Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Funny how the Lord of Blood isn’t even immune to Bleed. You’d think if anyone would be.

He's the Lord of Blood, he has even more blood than your usual Lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

JBP posted:

He's the Lord of Blood, he has even more blood than your usual Lord.

:hmmyes:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I put together some lore stuff about the nightfolk race in elden ring (one of the player races you can pick at the start)

- their description says that 'long ago they bled silver'
- they're called nightfolk
- in nokstella and nokron you run into mimic tears, which turn into naked nightfolk npcs and bleed silver blood
- the mimic tear summon ashes talks about the mimics being an attempt to produce an artificial elden lord

so heres my speculation:
- the nightfolk are the descendents of mimic tears
- if the player makes their character a nightfolk and then beats the game and becomes elden lord, then it will mean the mimic tear project was ultimately a success

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ive been running a Str/fth build but heavier into STR. 40vit/40str/16fth and I'm pretty much just a glorified STR build

I'm trying to decide if I just commit more into STR and find a good weapon (greatsword?) Or respec into an arcane or bleed build.

Any thoughts or recommendations on how things look after this latest patch? I've just picked up the Dark Moon Greatsword to put my game progress into perspective.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The Blasphemous Sword can pretty much carry you all the way to the endgame. It's what I used as mostly-STR-somewhat-FTH alongside the Starscourge Greatsword (that's INT, though). Even after nerfs (if it even got nerfed at all?) it's very good.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Leyndell questline question: How do you solve the Radagon statue thing? I read the From message and assumed it meant Law of Regression, then spoiled myself on it because it sounded like a pain to prep if I was wrong. Threw on a bunch of stuff so I'd get to enough Int to cast it including chugging a Wondrous Physic with Int-Knot Tear on right before casting. After drinking it, the spell became castable, so I cast it and the animation played and all...and nothing happens. Also I can't cast it again until I go back to the bonfire because the spell dispels the Tear effect which is extra annoying. So I ported back and tried again, still nada. There's even one of those 'motes of light' effects on the statue that makes it look like it's dispelling, but then it just...doesn't. Tried casting right at the statue, and back where the sign is placed.

What's the deal?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

Leyndell questline question: How do you solve the Radagon statue thing? I read the From message and assumed it meant Law of Regression, then spoiled myself on it because it sounded like a pain to prep if I was wrong. Threw on a bunch of stuff so I'd get to enough Int to cast it including chugging a Wondrous Physic with Int-Knot Tear on right before casting. After drinking it, the spell became castable, so I cast it and the animation played and all...and nothing happens. Also I can't cast it again until I go back to the bonfire because the spell dispels the Tear effect which is extra annoying. So I ported back and tried again, still nada. There's even one of those 'motes of light' effects on the statue that makes it look like it's dispelling, but then it just...doesn't. Tried casting right at the statue, and back where the sign is placed.

What's the deal?

Do it on top of the message then read the message again

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The Blasphemous Sword can pretty much carry you all the way to the endgame. It's what I used as mostly-STR-somewhat-FTH alongside the Starscourge Greatsword (that's INT, though). Even after nerfs (if it even got nerfed at all?) it's very good.

It's been on my list to try. If I stick STR FTH I need to figure out how to really take advantage of the FTH side. I've been barely using it. What should my stat balance look like/what are so must have miracles. So far I've just been using Dragon Rot and maybe enchanting my weapons.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Kild posted:

Do it on top of the message then read the message again

Is that all? The spoiler stuff I saw said it's supposed to disappear and stuff, unless it's a different statue for some reason?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tumble posted:

Me either. I just end up hoarding them now because the multiplayer matchmaking is so blech and unreliable. Plus the only time I'd really need them is bosses and I mostly die at bosses so it'd just be a waste... in my dumb brain that's the logic at least.

Okay, I've finally got a handle on the boss mechanics. Let me crack a rune and I think I got it

*takes half a step further into the arena than I typically do, I guess, and cause the boss to do a completely different sequence of abilities and I die*

Needing to pop a consumable to gain the benefit of the rune you've got equipped is really stupid in a game where it's so drat easy to die, honestly.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

Actually scratch that, is there anything worthwhile in Consecrated Snowfields? If so, where? Every enemy in this zone sucks poo poo and I want to be done with it as soon as possible.

