Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Also, if you want to jump from Lancer, Beam Saber exists. It’s pretty alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Also, if you want to jump from Lancer, Beam Saber exists. It’s pretty alright.

I dangled Scum & Villainy in front of them if they wanted space stuff as an option (a few players and myself in the game played in a WEG Star Wars game during COVID, so I think we might just all be spaced-out). I ran a fair bit of Lancer stuff from the playtest for their first published campaign and while I am a Beam Saber backer, I think I'm good on running pre-release content for a little while.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Tom Parkinson-Morgan (of Lancer and Kill 6 Billion Demons fame) just dropped the ICON playtest. It's Blades with very tactical combat, but outside of tactical combat, it's straight Blades.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Actually running Blades again has reminded me how much fun it is and how much I love the system. This week the Seedy Acquisition Group was tasked by their patron, Fitz (who is a bit of an eccentric collector of oddities and curiosities), to steal a personal-sized electroplasmic generator that was being sold by a vendor in Nightmarket associated with the Dimmer Sisters -- Fitz didn't want to be seen buying used equipment when there was a crew he could have take care of it. The crew went down to Nightmarket before Market Day to scope out the scene and were yelled at by another vendor for snooping around, which caused them to believe they were made and had to come up with a different plan -- they were going to steal the device in transit to the market.

The score was seemingly over before it even started, they stopped the freight on a bridge and did a subtle swap without much incident after one of the crew, Callisto, has gone drinking with the porters the night before (who he knew because he previously worked as a porter before turning to the life of crime) and offered to help them with the load the next day. They were going to be very hungover, after all. They returned the device to Fitz, who begun to tell them that he wishes to rend his soul from his corporeal form and become immortal. The crew looked at him apprehensively and smiled and nodded as they got out of there as quickly as possible.

Now, here is where I think Blades really shines -- we rolled for the score's entanglement and got The Usual Suspect (The Bluecoats grab someone in the periphery of your crew. One player volunteers a friend or vice purveyor as the person most likely to be taken. Make a fortune roll to find out if they resist questioning) and our big punchy boy, Yanny, offered up his friend Grace, an extortionist, to be questioned by the Bluecoats. Grace sang to the Bluecoats -- told them everything she knew, everyone she knew and every possible connection she could come up with. This news gets back to the crew and well, let's just say they decided that Grace isn't anyone's friend any more. The resident knife/blade/violence lover, Callisto, decided he was going to take her out. He was going to kill Grace, as a blood sacrifice to what he believes is an Old God he met when he fell through a basement floor into the ancient ruins of an older Duskvol.

The session was running very quick to this point -- so we decided to get right into downtime before the night was over and again, Blades really shines here. I used this opportunity to seed a few rumors and intel to the crew (from the Duskvol News twitter (https://twitter.com/DoskvolNews) and based on other stuff that is narratively ongoing that seemed to be interesting points of conflict for them). They picked up info that The Brigade have put a price on The Dimmer Sisters heads, but appear to be starting fatal fires, capturing the spirits and selling them to The Dimmer Sisters as well. They also learned an Iruvian-captained Leviathan Hunter ship was docked in Duskvol, and that the Red Sashes, who are hurting from their war with the Lampblacks, are pulling together all of their resources for one final attack on the Lampblacks, and of course the Billhooks continue to not be happy with the Crew's continued aggressive expansion in The Docks.

SAG decided to go have a chat with Bazso Baz, leader of the Lampblacks, to see specifically how they could ingratiate themselves further with the Lampblacks because the crew really wants to go to war with the Billhooks, and already have a positive relationship with the Lampblacks. Baz wants Mylera Klev, head of the Red Sashes, gone. That is their plan going forward -- eliminate Mylera Klev to increase their standing with the Lampblacks and use that increased standing to have the Lampblacks as backup for the coming war with the Billhooks.

I can't wait to see how this goes sideways.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I ended up creating (and printing) a version of the Wicked Ones toolkit deck but for Scum & Villainy instead. I was so inspired by the concept of Adventurers I wrote up an S&V equivalent called "Experts".

I had quite a bit of back and forth between Ben, one of the Wicked One's creators. He was very helpful in setting this up with me. I also made sure to poke Stras and make sure he was ok with a Scum & Villainy supplement.

