Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Dizz posted:

E: also RE: Sleeve talk, I really want to like Dragon Shields but they are so finicky. they look gorgeous for like 5 minutes and then instantly get scratched just from shuffling. they're also kinda dirt magnets.

DS Mattes? Really? That seems so strange to me. I have had no scuffs or dings or even much dirt, though I do use them slightly less than I used my old KMC sleeves which did get dirty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Fellblade posted:

You can dislike his content all you like, fair enough, but I'll assume you are not aware that he is Autistic / has Asperger's syndrome and is just trying to live his life.

Ah, that explains why he seems to not have a filter sometimes. I thought he was just kinda arrogant

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

FYI now that the alt color has been chosen for the deckbox, in order to get it, you'll be paying an extra $4 for it. Also in order to get multiples when you're modifying your pledge it will let you chose multiples in the modifying orders portion. It's labeled as Student Exclusive.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Batterypowered7 posted:

Someone in this thread made this exact statement about Katana sleeves, which also look great and have good shuffle feel. I do remember the non-matte Dragon Shields getting really dirty, really quickly way back when.

Yeah I saw that. Does anyone know the measurments of the Katanas in comparison to the Eclipses? I really REALLY love the short cuts on them and how it's almost a near perfect fit.

Magnetic North posted:

DS Mattes? Really? That seems so strange to me. I have had no scuffs or dings or even much dirt, though I do use them slightly less than I used my old KMC sleeves which did get dirty.

I've had several so far. Mattes, Art Mattes, and Dual Mattes. I swear these things loving materialize dust from nowhere while sitting in a Boulder or a Gamegenic. they also get fine scratches when shuffled for me as well.

I've also had problems with production quality on some dual matte sleeves as well. some being cut poorly or having a weird lump dot on the back that can be felt easily. usually one defect is fine since I have commanders in another sleeve but if 2-3 get hosed then the entire box is unusable for my commander deck which is not that much of a problem since i can use them for my trade binder.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Dizz posted:

Yeah I saw that. Does anyone know the measurments of the Katanas in comparison to the Eclipses? I really REALLY love the short cuts on them and how it's almost a near perfect fit.

Can't compare them to Eclipses. The Gamegenic sleeves seem to be a tad bit shorter than Dragon Shields, though, so maybe give one of their premium mattes a try? They go for $7.50 for a pack of 100.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I love the feel of fresh katanas but every little ding and fingernail scrape and rough shuffle shows up immediately, the sleeves look legit makred//ruined after a month or two, IME, so I stopped buying them and just went back to dragon shields or eclipse

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
i don't dig the katanas as much because my dragon inner sleeves don't fit in right. they're awesome for the price for sure.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Somewhere there's an old game store that closed down with dozens of cases of circa 2001 Ultra Pro Metallics in the storeroom just waiting to be found, and the day it's discovered will be the happiest of my life

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/hate_your_deck/status/1504849183244660737?s=21

this is a good thread with a lot of support for trans & queer audiences. Looks like the work Lynch has put into representation has bought the show a lot of goodwill in spite of recent events. If Amy the Amazonian is still throwing in with him then perhaps the show is not doomed after all?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The contrast between the Twitter comments and the video's YouTube comments is kinda wild.

EDIT: It looks like all the bad youtube comments got either downvoted into oblivion so they don't show up near the top or otherwise hidden so that's great.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 19, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Am I misunderstanding? Isn't this the person who had the sex pest accusations crop up recently? Why haven't they just gone to ground?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

Am I misunderstanding? Isn't this the person who had the sex pest accusations crop up recently? Why haven't they just gone to ground?

He made a really genuine apology and the woman publicly forgave him for it afaik

EDIT: it was fake as hell, gently caress this rear end in a top hat.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 20, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
First off, with respect, please don’t use the term “sex pest”, because it makes serious things like sexual harassment or assault seem cutesy & harmless. I know that’s not anyone’s intention, to reduce the severity of what happened, but I really think that term is overall harmful and kind of useless.

2ndly, I would rather live in a world in which people have a path forward to redemption instead of one chance to not walk the road to perdition. There literally has to be a way for people who have been lovely in the past to become good in the present or future. The idea that someone should just evaporate into the ether and dumpster their career and move to Monster Island because it comes out that they used to be a piece of poo poo isn’t the way you cultivate a healthy community.

