Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Everyone woke up one morning to the news that yes, Russia actually is that lovely. This is not to say that there weren't a whole lot of capitalists happy to do business with the war-mongering, homophobic authoritarians all this time, some who are still having a hard time quitting him (either because they're secretly the ideal or... money, really), or that the capitalists won't go back to that trough when it's deemed safe to do so. But some claws got dug into leftists who should have known better, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

oh absolutely!

The purpose of the current sanctions is not regime change as such; it's to shatter the Russian economy to the point that they can't mount offensive military operations any more. Sanctions can work for that purpose even against autocracies.

Is there a successful incidence of that happening before that you can cite

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Is there a successful incidence of that happening before that you can cite

apartheid South Africa? Though I'm hardly an expert on that history and they weren't single handedly responsible for ending apartheid. Also not an invasion.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Depends how you feel about Juche I guess

The current sanctions against Russia are far heavier than anything imposed on anyone in a very long time, so it's a bit of a test case.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fritz the Horse posted:

apartheid South Africa? Though I'm hardly an expert on that history and they weren't single handedly responsible for ending apartheid. Also not an invasion.

Doesn't really answer his question (sa wasnt starting foreign wars of aggression) though it is an example of sanctions happening and then democratic regime change happening afterwards

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Fritz the Horse posted:

There's some academic disagreement on this. Mandela and other leaders of the opposition think it's so, but also many folks cite Mandela and the opposition being far more responsible.

I do find it extremely weird that a terrible but relatively unremarkable imperial crime is suddenly world-shattering in a situation where the victims are white for once. I've never seen anybody accused of being, say, a bin Salmanist collaborator for shrugging off the genocide in Yemen we've been party to since Obama as unfortunate but unpreventable and maybe we'll get to doing something about it in the future but right now is a no-go

I agree that the racial politics of this are pretty obvious.

Apparently it's not horseback cops with whips when the refugees are white.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I do find it extremely weird that a terrible but relatively unremarkable imperial crime is suddenly world-shattering in a situation where the victims are white for once. I've never seen anybody accused of being, say, a bin Salmanist collaborator for shrugging off the genocide in Yemen we've been party to since Obama as unfortunate but unpreventable and maybe we'll get to doing something about it in the future but right now is a no-go

I don't think the majority on this forum is going to disagree that bin Salman and Saudi Arabia shouldn't also be sanctioned and ostracized, but its just weird how DSA is picking such an odd take on Russian aggression.

Nobody here is going to argue we shouldn't be telling the Saudis to gently caress off with their horrid issues on Yemen and that the US should be siding with Yemen in this.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 19, 2022

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Doesn't really answer his question (sa wasnt starting foreign wars of aggression) though it is an example of sanctions happening and then democratic regime change happening afterwards

Angola, Zambia and Namibia count for these purposes, I think.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I honestly can't give a poo poo what powerless orgs like DSA or internet tankies think when they have no ability to enact change and the people with real power have even more monstrous beliefs. I think any leftists overly concerned about the moral crimes of the powerless should evaluate why they are so bothered by it when it has no effect on the material world and there are far worse people who do have an effect on things.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 19, 2022

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Fritz the Horse posted:

Someone linked me this paper on the subject earlier.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Jaxyon posted:

There's some academic disagreement on this. Mandela and other leaders of the opposition think it's so, but also many folks cite Mandela and the opposition being far more responsible.

The CBP never whipped anyone, even the guy who took those photos says so.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/photographer-behind-controversial-migrant-photos-claims-agents-werent-whipping-anyone/

Paul Ratje posted:

The photographs, which were taken Sunday, appear to show agents on horses with whips in hand. The photos caused outrage, as they appear to show Border Patrol agents whipping migrants from certain angles. But photographer Paul Ratje said he and his colleagues never saw agents whipping anyone.

“Some of the Haitian men started running, trying to go around the horses,” Ratje said.

Ratje is a photographer based in Las Cruces and has been in Del Rio since Friday. He said he took the photographs from the Mexican side.

“I’ve never seen them whip anyone,” Ratje said. “He was swinging it … but it can be misconstrued when you’re looking at the picture.”

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Ah, "vigorously using their reigns while chasing down refugees on horseback, in pursuit of policy that violates both US and international law"

My mistake :rolleyes:

edit:
https://twitter.com/johnholman100/status/1439948289680363527

But I stand corrected, no whipping here.