The card print came in a few days ago and they look so nice, I wanted to make sure it was formatted correctly before posting but here's my posting on DTRPG in case anyone is interested. I hope it helps inspire your games :)

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/366589/Scum--Villainy-Experts-and-Random-Inspiration-Cards

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Nice, always glad to see cross pollination of stuff that works between games.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Heresy, I know, but are there any published FitD adventures?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Think the closest you'd find would be Band of Blades' campaign.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

CitizenKeen posted:

Heresy, I know, but are there any published FitD adventures?

There are some prewritten heists:
https://acoupleofdrakes.itch.io/unnofficial-blades-in-the-dark-score-collection-1
https://acoupleofdrakes.itch.io/unofficial-blades-in-the-dark-score-collection-2-the-hour-of-silk

Also tons of spin offs. Some of them, like Band of Blades, are a mix of hack+adventure. Rebel Crown for example, has premade settings that you can use instead of generating your own.

Lots of interesting FitD stuff on itch.io. John Harper keeps this list updated:
https://itch.io/c/1712796/forged-in-the-dark-games

Here is another good one, lots of overlap with the above.
https://itch.io/c/597202/forged-in-the-dark-on-itchio

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
There's this, which is cool: https://mabelharper.itch.io/steelweavers-rebellion

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/john_harper/status/1432791792684920832

Well, that's unexpected.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So currently my main two games that I'm in are Band of Blades and me DMing Wicked Ones (the latter is basically Dungeon Keeper, but using the bitd system). First of all, this is the first taste that I've had of using clocks in the system and I really love it. I struggled with them at first but once I saw them in action in the BoB game they immediately clicked for me and I made good use of them in my own Wicked Ones game.

In terms of differences, I think I largely prefer the system within BoB: once you ratchet up the lethality of a mission, it really captures the essence of the game quite well, and the PCs will ratchet up a lot of stress to deal with the mission. As for Wicked Ones, the damage that you can do to the PCs feel a lot less permanent, and the recovery phase in that game really seems to set things back to normal. This seems intentional, since its' the dungeon itself that needs to get repaired and can have permanent damage, but I still like the character management system in BoB more.

Overall though I've enjoyed both systems now that I've begun to understand how the systems for them intertwine, and although I was a bit worried about the consequence system, once you get a handle on it you can really help propel the story forward, especially if you have interesting clocks happening that tie in with the story.

For example, in my last raid in Wicked Ones, I created one clock called "Reinforcements" that was basically how much time the PCs had to conduct the raid. Another clock was Defences, which represented both the morale and fighting forces of the current defenders of the place they were raiding. Finally, there was a clock called "Gate" which represented the gate of the palisade they were attacking becoming close. This allowed me to have the PCs make the decision of trying to wittle down the defenders themselves, or prevent the gate from closing, and the mechanical effect of the rolls was apparent to all.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tekopo posted:

In terms of differences, I think I largely prefer the system within BoB: once you ratchet up the lethality of a mission, it really captures the essence of the game quite well, and the PCs will ratchet up a lot of stress to deal with the mission.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Trip report!

My usual RPG group's GM couldn't make it this week, so instead of playing BITD we played Broken Spire. It's a very, very short hack (13 pages) on account of being still set in BITD and using all the same playbooks, moves, and action ratings (totally different crews). However instead of being a hardscrabble from the bottom gang of criminals, you're an extremely well established conspiracy to assassinate the emperor. The level of how established goes from "Lifetime" (least dedicated) to "Cataclysm era" (most dedicated). The idea is that you're coming in at the last second - there's three premade scenarios for the assassination itself, and we were doing a one shot so we just started there, though the rules cover situations if you want the crew to be somewhat further out from "we are going right at him today."

It was real good. The people I play with kind of don't mesh the best with BITD, we've had a great time but as players we pretty much always want to zoom past the bookkeeping/powerbuilding/inconveniences stuff and get to "ok is this a thing we WANT to do" moments. In base BITD this has meant that we've frequently done a complications roll and gone "that sounds boring, let's not" and treating the building up from the bottom stuff in BITD as basically a chore that we really didn't engage with very much. BS had us start out with +8 action dots and four trauma and half a dozen moves, with the whole thing having an unambiguous end of "this all comes down to one dice roll," which gelled a lot better with our style of going for high consequence, high drama decisions.

