Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Wuxi posted:

Can't say much about the french side, but in Germany absolutely not. The megachuds are mostly anti-immigrants, with the odd weirdo hankering for their ancestral homeland in East Prussia/Silesia/Pomerania. And of course antisemitism, can't have any far right without that.

Don't forget the people who believe the German state is illegitimate, and instead the Kaiserreich still exists. They often want the borders of the Reich back as well.

For some mysterious reason most of their core tenets are identical to USA-based sovereign citizens, right down to specifics that are not applicable to Germany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Discuss? Just Do It.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

deathbysnusnu posted:

When you’re cribbing the maginot playbook things are going well.

the maginot line accomplished its mission, which was to relatively cheaply constrain the possible axis of attack for germany and buy france enough time to fight a field battle under advantageous conditions. it really isn't the line's fault that the french army then proceeded to lose that field battle.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Reiterpallasch posted:

the maginot line accomplished its mission, which was to relatively cheaply constrain the possible axis of attack for germany and buy france enough time to fight a field battle under advantageous conditions. it really isn't the line's fault that the french army then proceeded to lose that field battle.

"Surely they won't go through the forest again. Oh god, they went though the forest again!"

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Reiterpallasch posted:

all maginot line problems could have been solved with more maginot line

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Family Values posted:

Discuss? Just Do It.

There's a bit more to the logistics to that. That's like saying "Just Stop the Climate Change."

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Concerned Citizen posted:

Then the attack could have happened anywhere. The French made some stupid assumptions about how the Germans would attack in the area they were concentrated in, but not being concentrated would have been much worse.

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f
https://twitter.com/EerikNKross/sta...6d71cc12a21%2F0

Pretty shocking seeing high ranking Russians dying left right and centre in a modern war. Would've figured they would be way behind the lines orchestrating things.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

sweet geek swag posted:

"Surely they won't go through the forest again. Oh god, they went though the forest again!"

To be fair I think the French wanted to have the line extend over there but Belgium threw a fit about it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

deathbysnusnu posted:

When you’re cribbing the maginot playbook things are going well.

Maginot did work --- it directed the attack through Belgium. Shame about the rest of the French strategy for dealing with the attack through Belgium...,

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Concerned Citizen posted:

Truly; just expand it all the way, or at least extend it enough to warrant the possibility that the inevitable happens again.

There is a reason why Finland goes for the entire front, not just the South Karelia-North Karelia.

Go to the endless forests of Kainuu to circle around, and hey, get hosed.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Der Kyhe posted:

I have to disagree on this; on an active front there should be no reason ever to have face-to-face meetings with the general-level, or even colonel-to-general-level meetings face to face. They should have comm lines, and if that is impossible, have combat messengers to deliver new orders around. There is no need ever to have everyone one the command level to meet face to face, unless you are already messed up, since that compromises the chain of command if anything happens.

And for the comm lines? The paired cable that enables two people to talk to each other across several kilometers is less than what it cost to train any conscript and the tech to do so is WW1 stuff. There is no reason whatsoever for two generals to be at the same place at the same time whatsoever.

Well yes, in theory, but in practise it can help to meet face to face and assess situation on ground together. It's not like NATO generals always understand the risks of gathering together.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-28666287

The main question is did it really happen like reported and if it did, were they aware how risky the position was.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

jmnmu posted:

Pretty shocking seeing high ranking Russians dying left right and centre in a modern war. Would've figured they would be way behind the lines orchestrating things.

Behind the lines isn't necessarily safer for officers in an autocracy on week 3 of the 2 day war plan.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Well yes, in theory, but in practise it can help to meet face to face and assess situation on ground together. It's not like NATO generals always understand the risks of gathering together.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-28666287

The main question is did it really happen like reported and if it did, were they aware how risky the position was.

Yes. I am all in on the Russians getting their generals killed in a one strike, but the idea of doing this in a target area that is known to be an enemy target is just so stupid it has to be propaganda, unless it isn't and then freaking LOL.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Thom12255 posted:

To be fair I think the French wanted to have the line extend over there but Belgium threw a fit about it.

well there was the proposal to extend it along the french border, but then it was thought that the belgians would see that as the french clearly intending to abandon them in the event of a german invasion. so the french also proposed to build it inside of belgium, and the belgians considered that as an intent to have the war occur on belgian soil instead of french soil. so it was a little bit of a political conundrum.

sweet geek swag posted:

Then the attack could have happened anywhere. The French made some stupid assumptions about how the Germans would attack in the area they were concentrated in, but not being concentrated would have been much worse.

but, crucially, the purpose was that the german attack would be delayed to the point that reinforcements could be brought in. that was also part of the reason why an attack through ardennes was not taken seriously - it would take so long to get through it that the french would be able to respond in time and check the germans. of course, it was not actually realistic to double the length of the maginot line.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

jmnmu posted:

Just the usual PSA that a Russian LG = US MG. The next rank up, which is equivalent to US LG, is Colonel General, and I suspect none of those are in Ukraine.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

jmnmu posted:

Is he a Russian LtGen (NATO O-7 equivalent,) or a Colonel General (NATO O-8 equivalent?)

