Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Crusader Kings 3: Accidental Secret Bastard Outbreeding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Oh finally managed to reform Bori

No crimes, everything is accepted except kinslaying which is shunned. Cousin marriage is a-OK. Natural primitivism, adorcism and esoterism means plenty of naked people of all sexes, ideally possessed mystical witches stuffed with drugs, shagging each other freely

Our parties don't give piety anymore but I bet they are funnier!

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 17, 2022

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
I love the idea of Witch Covens but find that it's super hard to do in the mid-late game because the amount of adult house members is out of control. Ive even won two great holy wars so have family members in distant kingdoms.

Also wanted to make my religion into cannibals with the decision but couldn't find a cannibal who is also able to be my court chaplain.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah Witch Coven is really only possible at early game

Unless you dont like landing your family

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

binge crotching posted:

Exactly, no point in spending the renown.

And inbred is never the problem in my games, it's the 80% of my dynasty that have syphilis.

I really need to remember this. So it’s probably easier to eat a tyranny penalty (does tyranny carry over to an heir?) than waste renown?

I feel like tyranny was super bad in CK2 but maybe not so much in 3.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

PancakeTransmission posted:

I love the idea of Witch Covens but find that it's super hard to do in the mid-late game because the amount of adult house members is out of control. Ive even won two great holy wars so have family members in distant kingdoms.

Also wanted to make my religion into cannibals with the decision but couldn't find a cannibal who is also able to be my court chaplain.

Especially with cadet branches not counting toward the coven, but showing up in your list of dynasty members... yeah, it's untenable. I think my next game I'll just start as a witch and prioritize it.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

disaster pastor posted:

Especially with cadet branches not counting toward the coven, but showing up in your list of dynasty members... yeah, it's untenable. I think my next game I'll just start as a witch and prioritize it.

You can create a character search filter and write "house" and it will auto-complete with your house without the cadet branches. Then convert all adult members to the coven. That's the way I did it, it took forever but there was no "problem" finding the characters.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

TjyvTompa posted:

You can create a character search filter and write "house" and it will auto-complete with your house without the cadet branches. Then convert all adult members to the coven. That's the way I did it, it took forever but there was no "problem" finding the characters.

Ah, cool, thank you.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

I really need to remember this. So it’s probably easier to eat a tyranny penalty (does tyranny carry over to an heir?) than waste renown?

I feel like tyranny was super bad in CK2 but maybe not so much in 3.

Tyranny decays extremely fast; there are perks that make it go away faster, as well as a number of artifacts that reduce it. I had a game where I was losing 1.37 tyranny a month, which basically makes it meaningless.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Just take care if you have any traditions (hello Hereditary Hierarchy) that reduce Tyranny Loss. Even worse if coupled with traditions that increase Tyranny Gain (hello Chivalry).

Fun things to realize immediately after mass revoking during a French playthrough on Ironman.

Also apparently in CK3 Tyranny applies even if everyone joins your court _after_ you committed the Tyranny. I seem to recall CK2 operating differently, but I suppose that makes sense, though again, didn't realize it until after... ("Why does this guy hate me, he just joined my court? Oh -200 Tyranny...")

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Tippis posted:

Oh don't worry. The second you take over playing as him, someone will immediately discover the murders and slap him/you with it. :haw:

He got caught murdering his nephew a week before he inherited everything. On the other hand, he inherited everything so I guess it all worked out in the end.

The Haesteinn start really is OP. I wanted to do another Kingdom of Mann run since my old save was no good, so I started as Haesteinn this time. I was accumulating prestige at a steady pace, but I started getting worried when he got cancer around age 70. I tried to stack health bonuses as much as I could, but the cancer plus all the stress from being greedy and all the crazy treatments my physician inflicted on me and then also becoming infirm did not make for a good combination. But that dude just refused to die. He finally kicked it at 97 after a botched treatment. It would've been nice to make it to 100 but he was also an infirm widowed disfigured eunuch so his stats were pretty poo poo by that point anyway.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

zonohedron posted:

Secret bastard inbreeding is also a problem for people trying to get the Perfect Circle achievement, though in that case it's secret bastard outbreeding - if your wife, who is also your sister, who is also your daughter, is unfaithful to you, her father-brother-husband, and you don't find out, a son born of such infidelity will appear to be your son-nephew-grandson but will actually have different ancestors for purposes of calculating that achievement, and there's no way to know for sure until eventually your character shows up as having only two great-grandparents but you don't get the achievement.

