Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

The Bloop posted:

The deep lore of Captain Toad is really what kept me playing

Yeah I was not expecting it to connect so emotionally to the master and commander verse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
The true arena in Kirby might be pretty difficult. The stone ability doesn’t seem to be in Forgotten Land. Can’t cheese the arena by being a invincible stone all the time.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

dry bowser is a completely different character and races cars and participated in the olympics with the living bowser

Punished Bowser

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The bonus challenges for Captain Toad is where it gets tricky, and if you're a real glutton for punishment they have the time trials too which require a perfect run to meet.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Palmtree Panic posted:

The true arena in Kirby might be pretty difficult. The stone ability doesn’t seem to be in Forgotten Land. Can’t cheese the arena by being a invincible stone all the time.

It's not, there are only 12 abilities and Stone wasn't in the roster. Likely because Cone Mouth effectively operates the same way.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I got back into the second Voice of Cards game and the story is way more interesting than in the first game. Some of the plot points were pretty predictable (the maidens have to sacrifice themselves to protect the islands) but some of them I'm still not completely sure what's going on (the people of Omega Village seem to want the island be destroyed, but even with that being the case, Greith flying into a rage at seeing Laty is still something I'm not sure of the reason for, even if there's some reason to want the island destroyed that wouldn't explain why he seems to hate her).

It's also much more difficult than the first game. It's not hard or anything, but the first game was so ridiculously easy that even bosses took no real effort or thought to beat. This game, I'm having to make good use of items and buffs/heals, and even came close to a party wipe on an optional boss, something that never happened in the first game (outside of the post-game bonus boss).

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Three more games coming to N64 Online:

Kirby 64, Pokemon Snap, and Mario Golf :dance:

Love me some Mario Golf.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 19, 2022

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Waffle! posted:

Love me some Mario Golf.

Oooh dude

That’s a good selection

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Waffle! posted:

Love me some Mario Golf.

Where the gently caress is my wave race Nintendo????

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I sank, I’m not even close to joking, thousands of hours into Mario golf 64 in college.

My roommates were big golf nerds and weren’t into video games and I was a big video game nerd and not into golf so it was the perfect intersection of our Venn diagrams

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 19, 2022

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Probably my decaying boomer brain but I feel like I’ll have more fun with the old Pokémon Snap than the new one. The new one had too much talking.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

bushisms.txt posted:

You've been overtaken!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The bonus challenges for Captain Toad is where it gets tricky, and if you're a real glutton for punishment they have the time trials too which require a perfect run to meet.

I 100%ed it on the WiiU and loved it

did they add anything for a Switch release?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

The Bloop posted:

I 100%ed it on the WiiU and loved it

did they add anything for a Switch release?

There's a few new levels that are Mario Odyssey themed

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

The switch version also removed the 3D world levels.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Waffle! posted:

Love me some Mario Golf.

It's getting good. Like I could get this now, just to futz around in these games. Still, I have a lot on my plate, and I can wait. They'll get me with Smash 64. That'll be the one. I wanna play Break the Targets and Board the Platforms.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Does the original switch dock work with the OLED switch and vice versa?

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Yes, any dock works.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m 99% sure the OLED is the exact same dimensions as a regular switch

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's like 2mm wider so stuff that's extremely tight like a grip might not be compatible but the docks have enough leeway that they're interchangeable.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Rad thanks all.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The 64 expansion was already worth it with paper mario so everything else is just a bonus

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mega64 posted:

Wait, is Dry Bowser the father of Bowser?

Cranky Bowser

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Last annoying question; what's the gi to method to buying Japanese games now a days? Still buying eShop gift cards from play Asia?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

mandatory lesbian posted:

The best mario kart characters were rob and dry bones

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://twitter.com/sting_pr/status/1504336730404491264?s=20&t=EkCGJ6rYjp8HbAoyp1RJVg

Hopefully Riviera is next.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hopefully you speak Japanese, because Yggdra Union already got a Switch port, but it didn't get an English release, so I'm honestly not optimistic about any of the other Sting games.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Yep, the dimensions are very similar. I kept using my OG Switch carrying case with my OLED without missing a beat.

I am supremely bummed out about Re-Boot Camp, was really looking forward to that.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Waffle! posted:

Love me some Mario Golf.

Kirby 64 gently caress yes

i mean these are all good but hell y3ah kirby

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Ninja hideaway is nuts. That and the Paris track are both highlights

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Hopefully you speak Japanese, because Yggdra Union already got a Switch port, but it didn't get an English release, so I'm honestly not optimistic about any of the other Sting games.

yup. c'mon sting the script is already there...

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Yay!

Commander Keene posted:

Honestly an English translation is probably more confusing than playing and reading a faq.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Were the localizations for those games really that bad? I played a bit of Riviera and it seemed fine.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Commander Keene posted:

Were the localizations for those games really that bad? I played a bit of Riviera and it seemed fine.

Yggdra Union has a confusing plot, because it jumps backwards and forwards in time a bunch without ever stopping to explain what's going on, but I don't think there were any issues with the english translation.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Watching a LP of Rune Factory 5 and it looks pretty good tbh

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Commander Keene posted:

Knights in the nightmare has really weird game mechanics and a really tenuous plot in the first place. Ygdra and riviera were more straightforward and didn't strive for like proto dark souls plot obscurity

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Waffle! posted:

Love me some Mario Golf.

oh you had my hyped for 3 games next month...

bushisms.txt posted:

I assume anything that was released on the Virtual Console is coming eventually.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Does Lego City Undercover provide six dollars worth of entertainment?

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Does Lego City Undercover provide six dollars worth of entertainment?

It absolutely does, it's hilarious. Its like a GTA game but with a bunch of movie references, puns, over the heads of kids jokes. My favourite Lego game next to Lego LOTR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

kirby forgotten land in a week, kirby 64 soon. it's poyo time.