Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That is interesting, actually.

Although Knights in FFT use Knight Swords and don’t have any magic at all, maybe they’re drawing from that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

jokes posted:

Wait so Affinity is just exp gain? I thought it made me more powerful

gently caress!

When you cross affinity thresholds you unlock perks, so if you have gear with a specific job affinity you'll get those perks even if you don't have the job in your loadout.

I haven't been able to build enough affinity to get beyond the first couple of breakpoints which are just stat boosts but the 400% affinity perks for all the jobs seem suitably busted

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Funny enough, the only instances of Paladins in the main series outside the MMOs are Cecil and Beatrix, and the latter is more implied. It only shows up as an actual job in the MMOs and the FFTA games.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Paladins are kind of just knights but also not really. iirc there's an inconsistent translation. Here's 40 minutes about it:

https://youtu.be/ZIGvxYjBUN8

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

easy and straightforward plat

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

Lotus Aura posted:

Speaking of, how are people able to get jobs to level 99 so dang fast? There's gotta be some trick to it, like do you get more EXP at higher Affinity and even more for if both slots are the same job or something? Feels like it's slowed to a crawl for me already and I don't even have anything to 35 yet.

they only go up to 30, which makes it easier

Mega64 posted:

Boss fights are pretty drat tough on Hard it turns out! Elemental ball kept wrecking my poo poo. Eventually I won by being conservative with a Tyrant/White Mage set and spamming Regenga while continuously dodging attacks with the occasional instant ability when I was in range, and of course much fortuitious fisting with my bros.

Weirdly I didn't even need to reset in the second half of the fight, mostly because I sat back and let my bros do most of the work while Jack occasionally got in to fist a blob. Brutal fight but loving sweet to win it.

I've been playing on hard and so far Elemental ball was the hardest, though I'm up to Cray Claw now and he might be a contender. And yeah, bro management is definitely vital.

PirateZim fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 18, 2022

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Gyoru posted:

easy and straightforward plat

Didn't the game just come out today? :psyduck:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Zil posted:

Didn't the game just come out today? :psyduck:

Preorders could play early, a few days early for PS players and one day only for PC.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mega64 posted:

Preorders could play early, a few days early for PS players and one day only for PC.

Oh okay, that makes me feel better. Was thinking it was just a really really short game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have clocked 25 hours and am just about to do the fourth elemental shrine (well the mission before it i guess since they have all been 2-parters)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The chat between Neon and Sophia in Wicked Arbor about how hosed up it is to offer up a princess's hand in marriage for a quest reward is and the guys agreeing shows that while this bunch are chaos killers they're not toxic and are for the reformation of society for the better.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

PirateZim posted:

Nah, in the postgame you get items that raise it to 55, 80 and then 99. To get the plat, you need to get at least one job to 99

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

The chat between Neon and Sophia in Wicked Arbor about how hosed up it is to offer up a princess's hand in marriage for a quest reward is and the guys agreeing shows that while this bunch are chaos killers they're not toxic and are for the reformation of society for the better.

"Heavy is the head that wears the crown" -- Ash

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ibblebibble posted:

To kill Chaos is pro-masculinity but anti-patriarchy

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Heath posted:

My thesis statement is that actually Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origins is the most feminist game of 2022.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 18, 2022

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Heath posted:

Anti-Chaos

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I hear the PC port of SoP is cheeks. Anyone have experience with it?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

fadam posted:

Yes, at first I tried playing it on a 1660 Super with 16 gigs of RAM (the literal recommended specs) and it ran all hosed up with big slowdown and really muddy graphics no matter what resolution I ran it at. I reinstalled the game and updated my drivers and everything and as long as I run it at 1080 and 60 FPS it is playable but still kinda more blurry than I would like.

Team Ninja is pretty good at QoL updates and fixing performance issues, in my experience, but we're also dealing with a Square PC port so who the gently caress knows really

Edit: also, the initial boot-up takes several minutes and gives no indication that it isn't simply crashing. I tried to force quit the first time and I wonder if that didn't muck it up somehow. Just start the game and go make some coffee or something.