This is far less of a problem than it used to be in the release version. Maybe I just got lucky but I pulled it off on my first try; you definitely want to seduce-romance your sibling-spouse ASAP though to cut down the odds of that poo poo.

Semi-related: for the love of god never make a religion with Accepted Adultery for everybody, I did it in hopes that I would get fewer popups about random nobodies of my dynasty having affairs, but it turns out you still get the popups, and since it's no longer illegal everybody is loving everybody all of the time, and you get way more of them.
:negative:

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 18, 2022

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

They should just call it Swinging instead.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Semi-related: for the love of god never make a religion with Accepted Adultery for everybody, I did it in hopes that I would get fewer popups about random nobodies of my dynasty having affairs, but it turns out you still get the popups, and since it's no longer illegal everybody is loving everybody all of the time, and you get way more of them.
:negative:

What's best is when you're playing a woman, and you get the "should I or should I not keep the real father of my baby a secret?" popup, and no matter what you pick, the game immediately remembers that adultery is accepted and follows it up with the "reveal the real father of your baby!" popup where you have no choice about it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

So can I get Unexcommunicated? I just inherited and like a year in the pope tells me I’m out. Only thing I can even find is that a duchess must have bribed him to do it. I don’t see anything in my history that would’ve caused me to get excommunicated.

Maybe now is the time to form my own religion.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Destroyed the Papacy last night, felt good man.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

So can I get Unexcommunicated? I just inherited and like a year in the pope tells me I’m out. Only thing I can even find is that a duchess must have bribed him to do it. I don’t see anything in my history that would’ve caused me to get excommunicated.

Maybe now is the time to form my own religion.

You might be able to pay your way to salvation if the pope likes you enough, though that doesn't prevent you from getting excommunicated again.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Well it was quickly solved because the pope wants to wage a great holy war and by joining he lifted my excommunication. That was easy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

There's also a character interaction where you ask for forgiveness from the Pope, and as long as he doesn't totally hate you he'll lift it in exchange for a big old donation to the church.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Basic question, how do I take land as a viking and stay tribal?

I'm trying to go for a heisteinn to kingdom of Mann run, and any duchy invasion or varangian adventure into Scotland immediately turns me feudal.

How do I make gains and stay tribal? Well, I'm assuming I want to stay tribal anyway.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Haestenn starts as feudal

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
VA government is based off your capital holding after you VA. So tribal if its tribal, feudal for everything else. Notably you can't become clan

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Omnicarus posted:

Haestenn starts as feudal

Huh, I never even thought that could be a possibility.

In that case what's the best strategy for raiding? Just hit small weak areas? Or is there a good way to hit places like Francia or Italy without a massive throw down?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, Haesteinn starts as feudal and you don’t need to be tribal to form Mann in the first place.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

Huh, I never even thought that could be a possibility.

In that case what's the best strategy for raiding? Just hit small weak areas? Or is there a good way to hit places like Francia or Italy without a massive throw down?

Hitting small weak areas is definitely viable, but also waiting for a stronger area to be at war and then swooping in while their army is occupied elsewhere tends to be good. And then after you've invested some raiding profits into varangians your army will be able to wipe most forces that get sent against it anyway.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Best strategy for raiding is making sure you've got a siege commander. Even if their other stats are not great. Being able to swoop in and finish a raid before the armies can get properly raised is a huge bonus no matter where you go.

