Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

jiggerypokery posted:

The thing is that most people just care about the wrong things. It doesn't matter how cruel, corrupt, dishonest, incompetent these people are. The only thing that ever hurts people in public life is hypocrisy.

If partygate was finally the thing that ended Boris career, it wouldn't have been some great moral victory. If anything it would have been sort of depressing. But nothing else he did was ever going to end it. Just hypocrisy.

Same thing with this Russia brexit poo poo. We all know its not the point that really matters, but it might be the point that actually hurts them.

I’ve never seen pointing out hypocrisy do anything other than make liberals feel better about themselves while the people with the levers of power keep on cheerfully justifying their positions with whatever bullshit they like.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

How bizarre! There are blue cats "Russian blue" not sure if they are the only blue ones.
I'd share a piccie but I'm phone posting and it's in the 'too hard' box (aka I can't be bothered to find out how).

Russian Blues are beautiful but are sort-of blue-grey : these cats were proper blue. Unnaturally so. But they weren't dyed.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Like an arsonist blending into the crowd to watch the fire they started burn.

Nicely put. Although it's more like an arsonist tossing a cup of water onto a raging fire, then expecting a pat on the back.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1504868192312872966?s=20&t=Un1BHhCoewGWwPPkfk1qLQ

Absolutely useless cunts.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

therattle posted:

Russian Blues are beautiful but are sort-of blue-grey : these cats were proper blue. Unnaturally so. But they weren't dyed.

Nicely put. Although it's more like an arsonist tossing a cup of water onto a raging fire, then expecting a pat on the back.

look forkboy84 this just isnt on

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

lmao

https://twitter.com/HackedOffHugh/status/1504946989783711744?s=20&t=jx4MysNlPm_7Y7ZjcU41rw

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

This. This is why Caroline's work is worth gently caress all.

https://twitter.com/PierreOrsini1/status/1504835222591913988?s=19

Sirpies

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't get it, who is that?

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Dabir posted:

He's the leader of the Labour party bud

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the subject of external harmful influences in our society, the second part of Caelan Conrad's big terf video series is out and spoilers, it's not the russians doing it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBbOw_K6K5Q

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Dabir posted:

Gonna assume it's Pierre Orsini.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(aka I can't be bothered to find out how).
Posting pictures from your phone is so much easier that when I'm on PC I'll take my phone out when I want to do it: in the Awful app, press "[bb]", "insert Imgur", then either paste in the url you've copied or select "upload>from file", it automatically uploads it to Imgur for you & puts the code in (if you're not using the Awful app, you should do, it's great) :)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Borrovan posted:

Posting pictures from your phone is so much easier that when I'm on PC I'll take my phone out when I want to do it: in the Awful app, press "[bb]", "insert Imgur", then either paste in the url you've copied or select "upload>from file", it automatically uploads it to Imgur for you & puts the code in (if you're not using the Awful app, you should do, it's great) :)

same

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Even if we accept your frame of reference, that a) Putin has specific aims for the UK and b) the state apparatus of Russia is capable of very precisely steering the chaotic mess of the modern UK (and I would *very* strongly dispute the first point there and just flatly deny the second because RT has viewing numbers lower than my tweets), a fascist UK makes no sense as the end goal and if it was the end goal they're going about it all wrong.

A fascist UK most definitely does *not* fulfill either of those roles. Ultra-nationalism makes buying up half of Kensington so your failson has somewhere to park his Lamborghini much, much harder. A fascist UK is definitely *not* going to suddenly join the Non-Aligned Movement, it's going to buy all the nukes it can get it's hands on from the US and start getting a *lot* more shouty about petrochemical prices.

Yes, start from a false premise, get to a false conclusion. What Putin presumably wants is not a fascist Britain, but a corrupt one. 1990s Russia, not 2020s.

They thing is, as the invasion of Ukraine shows, actions taken with a given goal do not always have the consequence of achieving that goal.

Putin sees there are racist views in the UK that are underrepresented in the main stream media. He sponsors Farage to serve that market, as someone who knows how to speak on TV and also, with Brexit, ticks a box on his Big List of Plans. It’s probably even mostly a coincidence that the specific targets of the racism (Eastern Europeans) are ones he personally despises.

With social media backing, Farage gets poll numbers and electoral success that the self-funded thugs of the 70s and 80s could never dream of. Keeping him outside the mainstream seems to become impossible. So instead the mainstream moves to him.

The normalization of racism is not a planned intended consequence; it is merely collateral damage from the weapons used to achieve strategic goals.

