Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
With being able to see No Way Home in 4k, some new stuff has been seen. Like the display of Spider-Man fan art in the school, almost all of it is attributed to writers or artists that have worked on Spider-Man comics over the years, like one of them is from JMS which is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I found it very odd in No Way Home that Eddie Brock/Venom just hung out in a bar and was never really mainlined into the Spidey stuff. They had kept Brock's adjacency to the Spider-man films vague and noncommittal for the most part and it makes me wonder why they decided to include it in the way they did.

Maybe the studio wants to be able to to the Symbiote Symbiote Spidey story and then lead into an in-universe Venom that's more strictly villainous?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Finally got to watch NWH. Any one else take unconscious Spider-Man still dodging Doctor Strange as a Madame Web foreshadow? Made me remember they're doing sexy a Madame Web movie.

lol I marked out for the ASM2 Electro theme reprise.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

bushisms.txt posted:

Finally got to watch NWH. Any one else take unconscious Spider-Man still dodging Doctor Strange as a Madame Web foreshadow? Made me remember they're doing sexy a Madame Web movie.

lol I marked out for the ASM2 Electro theme reprise.

Not at all?

It felt more like the poorly explored, and even more poorly explained MCU Spider-Sense was allowing him to dodge to me.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 17, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

SlimGoodbody posted:

I found it very odd in No Way Home that Eddie Brock/Venom just hung out in a bar and was never really mainlined into the Spidey stuff. They had kept Brock's adjacency to the Spider-man films vague and noncommittal for the most part and it makes me wonder why they decided to include it in the way they did.

Maybe the studio wants to be able to to the Symbiote Symbiote Spidey story and then lead into an in-universe Venom that's more strictly villainous?

I'm not sure if you missed it but a piece of the symbiote got left behind, so they're definitely planning something for it.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

SlimGoodbody posted:

Its kind of fascinating the lengths they went to get Venom into the MCU for such a short cameo. I've been assuming that they want to do some kind of MCU symbiot, but Sony wouldn't agree unless it had some kind of connection to their Venom films, even if that connection is largely pointless. I do get the feeling that whatever they do won't involve an Eddie Brock. My guess is we'll get Mac Gargan as the host, given they still haven't followed up on the character after teasing him at the end of Homecoming. Though MCU Flash Thompson getting a symbiot would be fun.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I imagine MCU Flash Venom would go something like "Wow you're a bigger loser than Eddie" and then moving on to find another host

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I honestly would love to see them jump the number of hoops it would take to explain why MCU Flash decided not to go to MIT and instead join the army. Maybe they could just skip straight to the car crash? It could work if they were doing an Osborn story, which would be a real weird choice now.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There's nothing saying that the MCU can't have an Eddie Brock too. Maybe one more in line with the original comics version too. Hell, they'd probably do a movie where MCU Peter has to get Hardy Brock to help him fight his Venom.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Weird thing to come from The Batman is that Paul Dano is writing a Riddler limited series comic.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

muscles like this! posted:

Weird thing to come from The Batman is that Paul Dano is writing a Riddler limited series comic.

That is weird, though he says he's a comic reader. But they almost always say that, I don't know how much is pandering anymore.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Not to stereotype, but

This dude reads comics.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Batman's real good. Is it the best Batman movie? Maybe. I don't think it beats 88, but I am still a big fan of Begins.

I like how this is a Batman who's skilled, but not infallible every second. He misjudges things, takes hits, takes spills, and otherwise is imperfect. I really loved how he and Gordon are actually LOOKING AT CLUES and WORKING A CASE. Punching people seems secondary.

In the final act I liked how The Ridder Starts going Bruce Wayne in a mocking tone, and Batman starts going "oh poo poo he knows who i am" but then when the Ridder says that Bruce is the one Orphan that didn't come to the orphanage, you can see such relief in his eyes when he realizes his identity was safe

But I haaaaaaated HEY ITS THE JOKER! gently caress that poo poo, lucky it was for like one scene but god drat loving hell, STOP SHOVING THE JOKER INTO EVERYTHING. . Though I love how the film has Bruce going from pretty much a revenge driven nihilist but realizes that his methods are just contributing to the slow death of the city. He is a Bruce Wayne that doesn't care about Gotham, which is kind of a massive change in the character. But by the end, he realizes that no, he needs to actually give hope to the city.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sgt. Politeness posted:

That is weird, though he says he's a comic reader. But they almost always say that, I don't know how much is pandering anymore.