That said, definitely start by raiding the poo poo out of Ireland before they start consolidating, they tend to be weak with lots of churches.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Azhais posted:

Best strategy for raiding is making sure you've got a siege commander. Even if their other stats are not great. Being able to swoop in and finish a raid before the armies can get properly raised is a huge bonus no matter where you go.

That said, definitely start by raiding the poo poo out of Ireland before they start consolidating, they tend to be weak with lots of churches.

This isn't the case for CK3, siege speed does not matter for raiding. You want a reaver commander for raiding speed.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The best way to raid in CK3 is to do it at all because it's stupidly easy and makes you infinite money.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

When raiding, don’t make the mistake I made and get involved in a pillow fight war in Khazaria that lasts 10 years so you can’t raise raiders as your gold slowly dissipates to nothing.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Oh drat, I need your help. This run is loving cruising along, got half the prestige I need to form the kingdom of Mann and just beat cancer.

Except I'm a loving moron that gave the earldom of Mann to my son and made an alliance with him. He is my only surviving son and has a son of his own, so I don't want to stab my way to the title.

And I'm not anywhere close on renown to just claim title.

What other options do I have to get the title back and keep my heir alive?

E: and I just made it worse. I fabricated a claim on the title but still can't revoke it and since I have a claim I can't claim it with splendor now.

It says I can't reovke a title from an ally without a reason. Does a claim not count as a reason?

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 20, 2022

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

Oh drat, I need your help. This run is loving cruising along, got half the prestige I need to form the kingdom of Mann and just beat cancer.

Except I'm a loving moron that gave the earldom of Mann to my son and made an alliance with him. He is my only surviving son and has a son of his own, so I don't want to stab my way to the title.

I think you should still be able to fabricate a claim on the county using your councilor, which will let you revoke it without getting any tyranny. He’ll probably still declare war on you for trying to take his stuff though. Alternatively, try to imprison him without having a claim and then revoke it anyway if you don’t care about the tyranny opinion loss.

If you’re only at 50% of the required prestige you’ve still got plenty of time to go, so the problem could always end up solving itself one way or another.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

wizardofloneliness posted:

I think you should still be able to fabricate a claim on the county using your councilor, which will let you revoke it without getting any tyranny. He’ll probably still declare war on you for trying to take his stuff though. Alternatively, try to imprison him without having a claim and then revoke it anyway if you don’t care about the tyranny opinion loss.

If you’re only at 50% of the required prestige you’ve still got plenty of time to go, so the problem could always end up solving itself one way or another.

Too fast on my edit I guess.

I have a claim, but still can't revoke and now that I have a claim using renown to take it isn't allowed because I have a claim. So I think I made it worse by trying to be clever.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Using renown would have only given you a claim, not the title itself.

Demon_Corsair posted:

E: and I just made it worse. I fabricated a claim on the title but still can't revoke it and since I have a claim I can't claim it with splendor now.

It says I can't reovke a title from an ally without a reason. Does a claim not count as a reason?

You very specifically need a Title Revocation Reason to revoke from an ally. Try revoking titles from other vassals, accumulating Tyranny and triggering revolts. I think it's possible for an ally to join a revolt against you but I'm not super sure.

Alternatively, accumulate fuckloads of stress until you keel over dead and then you'll be your son!

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I have multiple claims on the Emperor of the Greeks, and yet... I still cant declare war on him for my claims.

Ugh, it looks like I'm going to have to re-enact the Fourth Crusade. Which I suppose is fitting, since I am trying for the Frankokratia achievement

Was also running a parallel game to create Bactria - and wow, the money you can make in Merv is pretty wild.

Also, I met this vision, and now I'm obsessed with breeding albino beauties...

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Moreau posted:

I have multiple claims on the Emperor of the Greeks, and yet... I still cant declare war on him for my claims.

Ugh, it looks like I'm going to have to re-enact the Fourth Crusade. Which I suppose is fitting, since I am trying for the Frankokratia achievement

Was also running a parallel game to create Bactria - and wow, the money you can make in Merv is pretty wild.

Also, I met this vision, and now I'm obsessed with breeding albino beauties...