Heath fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 18, 2022

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The game looks muddy as hell even on console so I think that's just...Like, what the game looks like. The rest of the stuff is real annoying though, the cutscene slow downs really get to me.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

fadam posted:

I have a 3060Ti, 32gigs of RAM, and an i5 10k processor for reference. Game seems to run ok; the framerate is inconsistent but not notably stuttery (to me) and I haven't experienced any slowdowns. The game just *looks bad* though. Muddy and jaggy for reasons I just can't describe. It's not god awful but man I can't help but notice it.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

PirateZim posted:

so far Elemental ball was the hardest, though I'm up to Cray Claw now and he might be a contender.

wait hold the gently caress up, they made CRAY CLAW difficult? of all the bosses

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

Shabadu posted:

wait hold the gently caress up, they made CRAY CLAW difficult? of all the bosses

they gave him a gun

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Shabadu posted:

Nah, not really. He has a good dozen weak points that you can actually target (unlike some other bosses with breakable weak spots where you just have to vaguely position and pray), is still weak to lightning and I'm pretty sure none of his attacks are unblockable too.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

Paladins are kind of just knights but also not really. iirc there's an inconsistent translation. Here's 40 minutes about it:

https://youtu.be/ZIGvxYjBUN8

The thing with the translation is that it's very consistent--just consistently "America doesn't really care about 3 or 5, but they loooooove 4, so use the name from that one" :v:

Given that TA like 4 had Paladin but not Knight, 9's the closest to have an actual split with Beatrix, though she's stretching the definition of both "PC" given her playtime and "separate" given that she's just two PC's commands for a solo sequence.

However, there is a prototype FF3 sprite sheet:

This has a few interesting details:
* Warrior, Knight, and Paladin (translated into Japanese as lit. "Holy Mounted Trained-Man") all as separate classes in both sketch and pixel--while in the final game, Knight got assigned the Paladin sprite (that was later colorswapped for Paladin Cecil,) and future "Paladins" properly in Japanese other than Beatrix use Paladin as an English word presented phonetically.
* Third tier of Monk in both sketch and pixel. In JP, FF1 Monk went Monk->Super Monk while FF3 Monk went Monk -> Karateka; at one point 3 was planned to go Monk->Super Monk->Hyper Monk.
* Three tiers of both WHM and BLM on the sketch sheet. On the sprite sheet, the third tier of WHM is marked as completed but scrapped, like the sprite version of the sketched Knight, while the second tier of BLM has already given a name like the final "Feng Shui Trained-Man" that gets translated as Geomancer, but instead "Feng San Shui Trained-Man", a slight variant has more landscape art connotations.
* The sketches and sprite sheet both have two tiers of RDM: a scrapped (on the sprite sheet) version very close to FF1 RDM, with its name, positioned next to WAR/WHM/BLM/Onion Knights, and the used version, more detailed and imposing like the FF1 Red Wizard and sharing its name, in line with Devout and Geomancer.
* Relatedly, the sketch sheet keeps FF1 terminology for Mage/Wizard, "(color) Magic Arts Trained-Man" for the first and "(color) Magic Path Trained-Man" for the second, while the sprite sheet matches release, using the second-tier name for the base tier (like later FF games also do) and bespoke names for the second tier which haven't really reappeared.
* The third tier mages on the sketch sheet were, roughly, "White Demon God" and "Black Demon God", subject to all the ink that's been poured in all the contexts where it's appeared about that combo not precisely being "Demon" or "God"--tl;dr it's more like a supernaturally-powered superhuman, neutral in ways that are potentially unfortunate for humans rather than Manichean.
* The proposed T2 WHM stayed the T2 WHM, and was named a homophone of the last two characters of its name: "White Magic Path Trained-Man" = Shiromadōshi→Dōshi = "Leader Teacher", the categorical noun for Buddhist priests officating at the equivalent of Mass or at funerals.
* The proposed T3 BLM became the T2 BLM, and was also named a homophone of the last two characters of its name, "Black Demon God" = Kuromajin→Majin = "Demon/Magic Person", a term for magically-tinged humanoids ranging from djinni to Dracula.
* SCH originally as "Noble". Which was apparently a concept they bounced around repeatedly; FF4 Edward is officially a "Royal" rather than a Bard.
* The sketch sheet has two tiers of what we now know as Dark Knight, both with a very clear resemblance to the future Blue Mage design. The lower tier has the name ("Demon/Magic Sword Trained-Man") used for Dark Knight in FF3, while the second has a name very close ("Dark Blackness Sword Trained-Man" rather than "Dark Blackness Mounted Trained-Man") to its future appearances. The first tier survived to the sprite sheet mostly unchanged before being scrapped, but had its palette changed from B to C; later BLU used this but with palette B. The second, used in release, tier was redrawn completely to look like the DRK that was standard later.