Do you think whipping was central to the point of my post?

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 19, 2022

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

I don't think the majority on this forum is going to disagree that bin Salman and Saudi Arabia shouldn't also be sanctioned and ostracized, but its just weird how DSA is picking such an odd take on Russian aggression.

Nobody here is going to argue we shouldn't be telling the Saudis to gently caress off with their horrid issues on Yemen and that the US should be siding with Yemen in this.

We're like a page removed from someone More Convenient Seasoning about Palestine dude. "I don't disagree Saudi is bad" is a worthless sentiment and nobody cares. It's not a line in the sand for anybody but Ukraine is expected to be or else you're a Putin stooge. You yourself just posted about the horror of Russian warcrimes and how they prove it's impossible to negotiate with Russia despite those being not remotely unusual by the crimes of empires

We've had people in this very thread argue that Desert Storm was good, actually, and that's a war that featured the Highway of Death, deliberate destruction of water sanitation plants, and a shelter for women and children being bombed so heavily that rescuers had to wade through a layer of grease on the floor only to find the remains of the families hiding there had been fused together

None of that is a line in the sand for left-liberals but even before Russia invaded, it was seen as a unique aggression that must be stopped at all costs. Do you honestly think we'd be having the same conversation about it if the victims were brown? Come on, dude

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Jaxyon posted:

Ah, "vigorously using their reigns while chasing down refugees on horseback, in pursuit of policy that violates both US and international law"

My mistake :rolleyes:

edit:
https://twitter.com/johnholman100/status/1439948289680363527

But I stand corrected, no whipping here.

Do you think whipping was central to the point of my post?

You're the one who mentioned "horseback cops with whips."

It's media deception and you're continuing to spread it.

It's Ok though, the administration fixed the policy by taking away the horses. But I notice you don't mention VP Harris who has been put in charge of the SouthWest Border.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 20, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gumball Gumption posted:

I honestly can't give a poo poo what powerless orgs like DSA or internet tankies think when they have no ability to enact change and the people with real power have even more monstrous beliefs. I think any leftists overly concerned about the moral crimes of the powerless should evaluate why they are so bothered by it when it has no effect on the material world and there are far worse people who do have an effect on things.

I think it's less that they are powerless and more that they serve the exact role their powerful masters insist on. They did their job.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

RBA Starblade posted:

I think it's less that they are powerless and more that they serve the exact role their powerful masters insist on. They did their job.

Could I request clarity here, are you implying that the DSA is somehow funded by the Russian state?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

We're like a page removed from someone More Convenient Seasoning about Palestine dude. "I don't disagree Saudi is bad" is a worthless sentiment and nobody cares. It's not a line in the sand for anybody but Ukraine is expected to be or else you're a Putin stooge. You yourself just posted about the horror of Russian warcrimes and how they prove it's impossible to negotiate with Russia despite those being not remotely unusual by the crimes of empires

We've had people in this very thread argue that Desert Storm was good, actually, and that's a war that featured the Highway of Death, deliberate destruction of water sanitation plants, and a shelter for women and children being bombed so heavily that rescuers had to wade through a layer of grease on the floor only to find the remains of the families hiding there had been fused together

None of that is a line in the sand for left-liberals but even before Russia invaded, it was seen as a unique aggression that must be stopped at all costs. Do you honestly think we'd be having the same conversation about it if the victims were brown? Come on, dude

And we were wrong when we did it, but somehow we're back at "Two wrongs make some sort of right" logic that makes no god damned sense.

And the DSA pretending its logical to argue that Russia is both willing and able to negotiate in good faith is what we're discussing, and whether leftists are also outraged about Yemen and Desert Storm (they most likely are, even if pushing the Iraqi's out of the UAE was also good).

This seems incredibly nitpicky.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

And we were wrong when we did it, but somehow we're back at "Two wrongs make some sort of right" logic that makes no god damned sense.

And the DSA pretending its logical to argue that Russia is both willing and able to negotiate in good faith is what we're discussing, and whether leftists are also outraged about Yemen and Desert Storm (they most likely are, even if pushing the Iraqi's out of the UAE was also good).

Do you consider the US willing and able to negotiate in good faith despite its century-long list of imperial crimes? If so, why?

And what makes the war in Ukraine, something that will not touch US soil, unique enough that it's on par with 9/11 or the 2008 crash, as was claimed?