3rdly, in the last few days lots of women/trans folk/POC folks have come out in support of Lynch basically saying what I just said. “It sucks what Lynch did, but that’s not the Lynch dumping his entire life into elevating female and POC voices in the magic community today, our Lynch is better than that, let’s give him a chance.”. People like Rebel, Amazon, Emmy, SquirrelGirl etc, ie the people I think we should be listening to in this situation.

This is literally the first time I’ve ever seen a gaming/nerd community attempt this way, way more sane and reasonable approach to “canceling” someone than simply demanding that they self-exile, and I really hope it works out for them, because that eventually means a stronger community in the future.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I am just shocked that the MTG community appears to be operating with such comparative restraint and/or affording such grace (without commenting on if that is correct or not). That's why I literally thought "It must be some other person named Lynch" for a while there. It was literally inconceivable to me that it had turned around so quickly.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I agree it’s pretty surprising. I can’t recall seeing this kind of community pivot since before #MeToo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Big cEDH tourney in Brazil, I can’t follow much because I don’t speak Portuguese but another pretty unique Top 4!!

https://twitter.com/cedh_brasil/status/1505191009474523139?s=21

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Solid top 4. I still plan on building Krark/Sakashima, but Nymris has been on my mind too.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

What Lynch did sucked, but if he's genuine with his apology then i'd like to see him stick to that word, especially if he's being forgiven for his past actions and continues to be a supportive person.

it's much better than seeing someone dig themselves into a bottomless hole on and on again and not getting any consequence whatsoever. I also hope his edh play improves because he seems to stumble a lot.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bust Rodd posted:

I agree it’s pretty surprising. I can’t recall seeing this kind of community pivot since before #MeToo

Dipshits who are afraid of getting "cancelled" could learn from this. If you build up good will with the community and make actual efforts to otherwise be inclusive and a pillar of your community, people are a lot more willing to forgive you. Doubling down always makes it worse

edit: they of course will not learn from this

Heath fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 19, 2022

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

The problem is that most of the dipshits afraid of getting "cancelled" have no idea what it actually means. They take it to mean "person did something bad and is being ostracized" and completely miss the "and has no remorse/didn't learn a drat thing" part of it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Shortest Path posted:

He made a really genuine apology and the woman publicly forgave him for it afaik

Yeah, about that

https://twitter.com/BenitaRobledo/status/1505221443369451523

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

:yikes:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YQ-xp5DSkWUes5iAHm0QDABl8Z6cgXHn/view

quote:

Trigger warning: Disordered eating, body dysmorphia, coercion

Recently I have been made aware of a Buzzfeed article addressing actors who were pressured into filming nudity and sex scenes they were not comfortable with. The writer of the Buzzfeed article pulled quotes from a story I consented to in 2018 by the Washington Post, and did not reach out to me for comment, or even to let me know it was being published.

Since the article was published Mike reached out through his representation to apologize. I accepted his apology, believing at the time it was sincere and motivated by his time in therapy as he said. I did not realize that after the article was released he began lashing out at me on Twitter through the I hate Your Deck twitter handle. I did not realize that after the MTG community rejected his reactions, he changed his words. I didn't realize that it took all of this happening over the course of 2 days before he decided to reach out and apologize to me.

I took his email at face value and believed him when he said he’d been working through this in therapy. I have spent lots of time in therapy myself processing this, it was many years ago, and I was happy to accept his apology and move forward.

However, after reading his public statement, tweets he has since deleted, and having been asked by his representation if he could tell Buzzfeed I don’t want my name in the article either so Mike can avoid getting “canceled”, I no longer think the apology was made in good faith.

Key events in his statement were left out that point to his actions being abusive, coercive, and intentional rather than a simple disagreement or misunderstanding.

The events Mike left out of his statement are as follows:

● I have a history of disordered eating and body dysmorphia and was triggered by seeing my full frontal nudity in the film. This is why I asked for the nudity to be cut. I shared this with Mike and was met with the quote from the article. I looked so hot so many guys wanted to F–k me, etc etc

● He suggested prior to shooting any footage I would have full right of refusal on nudity no questions asked

● Prior to shooting he suggested shooting it both ways, once nude, once in a tshirt, but on the day of shooting said there wasn’t enough time to do this and instead he’d shoot around the nudity so he could cut it together if I decided against it.

● While shooting the nudity however whenever I checked in to make sure he was getting enough non-nude coverage he responded by saying I would love the movie so much I would want the nudity in.

● The final clothed version that was shot after I saw the film was not a capitulation to me, it was what he suggested and what we both agreed to prior to filming the movie.