Theres an interactive map on fextralife that shows you almost exactly where almost every single thing of interest is.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there a good do-everything staff or do I need to swap them depending on the occasion

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Steve Yun posted:

Is there a good do-everything staff or do I need to swap them depending on the occasion

The boosts are nice but whatever has the highest sorcery rating is what you want. So basically meteor for 3/4s of the game then Carian Royal for great power (boost to moon magic also great imo) or Lusat's if you want to spend more FP for more power. I preferred carian royal but with the rework of FP cost and sorcery power Lusat's might be rad.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Insurrectionist posted:

Is that all? The spoiler stuff I saw said it's supposed to disappear and stuff, unless it's a different statue for some reason?

It's just a small animation at the statue and then the message changes

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Real Cool Catfish posted:

For the bottom route I used the power of NARROW SPACES on the 5? royal revenants down there. If you start at the far end by the imp statue door, you can use that for the nearest two. The rest there’s a narrow point about halfway through the area that you can move across as they teleport and fail to get you. I do this without shame.

The room of crystilians can be aggroed and fought one at a time if you hit one then back out the door.

Also what you’ve called the top route is actually sort of the midroute I think? There’s a higher route which puts you on the overlooking balcony behind some of the ballista, above the other ballista/evil tree/two tough knights. A lot easier to take down when they can’t reach you. No real tough enemies you need to fight to get there.

speaking of this place, there's an item in the rafters of the crystalline trio room. Were you able to figure out how to get it?

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

hazardousmouse posted:

speaking of this place, there's an item in the rafters of the crystalline trio room. Were you able to figure out how to get it?

Oh god drat I hadn’t even noticed that. Time for another round of killing revenants and crystalians. Will see what I can find.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

JBP posted:

The boosts are nice but whatever has the highest sorcery rating is what you want. So basically meteor for 3/4s of the game then Carian Royal for great power (boost to moon magic also great imo) or Lusat's if you want to spend more FP for more power. I preferred carian royal but with the rework of FP cost and sorcery power Lusat's might be rad.

Is Carian Royal worth using as soon as I have the INT to use it? Or am I going to get to a point where the gravity magic stops being effective and I'm going to want to switch?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Judge Tesla posted:

It's very close to Alfred's speech after he kills the Queen in Cainhurst Castle in Bloodborne.

FROM, Elden Ring sold 12 million+ copies, forge the money into a gun and force Sony to allow a Bloodborne PC port you cowards :argh:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Blasphemous blade owns. I mostly use faith for damage scaling and self buffs. (The best ones have pretty high requirements but do not have scaling). The high level buffs also buff your spirits which owns.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

It's just a small animation at the statue and then the message changes

Guess my google found bad spoilers then, all is good

Also just did Forsaken Catacomb drop-down area and it killed me way more time than any boss since Radahn (I did both Tree Sentinel and Margit as a naked Wretch with a club so those still killed me more than any bosses lol), gently caress that place

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

McCoy Pauley posted:

Is Carian Royal worth using as soon as I have the INT to use it? Or am I going to get to a point where the gravity magic stops being effective and I'm going to want to switch?

It mainly depends on the sorcery stat. The carian regal (I've burned royal into my brain somehow) won't catch up to the meteorite staff until +7 from memory. The meteorite staff for pure sorcery scaling doesn't have a competitor until you're getting high end sombre stones, it's just exceptionally good. I chanced into it in my blind run thanks to that teleporter lol.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah i finally swapped over to the carian scepter at around +8 with 68 int, before that the meteor staff was more than enough.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
So after realising that Godskin Noble resists strike and holy, making my sacred morning star a no-go, I looked for slash/bleed in my inventory and decided to go with the Bloodhound Fang. Hadn't tried it until now and wow, is the weapon art (Bloodhound Finesse) wonderful. Big sweeping strike and immediate evasive jump backward. Wonder if it's available as an Ash of War.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

FishMcCool posted:

So after realising that Godskin Noble resists strike and holy, making my sacred morning star a no-go, I looked for slash/bleed in my inventory and decided to go with the Bloodhound Fang. Hadn't tried it until now and wow, is the weapon art (Bloodhound Finesse) wonderful. Big sweeping strike and immediate evasive jump backward. Wonder if it's available as an Ash of War.

you can hit r2 after that back dash to do a huge forward teleport slam as well

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FishMcCool posted:

It is not an ash of war, no. It’s unique to Bloodhound’s Fang.

And yeah, make sure you hit R2 after the backwards jump, there’s even more damage on the second hit.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
how the gently caress does this cattail talisman work. I get that it can't make me immune to fall damage when the fall is so far that the game calculates that I'm dead before I even hit the ground but I just jumped off rannis tower which seemed reasonable, and I made it all the way to the ground, and then I went splat. Am I missing something?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I took the academy chasm maiden transportation to the lava Manor and had my gang of nobles bully the poo poo out of one of the two in the fight, somehow it did no damage to them and they got it down to half.