If nothing else, I highly recommend it as a one shot if you're already into base BITD because it's a very fun, very different way of using the setting.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

The Bandcamp guys who made Wicked Ones have a kickstarter for their new game Relic: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/banditcamp/relic

Apparently they're diverging enough from the blades formula here to leave FiTD behind I suppose, but in any case I'm pretty interested

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I was really impressed with Wicked. I felt like the GM advice is some of the best of the Forged games I've read. This is a tempting Kickstarter.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mythopoeia/cbr-pnk?ref=thanks-copy

CBR-PNK is an excellent minimalist Forged in the Dark game, and I am pumped to get a glossy physical edition.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

CitizenKeen posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mythopoeia/cbr-pnk?ref=thanks-copy

CBR-PNK is an excellent minimalist Forged in the Dark game, and I am pumped to get a glossy physical edition.

oh this looks really cool, and i'm very interested in a playbook-less FITD

(not to be clear that I think "playbooks were a mistake" - I think they're very good! - just curious to see how that affects the texture & design)

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Playbooks are simultaneously fantastic and entirely unnecessary to FitD.

(I also think that the detail allocated to playbooks is largely designed to ease people into the game rather than core to the system. Once you've played the game enough you realize that the only mechanics playbooks determine is your XP trigger and your unique equipment.)

admanb fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 14, 2022

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I also think there's something to be said for playbooks giving you a sense of balance. You don't need them, but I know that a Cutter or Spider has been played to death a million times and works well in cohesion with the rest of a gang. But we all know some moves are better than others. If a player wants to choose a Cutter move, a Spider move, a Whisper move, and a Hound move, as a GM, it's a sign I should look more closely at their character sheet and what they're trying to do.

Torches Upon Stars
Jan 17, 2015

The future is bright.
If your player chooses any move, you should pay attention. Treat move selections as flags indicating what the character wants to be doing more of in the fiction, or what of the already-established play they've decided they need to compensate for. Use that. If you think it's a weird-rear end signal, talk with your player about it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Hey Blades in The Dark Thread. I’m trying to start a game of this as a self-evaluated “competent, not amazing” GM. I’m playing with two players of mine who loved my previous Modern/cyberpunk 5E campaign. I’ve maybe hosted 4 campaigns in the past 5 years, 3 of which were extremely brief for reasons out of my control. The modern campaign ruled, but fell into a weird vibe of wanting to do a “heist of the week” which ended up falling victim to too much up front planning and a bunch of players that didn’t want to engage with arduous 5E encounter mechanics shoved through a modern, gun combat lens. You can probably imagine when someone mentioned BITD, I bit hard, since it seemed to perfectly complement the style my players enjoyed and that I enjoyed DMing.

I have a few hang ups - and maybe these are more general than appropriate to this thread, but I’ll hash them out unless I should post elsewhere. I have six PCs. Three of my players are superstars, so far. Two have played under me GMing before. They like my style, and while one is a little goofy/ooc comedy, they gel and I can kind of engage them one on one if I want them to try and foster some behavior in the group. (“Hey, X isn’t participating much, throw them a hook,” etc.) I trust them enough to help me pull the group along without having to dictate too much. A third is clearly thinking at the sort of Blades “collaborative fiction with a group level” and I’m not worried about.

I have two or three players who are more or less brand new to role playing and TTRPGs. They’re being brought along by friends or SOs and seem eager, but I’m worried about the bumps of the early sessions. It’s especially tough because it’s clear their SO’s are more or less doing everything for them so far mechanically and it gives me bad feelings about them really getting into the sessions. I want to find a good spot where the players aren’t afraid to get wildly creative and use their own minds, but I’m afraid that getting there for the newer players is going to be too much of a shock. I know there’s a challenge in a new system even for my ‘core’ group and I’ll be stumbling for a bit, but I really want to focus on making the game constantly fun for the very green people. My current plan is to run a session “0.5” where every single character has about a 15-20 minute vignette one-on-one with me to find the group. I intend to make these seem initially foreboding and like the person is on stage, but then push them to roleplay, at which point I’ll give them an easy win. I want to get them comfortable speaking in front of the group and not afraid when I present them with options, rolls, etc. My hope is that I can kind of get them used to the “audience” too - get a few laughs from the other players, make them feel like they’re the star for a moment.