I want Pattinson to write something, but he's probably too busy. But you could tell he loved the Batman comics, so that was cool.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think a few weeks back DeVito did a Penguin story in a villains anthology book. Anyone read that?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

I think a few weeks back DeVito did a Penguin story in a villains anthology book. Anyone read that?

I did and I don't recommend it.

Penguin and Catwoman fall in love, then steal the entire world's supply of COVID vaccines, somehow make them airborne and vaccinate the planet. It may sound the good kind of crazy but it's not.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Is there anywhere to just rent No Way Home instead of buying it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamesman posted:

Buying precedes rentals for a few weeks. Get extra money out of impatient people.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jamesman posted:

You can buy it digitally from wherever. I just looked and it's on Vudu.

The physical release is still next month.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

TwoPair posted:

I did and I don't recommend it.

Penguin and Catwoman fall in love, then steal the entire world's supply of COVID vaccines, somehow make them airborne and vaccinate the planet. It may sound the good kind of crazy but it's not.

Danny DeVito is pretty leftist iirc, so I at least appreciate him coming at it from the angle of "archetypal leftist romantic pairing of gremlin podcaster bf/smokeshow e-girl gf do universal healthcare"

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

hiddenriverninja posted:

I imagine MCU Flash Venom would go something like "Wow you're a bigger loser than Eddie" and then moving on to find another host

Honestly, this is the best possible outcome.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Love that all the old guys who jerk themselves raw on Goodfella's keep posting that shot from No Way Home of Flash answering his phone put up against a iconic shot from some older movie. Oh yea of course this isn't as good as the intro shot from Clockwork Orange or the barracks shot from Full Metal Jacket, its a guy answering his phone. Its an insert shot. Gotta get those clicks saying this popular thing is actually bad.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

Love that all the old guys who jerk themselves raw on Goodfella's keep posting that shot from No Way Home of Flash answering his phone put up against a iconic shot from some older movie. Oh yea of course this isn't as good as the intro shot from Clockwork Orange or the barracks shot from Full Metal Jacket, its a guy answering his phone. Its an insert shot. Gotta get those clicks saying this popular thing is actually bad.

I know some of it is covid / location constraint but the insane dependence the marvel machine has for green-screening EVERYTHING is really starting to show. The flash shot is a symptom of a worse problem. the other shot with Flash (where he’s in that MIT social) was also shot in a green-screen room by himself. Like it’s a scene of Flash answering a call in a room with some extras. There was no FX needed for this poo poo.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 21, 2022

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I know some of it is covid / location constraint but the insane dependence the marvel machine has for green-screening EVERYTHING is really starting to show. The flash shot is a symptom of a worse problem. the other shot with Flash (where he’s in that MIT social) was also shot in a green-screen room by himself. Like it’s a scene of Flash answering a call in a room with some extras. There was no FX needed for this poo poo.

I'm reading it was due to scheduling conflicts with the actor, a situation where he couldn't be there on the day they where shooting with that location and those extras. So, they filmed him separate and added him in.

Honestly, I'm not sure how that's a big deal one way or another.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

glitchwraith posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure how that's a big deal one way or another.

This is kind of it. Who cares? Film Criticism has turned into watching a movie frame by frame looking for things to complain about.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Tommy Wiseau was AD

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

twistedmentat posted:

This is kind of it. Who cares? Film Criticism has turned into watching a movie frame by frame looking for things to complain about.
This is unfortunately true

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The effects in MCU movies routinely suck rear end. We don’t have to defend them just because we like the movies.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

The effects in MCU movies routinely suck rear end. We don’t have to defend them just because we like the movies.

I don't think this is the case. Most of the effects are really really good to the point you don't notice. Like in Endgame, all the Avengers time travel outfits are CGI. That's really good.

But then you have some really bad effects like Bruce in the Hulkbuster armor in Infinity War.