What it comes down to is someone attempting to achieve strategic goals in the country you live in is very rarely going to be happy fun times, and it would be nice if they stopped.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Dabir posted:

No one, people are making fun of the fact that it seems Starmer has a coldsore in the picture, which while yes it's caused by a strain of the herpes virus, is also something almost 4 billion people in the world have and something I think is incredibly dumb to make fun of someone for.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

No one, people are making fun of the fact that it seems Starmer has a coldsore in the picture, which while yes it's caused by a strain of the herpes virus, is also something almost 4 billion people in the world have and something I think is incredibly dumb to make fun of someone for.

coincidently do you have the herp

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Just posting here so this tweet can be rightfully mocked.

https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/1505132372827725824

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We regret to inform you that the cosmonaut Georgy Gagalloway was unable to complete his mission after the brim of his giant metal fedora became lodged in the doorway of a toilet unit at Baikonur Cosmodrome.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

radmonger posted:

Yes, start from a false premise, get to a false conclusion. What Putin presumably wants is not a fascist Britain, but a corrupt one. 1990s Russia, not 2020s.

I think what Putin wants is to be at the head of the table in the aftermath of the collapse of the American empire.

To me, the picture we are looking at is incredibly, incredibly bleak. I give very very low odds of the US surviving another Trump presidency, and high odds of him winning 2024. What "not surviving" looks like I am not sure, but it's going to be an absolute loving poo poo show.

The UK is a sad little island that needs a major partner to exist. The US is going to be in utter turmoil leaving the NATO with no underwriter and Putin sycophants in the white house and everywhere in the US media (already happening, look at literally any US rightwing grifter on twitter).

Putin will be squaring off with what remains of Europe, potentially backed by china at least in terms of economic support. Little England is going to have to make a choice between the EU and Putin's Russia as it's major partner in the next century. Putin's Russia bringing with it the kind of naked oppression not seen since Stalin.

I think Putin's game in the UK is to tip the scales more and more if the UK has to make the choice between a neoliberal and fascist alliance. I think he has bigger ambitions than protecting oligarch wealth in London. Bad to much, much worse, basically.

I don't think goddamndtwisto made a false premise or conclusion. I think it's a best case scenario. I think the scenario I laid out is a possibility too, maybe much less likely, but I don't know exactly what the odds are.

Even if there's like a 10% chance my scenario plays out, and a 90% chance goddamndtwisto's plays out, I'd still take exposing and ripping out Kremlin influence now over not.

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 19, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Borrovan posted:

Thanks for the tutorial. I might try it some day :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If they want to launch george galloway into space that would actually be very nice.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Ash Crimson posted:

coincidently do you have the herp

gently caress off.

My partners sister gets coldsores and everytime they appear she locks herself away for two weeks until it goes away. They often come about when she's going through a period of great stress or depression, so societies frankly childish reaction to a very common ailment doesn't help her mental health.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 19, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

On the subject of external harmful influences in our society, the second part of Caelan Conrad's big terf video series is out and spoilers, it's not the russians doing it!
Starting to think that Hume was right about monotheism :v:

More seriously it underlines (again) that the whole GC thing is projection and an excuse for feeling righteous and on the inside of the truth while doing nothing but indulging one's unexamined prejudices. As Caelan says, Qanon for mom blogs.

I was thinking about this yesterday with some of the poo poo going through (or not going through) parliament. Last year we were told by terf twitter that trans existence is "a distraction from women's health issues" because someone somewhere wrote 'pregnant people' or 'people with wombs' in a pamphlet in some LGBT community centre somewhere, and that 'real feminists' have to fight against 'oppression of biological women'.

Okay, cool, here you go:
https://twitter.com/BPAS1968/status/1504759886542000151

And yet so far the reaction to this has been crickets, tumbleweeds. UK GC twitter has instead apparently been up in arms about some US college swimming gala that I guarantee none of them would have given a single solitary poo poo about if all the competitors were cis. Gender identity as a distraction from sex based biological health issues indeed.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Worth a read - way too long to copy. I read it with a free account so no need to pay anything:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/prepare-general-election-inflation-uk-ukraine-boris-johnson-fr8dgcwlw

quote:

When David Canzini, the prime minister’s new deputy chief of staff, addressed advisers on Friday last week he had some surprising news. The Australian strategist, an ally of Sir Lynton Crosby, told those present that they had to begin preparing for the possibility of a general election in the autumn of next year.

Delivering on the promises of Brexit was at the top of the list. “If you don’t think that’s a priority you shouldn’t be here,” Canzini said. The cost-of-living crisis was second, and the NHS, crime and migrant boats were the others.