They're not exactly difficult but I mostly expected them to get murdered by the spin, instead of what I can only call stun locking

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

how the gently caress does this cattail talisman work. I get that it can't make me immune to fall damage when the fall is so far that the game calculates that I'm dead before I even hit the ground but I just jumped off rannis tower which seemed reasonable, and I made it all the way to the ground, and then I went splat. Am I missing something?

That talisman is garbage precisely because falls will either kill you or do no damage, and it doesn't make unsurvivable falls survivable

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FishMcCool posted:

Unfortunately not, otherwise it'd go on my nagakiba and and never leave.
Don't forget to hit R2 once the jump finishes.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Malenia is where I might say "whatever" and just quit. The last 10-15 hours of elden ring felt like they just decided to overtune difficulty up to gently caress in the end game and called it a day. Maybe it's because of the way bosses are designed here (around summons) or maybe it's just souls fatigue, but for some reason I'm not getting the kind of satisfaction I got when I beat hard bosses in Sekiro, Bloodborne, etc.

It doesn't make sense for her to heal so much even when hitting a shield. I'm at the point where I can reliably dodge 90% of her stuff in the first and second phase but I'm carrying a shield for the times I misjudge timings/spacing; even when she's safe to hit her recovery times are so bonkers that most weapons are too slow to use. I'm aware of the strategies to cheese her, but if I have to respec into some poo poo meme build to beat a late game important boss then I might as well play something else because ER has turned to poo poo. Their world building may be second to none but oh boy ER is several steps back in boss design from Sekiro or even Bloodborne. Orphan of Kos, Gehrman, Lady Maria, the Owl, Isshin poo poo on most if not all bosses I found here so far.

After the mimic nerf I'm fighting her without a summon and I can reliably get to second phase but it kinda looks like she just doesn't have enough downtime to reliably beat solo. She's the quintessential ER boss: barely gives you time to hit her, has a bazillion hp, hits like a truck from two screens away with long rear end combos that even when perfectly dodged drain all your stamina, etc etc. I'm SL 110 with a +25 weapon so I shouldn't be underequipped for this. I refuse to overlevel a bunch to beat her because it would feel like cheating; if it's required here and the only way to beat her without having a terrible time is to meme/win by bigger numbers then I guess I'll play something else, I already got about 100 hours of fun from this.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

falls don't really kill you via damage (unless you're already hurt); any fall over a certain height just straight up kills you and no item or ability in the game changes that threshold

and the way the fall damage "curve" works you go from like 50% hp to dead over a millimeter difference in fall height

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 19, 2022

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Lore spoilers:

I'm confused as to what Marika's motivations were for breaking the Elden Ring. I understand maybe the impulse was to break the order of things, but then it seems kinda petulant to plunge the rest of the kingdom into an eternal, deathless war. Plus her offing Godwyn. Did she wanna kill all her kids and only got the Baldur one? Plus the dual identity as Radagon just seems like window dressing. It doesn't seem to add anything to the story, identity of the black knife assassins being the same race notwithstanding.

By contrast, consider Gwyn. By the end of Dark Souls I it was pretty clear that he hated the Dark, and wanted to keep the Age of Fire going by any means necessary.

I'm curious as to how they write these stories. Do they just write a complete backstory and then rip pages out of the book? Or is it just a vague outline to begin with?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kawabata posted:

After the mimic nerf I'm fighting her without a summon and I can reliably get to second phase but it kinda looks like she just doesn't have enough downtime to reliably beat solo. She's the quintessential ER boss: barely gives you time to hit her,
jsyk every time she ends an attack string in a downwards attack, followed by a pulse of energy(very frequent in phase 2), you can roll thru the pulse towards her and punish with an r1(or L1 with many paired weapon types)

also if you're backing up properly, her sweeping kick attacks will just miss and can also be punished

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Well, that didn't happen on my first game. Started up the Millicent quest, but before going to fight Neil in the swamp I went all the way up to where Millicent is to do the other bit with finding the spell for Sellen. Jump back to the swamp, go to Neil's location. I am attacked by Millicent doing an invasion. Kill her, go back to Millicent in the church. Still there and now Neil won't appear as a boss

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Aurubin posted:

Lore spoilers:

I'm confused as to what Marika's motivations were for breaking the Elden Ring. I understand maybe the impulse was to break the order of things, but then it seems kinda petulant to plunge the rest of the kingdom into an eternal, deathless war. Plus her offing Godwyn. Did she wanna kill all her kids and only got the Baldur one? Plus the dual identity as Radagon just seems like window dressing. It doesn't seem to add anything to the story, identity of the black knife assassins being the same race notwithstanding.

