Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

drat, I guess that was the sad ending. Unless all of them end with Serenoa sacrificing himself in a fiery explosion and Frederica being distraught about it.

On to NG+ I guess!

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cattail Prophet posted:

They do strengthen Serenoa's convictions, technically.

Oh yeah, i guess. I more meant in battle like fire emblem

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The side conversations have no impact but become more frequent deeper into the game. To the point that a lot of later bosses have unique dialogue with a lot of the cast.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

drat, I guess that was the sad ending. Unless all of them end with Serenoa sacrificing himself in a fiery explosion and Frederic’s being distraught about it.

On to NG+ I guess!

I really like that ending. I can only assume it's the the best ending for roland (besides possibly the secret one) since he doesn't sell his soul and just leaves politics to fish. I dig where everyone ends up.

I need to do more endings but now im distracted by neo twewy

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 19, 2022

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

drat, I guess that was the sad ending. Unless all of them end with Serenoa sacrificing himself in a fiery explosion and Frederic’s being distraught about it.

On to NG+ I guess!

Hahaha, holy crap, no, definitely not. My path ended with Serenoa becoming king and the Roselle freed, starting an era of extreme wealth, but rampant inequality worse than the former status quo. Roland is seen working with Idore, to start a revolution or something. I call it the capitalism ending.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Just got to the golden route, if you plan on doing all the routes save this one for last, you'll be rewarded for having recruited all 30 characters.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
alternatively, if you want a challenge do the golden route first.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Snooze Cruise posted:

I really like that ending. I can only assume it's the the best ending for roland (besides possibly the secret one) since he doesn't sell his soul and just leaves politics to fish. I dig where everyone ends up.

I need to do more endings but now im distracted by neo twewy

Actually Roland and Seranoa are very happy in the Roland ending were they give control to Hyzante

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MonsterEnvy posted:

Actually Roland and Seranoa are very happy in the Roland ending were they give control to Hyzante

i always suspected the real reason they married frederica was for a beard

e: editing this joke days later because I only just remembered they're are half siblings, whoops. I keep forgetting that lmao

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 27, 2022

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

alternatively, if you want a challenge do the golden route first.

Man that would be brutal. I guess you can out level it at least?

Reik fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 19, 2022

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I have so many characters now I'm not sure who to focus on. Everyone has a fun niche.

So, is (Chapter XV story character recruit spoiler) Cordelia the only character that can increase evasion without items? Because Groma and the other Chapter XV recruit spoiler would love that. But it's very noticeably missing from Benedict's repertoire.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

This is where I ended up.

As ever, I sit on the fence like a motherfucker.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Before I opt to buy this game, as a great lover of Fire Emblem and Octopath Traveler, I need to know one thing.

How good is the music compared to Octopath Traveler? Octopath has probably one of my favourite OSTs of all time, and if Triangle Strategy is anywhere near as good I know I'll love the game.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Jade Mage posted:

Before I opt to buy this game, as a great lover of Fire Emblem and Octopath Traveler, I need to know one thing.

How good is the music compared to Octopath Traveler? Octopath has probably one of my favourite OSTs of all time, and if Triangle Strategy is anywhere near as good I know I'll love the game.

It's not a Nishiki soundtrack sadly. It's fine but nowhere near Octopath. The encampment song will definitely get stuck in your head.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's not a Nishiki soundtrack sadly. It's fine but nowhere near Octopath. The encampment song will definitely get stuck in your head.

Then I will wait until I'm sick of Elden Ring and reassess then. Thanks!

