohan and decided to wander up there.

Holy poo poo is there a _lot_ of stuff that was level 55. Stories about the witchking that were amazing that I never saw. Whole regions were just empty. I soloed a bunch of that stuff for a long time just to read the story, and it was amazing.

Not once did I ever see another player in the far north.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Cimber posted:

Holy poo poo is there a _lot_ of stuff that was level 55. Stories about the witchking that were amazing that I never saw. Whole regions were just empty. I soloed a bunch of that stuff for a long time just to read the story, and it was amazing.
The lore is great. I just found out last week that Arador's End in the PvMP zone is named after Aragorn's grandfather. :O

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010

Kaysette posted:

Yeah, my old (now defunct) kin on Gladden used to do that every summer to run the old instances again. It was something to do between expansion releases.

One of the new legendary servers, Treebeard, gets updated a slower pace than the others, with a new expansion about every 6 months. Also you get a -60% XP debuff, so you level slower. It's kind of the same idea without having to use the Tortoise Stone from the store to stop your XP. That server just got the Moria expansion (level 60 cap) in January.

(The opposite is the Shadowfax server, which updates every 2 months and gives you +50% xp.)

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010

Cimber posted:

I have a founder lifetime subscription (if they even still honor that), bought it the day of release. Played for a while, got bored, left the gme and came back when Moria was released.

All the stuff that was original end game content was not done by me until I got bored one day wandering around Rohan and decided to wander up there.

Not once did I ever see another player in the far north.

Founders and lifetime accounts are still valid.

Level 50 was the original level cap until Mines of Moria came out a year and a half later. So half of Volume I of the Epic quest line (Books VIII–XV) is at that level. It's some really good story that most new players skip because they outlevel it and move on to Moria. It's worth running through at least once.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

With the upcoming changes I decided to look at the various expansions and noticed this.

quote:

Mordor™ Expansion:
300+ Quests for levels 105-115

Helm’s Deep Expansion:
400+ quests, deeds, and more for levels 85 - 95.

What's the 95-105 stuff like? I assume there's a quest pack or something that addresses those levels? I didn't see any expansion that seemed to cover that range.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Sankis posted:

With the upcoming changes I decided to look at the various expansions and noticed this.

What's the 95-105 stuff like? I assume there's a quest pack or something that addresses those levels? I didn't see any expansion that seemed to cover that range.

95-105 is Gondor, which didn’t get a formal expansion of its own. AFAIK it was all released as a series of quest packs available from the LotRO store.

The Gondor content in general is supposedly way better than the Rohan stuff, but someone else will have to confirm that as I literally got started on it only yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
It's been a while since I've done Rohan, but the main issues I remember about it were:

- It's all about mounted combat (which is now abandoned), and especially early on, that really translates into ice skating laggy horses for most of the time.
- The final questline concludes after you finish this huge grind to rebuild a town (I think it's a minimum of like a month?).

So, I doubt any of that has changed. But maybe there were other reasons people disliked it. You still get enemies in future side content for a while that are designed around mounted combat (mainly like achievement related warbands roaming the countryside), but I don't think anything besides Rohan goes full ham on it. And I don't think they've even done warbands post-Gondor?