These are the really big ones he left out

● As retaliation for refusing to allow the nudity Mike scrapped a personal project of mine that he directed and shot. He told me that if he didn’t get his nudity, I wouldn’t get my footage. To this day I’ve never seen a single frame.

● In 2016 when I won Best Actress at the Texas Hill Country Film Festival, Mike refused to give me my award unless I agreed to go to the film’s premier and pose on the red carpet next to him.

These last two events are very important as they point to a clear desire to hurt me and abuse his power as a director to get me to do what he wanted. They were not mentioned at all by Mike and so I’d like to expand on it.

As filming for Dependant’s Day was wrapping up, I created, wrote, and produced a web series with two women who were great friends of mine. We needed a cinematographer and I approached Mike. Dependant’s Day had wrapped, but we hadn’t come to the question of nudity yet and so our relationship was still positive. He agreed on the condition he could also direct. My friends and I put a lot of time, creativity, and money into this project while Michael came and shot one day.

Soon after shooting the first episode of my web series I saw the first cut of Dependant’s Day in theaters and asked that the full frontal nudity be removed, per our agreement. I knew he’d be disappointed, but I thought as my friend he would understand the pain it caused me and would be supportive.

This wasn’t an actress changing her mind, it was a woman who’d spent years battling anorexia not wanting to spiral back into one of the darkest periods of her life. He very bluntly told me if he didn’t get his nudity I wouldn’t get my footage. If I took something from him he would take something from me.

That is not a disagreement, that is blackmail.

In 2016 he finished the film and began showing it in festivals. When I won Best Actress at the Texas Hill Country Film Festival I was excited. Despite the abuse I suffered at the hands of Michael David Lynch I was proud of the work I did in the film. I asked my managers to reach out to Mike and pick up the award for me. When they called he was belligerent on the phone with them and demanded that I come to the opening of the film’s limited theatrical release. He wanted me on the red carpet smiling for pictures next to him without ever having addressed his actions or apologized in any way. He told my representation that he would bring the award to the red carpet and only there would he release it to me.

That is not a disagreement, that is a pattern of abuse.

When my story first appeared in The Washington Post in 2018, a fellow castmate learned what Mike had done, spoke to him about it, and then asked Mike to give him the award so he could pass it along to me. I received the award and an apology from my cast mate who had no knowledge at the time of what had happened or had anything to do with the abuse. Yet, he understood the suffering Mike’s actions had caused. Not a word of apology from Mike then either.

This is not a disagreement, this is a man who despite being called out privately refused to apologize to me.

I believe people can get help for their harmful behavior, and I believe in the ability of people to change their harmful behavior. However I find it curious that Mike found the will to apologize only after he’d been publicly called out by the MTG community and his livelihood was being threatened.

I will not allow his representation to speak to Buzzfeed and tell them I don’t want to be in the article either so that Mike can clear his name. Despite Mike’s (dubious) apology these things happened and I will not erase them from public record. I can’t erase the effect these things have had on my mental health, friendships, and career and so I will not erase them for his comfort. If his youtube channel suffers because of his behavior, that’s on him. I did not ask for this information to resurface nor did I know that it was happening, but I applaud the Magic the Gathering community for wanting to hold him accountable. It is not cancel culture to be held accountable, they are consequences. Consequence is not cancelation. I suffered consequences because I said no to nudity when I had pre-negotiated that right. Friends of mine suffered consequences when footage was scrapped, and a project was destroyed.

Instead of allowing his representation to speak to Buzzfeed for me, I am making a statement in support of myself, and all of the other women out there who have experienced the kind of abusive behavior I went through in 2013,2014, again in 2016 and 2018 and finally today in 2022 at the hands of Michael David Lynch.

Given that Mike’s first reaction when this information resurfaced was to lash out at me on Twitter and he only apologized to me after his community rejected his statements. Given that after I accepted his rep asked if he could speak to Buzzfeed and tell them that I don’t want to be in the article either so Mike can have his name removed…Given that Mike’s statement still does not reflect the full scope of his abuse…Given all of these things I do not believe Mike is sincere in his apology or perhaps even fully understands the depth of harm he caused. Given all of this, I’m retracting my acceptance of his apology.

