Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

So here's something that might be of interest to anybody that grew up on Nintendo Power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njJxIds8aoQ

Video Game History Foundation did a reunion of the original staff, including Gail Tilden and Howard Philips. Lots of fun details in here, like how the Princess Toadstool -> Peach transition happened, the cover artist for NP that refused to play videogames, and the story of the Dragon Warrior distribution. It's a fun watch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Nintendo stays winning

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

You really don’t see how taking “your favorite Nintendo characters in a fighting game” and turning it into “every character from every video game ever, including 9 interchangeable anime sword guys who literally NO ONE thinks about when think of Nintendo” could alienate the people who really liked the novelty of the first idea?

Bust Rodd

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

fire emblem owns and all of the sword animes own. you're a moron and should stop posting in this thread or any thread

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

more like dire emblem

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
FE: Three houses is kinda weak in the strategy section imo hope they step up the map design and tactical options next game. Triangle Strategy is real good and is more like what I’m looking for

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Played like 3 hours of Mario Kart with the homies tonight. One of the best games ever made.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I played the first level of 3d Kirby. I did not want to play any longer.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

You really don’t see how taking “your favorite Nintendo characters in a fighting game” and turning it into “every character from every video game ever, including 9 interchangeable anime sword guys who literally NO ONE thinks about when think of Nintendo” could alienate the people who really liked the novelty of the first idea?

when i think of nintendo i think of fire emblem

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I remember having some fun time coming up with metaphors explaining the casts of Smash Bros and FighterZ. Just be glad that Dragon Ball games don't also include Candy Ball Gogeta. (or maybe sad, depending)

The Dragon Ball example I likened more to if WWE games let you play as wrestlers from different stages of their careers, under the different names and gimmicks, which I don't think you usually get because WWE has a policy of never acknowledging the past. (Probably because it's full of cocaine, sex crimes, tragedy and cocaine-fuelled sex crime tragedies)

But yeah, the reason why there's at least two of so many characters in MK8DX is basically for weight class reasons; if you like Mario but want to play a more heavyweight character, you got Metal Mario right there, or go more lightweight with Raccoon or Baby Mario. That said, I do get the feeling Nintendo thinks people like the babies for some reason. It's like the 90s and 00s where everything had to have a spinoff where they're babies.

Mind you, I'm the one who mains Pink Gold Peach.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like that there's no permadeath in triangle strategy and the game is balanced towards that.

You can turn it off in fire emblem but the game stays balanced towards permadeath. It feels like not losing one guy is the actual win condition instead of whatever the real win condition is. In triangle strategy since it is expected for you to have characters die, it will happen, you get used to it, incorporate it into your strategy, and can really feel like you are barely eking out a victory.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I like that there's no permadeath in triangle strategy and the game is balanced towards that.

You can turn it off in fire emblem but the game stays balanced towards permadeath. It feels like not losing one guy is the actual win condition instead of whatever the real win condition is. In triangle strategy since it is expected for you to have characters die, it will happen, you get used to it, incorporate it into your strategy, and can really feel like you are barely eking out a victory.

I really really want to get this game... I'm putting in all the time I can to wrap up SOMETHING, but drat if I don't have two juggernauts between Disco Elysium and FFX. And I'm feeling the real call to sell Skyward Sword to get Forgotten Land physical at launch (digital IS tempting though...). Between the town building and the upgraded powers the game feels like it can really be a nice little treat.

I'm only at the end of D2 of DE and am so many hours in. I imagine it keeps going for at least one in-game week if not more. And FFX's going to grab me once I get Free travel for sure. I'm even half-considering the stupid lightning mini-game atm that's how much I enjoy the game on the whole.

What an amazing system.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The best mario kart characters were rob and dry bones

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

The best mario kart characters were rob and dry bones

dry bones main 4 [un]life

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
At some point in MK64's development they decided not to have Kamek as a racer, and the perfect karts roster has eluded them ever since. The fools...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mandatory lesbian posted:

The best mario kart characters were Inkling Girl and dry bones

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Remember in NSMB when Mario literally killed Bowser in World 1 and Bowser Jr. used magic to bring his father back to life as Dry Bowser?

