Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

I wonder if Marcus is actually still Marcus. Could the entity have taken over his body?

I'm hoping he's still there somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Marcus and the snake controlling entity switched bodies like that movie 18 Again.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

oh no oh gently caress

is what I thought at the end

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
show runner seems pretty confident in a third season

https://mobile.twitter.com/IGN/status/1504729422464704540

that said i aint reading all that

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

re: above
:dehumanize:

but milkshed

cannot wait for more milkshed

maybe marcus will be filled with milk and be a new necromancer

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

wolfs posted:

oh no oh gently caress

is what I thought at the end

You do you, you crazy rear end show were mine

also maybe i shouldnt be laughing and upside down floating t pose marcus

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

wolfs posted:

re: above
:dehumanize:

but milkshed

cannot wait for more milkshed

maybe marcus will be filled with milk and be a new necromancer

Maybe having the eyes inside him for so long means he can fly now. Basically the same logic that let the snake fly after all!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The snake is biotech that has the same creator as the necro who also fly without any apparent propulsion.

Lotta folk all bent out of shape by the cool ugly snake flying gently and not the lady who can explode someone with scream and fly because of her eyeballs.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I WILL BLEED YOU INTO OBLIVION

God Sol, I love this show. That final shot was badass

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Your Gay Uncle posted:

This is all from catholic school (15 years or so ago) so it's pretty muddled in my brain but I remember being taught that Peter was crucified upside as an act of humility, because he felt unworthy of being crucified the same way as Jesus.
Peter was also the first pope, so maybe this means Marcus is going to be AI pope or something.

Peter also denied Jesus (Sol) right before he was crucified and regretted it, maybe this is a return to Sol?

Odin also was hanged on a tree and had an eye missing.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I have thoroughly enjoyed this show but do not recommend getting really high and watching a couple episodes before bed.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I […] thoroughly […] recommend getting really high and watching a couple episodes before bed.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

People watch this show sober?

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
My milksnake brings all the droids to the yard
And they’re like, it’s actually Sol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ok, I'm somewhat confused about the order of events now. There appears to be leftovers from at least two other iterations of the conflict with Sol. One is the Engineers looking guys (from S1 and and the one found by Marcus in the cave) and then there is also one iteration where grandma was involved (they must have been modern day humans because she looks like a modern human). Did the grandma iteration happen before the engineer one? Cause the engineers are still around, but we don't see native modern day humans. But then where do the engineer guys with their human DNA come from? They can't be around after the emergence of modern humans.

Have they ever explicitly confirmed how far in the future this takes place? Is it possible that we are tens or even hundreds of thousands of years into the future? That the show civilization on earth is not actually our own but one completely rebuild after human life has been wiped before? I mean, they could possibly found the ruins of Boston and decide to keep the name like how a shitton of US towns are named in the native American language despite the people having been destroyed there.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Ridley Scott is obsessed with panspermia and not up to date on the latest science (or science at all) so you can't expect his take on history/evolution to match up with our known reality.

so you have kelper seeding earth giving us modern humans who get a signal from the entity giving them super tech and they take over the world (the mithraics). the people who seeded the earth were those who rejected the entity and sought to escape it on kelper.

you can say that doesn't make sense and Ridley will respond "What about the existence of the soul? prove that stupid science bitch!"

Vitruvian Manic fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 19, 2022

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
After seeing the tree, I'm remembering the weird trapped-looking human head in the metal shape from the end of season 1, and we were all thinking "oh it's an android from the past" and now I'm thinking: "those weird artifacts only work when they trap a human in them, or something"

Edit: also what is the shape of those artifacts? Like the tree container one?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

It's Always Sol(ly) in Keplerdelphia

GABA ghoul posted:

Ok, I'm somewhat confused about the order of events now. There appears to be leftovers from at least two other iterations of the conflict with Sol. One is the Engineers looking guys (from S1 and and the one found by Marcus in the cave) and then there is also one iteration where grandma was involved (they must have been modern day humans because she looks like a modern human). Did the grandma iteration happen before the engineer one? Cause the engineers are still around, but we don't see native modern day humans. But then where do the engineer guys with their human DNA come from? They can't be around after the emergence of modern humans.

Have they ever explicitly confirmed how far in the future this takes place? Is it possible that we are tens or even hundreds of thousands of years into the future? That the show civilization on earth is not actually our own but one completely rebuild after human life has been wiped before? I mean, they could possibly found the ruins of Boston and decide to keep the name like how a shitton of US towns are named in the native American language despite the people having been destroyed there.

