Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

nobody was saying that zach braff was doing anything illegal or that a 26 year old woman can't consent to a relationship. sheesh you suck at reading.

zach braff is just being a big ol' creep by dating someone 20 years younger than him and almost literally half his age.

Is Florence being a big ol’ creep too? Dating a man almost literally twice her age?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Bust Rodd posted:

I can respect that if you’re really into the character and like having Bruce be smooth. I thought a Batman movie with hardly any Bruce Wayne was a really novel approach. Really drives home that Bruce just IS Batman. One of the things Marvel movies have shown is that you actually don’t need to spend ANY time on the hero’s “secret identity” because it turns out that’s not what a lot of audiences are going to big super hero action movies for. But certainly that leaves the people who really need Batman to be charming and gently caress a lot in the cold. I always thought those parts of Batman sucked.
?

who in this thread are you imagining said they wanted a smooth horny batman who fucks a lot?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i want a batman with huge ears that goes around shouting in a high pitched voice to locate criminals

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

hemale in pain posted:

Watching it now and it's insane

e: only read this after watching it

granny is played by chiang sheng in drag. I never noticed and I've watched like all the films he's in

yeah that was some extra dumb poo poo, I loved it. That ending, I was expecting his curvy wife to appear to help in the final finght, but noooo...

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Endless Trash posted:

Is Florence being a big ol’ creep too? Dating a man almost literally twice her age?

Don't worry, Florence is on the forums right now reading Sagebrush's posts and realising she can't date who she wants and that the issue with younger/older relationships isn't actually due to the normal power dynamic at play and she loves the wrong man. I'm pretty sure she is buying a ticket to whatever extremely obese Midwest suburb Sagebrush lives in right now to start dating them.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Bust Rodd posted:

But certainly that leaves the people who really need Batman to be charming and gently caress a lot

That’s not… that’s not what Bruce Wayne is about? I think :confused:

I mean as I understand it, the superhero secret identity problem is just the tension of leading a double life to do some good, while protecting their loved ones, and so on.

Of course it’s hard to get that balance right, so why not go full punchyman for modern sophisticated audiences who know what they want (big action and blue lasers)

But thinking about it more, I’m down for a Bruce Wayne movie where he fucks a lot

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I’ve been rodd busted

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I guess if you wanted a Batman that's a 7 foot tall orc, I could see why The Batman would be a disappointment, but I think the movie showed that Batman doesn't need to be a strong, handsome green orc man with rippling muscles and a loincloth and tusks. I never thought of it this way but that's pretty unfortunate for people who want to kiss orc Batman and imagine falling asleep to his rhythmic breathing with their heads rested on his broad, hairy chest

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Endless Trash posted:

You just know she's getting off while changing that geezers diapers

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Cubone posted:

?

who in this thread are you imagining said they wanted a smooth horny batman who fucks a lot?

It’s great when 2 straw men just yell at each other, you guys are made for each other

I did miss the Bruce parts, it was pretty funny when they do kinda reference it because it makes no sense. “Oh, it’s the Prince of Gotham!” What, this sad NEET? How?

I don’t get the complaint about Batman being bulletproof though; he’s almost always bulletproof, even back in ‘89

Movie felt LONG and I didn’t care about anything by the end, kinda ruined the scenes I did like after the fact

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

mallratcal posted:

You just know she's getting off while changing that geezers diapers
Real sick poo poo, her sitting on his knee while he tells long-winded stories about meeting The Shins

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Victis posted:

It’s great when 2 straw men just yell at each other, you guys are made for each other
????????

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Endless Trash posted:

Real sick poo poo, her sitting on his knee while he tells long-winded stories about meeting The Shins

How do we know Florence isn't just with Zach to get his estate when he kicks off in a year or two

Cubone
May 26, 2011

I guess since I'm having an argument and shouting now, apparently, I should admit that I haven't even seen the movie and have no opinion about it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Cubone posted:

?

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Victis posted:

Every previous incarnation of Bruce Wayne is “Debonair Playboy”, if that doesn’t DIRECTLY translate to “smooth and fucks a lot” then I guess I don’t know what either of those words mean? This Batman, the Battinson, is the only cinema Bruce Wayne who isn’t smooth and doesn’t gently caress (I didn’t see the Ben Affleck Batmans and literally forgot about them until this moment while posting). I’m not making up a strawman, this is literally how George Clooney, Adam West, Michael Keaton, Kevin Conroy, AND Christian Bale ALL played Bruce Wayne and only Robert Pattinson’s Batman chooses to just skip the whole “parties & yachts & models” lifestyle to go ham on breaking people’s arms. I respect that.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

mallratcal posted:

How do we know Florence isn't just with Zach to get his estate when he kicks off in a year or two

“And then a man named Professor Cocks would teach me a lesson every episode!”

“Okay Zach let’s get you to bed”

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Bruce Wayne just exists to explain where Batmans money comes from and what he does when he's not jacking off in the bat cave, and occasionally he discovers plot points at a party.

