Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I go up to very old coma victims that just woke up and introduce them to video games by having them watch a few minutes of DOTA2, ensuring that they never touch another video game ever again. Sometimes they just die on the spot, from embarrassment for the poor souls having to play DOTA2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

QuarkJets posted:

I go up to very old coma victims that just woke up and introduce them to video games by having them watch a few minutes of DOTA2, ensuring that they never touch another video game ever again. Sometimes they just die on the spot, from embarrassment for the poor souls having to play DOTA2.

Thanks for reminding me ill hit 5000 hours on dota 2 this weekend

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Elden Ring is my favorite XCOM-like

When you think about it, Elden Ring is a turn based game. You're just taking 20 - 60 turns per second.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Thanks for reminding me ill hit 5000 hours on dota 2 this weekend

Thank you for playing those hours so that others don't have to, God Bless

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

When you think about it, Elden Ring is a turn based game. You're just taking 20 - 60 turns per second.

There's a really good talk from one of the OG Diablo developers where he reveals that it was turn-based and to make it an action game they tried setting the turns to run at 30 Hz and it actually worked lol

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

QuarkJets posted:

Thank you for playing those hours so that others don't have to, God Bless

Bitch list all the games you think are better than dota 2 and I'll list all the ones which are more boring and my list will devour yours

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

rocket league

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

League of Legends

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

croc: legend of the gobbos

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Rocket league is the best game ever made tho

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Bitch list all the games you think are better than dota 2 and I'll list all the ones which are more boring and my list will devour yours

Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2
Elden Ring
Disco Elysium
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Final Fantasy IX

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Doctor J Off posted:

Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2
Elden Ring
Disco Elysium
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Final Fantasy IX

Wait, why no ds3?

Edit: those are all better than dota btw

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_video_games

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Postal 2 is the best game ever.

But Rocket league is a great game for the kiddos to get into gaming with.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Rocket League really was an idea that made me go "poo poo I wish I thought of that" it's so simple yet something that was missing from current times, i.e. a silly sports game.

I feel like Rocket League is the closest thing we have to Speedball from the Amiga these days.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Trollologist posted:

Postal 2 is the best game ever.

i know this is the bad opinions thread but this is just getting silly now

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i know this is the bad opinions thread but this is just getting silly now

You just made an enemy for life.

I'm at the office now, but this evening I'm going to effort post your loving dick off about Postal 2.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Trollologist posted:

You just made an enemy for life.

I'm at the office now, but this evening I'm going to effort post your loving dick off about Postal 2.

i'm sure it will be a very edgy post

with peeing and boobs or something i dunno, i blocked postal 2 out of my memory because it was bad

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

QuarkJets posted:

dota 2 is really fun when you watch a commentated game and only see the 1/10th to 1/5th of the game with the most action at any one point

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Wait, why no ds3?

Edit: those are all better than dota btw

Look I'll level with you, mister. This is a troll post that sorta backfired and I'd like to bail out right now

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The point of Dota 2 is not to have fun but to annoy people to the point where you're having the most fun. I don't know why people struggle with that it's really easy. "I'm going mid" *picks a hero nobody goes mid with*. *plays poorly* *picks items that aren't considered what you're suppose to buy*.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
I am a busy man child with no time for fail states. I do not want to load game, I do not want to memorize attack patterns and repeat the first half of the fight. I have already experienced that content and it does not get more fun on repeat. Why must so many games persist with the concept of hit points? Just show me a frowny face and VO “you’re not playing the game right” as I tank all the boss attacks while underlevelled. I’m here for some novelty, devs, not more dodge rolling!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Duck and Cover posted:

The point of Dota 2 is not to have fun but to annoy people to the point where you're having the most fun. I don't know why people struggle with that it's really easy. "I'm going mid" *picks a hero nobody goes mid with*. *plays poorly* *picks items that aren't considered what you're suppose to buy*.

youre suppose to annoy the enemy team

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

cool chameleoni mean chameleon twist

i had to look up and make sure i wasn't having a waking fever dream of an imagined game lil me played in the halcyon days of yore

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

youre suppose to annoy the enemy team

Of course that's what all chat Axe puns are for.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

teardrop posted:

I am a busy man child with no time for fail states. I do not want to load game, I do not want to memorize attack patterns and repeat the first half of the fight. I have already experienced that content and it does not get more fun on repeat. Why must so many games persist with the concept of hit points? Just show me a frowny face and VO “you’re not playing the game right” as I tank all the boss attacks while underlevelled. I’m here for some novelty, devs, not more dodge rolling!

That's why The Simpsons Game is the pro relaxation experience.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Random Stranger posted:

Real time chess, they call it. Just like dota. :smug:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
lol there are illusory walls in ER that take like

fifty hits to go down

lmao

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
ignoring the Elden Ring debate by playing The Last of Us and Uncharted 2 on my OG Fat PS3 bought in 2009.

how in the hell are these games running in 256 MB of RAM and a 256 MB video card? holy poo poo.

e: they got Wolfenstein The New Order running on the PS3. it plays really, really well.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 19, 2022

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
When you know exactly what hardware you're running something on there's a lot of sneaky little hacks available to you. Games at the end of a console's life, especially exclusives, are so ridiculously optimised, it's amazing.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

tango alpha delta posted:

ignoring the Elden Ring debate by playing The Last of Us and Uncharted 2 on my OG Fat PS3 bought in 2009.

how in the hell are these games running in 256 MB of RAM and a 256 MB video card? holy poo poo.

e: they got Wolfenstein The New Order running on the PS3. it plays really, really well.

texture resolution

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
git gud is dumb bullshit and 98% of reddit is lying about how easy any game is

Path of Exile is a good game balanced poorly around 3 AND EXACTLY 3 viable endgame builds

Elden Ring shouldn't have platforming the controls are upgraded from Souls to "barely playable" from "shopping cart simulator"

Input queuing is just trolling the player and appeals only to people who have nothing else going on in their lives

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

lol

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Elden Ring shouldn’t have weapons and you only trust your fists and if you do the right combos you do uppercuts and hadoukens

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Honest question Does RE4/God of War 2018 control better than FromSoft games?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Elden Ring, but it's a fast paced FPS instead. Elden Ring, but it's a quirky and comedic puzzle platformer. Elden Ring but it's a MOBA.

Let's spin this franchise!

Also six days until the new Borderlands, I'm pumped. I also bought a Series S and CP2077. It's pretty good!

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Theres only one good Dark Souls and its called Kingdom Hearts NoEXP Critical Mode

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

2077 wasn't great or terrible and played like a slightly better Far Cry game

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

X JAKK posted:

Theres only one good Dark Souls and its called Kingdom Hearts NoEXP Critical Mode

The real hardest dark souls boss is Xaldin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

TheSwizzler posted:

2077 wasn't great or terrible and played like a slightly better Far Cry game

I never got hyped for it so I didn't get disappointed. I know it was buggy at launch, but I didn't play it much at all then (I didn't own it). Apparently everyone wanted it to be the everything game as usual. I think it works pretty well for a story driven RPG.

I dunno, I just wanted sci-fi shooties with a big world to wander in and some RPG stuff and it delivered pretty well so far.