It's probably just a matter of how rushed they are, and it makes sense if those were some of the last shots added and they didn't have time to make it look better.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
No Way Home definitely has a certain vibe, through the way that scenes and dialogue were executed, that makes it clear that not all of its many actors were always in the same room at the same time and that they had to struggle a little bit to make a coherent sequence of events sometimes.

That being said, I could watch the movie ten times and wouldn't have ever noticed that thing with Flash that y'all just mentioned if y'all hadn't mentioned it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shang-Chi has very rough CGI, particularly during the opening scene in ancient China where the background mountains look like something from a Windows 95 screensaver

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think that the issues with Marvel movies are blown out of proportion on the grounds of how big the brand's become

Which is fair to some degree, but at the same time when you're constantly going "LOOK HOW AWFUL THIS IS" but comparing it primarily to the best-in-class poo poo, it feels like not quite the biting criticism that people want it to be. Oh, the action isn't as good as in the Raid? No poo poo??

Also that thing Skarsgard said about it being an issue with the business (and a microcosm of bigger societal-grade stuff) rather than a Marvel Studios problem

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

At the same time, there's still definitely flaws in the production pipeline. This is hearsay but I heard that part of the reason that the climax of Black Panther looks so bad is because they likely moved people from the effects team to prioritize Infinity War, which is a shame if it's true.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Arist posted:

At the same time, there's still definitely flaws in the production pipeline. This is hearsay but I heard that part of the reason that the climax of Black Panther looks so bad is because they likely moved people from the effects team to prioritize Infinity War, which is a shame if it's true.

The most recent thing I read about the final battle of Black Panther is that it was entirely re-done late.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Doesn't really explain why the Korea car chase looks kinda sketchy too, but that's also plausible.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BrianWilly posted:

No Way Home definitely has a certain vibe, through the way that scenes and dialogue were executed, that makes it clear that not all of its many actors were always in the same room at the same time and that they had to struggle a little bit to make a coherent sequence of events sometimes.

That being said, I could watch the movie ten times and wouldn't have ever noticed that thing with Flash that y'all just mentioned if y'all hadn't mentioned it.

One that got me was i saw that the Infinity Gauntlet clips through itself when Thanos closes his fist, I can't unsee it. But until it was pointed out in a video about small mistakes i watched, i'd have never noticed it.

You watched it, you can't UN watch it!

OnimaruXLR posted:

I think that the issues with Marvel movies are blown out of proportion on the grounds of how big the brand's become

Which is fair to some degree, but at the same time when you're constantly going "LOOK HOW AWFUL THIS IS" but comparing it primarily to the best-in-class poo poo, it feels like not quite the biting criticism that people want it to be. Oh, the action isn't as good as in the Raid? No poo poo??

Seconded. Compairing a Marvel film with a Kubrick or Kurosawa is just silly. Oh look this Honda Civic isn't as good as a Mclaren, no poo poo you fuckman. Though its really funny when people post the flash on the phone image next to a shot of Batman from The Batman, do they think they got Robert Patterson and Zoe Kravitz to stand like that on an actual half built skyscraper at dawn? No thats a cgi set too. These are people who think Herzog going insane moving an actual boat during Fritzcarlo is how real filmmakers do things. When in reality most have to work within a budget and a deadline so they have to do things as cheap and easily as they can. If David Fincher had the access to the CGI effects of today during Alien 3 he may not have had the trouble he had on the production.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

twistedmentat posted:

If David Fincher had the access to the CGI effects of today during Alien 3 he may not have had the trouble he had on the production.

Considering that they were working off several different scripts that were being written as they were filming I don't think any amount of CGI would have saved Alien 3

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Madkal posted:

Considering that they were working off several different scripts that were being written as they were filming I don't think any amount of CGI would have saved Alien 3

Its just an example i pulled out of my rear end, but having things switch around is a lot easier if you don't have to build that much of a set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

twistedmentat posted:

One that got me was i saw that the Infinity Gauntlet clips through itself when Thanos closes his fist, I can't unsee it. But until it was pointed out in a video about small mistakes i watched, i'd have never noticed it.

You watched it, you can't UN watch it!

Dude has control over space and reality, he can clip poo poo if he wants.