Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

jet engine design is bat poo poo crazy. back as an undergrad Jesus twenty years ago now, I remember I got to read about GE using evolutionary algorithms for turbine design (we were learning how to hand calculate enthalpy changes between turbine stages at the time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

jet engine design is bat poo poo crazy. back as an undergrad Jesus twenty years ago now, I remember I got to read about GE using evolutionary algorithms for turbine design (we were learning how to hand calculate enthalpy changes between turbine stages at the time)

Jet engines are funny in that I can draw and explain how one works in about five minutes and there's nothing particularly complicated or hard to understand about the concepts but if you ask me to show the math on how it works I start hearing the flashback music from Kill Bill

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The dates in that article are mood reminder.

The the idea started in 1960, first got used in a one off military prototype in 1969, mass production for military started somewhere around 1974, for civilian aircraft sometime in 1980, and finally applied to civilian energy production in 1995.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

GlassEye-Boy posted:

there’s been significant progress on the metallurgy associated with turbine blades evidenced by the roll out of the wholly domestic ws10 engines on thee latest Chinese fighters. chip manufacturing will come soon enough as well with the amount of investment china is putting into it.
China’s advanced J-20 stealth fighters are getting an engine upgrade, source says

Speaking of China's turbofan engines. It looks like trials for the WS-15 have finished and newer J-20s will be powered by it. All J-20s with Russia's AL-31F will be replaced with the WS-15. I'm not sure from the wording if that means just replacing the engine of the plane or decommissioning those with AL-31Fs as more WS-15 powered J-20s roll off the factory floor.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How many more years till russia, china, and/or india, africa, etc pose a serious threat to the united states?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the 2083 War of Haitian Aggression

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
easily less than a decade given the last 11 years of political stagnation inside of the imperial core (the united states) while all adversaries ( the periphery (russia, china, africa, india, brazil, etc) developed to the same level of societal development as the imperial core.

ErrorInvalidUser has issued a correction as of 05:12 on Mar 20, 2022

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

but if you ask me to show the math on how it works I start hearing the flashback music from Kill Bill

it’s just thermo turbines < controls (rockets) < combustion inside the cylinder

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s just thermo turbines < controls (rockets) < combustion inside the cylinder

but why are the turbines least

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

How many more years till covid continue to pose a serious threat to the united states?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

i say swears online posted:

but why are the turbines least

thermo is algebra and calc.

controls is diff eqs. gently caress Laplace transforms i hated them

combustion is the chamber is a model in a computer you don’t get to grasp fully. I mean diff eqs is hard but you can do it yourself with a pen and paper. that combustion in the cylinder model you don’t get to be able to have the whole thing in your head. and I’m saying this as a guy who used to be able have all the systems of like a nuclear reactor in his head.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

How many more years till russia, china, and/or india, africa, etc pose a serious threat to the united states?

negative 5

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

thermo is algebra and calc.

controls is diff eqs. gently caress Laplace transforms i hated them

combustion is the chamber is a model in a computer you don’t get to grasp fully. I mean diff eqs is hard but you can do it yourself with a pen and paper. that combustion in the cylinder model you don’t get to be able to have the whole thing in your head. and I’m saying this as a guy who used to be able have all the systems of like a nuclear reactor in his head.

you might be the person to ask: in tom clancy's the sum of all fears, he spends like ten pages at the climax of the book going over the first milisecond of a nuclear bomb and all the things that take place. there's a disclaimer at the back of the book that said minor details were changed to stop it from being a nuclear anarchist's cookbook. i haven't read it since i was fourteen but rolled my eyes at the time. was this a credible worry in any way?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

i say swears online posted:

. i haven't read it since i was fourteen but rolled my eyes at the time. was this a credible worry in any way?

I’ve only got text books about reactors.

here’s what I’d say about earlier Clancy. in the Cardinal of the Kremlin they sneak the guy out through Estonia in Tallinn . I was reading that book as a cadet. anchored on a prepo of the coast of Tallinn .

our launch boat was delivering us to and from the location in the book. I’ve got pictures of myself in front of the Russian war memorial the Estonians later tore down.

at one point I could have busted out books to check some of that stuff but time and alcohol.

I mean with him there is stuff he did the work on and stuff he pulled out of his rear end, and the ratio gets worse as the books progress.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

in the original version of the movie adaptation, the city that gets nuked was boston. they had to change it after test audiences kept cheering.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Look all I'm saying is that if a Marxist-Leninst offshoot of the PLO decided to nuke Detroit during the Superbowl I would at least spare a moment of :hmmyes:

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

in the original version of the movie adaptation, the city that gets nuked was boston. they had to change it after test audiences kept cheering.

that's not how you spell branson, missouri

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the UnDallasing, celebrated each year nationwide with parades and floats with contests for best missile float

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Blarghalt posted:

that's not how you spell branson, missouri

got a problem with silver dollar city, big shot?? dolly parton's stampede not enough for you? please

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Come hell or high water I will see the Las Vegas of the Bible Belt drown in nuclear fire

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

That happened seventy years ago. (minus africa, no big red buttons there)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtCc06NjG2g

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
Still can't believe Warthunder actually went past the 60s.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If I understand, their business model is based on people paying for different things to speed up progression through the vehicles.