I think it's just 1 iteration, not multiple. But we will see.

I assume that the cave/hole looking ones were also done by Grandmother. Or another Grandmother from up north. Or humans just evolved that way after so long. Father said that remains he found that would eventually be Grandmother were over a million years old.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

The only thing I could think of the entire time Grandmother was explaining her plan to turn the colonists into acid mermaids to keep them safe from the entity's influence.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

redreader posted:

After seeing the tree, I'm remembering the weird trapped-looking human head in the metal shape from the end of season 1, and we were all thinking "oh it's an android from the past" and now I'm thinking: "those weird artifacts only work when they trap a human in them, or something"

Edit: also what is the shape of those artifacts? Like the tree container one?

It was a grandmother-model android in the dodeca-prison-hedron. Mother had a vision of it surrounded by cloaked figures toward the end of season 1 when she scanned the mithraic tarot. In the vision she sees the masked head vomit up a bunch of milk. Then an episode or two later, she finds an actual prison-hedron with a grandmother-style android in it and the mouth was forced open. Draped across the hedron is snakeskin.

Since mother birthed the snaketopus mouth-wise, and there are radioactive snakebones about, it's not that much of a stretch to figure that Sol/the entity has tried this exact thing before.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Season 3 opening Father joke

What do Mithraics mop the floor with?

Pine Sol!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I assume that the cave/hole looking ones were also done by Grandmother. Or another Grandmother from up north. Or humans just evolved that way after so long. Father said that remains he found that would eventually be Grandmother were over a million years old.

The two surviving "engineers" both wear hoods/cauls made of snakeskin, so I assume they're of Grandmother's generation and that's how they avoid the influence of the signal.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
any christians want to do a deep dive into the whole symbolism in the show? it feels very allegorical and I am absolutely missing it. I know upside down crosses are for popes (and black metal/angsty teens) and snake and tree of life but I'm guessing that's a Rosetta stone I don't have.

like do androids eat from the tree of life and become immortal while humans eat from the tree of knowledge and doom themselves to die (or literally become trees)?

Vitruvian Manic fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 19, 2022

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

It would be cool to get a grandmother flashback episode

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
half the third season will be just following the daily life of the sea-men

it will not be subtitled

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Marcus is literally a reverse Necromancer, I love it.

I will miss Sue a lot, I really liked her. Cool gal. Alas, those who play with the devil's toys...

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I will miss Sue a lot, I really liked her. Cool gal. Alas, those who play with the devil's toys...
Sadly, her bark was worse than her bite

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Martman posted:

Sadly, her bark was worse than her bite

:xd:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Can't believe this show killed off Sue AND the serpent, two of my favourite characters... If anything happens to Father I don't know what I'll do

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Pretty fortunate Father found Grandmother on this huge rear end planet and figured out dumping milky goo on it would bring it back to life.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

sucraM

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Marcus is literally a reverse Necromancer, I love it.

i'm wondering if this new thing will be the 'original' necromancer. it certainly fits the name better than the androids did.

why they are called necromancers is still the only mystery i care about

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CODChimera posted:

Grandmother said that they were created by Technocrats to ensure the persistence of human life. Resurrection tech that took a left turn into doing Reverse Ariels?

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

CODChimera posted:

i'm wondering if this new thing will be the 'original' necromancer. it certainly fits the name better than the androids did.

It could be symbolic, it could reference that they're dangerous and (basically) magical, but also military equipment gets dumb names sometimes, e.g. Thunderchief.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

SirPablo posted:

Pretty fortunate Father found Grandmother on this huge rear end planet and figured out dumping milky goo on it would bring it back to life.

I hate this kind of snarky "takedown". There are a billion examples of this in real life. Pretty lucky someone figured out that eating mouldy bread stops you being killed by invisible organisms for example.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Will we even get a season 3? I dont understand anything but for some reason I still love this weird rear end show. I think it has to do with the leaky milk bots.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Xaintrailles posted:

It could be symbolic, it could reference that they're dangerous and (basically) magical, but also military equipment gets dumb names sometimes, e.g. Thunderchief.

yeah someone mentioned the military dumb names way back in S1 and it's probably just that. still fun to speculate

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

SirPablo posted:

there’s probably tons of grandmothers lying around in caves and shallow graves, like the seed boxes. they keep finding old crap like that when just tilling the soil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Finally caught up and finished season 2. :wom:

We better be hearing "Season 3 has been greenlit" soon!