Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Love that any discussion of this movie turns into people going "that thing you loved when it happened, that made the entire theater go silent with shock and sheer awe, it was actually objectively bad and you didn't like it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Arist posted:

This is a fundamentally backwards way of looking at storytelling. It's a good moment because it made me feel things, any attempt to strip it of meaning because of the logic of the universe is grognard horseshit.

The scene makes perfect sense, and I also don't need some idiotic overexplanation or justification for future non-use of it because who cares?????? Even Rise of Skywalker understood this, because they just basically went "wouldn't work if they're expecting it" and that's a FINE justification for why you can't do it again!

It was a neat scene and certainly got the intended reaction. Then I thought about it after I left the theater and the whole thing fell apart and it became extremely stupid.

I'm glad it works for you though.

Arist posted:

Love that any discussion of this movie turns into people going "that thing you loved when it happened, that made the entire theater go silent with shock and sheer awe, it was actually objectively bad and you didn't like it"

lmao

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7QZgH1eP2o

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Arist posted:

This is a fundamentally backwards way of looking at storytelling. It's a good moment because it made me feel things, any attempt to strip it of meaning because of the logic of the universe is grognard horseshit.

The scene makes perfect sense, and I also don't need some idiotic overexplanation or justification for future non-use of it because who cares?????? Even Rise of Skywalker understood this, because they just basically went "wouldn't work if they're expecting it" and that's a FINE justification for why you can't do it again!

MODS?!?!?!

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Arist posted:

I'm not trying to pick on you, because I did think it was a cool moment, but "the room of people sitting there silently continued to be silent when the scene happened!" doesn't seem like much of an indicator.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
And he wept, for there were no more paternity tests to administer:
https://mobile.twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1505351416105209856?t=LUp0bFaAleE8q1hxWR6gdQ&s=19

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ha this was on at work and we had to look up how long this show had been going on for.

That’s a pretty impressive run tbh.

I give him props for finding his niche and sticking to it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I used to work right down the street from where Maury was filmed. Used to always see the poster with his face on it, but sadly never ran into him on the street.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

All episodes for Amy Schumer's Hulu show Life & Beth are now up

Watching 2nd ep of Welcome to Flatch and we have a Youre the Worst reunion! Gretchen and Edgar

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 20, 2022

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, I've come around to really like Our Flag Means Death. It's very chill, but the character stuff is strong.

Agreed. A very sweet, chill show that manages to make me smile even when they kill off a character. Pour one out for Karl. RIP. It’s less fantastical than Wellington Paranormal but gives me a similar kind of relaxing chillax vibe.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Arist posted:

This entire era of the fandom has revolved around the creators going “hey look at this cool thing we did, isn’t that cool” and half the fandom immediately responding with “ACTUALLY that would never work and furthermore why wouldn’t they just do that all the time” just to be pedantic and find things to complain about and it is the most exhausting poo poo.

It’s not a loving documentary, the space bombers are allowed to spiral and crash just because it’s a cool homage, etc. you loving fucks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why don't jeddies kill people all the time by just sticking their laser sword against someone's torso and turn it on? That would be so cool. They should do more tricks with turning their sword on and off to do cool things. Otherwise it might as well be just another sword. Hire me to write a star war.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

All episodes for Amy Schumer's Hulu show Life & Beth are now up

Watching 2nd ep of Welcome to Flatch and we have a Youre the Worst reunion! Gretchen and Edgar

Someone who has me on their ignore list confirmed!!!!!!

Life & Beth episode 2 was better but I’m still not sure about it

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This entire era of the fandom has revolved around the creators going “hey look at this cool thing we did, isn’t that cool” and half the fandom immediately responding with “ACTUALLY that would never work and furthermore why wouldn’t they just do that all the time” just to be pedantic and find things to complain about and it is the most exhausting poo poo.

It’s not a loving documentary, the space bombers are allowed to spiral and crash just because it’s a cool homage, etc. you loving fucks.

It's a soap opera, set in space. A space opera, with spectacular things that go along with 'future war' like big explosions and space fighter dogfights and laser sword fights. And apparently I loving love soap operas because I can't get enough of it, but I'm up to my teeth with nerds who can't wrap their heads around creative licencing in storytelling. That said, the racist and misogynistic backlash that ruined a lot of the interesting notions that "The Force Awakens" ventured made the last two movies of the sequels 'paint by numbers, don't upset the fanbase' kind of shlock.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Laterite posted:

Overall it's just a fun turn-your-brain-off action show, kinda like Banshee but with a bit more pathos like Bosch.