Since the game starts with 1930’s tankettes, isn’t that hundreds of hours of play to get to modern MBTs?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

If I understand, their business model is based on people paying for different things to speed up progression through the vehicles.

Since the game starts with 1930’s tankettes, isn’t that hundreds of hours of play to get to modern MBTs?

I'm not sure what the time is now or how bad the monetization is. It's a pretty decent simulator (in simulator mode) even though it's a monetized free to play multiplayer game. I played ages ago and the progression seemed sane at the time. You got new planes, tanks, and spaags until the very top of the tree. Not sure if it's a weird moneypit kinda thing now or what.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I almost got to the jet planes a long time ago before realising my planes were all british.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I wish it had used all the research and modelling they did to place vehicles in the correct context - more like IL2 or DCS - rather than doing all that work just to jumble chronology in arcady game modes, with mixed national teams.

Why lovingly detail tanks only to place them in Quake maps, where only frontal armour matters and there’s a team of Swedish, Japanese and Italian tanks?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

It's a great game if you're fine with ww2 era. I started playing in 2014 and have probably 100 vehicles across all factions. zero jets or modern tanks. starting mid-tree it goes into the worst grind I've ever seen in a game

doesn't bother me since jets suck, my biplane skills are unmatched

when I knew I would be poopsocking for a month I'd spend a few bucks on premium for all the bonuses but I've never spent real money on extra vehicles, so maybe $30 over 8 years

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

I wish it had used all the research and modelling they did to place vehicles in the correct context - more like IL2 or DCS - rather than doing all that work just to jumble chronology in arcady game modes, with mixed national teams.

Why lovingly detail tanks only to place them in Quake maps, where only frontal armour matters and there’s a team of Swedish, Japanese and Italian tanks?
that's arcade mode; you can switch to realistic that locks you into a faction. I don't tank much but realistic mode for air is the absolute poo poo, I love it

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Warthunder is just the videogame extension of the forum wars between milhist gronks about which tank could beat which other tank. Context isn't important, just whether you can smack them together until one is the victor.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tank mode sucks and iunno why it's so popular. i want to do loop-de-loops and immelmans against a chump

boats are kinda fun in the lower tiers, but battleships are lame

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
the pt boat grind is loving awful but the torpedos are so satisfying

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Which version of the F-35 is going to be on sale as a premium when it inevitably appears.

I'm thinking it's the B version.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Goast posted:

the pt boat grind is loving awful but the torpedos are so satisfying

that like 1/ 20 chance you take out a big boy with torps is so fun

but frankly raking other small boats with machine guns with nearly gunkata-like phyics loving rules too

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shot

quote:

An ongoing legal battle over whether the military can force troops to get vaccinated against COVID-19 has left the Navy with a warship they say they can’t deploy because it is commanded by an officer they cannot fire.

COVID commander

The Feb. 28 filing alleges that the commander has already disregarded Navy regulations after he “exposed dozens of his crew to COVID-19 when he decided not to test himself after experiencing symptoms.”

A declaration filed in early February by Brandon states he visited the Navy commander aboard his ship in November and that the ship CO “could barely speak.”

After a briefing involving dozens of sailors in close quarters on the ship, the Navy commander admitted to his boss that he had a sore throat.

Brandon ordered him to get a COVID test, and the commander tested positive after telling his boss he had discussed his illness earlier with the ship’s corpsman, according to the declaration.

“By forcing the Navy to keep in place a commander of a destroyer who has lost the trust of his superior officers and the Navy at large, this Order effectively places a multi-billion-dollar guided missile destroyer out of commission,” defense attorneys wrote.

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2022/03/08/destroyer-cant-deploy-because-co-wont-get-covid-vaccine-navy-says/

Chaser

quote:

The U.S. military budget doesn’t allow aviators enough flight hours and sorties to be ready for battle.

Air Force flight hours and sortie rates for fighter pilots in 2020 “fell to historic lows” amid the pandemic, Mr. Venable writes in Heritage’s 2022 Index of U.S. Military Strength, “as the average line combat mission-ready fighter pilot received less than 1.5 sorties a week and 131 hours of flying time that year.” This works out to 10.9 hours a month (note: that's 132 hrs/year) a level Mr. Venable says is on par with the proficiency Russian pilots had during the Cold War.

Chinese fighter pilots appear to be flying 150 hours a year, Mr. Venable estimates based on available data and anecdotal reports from pilots who have operated in the region. Caveats are in order—Chinese pilots haven’t been tested in a fight. But consistent hours, Mr. Venable explains, “translate directly into combat capability.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/us-fly...wan-11645117426

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

the judge for this case is also the CDC can’t make cruise ships follow the covid rules they really wanted to follow guy.

this will be overturned. lol at the lawyer too, crazy assed young earth creationist.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

the judge for this case is also the CDC can’t make cruise ships follow the covid rules they really wanted to follow guy.

this will be overturned. lol at the lawyer too, crazy assed young earth creationist.

scotus not quiiiite crazy enough to let "yeah you have the right to hijack a warship" stand but dont worry we'll get there

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Wait, why can't they fire him?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Dawncloack posted:

crazy pants judge said no. because of a lawsuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Dawncloack posted:

States rights