Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Caesar Saladin posted:

have fun hunching over a computer keyboard like an office worker, I'll be kicking my feet up and chillaxing like you should be when you play video games

Clicking heads all day feels silly but using a controller for a FPS feels worse. It makes sense for piloting but IRL putting a weapon on target at short ranges feels instant. You look, gun snaps to sightline, you fire. With a controller you steer, overcorrect, raise cursor to head and all that feels weird like your character is joysticking a robot arm instead using their own hands. Mechwarrior etc makes sense. But until my crosshair is eye-tracking I’ll be stuck with FPS mouse because it feels really weird to be staring at a target for half a second while my cursor flops around steering toward it. Auto-aim feels a lot more natural and can work, it knows what I’m looking at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I still vote controller because pulling a trigger with rumble feels much better than clicking a mouse

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I always turn off the rumble in games. My hands need no vibrator.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

have fun hunching over a computer keyboard like an office worker, I'll be kicking my feet up and chillaxing like you should be when you play video games
footrest under the desk :smugdog:

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Using rumble with a keyboard and mouse is easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxmLD8y0RNQ

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

adhuin posted:

I double the rumble in games to offset you

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

KB/mouse and gamepad are both good for some things and it's cool to use both or to switch between them :twisted:

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
True god tier setup is headtracking with controller for fps games.

::points at head meme::

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
PC will always have superior haptic feedback

https://twitter.com/ShitpostGate/status/1491948952895250435

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

adhuin posted:

weird because i rest the pad on my balls for extra rumbling fun

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I use the steam controller so I can play no games great.

But steam link rules hard and is the best slept on tech in PC gaming.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

poverty goat posted:

KB/mouse and gamepad are both good for some things and it's cool to use both or to switch between them :twisted:

It's this, "I feel like an office worker if I use a mouse to play a video game" is a bizarre take that the same poster keeps bringing up but I think most PC gamers switch between each

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Played elden ring all day today. Still the greatest game ever made

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
im on the final boss now w/ ~160 hours, it's definitely the most impressive action rpg ever built by man.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcSvECRK2h0

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

fridge corn posted:

Still the greatest game ever made

no it isn't

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Trollologist posted:

I use the steam controller so I can play no games great.

But steam link rules hard and is the best slept on tech in PC gaming.

Getting two for $5 each when Valve was selling off their stock was an incredible deal, just a solid device all around imo

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Played elden ring all day today. Still the greatest game ever made

The Protagonist posted:

it's definitely the most impressive action rpg ever built by man.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Elden Ring is the greatest game

called Elden Ring that came out in February of 2022

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Lol @ people getting immeasurably butthurt because of criticisms of yet another Fromsoft game, it's like you just found out that the shattered ring was inside you all along.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
What can I tell you it's a great game.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Vic posted:

What can I tell you it's a great game.

Listen, we are past talking about Morrowind.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Elden Ring is great and the best game in years but it's not perfect. It has some flaws that annoy me. the biggest is that it follows the DS3 style of being fast like Bloodborne and Sekiro without changing the way the players move like Bloodborne and Sekiro. If you want the bosses to flail around like they're having a seizure then you need to let the player act likewise. When I beat a boss in 1,2,BB,and Seki I felt like it was because I had got gud. In 3 and Ring many times I feel like I just brought enough items/summons to win the fight for me. This relates to how armor can't be upgraded and despite people complaining about their frail caster build, even a full physical build in heavy armor and pumped VIT will still lose 70%+ of their HP from a single attack, further encouraging just turtling while the boss has their little panic attack. It's not as bad as in 3 though because 3 was filled to the brim with unused Bloodborne assets that just plain didn't work in Dark Souls, while in Ring everything is at least built for it. I also don't like how Pyromancy has been fully folded into miracles and lost its whole gimmick. Pyromancy was cool because it worked completely different from the other magic types and had the gimmick of you spending your souls on your flame instead of a stat. Now that I think about it these are all criticisms strait from DS3, so really that game is dragging Elden Ring down. Don't get me wrong though, the game is still worth the full price tag and is much better than 3.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
upgradeable armor sucks rear end and shouldn't exist

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

the elden scrolls: morrowring

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
every video game is call of duty

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

pyromancy in 1 was funny and broken for sure, but in 3 it was rolled into being stat based also

i figure it got thrown out as a distinct class of magic in favor of two broad schools with lots and lots of subclasses within each

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
pyromancy was stat based as soon as dark souls 2
the "only depends on your pyro flame upgrades" thing was pretty cool theoretically for a single player rpg but it was hell with the multiplayer mechanics because it meant you could make a level 1 pvp twink and oneshot everyone with endgame level pyromancy damage

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I absolutely think that nothing in the Souls Series should be designed or balanced with PVP in mind, it should be a complete afterthought and mild distraction. The PVP combat is too laggy and goofy to actually take it seriously, play a fighting game instead if you wanna get serious about it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm glad that fromsoft fanboys are happy. I just wish they had good taste.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Breetai posted:

Lol @ people getting immeasurably butthurt because of criticisms of yet another Fromsoft game, it's like you just found out that the shattered ring was inside you all along.

It's the opposite, literally no one cares that you don't like Elden Ring. The only people who care about whether or not anyone else likes the game are the same people shouting about how much they don't like the game.

And I think that's a good thing, this is the quarantine zone for bad video game opinions. Those posters who hate Elden Ring belong here and deserve this safe space.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

upgradeable armor sucks rear end and shouldn't exist

But you’ve got to design the game with that in mind though. Bloodborne didn’t have armor upgrades (and the armor is little more than cosmetics) but it worked because the game is designed from the ground up as “Every possible build still gets to be a fast roll Ninja-Flip Ring DEX-build with an infinite range parry: The Game”.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

All who dislike bad video games like Elden Ring are welcome at this table

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't know we were still using bad in the jacksonian way but yeah I like games that are "Bad"

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think people wouldn't care so much if the elden ring lovers learned to put "i think or in my opinion" before their bad opinions about elden ring.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People who aren't braindead are able to make the startling leap that opinions might be posted in the thread about posting opinions

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

teardrop posted:

Clicking heads all day feels silly but using a controller for a FPS feels worse. It makes sense for piloting but IRL putting a weapon on target at short ranges feels instant. You look, gun snaps to sightline, you fire. With a controller you steer, overcorrect, raise cursor to head and all that feels weird like your character is joysticking a robot arm instead using their own hands. Mechwarrior etc makes sense. But until my crosshair is eye-tracking I’ll be stuck with FPS mouse because it feels really weird to be staring at a target for half a second while my cursor flops around steering toward it. Auto-aim feels a lot more natural and can work, it knows what I’m looking at.

Motion controls are getting to the point of being actually decent, which is fun. I usually can’t stand motion aiming but the implementation in Horizon Forbidden West is excellent.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

I think people wouldn't care so much if the elden ring lovers learned to put "i think or in my opinion" before their bad opinions about elden ring.

if you make a subjective statement about something then its obviously an opinion, there's no such thing as an objectively bad video game or movie or whatever, its all obviously opinion

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 20, 2022

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

I would do that but all of my posts are objective truths :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Caesar Saladin posted:

there's no such thing as an objectively bad video game

I dunno man there are some universal turkeys out there

Custer's Revenge comes to mind