(The Russians don’t have brigadier generals, they start one-stars at Major General.)

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes. I am all in on the Russians getting their generals killed in a one strike, but the idea of doing this in a target area that is known to be an enemy target is just so stupid it has to be propaganda, unless it isn't and then freaking LOL.

Yeah the quote read like "oh there were probably a bunch of generals there and we totally killed them". Really not worth reading into too much.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

spacetoaster posted:

https://twitter.com/RealAlexRubi/status/1503879493479550979?cxt=HHwWhsC-nc6b7d4pAAAA

Like what did you expect a nation under attack to do with a bunch of randos who show up?

https://twitter.com/KassyDillon/status/1503818738264682504
https://twitter.com/KassyDillon/status/1503818901095858182
apparently this dude is full of poo poo.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

jmnmu posted:

The usual line I hear is that these generals are at the front to supervise their men in person, because morale is so low.

https://twitter.com/YahooNewsUK/status/1504787952907530273?t=Smv0gBWB7zI5i8qfHTna4Q&s=19

I don't know what then watching these generals explode does for morale.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
How sure are we about all these reports of high-ranking Russian officers getting killed? It seems like we've been getting a lot of reports along those lines in the last couple days but I have no idea how reliable this information is.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

William Bear posted:

I don't know what then watching these generals explode does for morale.

If their morale is low enough it's probably a big boost.

I'd be interested to know how many generals of around this level Russia has. It sounds like they have quite a few of them - enough that they can shuffle them around to avoid too many issues due to things like this.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 18, 2022

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Pakled posted:

How sure are we about all these reports of high-ranking Russian officers getting killed? It seems like we've been getting a lot of reports along those lines in the last couple days but I have no idea how reliable this information is.

The previous ones have been confirmed by Russia itself (although obviously announced in a very different tone with honorifics, etc.) We'll just to wait and see if this one gets confirmed.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Chalks posted:

If they're morale is low enough it's probably a big boost.

If you're at rock bottom, any difference is an improvement.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

jmnmu posted:

my guess is comms is such loving poo poo is they have to go into the field to give orders. that or Putin/co are "encouraging" them to go to the front.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Pakled posted:

some of them get confirmed by social media or newspaper articles in russia later (during funerals, etc). at least one of them (the chechen general) ended up being totally false. so, i would not take them as the god's truth as there is still fog of war, but at least some of them have ended up panning out.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Pakled posted:

Many of them have been reported in Russian sources though they always say something like "killed while protecting Ukrainian civilians in the special operation" or similar bullshit.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

If you're at rock bottom, any difference is an improvement.

Just imagining a general yelling at his miserable soldiers, walks off to his command hut *boom* everyone cheers.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

jmnmu posted:

A study of battalion commanders during Vietnam showed that commanders who "led from the front" had around 25% more casualties that commanders that stayed out of the fight and focused on directing troops and support.

I wonder what Russian Officer's War College is like, and do they study other doctrines, as well as their own, looking for weaknesses and strengths?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pakled posted:

A couple have been confirmed directly by Russia. At least one was confirmed with various gross blurry aftermath photos. Others yet unconfirmed.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1504810592468713472

Wow, he's looking old.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

*snip*
apparently this dude is full of poo poo.

I would be hesitant about using sources like her, but it would appear probably so, as others have pointed out.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The funny thing is Putin caused the Ukrainian genocide of Russians by sending them to fight the Ukrainians.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

I would be hesitant about using sources like her, but it would appear probably so, as others have pointed out.

agreed. but my guess is the video is from somewhere else probably.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

I mean, you used Alex Rubinstein as a source, so uh . . .

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

jmnmu posted:

LOL at the Russians losing a general at the same airport that had been attacked like 4 or 5 times already.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Yeah Putin looks like he's aged 5 years in the last 3 weeks.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Pakled posted:

There were reports that because Russia have been using normal cell phone networks for communications, the US/Ukraine were not only able to listen in but also triangulate the call location and blow up commanders that way. That could explain their success and also perhaps the certainty with which they've reported these kills prior to Russian confirmation. There can't be many ways for them to know who was there when they blew it up.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sir John Falstaff posted:

I mean, you used Alex Rubinstein as a source, so uh . . .

I don't know who he is, and his bio didn't seem too crazy to me.

But posting the Daily Wire and Conservative Student ORG. would have been more a red flag to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
For some context, there's 11 Combined Arms Armies operating in Ukraine. 3 of them have lost their commanding officers.