“It was a strange list of priorities,” one government aide said. “We’re on the brink of a generational cost-of-living crisis and yet Brexit was top of the list.”

etc
etc

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fuctifino posted:

Just posting here so this tweet can be rightfully mocked.

https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/1505132372827725824

Galloway is a fanny (I shouldn't really need to say that as I've made my feelings on him clear before but...) but in this limited instance he's right. This space conference or whatever the gently caress it is that removed Yuri Gagarin's name from some meeting or other was moronic & deserves to be mocked. Yuri Gagarin died before man stepped on the moon, he's got absolutely gently caress all to do with Russia invading a neighbour. It's the same with performances of Tchiakovsky's work being cancelled, or any other Russian composer, be it Prokofiev or Stavinsky or Rachmaninoff. MAYBE there's a case for limiting Russian artists still alive & not actively condemning their state but even that is really loving iffy to me. Demanding everyone who lives in a repressive state to denounce it before you can engage with their work is maybe a bad precedent?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Starting to think that Hume was right about monotheism :v:

More seriously it underlines (again) that the whole GC thing is projection and an excuse for feeling righteous and on the inside of the truth while doing nothing but indulging one's unexamined prejudices. As Caelan says, Qanon for mom blogs.

I think the thing that strikes me is that the core attitude seems to be "I own my children"

Like these people just cannot deal with the idea that their kids have different priorities, different wants, different ways of looking at the world than they do, and that they have those different positions because they fundamentally experience the world differentl than their parents.

And while I was watching it it really grated on me how familiar that is, because that's exactly the attitude that you see across society, from people who have lived the most sheltered, easy existence imaginable and who fundamentally cannot conceive that things like racism, sexism, lgbt-phobias, and economic inequality, all that poo poo are real things that their kids have legit grievances with. They can only parse it through the idea that they have been "corrupted" somehow or they are just doing it to hurt their poor, victimized parents or whatever, who are of course the real victims because their kids don't want to talk to them because all they spout is the most utter idiotic shite imaginable they got off facebook or whatever.

And they do it all while desperately trying to fabricate the same feeling of oppression they whinge about everyone else having for unjustified reasons. I do not have words for how unspeakably nauseating I find these people and their behaviour.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

gently caress off.

My partners sister gets coldsores and everytime they appear she locks herself away for two weeks until it goes away. They often come about when she's going through a period of great stress or depression, so societies frankly childish reaction to a very common ailment doesn't help her mental health.

herpes confirmed

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Another random electricity update: Despite being the middle of the day, fossil fuel has fallen to 7.3% of demand plus whatever it makes up of the 7% we are importing from mainland europe. Wind and Solar are both delivering at the same time (Wind @ 35%, Solar at 27%).

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 19, 2022

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pablo Bluth posted:

Another random electricity update: Despite being the middle of the day, fossil fuel has fallen to 7.3% of demand plus whatever it makes up of the 7% we are importing from mainland europe. Wind and Solar are both delivering at the same time (Wind @ 35%, Solar at 27%).

Just screenshotted this from my solar panel data provider

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

Pablo Bluth posted:

The middle of the day is a lull in British electricity demand. The peaks are generally just after sunset when everyone start turning on lights, using ovens to cook dinner, and so on. Given gas generation is very flexible and can run up and down to match demand, heavily subsidised must-run renewables having a large share in the middle of the day on a weekend isn't massively surprising.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i hear national grid goes haywire wehen break comes on corrie, for because of everyone makes cup of tea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :holy:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

RDevz posted:

The middle of the day is a lull in British electricity demand. The peaks are generally just after sunset when everyone start turning on lights, using ovens to cook dinner, and so on. Given gas generation is very flexible and can run up and down to match demand, heavily subsidised must-run renewables having a large share in the middle of the day on a weekend isn't massively surprising.
Demand is about 30GW, about midle of the overnight lows (22GW) and evening highs (37GW). Getting close to fossil free electricity at any point is a good start. Heck, since 1st Jan fossils have averaged 11.71GW to renewables 10.63GW. I expect wind fallover over the summer to change the picture, but it's all progress.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

gently caress off.

Are you alright

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
people are really insensitive about visible ailments. when my dodgy disc goes out and i walk anywhere without my crutch people stare most likely thinking i have soiled my unders or something, it pisses me right off

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Have you tried keeping one hand pressed to your back and hobbling around going aaargh oooohhh me baaaack

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i occasionally do mathias from monty python's life of brian but i don't think anyone under 30 knows what it is

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ash Crimson posted:

Are you alright
have you tried not being a bellend

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

just give it a go like, bit of variety in your gimmick

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

TACD posted:

have you tried not being a bellend

Im getting some really negative vibes from you

Just chill okay

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Probably the worst page of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Former PMs back Nuremberg-style trial for Putin: Gordon Brown and Sir John Major join calls for an international tribunal to investigate Russia.

Well at least it's not Blair calling for it. :v:

This is in no way in support of Russia or the Russian narrative regarding the war on Ukraine, get Putin into Hague if you can, he deserves it.