After that, the game will shift to something more usual with the full group, but I anticipate issues with getting the players to understand the system. I’m not sure they fully understand that they can “build” with me and that I’ll be asking them to do that. I suspect there will be a lot of looking to me to advance the plot, which I get, but I’m interested in how y’all might deal with that. My gut is to provide them a lot of hooks, notes, and then go “mute.” If they press, I’ll push them to discuss options with reminders of what I’ve provided. I hesitate with this approach though - while I like the idea of “It’s on you,” I’m worried that the new players will see that like I’m being a dick and pull themselves out. I want them to get that I’m only pulling back so that they can shine, and I’m not sure if I’m equipped for that. I’m considering making a newspaper handout with several hooks for everyone to read before the first score and telling each player to propose a score based on it before any further discussion with anyone else? In this case I imagine I will try to be extremely silent, only pushing once they start to inevitably get stuck on the specific score.

I know that’s a whole lot to read - but does that all track? Has anyone had experience with a group like this that might have some ‘silver bullet’ tricks to engaging my new players? In general I’d appreciate any tips with the system. I’ve read the book and a lot of online discussion and I feel prepared, but it’s always such a Wild West when you first step into a game.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Other people probably have more specific BitD experience than I do, but I can still throw out some general advice.

-One of the good things about discussing the risk/effectiveness of every skill roll is that it gives you a lot of opportunities to explain the system. Blades has a lot of mechanics, but as long as your new players understand the skill system and earnestly want to do cool thief things, they can have a good time in the system.

-I consider bouncing the spotlight around a key part of running this kind of system anyway, but it's especially important to move the spotlight to new players and throw them a few softballs so they can feel cool and get used to how this kind of game operates.

-If you're asking someone a question, try to have a few suggestions for answers. Both so they can get a feel for what kind of answers you're expecting when you ask that kind of question, and so your players don't blank entirely and flounder for a while. This is especially important for open-ended questions like "so, how are you breaking into the Red Sashes' hideout?".

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
In my experience it's going to be the people newest to roleplaying that Blades will click with quicker. Rather than prepping a whole boat load of hooks, have the newer players each look through the factions and choose one they want to work with and one they want to work against before your crew creation. Don't guide them at all with tier or other mechanical considerations for it. The ideal for Blades is ridiculously minimal prep with your players generating most of the forward momentum. And the first step to that isn't managing the players, but ensuring that everyone feels like their character has very well defined motivations. The faction game is a really easy way to build those motivations quickly. Have their friends and rivals be from their chosen factions. Have them justify their 'free' action dots in character creation with their connection to the factions, were they taught to fight by that gang? Did they have to sneak past their turf everyday on the way to the workhouse to avoid getting beaten up? Did they learn to study as an apprentice architect with the Foundation? etc.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I know that’s a whole lot to read - but does that all track? Has anyone had experience with a group like this that might have some ‘silver bullet’ tricks to engaging my new players? In general I’d appreciate any tips with the system. I’ve read the book and a lot of online discussion and I feel prepared, but it’s always such a Wild West when you first step into a game.

This might be obvious, but the evergreen silver bullet advice is have this conversation with your players. Especially the new ones. Sit down with them and say "hey, I want to make sure you're enjoying yourself and you're eased into the whole 'shared fiction' aspect of this particular kind of gaming. Here's what I was thinking, does that sound good to you? And if not, what can I do to facilitate?"

I would definitely not recommend ambushing them with solo scenes unless you know for sure that they enjoy having a spotlight on them like that--that can be really intimidating for people not yet fully comfortable with tabletop gaming.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

The hardest rule in Blades is "fiction first", so if push back on anyone picking up the dice without saying what they're doing and why.

I think your idea of solo establishing fiction is actually really clever. Make sure that each solo vignette includes at least 3 of the character's vice, friend and rival contact, background, and heritage, and then explicitly pass off. This could help nail down Duskvol as a setting, the characters as people, and that this place is cramped. You can't Do Crimes without bumping elbows.

The other option is to do a James Bond style cold open, which might work better for a more action oriented game. Start at the climax of a score, give everybody a scene to show off, and then move into the game. But this is likely less friendly to beginners.