The context of the discussion that the DSA even came up in is that forums poster How are u stated that he finds the Palestinian genocide troublesome, but not so troublesome that he's unwilling to withdraw his support from a political party that actively funds Israel and will defend it viciously, but feels that Ukraine is a line in the sand, and other posters agreed that yes, harm reduction rationale should not apply to the Russian invasion of Ukraine despite it being pretty unremarkable in the field of imperial violence. Would you personally vote for a politician who took an non-interventionist stance on it or is that a dealbreaker for you?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Who are their powerful masters?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
There's the options we have, and the ones we need.

The things we can do, vs what we need to do.

I know, duh, but many of the arguments here are us swirling in one pool or another. I just had a heated discussion with my father, where we agreed that a certain fierce appetite for change and even sacrifice is needed amongst the people of the usa/world for the needle to budge enough. However, he wouldn't engage the frustrating topic of how we do that. Of how passionate likeminded forward thinking people are stymied and shut down at every junction if they lack overwhelming support. The way the status quo coalesces to protect itself, eschewing the supposed "choice" our vote symbolizes... and the way we are programmed to these "choices" from birth. Yknow, as soon as you start accruing debt.

I asked him to apply his ideals to me, shall I vote harder, dedicate all my free time to political canvassing, do something reactive and destructive*? His answer seemed to be that I need to wait.
*a rhetorical conversational device of course, I want to make things better

The inertia and trajectory of this world dominating machine that we built, are born into, and have sole responsibility over (individually as living humans) has become mostly inured to change from regular people, or even the power of individual companies and nations.

I guess I'm saying I've been reading listening and seeing people (who arguably devote more time to this world than most) bitterly fight for so long, maybe the obstacles set against us are just an incredible burden on even the most dedicated sincere individuals.

The rigorous discussions do help shape and inform at least!

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 20, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

PeterCat posted:

OK, "horseback cops without whips". My mistake. That doesn't really make it much less awful.

Now, how does that change my point?

quote:

It's Ok though, the administration fixed the policy by taking away the horses. But I notice you don't mention VP Harris who has been put in charge of the SouthWest Border.

Yes I didn't mention her. Why would that matter?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

Who are their powerful masters?

Podcasters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's lol that Democrats are still looking at the struggling left and going "Who's funding them?!" as if literally the only reason anyone could not be giving the Democratic Party their rightful fealty is because they're paid to.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
if it turns out the real powerful masters of the DSA were inside us all along I'm going to be very disappointed

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

Podcasters.

Big Podcast is shelling out millions upon millions of dollars in lobbying cash to make it okay for Felix Biederman to have a katana

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's lol that Democrats are still looking at the struggling left and going "Who's funding them?!" as if literally the only reason anyone could not be giving the Democratic Party their rightful fealty is because they're paid to.

Is that the only reason to support imperialism? I wonder.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

The boys on the Russian front lines are remembering there are communist reading groups all across America supporting them and they smile and know it's worth it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Depends how you feel about Juche I guess

The current sanctions against Russia are far heavier than anything imposed on anyone in a very long time, so it's a bit of a test case.

I think there's reasons to be concerned that if the sanctions become too destructive, that they will have precedent in the impact of the Treaty of Versailles on Germany which obviously led to something much more darker and desperate down the road. In much the same way that Putin violated his promise that his actions would only defend the Donbass and Crimea, so too has the West violated its promise that the sanctions would only impact the oligarchs, and it's hard not to feel like this would only lead to worsened conditions on both fronts, more nationalism in Ukraine in response to the invasion (so much for denazification, but that was never the goal) and more nationalism in Russia (so much for pressuring Putin out of power, but that also was never the goal). I don't feel the DSA getting cold feet about just how credible economic punishment will be is all that unrealistic. It does leave open the question of what the West should do, but at the same time, there are plenty of conflicts the West and explicitly America feel no interest in intervening in whatsoever. Which conflicts are so irredeemable that they require an intervention of some kind, and which are to be ignored? If the United Nations had more collective authority, it'd be a moot point, but there's so much unilateral agency used that it feels like there's no world authority, only a team of rival bullies accusing the other of being the "real" bad guy.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
I dont think its fair to compare the Ukraine war with either Yemen or Palestine. By all accounts Russia's offensive is untenable and certainly isn't going to turn into a decade long low intensity genocide like Palestine or Yemen. Even looking at Donbas after the take over its not great but still not on the same level. I also think its a bit of a moot point because DSA has no influence or canidates on that level of policy making, its the dumbest kind of purity politics.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Jaxyon posted:

PeterCat posted:

Hang on, Jayxon didn't say they whipped them. He said they were horseback cops with whips, which is also what the article says. Or am I misunderstanding something?

quote:

“I’ve never seen them whip anyone,” Ratje said. “He was swinging it, but it can be misconstrued when you’re looking at the picture.”

