Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
its ok everyone

keeping in the trend of anime/manga, we will simply create isolated aquariums to preserve the last remains of oceanic life from a poisonous and dead ocean, a la Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
C-SPAM > [Biosphere Collapse]: "the 6th mass bleaching event is unfolding." -bdelloid

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

SniperWoreConverse posted:

No I mean go online and buy a dime sized piece of coral for $20 and put it in a fish tank and look at it while it slowly grows.

It's like if you were growing alien plants that need a life support system, it'll prime you for trying to keep dandelions alive in the dome time

Where does that coral come from lol

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

It's probably cultured but coral is one of those things where either there's going to be a lot of it or none of it and that switch is going to get flipped pretty quickly.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
The urchins will rule the ocean

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Keeping one oz of cnidarians alive in a bucket is not the same as one billion tons in the middle of the ocean come on

I was jokin' :unsmigghh:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

if it's so easy, then why isn't anybody who lives in australia doing anything about it??

they have lots of coal scientists working on it

can't spell coral without coal, ime

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

yeah and you can't spell amusement without semen

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

The Oldest Man posted:

It's probably cultured but coral is one of those things where either there's going to be a lot of it or none of it and that switch is going to get flipped pretty quickly.

this, the best and sometimes cheapest are the ones pruned off some other person's colony.

i'd say more like it's a soft on/off with wild corals, they've been dying back for a while now, but when the slow mo switch clicks in imo the rest will all die basically instantly. Both coral reefs and kelp forests have been able to establish in weird deep water refugia that will surely be wiped out when the currents shift.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

this, the best and sometimes cheapest are the ones pruned off some other person's colony.

i'd say more like it's a soft on/off with wild corals, they've been dying back for a while now, but when the slow mo switch clicks in imo the rest will all die basically instantly. Both coral reefs and kelp forests have been able to establish in weird deep water refugia that will surely be wiped out when the currents shift.

Climate change but the Doom music kicks in

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

Everyone in this thread should see a coral reef (like get in the water with one) before they are all gone, if you can. They are so loving incredibly cool up close, I don't think the english language has a word to describe how evil what we are doing to them is

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
If corals didnt want to get boiled alive so I can go to applebees in a 40,000lb SUV then they should have evolved better

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

tiberion02 posted:

C-SPAM > [Biosphere Collapse]: "the 6th mass bleaching event is unfolding." -bdelloid

"I'm going back to bed for another 25,000 years."

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

quote:

Both communities must do more to talk to each other, instead of at each other. It won’t be easy, but appreciation for the same literature could be a starting point. After all, Limits inspired both the green-growth and post-growth communities, and both were similarly influenced by the first study on planetary boundaries. . .which attempted to define limits for the biophysical processes that determine Earth’s capacity for self-regulation.

Opportunities for cooperation are imminent. At the end of January, the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services announced a big study into the causes of biodiversity loss, including the role of economic systems. More than 100 authors from 40 countries and different fields will spend two years assessing the literature. They will recommend “transformative change to the systems leading us to catastrophe”, says study co-chair, political scientist Arun Agrawal at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

Another opportunity is an upcoming revision of the rules for what is measured in GDP. These will be agreed by countries’ chief statisticians and organized through the UN, and are due to be finalized in 2025. For the first time, the statisticians are asking how sustainability and well-being could be more closely aligned to GDP. Both post-growth and green-growth advocates have valuable perspectives.

Research can be territorial — new communities emerge sometimes because of disagreements in fields. But green-growth and post-growth scientists need to see the bigger picture. Right now, both are articulating different visions to policymakers, and there is a risk this will delay action. In 1972, there was still time to debate, and less urgency to act. Now, the world is running out of time.

Hmm, I don't have much hope for "calling time on a 50-year argument." The problem is apparently urgent, but the remedies suggested are for "post-growth" to give concessions, literature reviews, and technocratic adjustments to GDP calculations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Any adjustment to a sustainable lifestyle will look like a drop off a cliff from our perspective, rocketing upwards from the end of WW2 til now

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

https://twitter.com/PeterBrannen1/status/1504463899424395264
https://twitter.com/PeterBrannen1/status/1494688614072131597

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hubbert posted:

its ok everyone

keeping in the trend of anime/manga, we will simply create isolated aquariums to preserve the last remains of oceanic life from a poisonous and dead ocean, a la Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance

I keep saying Evangelion is a climate change movie!

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

that's for when the planet's only partially ruined, when things get real bad you gotta launch the seed arks out to a lagrange point

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

they keep getting suicidally depressed and quitting the field tho

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

got some cheap baobab seeds off ebay, takes 15-20 years to get to fruiting size so ill probably never see that but they germinate pretty easily! just gotta find a higher neighborhood to plant them in that won't be underwater by then. the powdery part tastes pretty good too, like a freeze dried lemon or something.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

something seems to be happening pretty regularly ever 50 million years or so! some kind of cycle of life, too much life? oops dead

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

pissinthewind posted:

something seems to be happening pretty regularly ever 50 million years or so! some kind of cycle of life, too much life? oops dead

I think it's species specialization and interdependence increasing until a systemic shock rugpulls the basis of those specialized species and the complex interdependence takes out the rest.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

new gangtang please

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
That's Captain Major Vibe Shift to you

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

actionjackson posted:

interesting discussion, they do fully agree that civilization as we know it is over, at one point they mention that while many people acknowledge climate change is bad, they don't recognize the effect it will have on future generations, including their own children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVhpcpJcNkQ

they need to be arrested for making this a YouTube video

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I found myself unable to give a crap and closed the tab within 80 seconds

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Discussion › Debate & Discussion › Climate Change: I found myself unable to give a crap and closed the tab within 80 seconds

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I found myself unable to give a crap and closed the tab within 80 seconds

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ikanreed posted:

I think it's species specialization and interdependence increasing until a systemic shock rugpulls the basis of those specialized species and the complex interdependence takes out the rest.

it's nibiru

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

ikanreed posted:

this seems way too smart

more likely considering the backwards hell world we live in

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

God Hole posted:

the moon is dropping faster than previously thought

it’s time to learn to live with the falling moon

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

quote:

Parts of eastern Antarctica have seen temperatures hover 70 degrees (40 Celsius) above normal for three days and counting, Wille said. He likened the event to the June heat wave in the Pacific Northwest, which scientists concluded would have been “virtually impossible” without human-caused climate change.
Hm

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
It's La Niña this year, the colder water part of the cycle.

The poor, poor coral. I hope something survives our cursed species.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
In case anyone had any hope that Extinction Rebellion could actually be a force for good I regret to inform you they're morons

https://twitter.com/ExtinctionR/status/1504959223922573312?t=G7Bj-ZYaNEvdQ7Mw0_N67w&s=19

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
It's an OP, op.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Fake Name posted:

In case anyone had any hope that Extinction Rebellion could actually be a force for good I regret to inform you they're morons

https://twitter.com/ExtinctionR/status/1504959223922573312?t=G7Bj-ZYaNEvdQ7Mw0_N67w&s=19

what the gently caress is gitcoin? does it involve paying for Linux?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Remember when they got mad at some members for blockating a subway or some other protest? Give us money for nothing because you're a bad person is a timeless grift.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Fake Name posted:

shocking!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Discussion › Debate & Discussion › Climate Change: I found myself unable to give a crap and closed the tab within 80 seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Fake Name posted:

cmon they have to at least pretend to be trying