I can't believe Bowser is loving dead.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Zelda Kart will do for horse racing games what Mario Kart did for go-kart racing games (usurping Barbie's throne)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Mega64 posted:

Remember in NSMB when Mario literally killed Bowser in World 1 and Bowser Jr. used magic to bring his father back to life as Dry Bowser?

dry bowser is a completely different character and races cars and participated in the olympics with the living bowser

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
There are actually two bowsers, that was bigger bowser who died

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Wait, is Dry Bowser the father of Bowser?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Mega64 posted:

Wait, is Dry Bowser the father of Bowser?

Morton Koopa Sr.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Yes, but then in the final battle of said game Bowser Jr tossed his dad’s corpse into a magic pot and fully reanimated him complete with flesh

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 19, 2022

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

xedo posted:

So here's something that might be of interest to anybody that grew up on Nintendo Power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njJxIds8aoQ

Video Game History Foundation did a reunion of the original staff, including Gail Tilden and Howard Philips. Lots of fun details in here, like how the Princess Toadstool -> Peach transition happened, the cover artist for NP that refused to play videogames, and the story of the Dragon Warrior distribution. It's a fun watch!

Getting overwhelming nostalgia from those magazine covers shown on the side

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I remember saving up my allowance for a couple weeks and eventually mailing in clippings from Nintendo Power and they mailed me a shiny and beautiful strategy guide for Super Mario RPG: Lot7S and it was the most treasured volume of forbidden lore that I possessed for years. I would have never found half those secrets in a million years. Stuff like “after you kill the 5th world boss, go back to the first village and check this specific house plant, which now contains an invisible item that makes you immune to poison!”

what?

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

hatty posted:

FE: Three houses is kinda weak in the strategy section imo hope they step up the map design and tactical options next game. Triangle Strategy is real good and is more like what I’m looking for

Finally the correct opinion on 3 houses. The monastery stuff also sucks and is completely pointless halfway through the game.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Waltzing Along posted:

I played the first level of 3d Kirby. I did not want to play any longer.

Want to keep yourself spoiler free for the full release so you can enjoy how amazing and perfect it is in one go, huh? I can understand that, it is the GOTY 2022 after all.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

dr.acula posted:

Getting overwhelming nostalgia from those magazine covers shown on the side

The Ninja Gaiden issue was my first. I've still got it in the basement too. I think it was like the fourth or fifth overall issue too?

We subscribed to NP for years and years, from first grade until my younger brother graduated from high school. Dang I can't wait to watch that.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Mega64 posted:

I'm glad i'm not the only one who was a bit disturbed by that.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Beat 7/8 of the 150cc staff ghosts last night. This ninja track is wild, I have no clue how to parse a good line and my best attempt last night was like, 4 seconds slow.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Bowser can touch an extra life just like Mario can. He probably has 100s by now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

3D Kirby does strike me as the early levels inevitably gonna be even more baby mode than most Kirby games since it's 3D.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Some games literally ARE for babies, that’s ok! Capt’ Toad’s Treasure Tracker is a fun and cute little toy, but it inarguably balanced so that 6 year olds can solve the puzzles. Expecting “Kirby: Deedeedee May Cry” from a Kirby game is just gonna serve up disappointment

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Detective Dee(Deedee) needs to happen

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

3D Kirby does strike me as the early levels inevitably gonna be even more baby mode than most Kirby games since it's 3D.

Yeah it owns

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Seems like a good game to play once I beat Elden Ring

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Elden Ring Fit Adventures in Babysitting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

Some games literally ARE for babies, that’s ok! Capt’ Toad’s Treasure Tracker is a fun and cute little toy, but it inarguably balanced so that 6 year olds can solve the puzzles. Expecting “Kirby: Deedeedee May Cry” from a Kirby game is just gonna serve up disappointment

Until you get to the boss rush, that is. Also figure out the lore.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If I know anything about the average player in any video game they will always go for the highest dps build they hear is "good", even if something more survivable would be much more effective for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The deep lore of Captain Toad is really what kept me playing