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

remember back when liberals were trembling in fear of a fascist takeover of Washington DC, and how many of those same people have gone from certainty that collaborating with fascists at home or abroad constitutes high treason, to proclaiming unwillingness to arm fascists abroad an indicator of treasonous intent?

imagine that the same latitude such people extend to the term 'fascism' - one second the ultimate enemy that must be fought for fear it will topple all, the next a distasteful-but-welcome ally in a patriotic struggle against a geopolitical rival - was extended to other concepts by other people.

with this in mind, you can understand that when 'sometimes you just gotta arm the nazis' is not only on the table but actively being supported by broad swathes of the public, there will be people responding 'no, in fact, my ideology holds that just about any option is better than arming nazis.'

while it we cannot rule out the existence of your shadowy manipulator working their dread will through the DSA's messaging arm, my angle is both significantly more likely, AND saves us valuable time and effort imagining the remote castle where this mastermind is even now developing their next bizarrely poor-return-on-investment plot.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

RBA Starblade posted:

Can you answer the question I asked please. Who do you believe is "behind" this? Do you possess any proof of this, or is it just you saying "it must be like this". I'm interested to know. Thank you.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

remember back when liberals were trembling in fear of a fascist takeover of Washington DC, and how many of those same people have gone from certainty that collaborating with fascists at home or abroad constitutes high treason, to proclaiming unwillingness to arm fascists abroad an indicator of treasonous intent?

imagine that the same latitude such people extend to the term 'fascism' - one second the ultimate enemy that must be fought for fear it will topple all, the next a distasteful-but-welcome ally in a patriotic struggle against a geopolitical rival - was extended to other concepts by other people.

with this in mind, you can understand that when 'sometimes you just gotta arm the nazis' is not only on the table but actively being supported by broad swathes of the public, there will be people responding 'no, in fact, my ideology holds that just about any option is better than arming nazis.'

while it we cannot rule out the existence of your shadowy manipulator working their dread will through the DSA's messaging arm, my angle is both significantly more likely, AND saves us valuable time and effort imagining the remote castle where this mastermind is even now developing their next bizarrely poor-return-on-investment plot.

Ignoring all context and flattening everything down to "Ah-ha! Nazis! Both sides bad same-same!" does not make a strong argument, most especially when one side of that argument is regurgitated propaganda used as a laughably thin bullshit casus belli from a nation currently performing a ground invasion killing tens of thousands on all sides.

Azov has been losing power and representation in the political process as people have been voting them out of office and not being receptive to their message.

Meanwhile domestic American fascists did a little bit of a fucky wucky you may remember on January 6th and are rapidly ascendant because one of two major political parties is outright supporting them and calling for the destruction of the democratic process.

Turns out context matters.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

You are right, Americans shouldn't have armed the Soviets in WWII because by supporting Stalin they also supported his raging anti-Semitism, and that's immoral.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

steinrokkan posted:

You are right, Americans shouldn't have armed the Soviets in WWII because by supporting Stalin they also supported his raging anti-Semitism, and that's immoral.

Far more reason to feel bad allying with Winston Churchill, to be honest.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Probably Magic posted:

Far more reason to feel bad allying with Winston Churchill, to be honest.

Churchill was bad, but lets not get carried away. Stalin was worse.

Not only in terms of death and misery to the Soviet people; he also allied with Hitler for quite a while there in return for part of Poland.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sarcastr0 posted:

Not only in terms of death and misery to the Soviet people; he also allied with Hitler for quite a while there in return for part of Poland.

Ask the Indians about Churchill.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ask the Indians about Churchill.
Do you think I said Churchill was good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Sarcastr0 posted:

Not only in terms of death and misery to the Soviet people;.

Are we forgetting about Indians or are they not included in the definition of "people" or what's going on