I can't tell for sure, but it might be because you're Disfigured. The Byzantines have a special cultural pillar that blocks claimant wars from characters with "negative physical traits." The one that always trips me up is that Celibate counts.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So I have a question about MAA formation and Varangian Vets vs Huscarls. Right now my MAAs are all spearman and heavy infantry, specifically bondi and varangians. Is it worth it to have some huscarls and regular pikemen in there too or is it better to just stick with one type? I’ve been mostly in Britain so far and am now trying to expand more into mainland Scandinavia where there’s more taiga that huscarls would get a bonus for and mountains that are a penalty for bondis.

After hundreds of hours in this and CK2 I still don’t really understand what the pursuit and screen stats do or how important they are. The VVs obviously win out compared to huscarls in damage and toughness, but beyond that I don’t really know how to interpret it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Pursuit is for turning fled casualties into fatal ones. Unless the fight is decided in the first few days, most losses are actually non-fatal and you'll get those numbers pop back up once the stack is defeated and goes running. Screen counteracts Pursuit. I'd have to look up the efficiency of those numbers, but...
While it's a nice QoL thing to make sure the AI stacks stay dead, I think most players are more concerned with winning the fight to begin with. Or conversely, once victory is certain just having enough dudes ends the combat asap and they auto-stackwipe, so there's that.

Mixing various unique heavy inf is an interesting idea, go for it. All you really get out of it is countering an additional type maybe (archers?) but there's no downside so why not. Norse OP reasons #324. Don't mix in pikemen/bondi tho, stick with one 'archtype' for sure.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 20, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

In general it's better to pick exactly one type (contrary to what you might assume, this makes you harder to counter, not easier, since countering considers the relative numbers of the countering unit), and boost them up with one building type, and then just drawing revenue from the other building slots (assuming you're feudal anyway, as tribal you only have four choices so whatevs).

As a tribal Norse, Varangian Veterans are by far the best unit to do this with based on their high damage and toughness stats (pursuit is a fun bonus but not really important). They're expensive but since prestige is easy to come by as a tribal that's generally not an issue. As you get later in the game I will argue that Armored Cav and Elephants are better, but not by a lot. The same buildings that boost heavy infantry also boost spearmen as a general rule, so you can mix them in if you want, but for singleplayer there is no reason to bother.

As for pursuit and screen, screen is pretty trash honestly. It only matters during the retreat phase, so unless you're planning on fighting a lot of losing battles it's not even doing anything. Pursuit on the other hand affects how many casualties the enemy takes during the retreat phase; generally I'd describe it as just a small bonus, since most units have it in very small numbers, and main phase casualties and actually winning the battle are more important anyway, but there is one extremely important exception.

Let's talk about Horse Archers. Importantly they are a very well rounded unit in general, distinguishing them from Konni, who while they have an extremely good pursuit score, have terrible attack and toughness scores, and are attached to a garbage tradition as well. Horse Archers on the other hand are powerful enough to stack as your only MaA type and still win battles, and when you do you will deal hundreds or thousands of casualties in the retreat phase. It's not uncommon to wipe out the enemy completely in this way, especially if you can catch their army as a few smaller stacks. This is especially great if you're a small realm trying to wear down a big one. They're also boosted by the Hunting Grounds building, which is cheap and available almost everywhere. As the game goes on they'll stack up less well against Armoured Cavalry, but especially in the Tribal era they are nothing short of amazing. If you have access to them, use them.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Quorum posted:

I can't tell for sure, but it might be because you're Disfigured. The Byzantines have a special cultural pillar that blocks claimant wars from characters with "negative physical traits." The one that always trips me up is that Celibate counts.

Ah! That makes a lot of sense. Odd that there isn't a note or tool tip indicating that. All the more reason to forbid my heirs from leading armies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Is there a good primer on attrition anywhere? Cause I can't figure it out. My armies are 80/100 on supply, at 1425/2610 of the supply limit and I still take 100 casualties for ever step I take in England in April.