By contrast, consider Gwyn. By the end of Dark Souls I it was pretty clear that he hated the Dark, and wanted to keep the Age of Fire going by any means necessary.

I'm curious as to how they write these stories. Do they just write a complete backstory and then rip pages out of the book? Or is it just a vague outline to begin with?

i think marika's motivations were deliberately left obscure. if you look back through all the history of her reign offered by melina, there doesn't seem to be a single point where the greater will somehow offended her or went over her head. the closest is probably godfrey's abrupt Tarnishing, but i don't know if that could be an inciting incident. but if you view all of her actions through the lens of toppling the Greater Will, then she essentially turned the Lands Between into a crucible of violence that could eventually produce someone capable of killing a god - marrying herself (ensuring the lands would be leaderless in her absence), commanding her children to strive and war among each other, and arranging godwyn's death to demonstrate that even the gods were mortal. by the time she finally brought the hammer down, the Greater Will couldn't do anything besides stop marika herself, and regardless of whether the tree was sealed up by her or the GW, it ensured that no one could enter it without burning the erdtree and producing a new age

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Haven't followed this thread (I am hyper sensitive to game spoils) but I just had to peak in and say that the Golden Halbred from the Tree Sentinel destrooooooys poo poo. +4 and I can't find a replacement for it. STR 32 FAITH 20, and it's damage still climbs 2 points between each seemingly when it already smashes easily.

I'm only 40 some hours in but so far this weapon seems like a game winner if you can manage the stats.

Very Fromlike that it's obtainable in the first 10 minutes of the game but only if you can manage to kill the Tree Sentinel who is a beast.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Response to Aurabin Marika seems to have decided she no longer wants to act as the Greater Will demands. The Radagon thing adds the detail that Marika married herself to solidify power, and Radagon could act in ways that Marika herself would not do (like for example, when she shatters the ring he tries to rebuild it because he has a difference of opinion to Marika, as they’re the same person but different divine personalities).

Killing Godwyn gives her a cover story, and ensures her various children won’t have someone to rally behind to become the new Elden Lord. The endless deathless war is the point, it’s her form of rebellion against the order of the Greater Will.

As for how they write the story, Elden Ring in particular was done in two parts, GRRM was brought in to write the characters and setting backstory/detail, all the relationships between the demigods were his writing. The From Soft team then used those details to write out the plot of the game.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Does anyone know if Seppuku is affected by the Talisman that buffs skill damage by 15%?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kawabata posted:

Malenia is where I might say "whatever" and just quit. The last 10-15 hours of elden ring felt like they just decided to overtune difficulty up to gently caress in the end game and called it a day. Maybe it's because of the way bosses are designed here (around summons) or maybe it's just souls fatigue, but for some reason I'm not getting the kind of satisfaction I got when I beat hard bosses in Sekiro, Bloodborne, etc.

It doesn't make sense for her to heal so much even when hitting a shield. I'm at the point where I can reliably dodge 90% of her stuff in the first and second phase but I'm carrying a shield for the times I misjudge timings/spacing; even when she's safe to hit her recovery times are so bonkers that most weapons are too slow to use. I'm aware of the strategies to cheese her, but if I have to respec into some poo poo meme build to beat a late game important boss then I might as well play something else because ER has turned to poo poo. Their world building may be second to none but oh boy ER is several steps back in boss design from Sekiro or even Bloodborne. Orphan of Kos, Gehrman, Lady Maria, the Owl, Isshin poo poo on most if not all bosses I found here so far.

After the mimic nerf I'm fighting her without a summon and I can reliably get to second phase but it kinda looks like she just doesn't have enough downtime to reliably beat solo. She's the quintessential ER boss: barely gives you time to hit her, has a bazillion hp, hits like a truck from two screens away with long rear end combos that even when perfectly dodged drain all your stamina, etc etc. I'm SL 110 with a +25 weapon so I shouldn't be underequipped for this. I refuse to overlevel a bunch to beat her because it would feel like cheating; if it's required here and the only way to beat her without having a terrible time is to meme/win by bigger numbers then I guess I'll play something else, I already got about 100 hours of fun from this.

The mimic 'nerf' might actually be more useful in that fight because they dodge more now

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Aurubin posted:

Lore spoilers:

I understand maybe the impulse was to break the order of things, but then it seems kinda petulant to plunge the rest of the kingdom

Nobility.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Managed to get pizza cutter to +10 and pump up my STR, eight the jumping attack talisman this thing owns.