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I thought the music was absolutely on par with Octopath, personally. Some of the boss themes go extremely hard.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
There is some good tracks yeah, I dig the one the roselle battle theme

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

I like this OST a lot. Probably my favorite on the Switch since Xenoblade 2. Combat-Valor and First Campaign are stuck in my head constantly, and Until That Day (the Roselle battle theme) really hits with the drums and Celtic sounding poo poo.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Im talking about the blue sphere convos, like theres one with erador and corentin. You havent gotten any? Maybe it only works for the main cast or something
Works with every character besides Serenoa. Just gotta deploy them a lot. There's two for each of them, iirc. Some of them are just comic relief (Corentin, Lionel) some are more emotional and really develop the character's background (Narve, Ezana)

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I finished the true final boss last night, and was impressed that seemingly every single character has special dialogue for it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
There's nothing on this soundtrack that's Decisive Battle 2 really.

Ambient stuff is about as good as Octopus Botherer though.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

The soundtrack is very fitting, as though I'm playing a strategy game, if that makes sense.

The last few classes you unlock with high conviction definitely show where the team got some of their influence. Geomancer, Calculator, and a character with ally/enemy [Galaxy] Stop Time..

Some observations about them:

-Decimal and Quahaug (as well as any character that receives a benefit from waiting) have very strong synergy. Benedict -> Act Twice into Decimal, Decimal moves up some, uses his abilities as needed, moves back. Then Quahaug - Stop Time. Use Quahaug's second and third turns to do whatever--if enough TP, toss an In Due Course out or two, item heal, etc. Best used after inflicting an enemy or two with poison.

-Quahaug is also secretly a great healer: for someone like Erador, who will get saddled with every status effect known to man and have his HP destroyed by an errant magic attack or two, rewinding a turn for him turns into a status and HP heal wrapped into one.

-Giovanna seems to be mostly good in battles where the land is mostly flat, and enemies can funnel in. Those are maps where you definitely want to use fire or ice to your advantage to slow the enemy down. I just wish more ground types were covered, or they snuck in "air" somehow. It would fit thematically with her storyline, and fill in stuff like "roof" tiles. She's like a hearty version of Narve.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

So about Giovanna: Her real power is Gaea's Rage. Namely, it has infinite range, as long as it's not hitting the height limit, and hits like a truck. It also has no terrain restrictions. It's a better version of Archibald's piercing arrow. If anything, this makes her better for chokepoints than open maps, because you can maximally line people up.

Also, her terrain problems are not as bad as they seem - on downtime turns you can toss an icestone or firestone down to make better terrain for her wherever you need it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm not like, proud of abusing a big fuckin' bird to win Chapter 7, but I'm not upset, either. Maybe bring more anti-bird stuff next time, lady.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

New Game + does not gently caress around. I barely beat the chapter 1 battle after losing everyone but Serenoa lol

Chapter 2 was easy but Chapter 3 (Aesfrost) kicked my rear end once again. I’m kinda rushing to chapter 5 so I can see the scouting menu.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

New Game + does not gently caress around. I barely beat the chapter 1 battle after losing everyone but Serenoa lol

Chapter 2 was easy but Chapter 3 (Aesfrost) kicked my rear end once again. I’m kinda rushing to chapter 5 so I can see the scouting menu.

Note that on NG+ the encampment is available right away and there are new, higher level mock battles you can use to level up if need be.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I just started and I'm wondering if you'll get enough money/material to upgrade everything or do I have to be very selective? Is there anything I should get immediately or avoid? The rank 1 upgrades don't seem powerful at first glance.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

poe meater posted:

I just started and I'm wondering if you'll get enough money/material to upgrade everything or do I have to be very selective? Is there anything I should get immediately or avoid? The rank 1 upgrades don't seem powerful at first glance.

In one playthrough absolutely not enough to upgrade everyone. Stick with the folks you like and focus on them. NG+ gives you lots of opportunities to upgrade, though.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

poe meater posted:

You have to be selective. Upgrade costs scale up significantly with each upgrade, so it's usually best to grab a single rank 1 upgrade on everyone and then move on to a single rank 2, etc.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Has anyone figured out what the damage formulas actually are? Like how much additional damage does a point of strength add, how much does defence help, is weapon potency better or worse, how much damage does a crit add?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

poe meater posted:

The level one materials get much easier to obtain later on, but the increasing cost means, at most, you'd unlock two level 1 skills for a given character through your first playthrough.

