Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Is it just me or is the DC Universe Infinite interface hilariously better than the Marvel Unlimited interface in every possible way? Discovery, comic-to-comic reading, in-comic reading, everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Wouldn't know. It's region locked.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Test Pattern posted:

Is it just me or is the DC Universe Infinite interface hilariously better than the Marvel Unlimited interface in every possible way? Discovery, comic-to-comic reading, in-comic reading, everything.

Yes except downloading is still a one issue at a time chore and almost worthless

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!

Junkie Disease posted:

Yes except downloading is still a one issue at a time chore and almost worthless

Downloading is so tiresome and unreliable that I don't even try to do it, which is a bit of an issue since a great deal of my digital comics reading happens while commuting to work, where the internet is pretty shaky. Works great at home/at work with a stable internet connection though!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Test Pattern posted:

sure, but they don't have any Spider-Man comics

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cloks posted:

Actually that makes me wonder, does either platform have the DC/Marvel crossover comics?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Given the bad blood that whole stupid thing caused, I'd doubt it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
New Kodansha Humble Bundle (Good 'til April 16th)

40$ for a bunch of award winning manga including Space Bros, To Your Eternity, Witch Hat Altielier, Princess Jellyfish and, er, Quintessential Quintuplets.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

ConanThe3rd posted:

40$ for a bunch of award winning manga including Space Bros, To Your Eternity, Witch Hat Altielier, Princess Jellyfish and, er, Quintessential Quintuplets.

Just vol 3 and 4 of witch hat

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

ConanThe3rd posted:

Blue Period is quite good as well.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
After Amazon discontinued Comixology, it seems I am no longer able to buy digital Marvel comics from Amazon since I am neither American or British.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rincewinds posted:

I am neither American or British.
Lucky you!

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Cloks posted:

sure sure sure, which is why I've had MU for years and years and got DCUI when it was half price a couple of weeks ago. $37.50 to be reminded WHY I dropped DC has been worth it so far, and reading the actually-good comics other than that are almost gravy.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Test Pattern posted:

sure sure sure, which is why I've had MU for years and years and got DCUI when it was half price a couple of weeks ago. $37.50 to be reminded WHY I dropped DC has been worth it so far, and reading the actually-good comics other than that are almost gravy.

same, i bought DCUI for all the eighties stuff, the Alan Moore projects and checking out whatever Tom Taylor has been up to

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Xbox game pass has an offer for a 3-month free trial of marvel unlimited:
https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/three-months-free-of-marvel-unlimited-with-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-subscription

Its for new US marvel subscriptions only, but maybe it will work for somebody here

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I have no idea if it will work for this, but I've been able to reactivate lapsed Marvel Unlimited subscriptions using a free trial on the same account before. If you don't mind futzing around with it you can try canceling then re-upping with this.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If you can get through the Amazon store, Immortal Hulk is on sale and you should absolutely get this run. Probably one of the best comic runs ever.

this page should link to all volumes.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Cruise with out internet report
Hoopla, dc, marvel all poo poo
Dc, marvel garbage at actually downloading what they are told to dl, so most of what I planned to read was incomplete or missing
Hoopla won't do anything without internet, downloading is for naught

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

https://gizmodo.com/dcs-comics-app-finally-remembers-other-countries-exist-1848712752

Canada: Currently available

Australia: March 29, 2022

New Zealand: March 29, 2022

United Kingdom: April 28, 2022

Brazil: Summer 2022

Mexico: Summer 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

lol what? It's available now? Like they just went "huh whaddya now, we could have had checked the Enabled box this whole time."

Edit: thanks for posting the update by the way. Been waiting for more than a year for them to announce.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Pretty pricey since it doesn't have the HBO content for us, but can't say I haven't been waiting for it

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Why can’t they allow people from abroad to access a global site? Is it all licensing?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So far the app is really nice. Slick. The MU app has been plaguing me with so much slowdown for the past several months.

One thing that is already annoying though is that Infinite doesn't let me read to the bottom of the last page of an issue if I'm in landscape orientation. It reads my input of scrolling down as trying to go to the next page, which in this case means the next issue, so it brings up the next issue screen. Have to go back and flip to portrait to finish reading the end.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Cool, finally undated comiXology on my iPad and it deleted 6 gb of comics I had saved.