I wonder if the World of Darkness was originally planned to be an actual world on some level, and they just ran out of time/ROM space, with the crystals giving PLD/(proper) DRK/T3 MNK/T3 WHM/T3 BLM. Would explain why the endgame gear is so heavy in knight swords even though they don't thematically fit Ninja, the only relevant endgame weapons job; with all of this in and Eureka not existing as a piñata for all the implemented poo poo that hadn't found a home, you could have had an interesting "back to the basics" setup where WoD jobs were Paladin as tank T3 WAR, DRK as DPS T3 WAR, T3 Monk, NIN as T3 THF, T3 WHM, T3 BLM, and Sage as T3 RDM.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 18, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

fadam posted:

Yeah I have a 1080 in an eGPU with my Surface Pro 8 i7.

I average 80 FPS on high settings (ambient occlusion off and shadows low) at 1440p in Sastasha, and like 50 or so in the first dungeon. Sometimes I get slow motion for a bit when I do a crystal wrestling move, especially in the chaos shrine (first dungeon), and also sometimes when the king and the dude with the fur (the fur) talks in Cornelia.

Overall I’d say I guess my almost 6 year old GTX 1080 needs to be replaced I guess, but at 1080p@60FPS it should be good to go no doubt no doubt.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Do you know anything about the scrapped FF4 that was meant for the famicom?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Do you know anything about the scrapped FF4 that was meant for the famicom?

Sadly, no. I'd hoped the big Nintendo leak of... Whenever it was given that today still feels like March 749th, 2020 would have had a proto, but it seems to be completely lost to the ages other than the one screenshot.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s funny because I’ve heard conflicting stories that that screenshot was just a mock-up and there was no real game to show, and that there was an almost complete build of an NES FF4.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I'd lean toward relatively asset-complete, with an outline plot on paper somewhere, and very bare of implemented content or balance. FF3 released on '90/4/27, Square claimed in that era to give teams around a month vacation after launch to decompress a little and then hit the gaming table/fantasy novels/travel/etc for inspiration (and at the time, there wasn't so much "an FF team" as "a core FF team who inserted with a larger dev team that had the winning proposal for full-scale dev"; see how an alternate FF4 proposal sloughed off to become SD2, but then sloughed off SD2 having absorbed some of its character designs to become Chrono Trigger with its own staffing shuffles while the SD2 project was finished by SD1 people in the SD1 style.)
FF4 FC and FF5 SFC were both announced on '90/11/16. On '91/2/8, it was announced that FF4 FC was canned and all staff were moved over to FF5 SFC, which would be released as FF4. So since the decisions were obviously made before being announced; the workflow is going to be outline (FF leads) -> assets and design matching the outline (any dev team in conjunction with FF leads, but assets are reusable in other games) -> piecing it all together into a coherent plot and working maps that Were Recognizably FF (FF leads) -> balancing (any team in conjunction with FF leads); and the staff squeeze that made them decide to cancel hit shortly after both were officially announced, I'd say that the decision to cut was early in that third phase. The game itself would never have been announced if there were no outline to work from, work on assets and game design could proceed without an explicit assignment to a title, and conversely it would have released if all that was left to do was polish the feel, but you can't really replace that third step.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 18, 2022

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I have killed Chaos

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

thetoughestbean posted:

I have killed Chaos

you cant kill chaos

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I just dropped SoP down to 1080 from 1440 to see how it ran differently, tried out hard mode on a previous level to test out the difficulty and loot drops, and then I had my first crash to desktop on completing the level lol

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

jokes posted:

That is interesting, actually.

Although Knights in FFT use Knight Swords and don’t have any magic at all, maybe they’re drawing from that

The leader of the paladins was named Orlando (or Roland).