I would highly recommend focusing on upgrades that provide more than just a single stat increase, unless you are working toward boosting their key stat. For example, I unlocked Frederica's Clear Skies, Damage Up, which is more worthwhile than +1 strength (that doesn't affect your magic attack).

Fangz posted:

Has anyone figured out what the damage formulas actually are? Like how much additional damage does a point of strength add, how much does defence help, is weapon potency better or worse, how much damage does a crit add?

Shouldn't be too hard to figure out, I may take a few moments today to do some calculations. I can say that (high conviction recruit) Quahaug's delayed damage attack appears to hit for 25% health.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
For what it's worth worth, I noticed when switching from Hard to Normal that the enemy's stats didn't change at all, so I'm guessing that there's just a hidden multiplier on final damage values (ie: you take more damage and enemies take less). So, uh, take that into account when you do your damage formula testing.

Salt Maker
Feb 5, 2006
Halogen was already taken
I am getting absolutely wrecked on the March of the Smugglers battle map

I've been running with Hughette, the blacksmith, Shaman lady, Wizard kid and the core Characters (except Roland), but the daughter archer and smuggler bowmen are doing way too much DPS.

Any suggestions on strategy or comp? I've tried it three ways, first try to take out the healers through flanking, second do trap knock back on their melee units and dad and pick them off at a distance, and finally ladder to take the high ground and rain death from above. Each time my melee forces get poisoned or arrowed OR the backline gets wrecked by arrows. Would provoking the smugglers help (if the tank character can survive in range) or should I just do more mental battles? Because most of my crew are lvl. 11-13.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Running Benedict route this time and forcing myself to use Jens, Piccoletta... and I guess Giovanna since I just unlocked her. Avlora battle in chapter 7 ended with the famed and powerful general getting bounced into a wall by a spring trap.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Decoy is real good, piccoletta owns

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I cried at her last character story because I'm a baby

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
While I liked this game a lot, the Golden Route

Requiring me to grind up a bunch of nobodies I left on the bench for a reason is kinda taking the wind out of my sails. Now whenever I so much as think about booting up the game I remember all the grinding I need to do and I just cannot be bothered.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Captain Oblivious posted:

While I liked this game a lot, the Golden Route

Requiring me to grind up a bunch of nobodies I left on the bench for a reason is kinda taking the wind out of my sails. Now whenever I so much as think about booting up the game I remember all the grinding I need to do and I just cannot be bothered.

Yeah this is a bit of a downer.

fwiw with the cliff map you can vanguard scarf/quietus/Now! three turns for a character and then immediately quit out pretty easily. That's how I did it.

NG+ is kinda showing me how stark the difference is between the cast that does stuff and the part of the cast that doesn't.

Most of the "Tanks" in particular don't really hold up on Hard. Erador/Groma/Lionel/Flanagan all feel really useless when I could be piling in more damage to actually take down threats, given how quickly they cave.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Natural 20 posted:

fwiw with the cliff map you can vanguard scarf/quietus/Now! three turns for a character and then immediately quit out pretty easily. That's how I did it.

NG+ is kinda showing me how stark the difference is between the cast that does stuff and the part of the cast that doesn't.

Most of the "Tanks" in particular don't really hold up on Hard. Erador/Groma/Lionel/Flanagan all feel really useless when I could be piling in more damage to actually take down threats, given how quickly they cave.

You're clearly not feeding Erador 4 TP a turn and turning him in to an immortal crowd control god.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Natural 20 posted:

I appreciate the tip and will probably do exactly that when I can summon the will to go on as it were :v:

It's gonna be a bit of a drag but I'll get past it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The tanks aren't great because of tanking, they're great because inflicting Fury on mages and healers is basically cheating and I love doing it.