A buddy recommended Reacher to me so I binged it and told him it was fun, dumb male-power-fantasy wish fulfillment. He seemed insulted that I'd make such a conclusion but... I mean, c'mon.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Arist posted:

It's even worse when people say that you only like it because it's part of your identity which has made it impossible for you to see any flaws with it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Do we have to ban Star Wars chat again?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yes please.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Last Jedi rules!!!!! Ok NOW ban it

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I can't get into this season of Raised by Wolves. I enjoyed the weirdness of the first season, but I just don't like any of the characters in this season, and I have a hard time watching shows if I can't find someone sympathetic, or a just bit of hope.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

it makes me crave death

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I'm happy with the jump in quality between episode 1 and 2 onwards, from what I've seen. Most of my concerns immediately dealt with. I guess they took the approach of just localizing a pilot episode and then going all in when it got picked up, which I'm fine with. It's definitely growing on me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AARD VARKMAN posted:

it makes me crave death

Doesn't it have it's own subforum or something?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Ben v Vader (star wars)*

Oh c'mon. It was fun at the time but it's rear end. It goes for like two minutes and looks exactly like what it is; two old dudes slowly waving a stick at each other. The perspective is also totally off, making it look like they're waving a toothpick around half the time because they don't know how to portray a lighsaber angled 45 degrees towards the camera.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Is Shining Vale the most aggressively edited television show ever made? Some of these transitions are like being hit in the face with a roller-coaster.

I don't hate the show or anything, but I also still can't tell if its any good. It's not particularly funny, it's definitely not scary, but it is weird, and that counts for something. Courteney Cox and Greg Kinnear have this weird chemistry going on too, where you get the sense that their characters low key hate each other, and probably their kids, but are very comfortable with that and kinda enjoy it.

That said, the show has taken far too long to reveal the thing everyone knew was going on before from the minute they'd heard of the show, and I'm not sure why. :ghost:

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Looten Plunder posted:

Oh c'mon. It was fun at the time but it's rear end. It goes for like two minutes and looks exactly like what it is; two old dudes slowly waving a stick at each other. The perspective is also totally off, making it look like they're waving a toothpick around half the time because they don't know how to portray a lighsaber angled 45 degrees towards the camera.

why wouldn't lightsabers be thin viewed from certain angles?

I see two seasoned warriors probing each other for weaknesses. it has tons of drama without resorting to cheap theatrics.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can we not just all agree that anyone who says the TLJ throne room fight is bad is an absolute lunatic

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ruddiger posted:

It says a lot of a movie if it’s original idea is just adding light speed to this guys death scene.
What is execution, precious?
Scale of damage, composition of scene, character arc. Nah none of that matter.

misguided rage posted:

"the room of people sitting there silently continued to be silent when the scene happened!" doesn't seem like much of an indicator.
I saw it at a 1am showing at the Chinese the day it premiered.

Lol if you think that was a room full of people silently watching that film.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Is the Star Wars discussion done yet? I'm scared.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Fear leads to anger.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Please post your favorite hilt and fighting style. In order of effectiveness.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
people who liked raver dance red curtain room are the same ones who said episode 2 was good because of the fights and lightsabers

Vitruvian Manic posted:

why wouldn't lightsabers be thin viewed from certain angles?

Lightsabers would be much scarier if the light reaching your eyes and the blade were one in the same.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rhyno posted:

Doesn't it have it's own subforum or something?

They don't let you talk about it there either

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Only in death does doody end.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DogsInSpace! posted:

Only in death does doody end.

"In my father's house there are many bathrooms" - John 14:2

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Looten Plunder posted:

It's an homage to old japanese samurai film fights, im pretty sure. It's not meant to be wowzers so cool-- that wasn't the movie Lucas was trying to make.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It also makes lightsabers look scary and dangerous, you'd have to be a total jackass to swing a lightsabre around like they do in any star wars that isn't New Hope. Just assholes constantly chopping their own limbs and digits off. You should recognize Jedi by the number of cauterized digits they have, like a missing yakuza pinkie, you see some robed freak with a robot hand and a limp you know this guy loves to lightsabre rave and if you think their body looks hosed up, you should see the other guys.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Man I had no idea star wars fans were as mad and sad as star trek fans. Television was a mistake.

My child is obsessed with the witch episode of bubble guppies. I require more witch related child content.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There should be a cartoon of Terry Pratchett's Witch-based Discworld companion to go along with other critically-acclaimed adaptations of Discworld - but that's all stuck in a halfway-decent universe, not ours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'd use a lightsaber to reheat pizza rolls