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mandoric posted:

I'd lean toward relatively asset-complete, with an outline plot on paper somewhere, and very bare of implemented content or balance. FF3 released on '90/4/27, Square claimed in that era to give teams around a month vacation after launch to decompress a little and then hit the gaming table/fantasy novels/travel/etc for inspiration (and at the time, there wasn't so much "an FF team" as "a core FF team who inserted with a larger dev team that had the winning proposal for full-scale dev"; see how an alternate FF4 proposal sloughed off to become SD2, but then sloughed off SD2 having absorbed some of its character designs to become Chrono Trigger with its own staffing shuffles while the SD2 project was finished by SD1 people in the SD1 style.)
FF4 FC and FF5 SFC were both announced on '90/11/16. On '91/2/8, it was announced that FF4 FC was canned and all staff were moved over to FF5 SFC, which would be released as FF4. So since the decisions were obviously made before being announced; the workflow is going to be outline (FF leads) -> assets and design matching the outline (any dev team in conjunction with FF leads, but assets are reusable in other games) -> piecing it all together into a coherent plot and working maps that Were Recognizably FF (FF leads) -> balancing (any team in conjunction with FF leads); and the staff squeeze that made them decide to cancel hit shortly after both were officially announced, I'd say that the decision to cut was early in that third phase. The game itself would never have been announced if there were no outline to work from, work on assets and game design could proceed without an explicit assignment to a title, and conversely it would have released if all that was left to do was polish the feel, but you can't really replace that third step.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who nerds out over production minutiae. This is fascinating, thank you!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

Minor detail in Stranger of Paradise: great spinning in-place.

In Playstation 2-era games, the direction your character faces is generally a vector based on which way you press the stick + camera angle + character position. If you spin the stick around in circles quickly, the character spins really quickly in-place with the running animation. It looks silly.

In the PS3-era, and with some early outliers like Wind Waker, they introduced kinematic movement and animation. When Toon Link stands on the stairs perpendicular to them, the game engine does math so his feet actually land on seperate steps where his contemporaries would have one foot floating in the air and the other clipping through the stairs. Since then bones and kinematic animations have become standard. A weird result is that when you spin the stick as fast as possible in modern games, you don't spin anymore. The game wants to do math and make the character's animations smooth.

Nowadays I get weirded out by the way my dude turns a corner early in the game and end up spending a few minutes finding the sweet spot for being able to turn in-place as quickly as possible. Sometimes it's very different between clockwise and counter-clockwise spins. Sometimes it looks super goofy with the kinematics, but it's never as neat as in the DVD days. I remember being pretty happy with Breath Of the Wild's in-place spin after finding a good speed.

Jack's clockwise in-place spin is one of the best and quickest this generation. He goes absolutely nuts ducking his head in a circle. Counter-clockwise is nothing interesting.

I like this post and I'm happy for you

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's been a funny evolution of movement because it often feels better in older 3D games where the PC was usually just an avatar of the control stick whereas alot of modern very high tech games put such lavish effort into realistic walk animations it can actually impede the player's control of the character, like the pre-patched movement of The Witcher 3 where Geralt basically controlled like a ship and just walking through doorways without overshooting your target could be a chore

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Help. Yeah it kind of feels like you're riding or steering characters when it isn't snappy enough.

Also forgot to mention the standout example FFVIII. You get a stack of three! I described it in excruciating detail but you might have done it once for a giggle.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Also, from the angle of gameplay ideas and assets, especially generalized assets, being things that aren't really tied to a game even as they're the parts of proto-4 that could probably churn even while the senior staff was realizing they didn't have enough bandwidth for it: there's no guarantee proto-4 turning up out of Sakaguchi's basement someday wouldn't be a complete snooze, with most of what was possibly implemented being commands that that showed up in 4-6, placeholder theme maps with tilesets that were later given the 256-color treatment and turned into full areas there, etc.

Though now, thinking of the very obvious crosspollenation, I'm extremely curious how in FF5 Siren, and only Siren, got a tall map sprite very much in the style of SaGa 2.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

its garbage

It was so blurry it was like I was playing an upscaled Ps3 game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's just what the game looks like