Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

kastein posted:

My friend Jack ignored the GRONKKKKKKK noise ...

He should not gently caress that car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Delicious.

Unrelated, but related presumably to the wording on the side of the car, MAN, I sure do love me some folks moaning about "are freedums" while simultaneously rejecting the notion that those freedoms do not include being free of the consequences of their actions or decisions. That's what they really mean by "their freedoms". That one's not in the Constitution, chucklefuck. Or reality.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq1sKWWIVVA

First clip: "Customer states they let their son drive their brand new truck..."

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

what am I supposed to be seeing here

(besides Chrysler-based sadness)

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

buttcrackmenace posted:

what am I supposed to be seeing here

(besides Chrysler-based sadness)

some idiots organized a "Freedom Convoy" in Lansing Michigan, led by the nutjob with the broken down PT Cruiser. 4 people showed up.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

`Nemesis posted:

some idiots organized a "Freedom Convoy" in Lansing Michigan, led by the nutjob with the broken down PT Cruiser. 4 people showed up.

Of course said moron is driving a Chrysler made in Mexico. The country so terrible that we "need" a fantasy fence to keep at bay.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

`Nemesis posted:

Imagine being that guy, and all the tow operators you call are like "No! We're not towing protestors away :) It's too political and we simply don't want to get involved! :)"

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

NoWake posted:

Imagine being that guy, and all the tow operators you call are like "No! We're not towing protestors away :) It's too political and we simply don't want to get involved! :)"

Set it on fire and blame antifa.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Darchangel posted:

Delicious.

Unrelated, but related presumably to the wording on the side of the car, MAN, I sure do love me some folks moaning about "are freedums" while simultaneously rejecting the notion that those freedoms do not include being free of the consequences of their actions or decisions. That's what they really mean by "their freedoms". That one's not in the Constitution, chucklefuck. Or reality.

Yeah, every time I hear about "muh freedums" or "cancel culture", I want to shake people and tell them that it's called "responsibility culture". You can say what you want, within limits, but the net of responsibility for your words and actions spreads very wide indeed.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Apparently a batch of lifters for the 5.3 and 6.2 v8 Chevy makes have a 100 percent failure rate. I'm so excited to do the same job every day for months. gently caress.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I know there have been a lot of problems with hydraulic lifters for years. I just use solid roller lifters/cam and live with adjusting them because it is less hassle than tearing something apart that has a ton of metal go through it from a wiped cam and lifters.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Apparently a batch of lifters for the 5.3 and 6.2 v8 Chevy makes have a 100 percent failure rate. I'm so excited to do the same job every day for months. gently caress.

Is there a TSB for this? Dad’s at4 is the 6.2 cause he just couldn’t wait one more model year for the baby duramax like I told him to

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Hell if I know, I'm Just An Apprentice. Failure mode is just sticking shut, so it'll kill your cats and be really down on power, nothing actually scary. Heard the owner losing his mind over a phone call with corporate over it.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
This isn't thematically appropriate considering it's a horrible carpentry failure, but I have to share it because it's truly amazing.

At the end of the day today I got to see a condo remodel where a floor coverer pulled off some base to replace carpet with laminate and one of the brad nail holes in the drywall started spraying water across the room. Apparently 10 years ago, when the complex went up, some finish carpenter shot a brad off layout and went straight into a CPVC sprinkler pipe. That little 18 gauge nail held back 30 psi for a decade and didn't leak a drop until the base came off the wall. If the vinyl had gone down under the existing base with new shoe nobody ever would have found it.

Before today I was blissfully ignorant of anything other than black pipe drop ceiling commercial sprinkler systems where the usual failure mode during a remodel is a sparky not paying attention to where the handrail is on the scissor lift.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Wish I could see people's faces when the spraying started. :allears: Magical.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

delayed release saddle valve

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
When you take the saddle out of the equation what do you have left? I guess a bareback valve.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I was digging around the toolbox at work the other day looking for either a 9 or 11 mm socket, and all I could find were 10mm sockets. It was deeply unsettling.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dr. Despair posted:

I was digging around the toolbox at work the other day looking for either a 9 or 11 mm socket, and all I could find were 10mm sockets. It was deeply unsettling.

You're the chosen one.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Dr. Despair posted:

I can't remember who it was at this point but I think I sent someone like a dozen-plus 11mm sockets one year for AISS as a joke/to drive them crazy looking for the ten.