Arkham Asylum worked fine without Bruce for like 40 hours, a movie can do without him for 90 minutes.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Batman The Brave and the Bold was three seasons long, had maybe one Bruce appearance, and it loving owned. Case closed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I liked the film’s take that there is really no ‘Bruce Wayne’ at this point in time, because he’s super hosed up and only does Batman stuff. That changes by the end so I imagine we get more regular Bruce Wayne scenes in the sequel.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Change? hosed up imo

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
My dad's a comic fan from way back, and I remember him complaining once about the Tim Burton movies having too much Bruce and not enough Batman.

Pattman's Bruce actually reminded me a lot of Michael Keaton's reclusive weirdo version, which I liked.

Overall I did like The Batman, though more than anything it did put me in the mood to watch the 60s Batman.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mask of the Phantasm has quite a lot of Bruce and it's the best Batman movie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Keromaru5 posted:

My dad's a comic fan from way back, and I remember him complaining once about the Tim Burton movies having too much Bruce and not enough Batman.

Pattman's Bruce actually reminded me a lot of Michael Keaton's reclusive weirdo version, which I liked.

Overall I did like The Batman, though more than anything it did put me in the mood to watch the 60s Batman.
Apparently Matt Reeves is a big fan of 60s Batman

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Star Wars

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Every previous incarnation of Bruce Wayne is “Debonair Playboy”, if that doesn’t DIRECTLY translate to “smooth and fucks a lot” then I guess I don’t know what either of those words mean? This Batman, the Battinson, is the only cinema Bruce Wayne who isn’t smooth and doesn’t gently caress (I didn’t see the Ben Affleck Batmans and literally forgot about them until this moment while posting). I’m not making up a strawman, this is literally how George Clooney, Adam West, Michael Keaton, Kevin Conroy, AND Christian Bale ALL played Bruce Wayne and only Robert Pattinson’s Batman chooses to just skip the whole “parties & yachts & models” lifestyle to go ham on breaking people’s arms. I respect that.
oh

no, Michael Keaton played him like a weirdo recluse iirc
he was portrayed as uncomfortable with his wealth and kind of a psycho

have you watched the Burton films recently?
like there's the scene where he's having dinner with kim bassinger, and they're awkwardly sitting at opposite ends of this huge banquet table in a dimly lit dining room? he's making small talk like asking her if she had a hard time "finding the house" (his gigantic, famous mansion) before admitting he's never even been in that room before
and she says something like "this big house isn't really 'you', is it?" and he evasively says "... some of it is." (like... referring to the cave)
and like he sleeps upside-down and there's the famous "wanna get nuts" scene

it's a good performance, he did some interesting things with it
my friends and I went to see it at a midnight movie screening ~8 years ago and I was pleasantly surprised because in my mind I'd kind of filed Batman in those movies away as being the least important part of his own films, because they always made such a big deal about the villains

I guess he did gently caress though. that's not the dot I would have connected but he did gently caress. no getting around that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Sagebrush posted:

according to that article Florence Pugh will be his co-star in the movie. She is also his girlfriend in real life. She is 26 and he is 46.

I assume that Zach braff will be the patriarch. So the two choices here are that Florence Pugh will be playing his wife, which is going to make no goddamn sense at all if she's supposed to have 12 children at age 26, or she's going to be playing his eldest daughter, which is also extremely creepy given that they're partners in real life.

Not to mention that obviously 26 and 46 violates the half your age plus seven rule.

What a creep

Pugh plays his wife in old age makeup

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/krangtnelson/status/1505350767363993604?s=21

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Dabir posted:

Mask of the Phantasm has quite a lot of Bruce and it's the best Batman movie.

Kevin Conroy is the ultra-GOAT

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's cool and good for Batman movies to have bits where he's Bruce
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjAFbEP0wK4

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Bust Rodd posted:

Every single one of the "debonair playboy" portrayals of Bruce Wayne don't hold a candle to the sexual tension between Pattinson's Batman and Zoë Kravitz's Catwoman. Keaton's Batman and Pfeiffer's Catwoman come the closest, but even that is a distant second. That kind of sexual tension is actual "this guy fucks" energy. Things like Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne showing up to a fancy restaurant with two models on his arm is what a 13 years old boy thinks "this guy fucks" energy is like.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I mean as I understand it, the superhero secret identity problem is just the tension of leading a double life to do some good, while protecting their loved ones, and so on.

Of course it’s hard to get that balance right, so why not go full punchyman for modern sophisticated audiences who know what they want (big action and blue lasers)

But thinking about it more, I’m down for a Bruce Wayne movie where he fucks a lot

The Patman makes it pretty clear in the text of the film that Batman is loving up by focusing on beating up gangsters and not doing more as Bruce Wayne. Aside from the climax of the whole film, there are other moments littered throughout the movie. For example, the specific Bruce Wayne task that we see him avoid doing is meeting with the accountants. Then we learn later that the Wayne Renewal Fund is being used to launder all of the city's dirty money. If Bruce Wayne had been paying more attention to that over the last two years instead of being Batman, there's a good chance he could have put a stop to a lot of corruption before The Riddler ever showed up.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Cubone posted:

?