Mike, I do not forgive you.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The degree to which that completely sucks is off the charts.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

yeah okay gently caress lynch

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

@Dizz

Here's another comparison of Gamegenic and Dragon Shield sleeves:

I know you were looking for shorter sleeves, and the Gamegenics are noticeably shorter.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
My K&T landfall kings deck is long overdue for its own box and it uses a ton of tokens and dice and bullshit. That, and I like to encourage non-lovely MTG people, so I'm in for one of the Prof's boxes. I eagerly await learning how magnets work. :ohdear:

Also, re: sleeve chat: I almost exclusively use Ultra Pro Pro-Matte sleeves. They shuffle really well and resist wear better than any others I've tried.

Also also: gently caress Michael Lynch.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Batterypowered7 posted:

@Dizz

Here's another comparison of Gamegenic and Dragon Shield sleeves:

I know you were looking for shorter sleeves, and the Gamegenics are noticeably shorter.

I think next week i will buy a pack of Katana sleeves and then compare them to Dragon Shields and Ultra Pro Eclipse.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

In a vacuum do you guy cut Miscast or Dispel first?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Holy poo poo that's hosed up

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Him and a handful of his sycophants are running maximum damage control in his discord right now insisting he's actually good and did nothing wrong. gently caress these people.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

fadam posted:

I'd cut miscast. It'll hit those big tap out sorceries but dispel will always hit countspells.

Edit: also a lot of the better single target removal is instant speed, dispel will always hit those as well. Miscast might be better early game, but unless you really want to mess up your opponent's cultivate, I'd lean towards preparing for the later game where it's entirely possible that a player has stalled out but has counter magic in hand. Passing on 5-6 mana up feels bad but it happens.

Darkoni fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 20, 2022

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

fadam posted:

You cut both for Disrupt :getin:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Goddamn, gently caress Lynch

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I made my daughter a Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist deck for Yule. She had an idea for a deckbox for it, so we sat down to make it this morning. She's big into paper crafting: origami, collages, etc. I also suck at drawing, so this worked out alright.

The background is just a solid sheet of paper cut to fit the top of this generic, unfinished wood box we got at a craft store. She picked out all the colors. I had to put the head together because the eyes and nose and ears had too many tiny pieces that were hard for a seven-year-old to cut and glue.

It's hard to tell in the photos, but Mirri's armor is made of a shiny paper that isn't as shiny as the blade (see below) but definitely reflects light. I was going to go with a light brown for leather armor, but my daughter wanted more shiny poo poo. :sparkles:

I was going to take my chances with using aluminum foil for the blade, but my daughter had some origami paper that had a silvery metallic backing. We used that and it worked way better than aluminum foil probably would have. I left the sails of the Weatherlight in the background out because I figured it would crowd the composition. But that left us with some open space up in the corner. My daughter had a good idea for filing that in:

The mana symbols are just cut out from two basic lands.

My daughter is going to paint the sides and bottom a solid green color, and then we'll hit the whole thing with a clear coat to seal it.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Railing Kill posted:

My daughter is going to paint the sides and bottom a solid green color, and then we'll hit the whole thing with a clear coat to seal it.

That's awesome as hell.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Railing Kill posted:

I made my daughter a Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist deck for Yule. She had an idea for a deckbox for it, so we sat down to make it this morning. She's big into paper crafting: origami, collages, etc. I also suck at drawing, so this worked out alright.

The background is just a solid sheet of paper cut to fit the top of this generic, unfinished wood box we got at a craft store. She picked out all the colors. I had to put the head together because the eyes and nose and ears had too many tiny pieces that were hard for a seven-year-old to cut and glue.

It's hard to tell in the photos, but Mirri's armor is made of a shiny paper that isn't as shiny as the blade (see below) but definitely reflects light. I was going to go with a light brown for leather armor, but my daughter wanted more shiny poo poo. :sparkles:

I was going to take my chances with using aluminum foil for the blade, but my daughter had some origami paper that had a silvery metallic backing. We used that and it worked way better than aluminum foil probably would have. I left the sails of the Weatherlight in the background out because I figured it would crowd the composition. But that left us with some open space up in the corner. My daughter had a good idea for filing that in:

That’s awesome as hell.

You can let your daughter know some internet folks thought she did a great job.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Railing Kill posted:

Wholesome as gently caress.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You’re a good dad with a smart kid, good job

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

hopefully that's a cedh deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dizz posted:

hopefully that's a cedh deck.

:barf: Let the kid play jank if she wants to! Jank is fun!

On non rear end in a top hat news-ish stuff

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tolarian/the-academic-133-xl/posts/3459905

Faculty package has been revealed and reached to be a 0-99 life counter and some nice looking +/+ and some -/- tokens with the TCC logo,

Next stretch goal is a nice looking Merfolk token for everyone.