My favorite BitD mechanic which doesn't get enough attention in my games is the flashback, so gently prompt people with what they did in the past to help this, and maybe give everyone a free flashback.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

The advice given is all very good.

I wanna caution you that six PCs is a lot for a Blades game. Opposition doesn’t scale the way you may be used to in D&D; in a real sense a bigger group is just more resilient. It’s also harder to make sure everyone has a chance to contribute because you have to spread the time thinner. It’s not impossible to handle but don’t be surprised if they are more effective than you might expect.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Good stuff all around. To reiterate that most recent post, Blades teams tend to roll their best pools a lot, either through group actions or just making sure the person sneaking ahead has a lot of prowl or the person fast talking has a lot of sway. Six is going to increase the opportunities for that a lot and also they'll have like 60 loving stress to spend per heist and 12 downtime actions to reduce heat. I went from a 3 person to a 4 person crew and it was a pretty dramatic shift in capability. Though TBH I'm partially wary just because I find that my ability as a GM starts to falter pretty badly at 5 players, just in terms of giving good attention and keeping track of things.

Also I agree that the newer players are if anything going to be better than the more experienced ones. More experienced players tend to revolt against one of my favorite core elements of BITD: different action ratings can be used for the same action. If you're in a sword fight, it can be skirmish or finesse or wreck, and depending on the environment one or the other could change position or effect (a simple example that I like - you're fighting on narrow catwalks above a stage. Wreck will reduce your position as you increase the chance that you fall or damage the catwalks, Finesse may improve your position or effect depending on the GM's whims).

If you really do want to improve people's odds of getting into it, I'd recommend above all else "watch a few episodes of Leverage." It's a fun show anyway.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Six is a REALLY large group for Blades - have a go at it, but I’ve found even 4 is a it harder to keep people engaged while they aren’t participating.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Dramatika posted:

Six is a REALLY large group for Blades - have a go at it, but I’ve found even 4 is a it harder to keep people engaged while they aren’t participating.

Or to look at the flipside, when I run Scum & Villainy (Star Wars smugglers using BitD's mechanics), if I'm not having a problem giving everyone enough time, then I'm not giving people enough time in the spotlight to do character moments, I'm not fleshing out the world adequately, I'm letting people roll "too soon" (e.g., before it's dramatically necessary), and so on.

I too have a hard time giving four people enough spotlight time each. Six will be a real challenge, I think. Perhaps the best way to handle this, if you are dead-set against reducing group size, is making a habit of grouping up the PCs. You'd have ad hoc groups during a heist, and it's easy enough to make sure the overwatch & exfiltration team/the face team/the burgle team all get roughly the same amount of focus. But then you'd have semi-formalized pairs during downtime/free play (e.g., the cutter and the leech hang out a lot together because they are the ones who manage the gang on a day-to-day basis) and split time that way, so that even if this week the cutter gets most of the focus with the gang because he's leading them in a street brawl, next week the leech gets more focus as she renders first aid, replaces explosives they've used, etc. Also, these pairs can align along vices to give natural groups wandering off into the dark to indulge vice, at least until the Spider buys the upgrade that makes the whole group indulge together.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Thanks everybody, I appreciate all the advice. It’s all well taken.

I also wanted to clarify that I explained to everyone that we’d be doing the vignettes, so hopefully no one feels ambushed by them. (I may sneak in a quick “out” and see if anyone wants to take it, though, just to avoid it still feeling ‘ambush’-ish.) It’s definitely been a challenge for me find the right tack with the new players and it’ll probably take a few sessions before I figure out if their hesitance in engaging is just being green or is more “I don’t think this is for me.” I’ll think on it if this is the best way to start. I still really like it, and most of the players know each other, they just don’t know me, so hopefully that take any sting off of it feeling too high pressure.

The amount of players is tough but there wasn’t much I could do. They approached me as a group and needed a DM and ever since I had seen BITD I wanted to run it, so it was probably happening this way or not at all and I’m willing to give it a whirl. I have experience with groups being too big. My last, longest 5E literally had *8* PCs at one point. (Granted by that point we were already in a weird “don’t use half the rules” state.) I’ll take into mind what you’ve all said about resources and how they use them. Not to mention I suspect we shave one or two players in the early sessions when they decide the game isn’t for them. I’m not hoping for that by any means, but it wouldn’t be unexpected.