(The local pawn shop sells loose misc sockets for like 25 cents each. :lol:)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Dr. Despair posted:

Check for wormhole exits in your garage.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Dr. Despair posted:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

no rules

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I know it's more of a joke than anything, but I've been wrenching on my own poo poo for literally 35 years, and I have yet to lose a 10mm socket. I don't think I've "lost" a tool, like ever.
:shrug:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

slidebite posted:

I know it's more of a joke than anything, but I've been wrenching on my own poo poo for literally 35 years, and I have yet to lose a 10mm socket. I don't think I've "lost" a tool, like ever.

There are clean as you go types of people and there are people that leave what looks like the results of a natural disaster behind

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I am definitely more of the later. Rolling around on the creeper hitting poo poo and just flinging it out of the way. Maybe it's a miracle I haven't.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

slidebite posted:

The only tool I've actually "lost" was a 1/2"-drive 3/4" impact deep well socket and even after moving out of that house and emptying that garage I still have no loving idea where it went. I don't know how a socket that big just up and disappears.

I left a screwdriver at the junkyard once, but that's on me for being a dumbass.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

I got this free swivel head ratcheting 10mm duralast ratchet buried deep in the loving poo poo hell that is a VG30DE that bent me over a barrel. It was my consolation prize for barely getting to eat that week thanks to that miserable shitbag engine.

That ratchet was in my go bag for years

It jumped out of the topbox on my moto on a dirt ride to find a new life with the next owner. Live on little buddy.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

slidebite posted:

I am definitely more of the later. Rolling around on the creeper hitting poo poo and just flinging it out of the way. Maybe it's a miracle I haven't.

Same here, though I must add that communal tools in my shop at work don't count because you can rarely find anything that you need. The ones in my work truck= all there, personal tools at work, missing one 1)2" socket.

Shop tools, it's a crapshoot. For the longest time 3/4 was the wrench and/or sockets that didn't exist, now it seems to be 7/16 stuff that has disappeared.

Other stuff can be found occasionally maybe even where it's supposed to be.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Dr. Despair posted:

If you find a Mr. Goodwrench-branded 1/4" drive, I'd like it back please.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Idea: Weld a 10mm socket onto the wrench. Weld 10mm bolt heads in the backs of all the other sockets. Problem solved.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Arrath posted:

Idea: Weld a 10mm socket onto the wrench. Weld 10mm bolt heads in the backs of all the other sockets. Problem solved.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
For me at least it’s when I’m not being good about putting away tools and then the 10mm (or 12mm) is just kind of floating somewhere under a wrench or a gasket and I can’t seem to find it even though it’s definitely right there.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've never lost the ten but I did lose my 13/16 12pt (which I have literally never used) in the disgusting trunk area of my old beater XJ. It was there before a trail ride in 2014 and it wasn't after. I found it in 2018 when I cut it up for parts, deeply embedded in the grease/oil/coolant/gasoline/trail mud/dissolving factory floor butyl sound dampening melange that was caked to the trunk floor. That car was 12/10 gross.

I lost my 3/8 drive 1/2 deep 12pt literally in the back of the water pump pulley from the old engine of the same jeep in 2012. Dropped it while taking the head off, couldn't find it anywhere despite spending a good 5 minutes looking, and it was just sitting in the corner of my yard so there was no engine bay to get lost in. I found it years later at one of the NEAI meets after we thermited it and drunkenly decided to disassemble it to see how much damage was done.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i keep losing ratcheting 9/16" wrenches. one of them fell out of my pocket on a bike ride, one of them i accidentally left on the fender of the car before shutting the hood and going on a test drive, and another was in the car when it was stolen, and not there when it was recovered.

i hardly ever use 10mm, but 9/16? every drat time. i started buying 14mm wrenches because they fit better, guess its time i buy another one...

aside from that, ive left a couple things in junkyard cars that werent there when i remembered and went back (rip, my grandpa's channellocks)

i also had a toolkit that went missing from the car the second time it was stolen too, now that i think of it

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Every 10 I've ever lost has been a cranking hard, break loose, banged knuckles, *clink*, handle still in your hand, socket absorbed into the ether, blood everywhere.

Some people work tidier, my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

considering Robertson screwdrivers seem to just show up out of nowhere, if you welded a 10mm socket to a robertson screwdriver you could create a hole in the space time continuum.