I updated it because I was out of storage space and was trying to save some Marvel Unlimited files, I was gonna clear some of the space out of comiXology, so I guess it did what it needed to do!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Now that I've got Infinite I decided to check out the original Batman stories. This is the most obvious thing in the world but it really is interesting how much the Joker is instantly in a league of his own compared to Batman's foes up to that point.

Also I can't believe I've gone my whole life not seeing this panel. Batman with an incredible line!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Damnit, IDW, what's the point of having a store if you're not gonna release comics when they come out (The Sonic 2 tie in issue)?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

hadji murad posted:

What are the best iOS comic reading apps?

I like YAC reader but the interface bugs me a little and I keep turning pages when I try to enter a menu.

A Second Edit: I changed the page settings when in a comic and you can swipe on the bottom and hitting the middle screen brings up the options. This is much more my speed!

I just read through the last 5 pages hoping to find some discussion on this. I've been happily using Comic Zeal for years and years to read my cbr/cbz files but it's been a little weird on iPadOS15 and I realized the other day that it's been 5 years since it was last updated. YACReader looks pretty good; 4.8/5* with 1.1k reviews and last updated 2 weeks ago are both good signs. Are you still happy with it hadji murad or have you found anything better?

Anyone else have an iOS/iPadOS reader that they like?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Chunky Comic Reader is the only app I've used on an iPad (or Apple!), but I like everything about it. It's super simple, all I want it to do is see a full page and an easy to browse library and it does those things well.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Oh hell yeah:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/ultimate-terry-moore-collection-abstract-studios-tbc-books

I haven't read some of his other works, but Strangers In Paradise is absolutely fantastic and well worth the cost of the bundle.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
And once again, make sure you manually adjust the donation amount, because the default gives a completely pitiful amount to the charity these bundles are ostensibly for.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
How is DC Unlimited now? Is nearly all old stuff up on it now? Do they still take down issues?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is that service bad? I've been reading X-Men event stories with my friends and we are about to catch up with Hickman's work. DC event comics starting with either Crisis or Death of Superman are one of the possibilities for our next run.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Uthor posted:

Is that service bad? I've been reading X-Men event stories with my friends and we are about to catch up with Hickman's work. DC event comics starting with either Crisis or Death of Superman are one of the possibilities for our next run.

When it first launched it was ludicrously incomplete like an 8 issue event would have issues 1,3,5-7 and be missing the rest, issues would be added and subtracted weekly, and no flag to say if you had read a book. This was 4 years ago though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

plainswalker75 posted:

Oh hell yeah:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/ultimate-terry-moore-collection-abstract-studios-tbc-books

I haven't read some of his other works, but Strangers In Paradise is absolutely fantastic and well worth the cost of the bundle.

Strangers in Paradise sounds like exactly the kind of thing I would completely hate, but Echo and Rachel Rising both look interesting.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

ToxicFrog posted:

Strangers in Paradise sounds like exactly the kind of thing I would completely hate, but Echo and Rachel Rising both look interesting.

I bailed on Rachel rising around the 60% mark I think and as memory serves it was because the book kept slowly trickling out answers while the characters acted like raging morons at every step. Like to the point where any interesting characterization was drowned out by stupid and coincidences. Not sure if it got better.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

How is DC Unlimited now? Is nearly all old stuff up on it now? Do they still take down issues?

Leagues better. They've added (and are still adding) tons of older stuff. Newer books go up 6 months after publication, I think

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Subbed to Marvel U and then promptly unsubbed when, amongst other UI hangnails, I couldn't read Two Page Vertical.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 12, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Subbed to Marvel U and then promptly unsubbed when, amongst other UI hangnails, I couldn't read Two Page Vertical.

You should be able to freeze orientation.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I have a bunch of comics pre-ordered on amazon.ca and every week I get a separate email per comic that says "your order is ready", and I have to click into it to see which book it is. It's so stupid how big a step back this whole thing is even a month later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just don't even look. They send a list like a week ahead saying what's coming, and if there's anything in there I wasn't interested in any longer, I delete the subscription.

It's definitely annoying getting a bunch of emails all at once though.