I’m definitely pushing the group element as much as I can. I have a house rule of “your character has to want to be there” and try to focus on keeping them together or in small groups. I think the couples playing are going to end up playing together, mostly. I also really want to focus on it as a mechanic because I find it’s really effective to have something like “hey, we built a front business/vehicle/thing we like a whole lot” and then pull a “but oh no! It’s under threat!” It seems like that engages people a lot more than just a rival or random bad guy unless they’re really, really into their character. With that focus it might be a little easier to manage because a lot of the focus will be on the crew.

We’ll see - I get the worry, but I’m a little stuck since I don’t want to break them up. I’ll give it a go, see how it works, and adjust as needed.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
My group ran blades with 6 players for about 8 months and had no issues.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

I've run Band of Blades for 6 players and it was a bit tough for me. Mostly the issues that have already been stated like it being difficult to direct the spotlight evenly, and having a ton of resources to spend.

One change I took from Wicked ones in my recent S&V game which should help is a slight change to group actions, making it so the leader takes stress on every player that didn't roll a 6. With that so many players rolling, a 6 is nearly guaranteed a lot of the time which makes group actions so desirable sometimes. This at least applies a pretty heavy stress cost to offset its usefulness (which a group of many players can easily eat).

Ideally though like was already mentioned you should do your best to try and split the team into 2 so that they're running different objectives in the same heist. Though I understand that's not always possible especially depending on how the narrative is playing out.

** I should note I have taken it upon myself to never run a FiTD game with that many people again. I enjoyed it and I'm pretty sure most of my players did, but I couldn't shake the feeling that I could have run it so much better with 4 or less. And my current S&V game with only 4 people is really showing how much smoother it could be.

DarkAvenger211 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 23, 2022

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Are there any good FITD implementations that have nice social mechanics?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Could you be more specific?

Iron sworn has a whole system built around swearing oaths and promises to people, creating bonds with communities, etc. but there are only a couple dozen Moves in the system and maybe a half dozen are social in nature.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 5, 2022

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Could you be more specific?

I was wondering is there were any hacks that made social interactions / negotiations / investigations more nuanced / crunchy than “you progress a clock”.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

CitizenKeen posted:

I was wondering is there were any hacks that made social interactions / negotiations / investigations more nuanced / crunchy than “you progress a clock”.

Why would they need to be? Adding layers of rules isn't always better, and social stuff is tricky to have really concrete rules for at the best of times in an rpg.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

CitizenKeen posted:

Gotcha. Not that I'm aware of- the FITD philosophy seems to prize a fairly basic set of outcome categories for each Move. This could be something you could homebrew though, with something as simple as a set of Attitude thresholds similar to the way Blades handles standing.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Why would they need to be? Adding layers of rules isn't always better, and social stuff is tricky to have really concrete rules for at the best of times in an rpg.

I mean, why do we need crunchier rules for starships? Why do we need crunchier rules for managing a company of soldiers, or for building a trap-filled base, or for mechs?

A game is about what its mechanics are about. I wasn't saying a FitD game needs any social mechanics beyond the core rules, I was asking if any FitD games existed whose authors had decided that, with what their game was about, that that game needed more nuanced social engagement rules.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Gotcha. Not that I'm aware of- the FITD philosophy seems to prize a fairly basic set of outcome categories for each Move. This could be something you could homebrew though, with something as simple as a set of Attitude thresholds similar to the way Blades handles standing.

Yeah, the hack I'm spinning up is going to involve a lot of political maneuvering and coalition building, so I'm looking for a little more, emphasis on "little", but still more. I'm currently thinking of just cribbing the moods from Hard Wired Island (indifferent, formal, friendly, hostile, sexy), and then hanging moves on them.

Absolute Nerve: When you change the mood to hostile, gain +1d on the next action taken.

Whispered Confidante: When alone with someone in an intimate mood, they will believe anything you tell them.

That kind of stuff.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Court of Blades by A Couple of Drakes is about renaissance style dynastic competition, with the players taking on the role of noble retainers of a house. Haven't had a huge look at the mechanics changes, but there might be something in there you can use.