*starts raising hand, reads the room, the awkwardly tries to play it off lowering arms again*

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

Every single one of the "debonair playboy" portrayals of Bruce Wayne don't hold a candle to the sexual tension between Pattinson's Batman and Zoë Kravitz's Catwoman. Keaton's Batman and Pfeiffer's Catwoman come the closest, but even that is a distant second. That kind of sexual tension is actual "this guy fucks" energy. Things like Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne showing up to a fancy restaurant with two models on his arm is what a 13 years old boy thinks "this guy fucks" energy is like.

The Patman makes it pretty clear in the text of the film that Batman is loving up by focusing on beating up gangsters and not doing more as Bruce Wayne. Aside from the climax of the whole film, there are other moments littered throughout the movie. For example, the specific Bruce Wayne task that we see him avoid doing is meeting with the accountants. Then we learn later that the Wayne Renewal Fund is being used to launder all of the city's dirty money. If Bruce Wayne had been paying more attention to that over the last two years instead of being Batman, there's a good chance he could have put a stop to a lot of corruption before The Riddler ever showed up.

I don't think that was the point. Or it was exactly the point maybe. Either way Cristian Bale batman is not really portrayed as a cool dude.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Endless Trash posted:

I don't even get the "big ol' creep" part, it's not like he's grooming a teenager here. She's almost 30 fer crissakes

Mock Zach Braff for his lovely acting and terrible sitcom that ran for way longer than it should've, but unless he's pulling a Seinfeld here I don't think it's creepy for two actual grown-rear end adults to date whoever they want, even if one of them is markedly older

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I don't think that was the point. Or it was exactly the point maybe. Either way Cristian Bale batman is not really portrayed as a cool dude.

I mean, in the movie it's pretty clear that Bruce Wayne is putting on a show of being a "billionaire playboy" and isn't even slightly interested in the women who are being his arm candy. But clearly a lot of people don't get that, though, based on the complaints ITT.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is it legal? Are they adults? Do you like Star Wars? If you give a poo poo about what adults consent to do, are an adult, and like Star Wars then you probably need to take a long hard look in the mirror.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

TIP posted:

the batman was amazing, very exciting to end the movie with batman fighting a few losers from the internet and then saving people from knee high water

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I found it ridiculously grim though, when everyone started drowning at the end and then the incels arrived to shoot them I thought it was too much. There was loads of kids at my screening lmao

I just got back from seeing The Batman, and I was surprised at how entertained I was and how well it was carrying the long runtime, only for the above to happen. The story the movie has been telling wraps up, and then an entirely new movie they didn't build up at all just kind of happens for another 30 minutes. It's like instead of being able to say "oh they could have cut this scene" or "they could have trimmed this subplot" here or there, they literally just threw all the extraneous cutting room floor crap together as the last act of the film. It was completely baffling.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it was worth sticking it out to the post-credits scene where the martian manhunter showed up, though

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
anyone else watching this show 'from' on 'epix'? wow that's an embarassing sentence to type

the name of the show is so stupid that it's impossible to search for online discussion even itt

i kinda like it though. i'm a sucker for non-euclidian spaces you can't leave and monsters that pretend to be people to trick them and shows that aren't afriad to show gratuitous child gore because that means that absolutely anything can happen

and usually to get that stuff would mean you'd have to put up some some absolutely dreadful characterization and bad dialogue and stupid plotlines but it's actually all pretty serviceable

people make really annoying decisions for sure, especially the main dad character but he's such a stereotypical stephen king protagonist that it's kinda even amusing if you let it be

some of the dialogue is pretty good too imo

"it's just like schrödinger's cat"
"what?"
"it's a thought experiment, imagine you have a cat in a box with a radioactive is-"
"obviously i know what loving schrödinger's cat is, what does that even have to do with anything?"

honestly i'm enjoying it a lot more than midnight mass so far

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I had a thought that I think this is the thread for:

I was trying to think of examples of characters in established and consistent romantic relationships in 80s cartoons and it struck me that the only one was The Baroness and Destro.

That can't be right, though, because that would mean the most visible hetero romantic coupling of 80s cartoons was between a German dominatrix and a dude in a gimp mask.

edit: I'll specify 'kids cartoons' as the genre rather than all cartoons. Otherwise, yeah, Homer and Marge.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

I had a thought that I think this is the thread for:

I was trying to think of examples of characters in established and consistent romantic relationships in 80s cartoons and it struck me that the only one was The Baroness and Destro.

That can't be right, though, because that would mean the most visible hetero romantic coupling of 80s cartoons was between a German dominatrix and a dude in a gimp mask.

Homer and Marge Simpson