Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s based on a long running comic strip of the same name, though I hadn’t heard there was a cartoon until just now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

There was no realistic fate for DW besides becoming a cop.

New thread title right here.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never really watched Arthur the show, I just remember playing the "interactive storybook" computer games. And I don't really remember those very well either.

When you're in trouble you call DW, right?

readingatwork posted:

The animation in Big Nate fascinates me. It does a LOT of things right that most TV tier CGI projects fail at like understanding squash/stretch concepts, mixing 2D and 3D animation effectively and actually giving things proper textures to avoid that plastic look CGI assets tend to get. At the same time though I'm constantly distracted by the lighting which always feels either under lit or over lit but at a weird side angle. It's particularly bad in indoor scenes where every shot looks like all the lights are off and the only light is coming from a nearby window. I think the show is trying to play into how grimy this town is supposed to be (and credit where it's due they did a drat good job making this place look like it's falling apart) but I really don't like the effect.

I think squashing and stretching is dramatically harder with CGI, since you have to go back and take the model and warp it, and there probably won't be any premade "bones" to use to do it. The main mechanical advantage to CGI (maybe the only one) is that you're supposed to be able to to reuse the same models for everything and not have to redraw things. The only show I've seen that I remember really made the effort to warp its models to exaggerate movements is the CGI TMNT series.

Of course, with CGI you also technically have the advantage that you don't exactly need to use squash and stretch to exaggerate movement, because your framerate isn't limited by having to redraw new poses; you can just have the models move around at maximum framerate, and then if you want them to look faster, you can just make them move faster.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
I remember seeing "Big Nate" in newspapers as a kid. It's wild that there's a cartoon based on it now. I know the creator has been trying to sell a cartoon to TV for ages, though (some of them were "Big Pick" pilots for Cartoon Network, losing to the likes of "Billy and Mandy" and "Kids Next Door")

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So when did the cartoon version start out of curiosity and is it any good? I remember being somewhat of a fan of the strip as a kid

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

amigolupus posted:

Mods, I have never asked you for anything before then please, grant me this.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think squashing and stretching is dramatically harder with CGI, since you have to go back and take the model and warp it, and there probably won't be any premade "bones" to use to do it. The main mechanical advantage to CGI (maybe the only one) is that you're supposed to be able to to reuse the same models for everything and not have to redraw things. The only show I've seen that I remember really made the effort to warp its models to exaggerate movements is the CGI TMNT series.

This is my understanding as well which is why it was refreshing to see it done. You typically only see it in movies like The Hotel Transylvania series where they have the budget to invest the effort.

quote:

Of course, with CGI you also technically have the advantage that you don't exactly need to use squash and stretch to exaggerate movement, because your framerate isn't limited by having to redraw new poses; you can just have the models move around at maximum framerate, and then if you want them to look faster, you can just make them move faster.

Squash and stretch can still make a bug difference even accounting for these factors, particularly in more cartoony styles. One of the reasons Luca looked so drat good was because they used a lot of 2D animation techniques to elevate the actions characters took. It’s something I wish more CG shows would do.

Larryb posted:

So when did the cartoon version start out of curiosity and is it any good? I remember being somewhat of a fan of the strip as a kid

It just released in Paramount + last week which is why most people haven’t heard about it yet. It’s your typical slice of life kid’s show you’ve seen before. I’d say it has C+ writing but B+ animation.

I can’t speak to how faithful it is to the source material since I’ve never read it. I’m pretty sure the strip wasn’t as weirdly dystopian in tone/aesthetic as the cartoon though.

amigolupus posted:

Do it!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
New Proud Family. Michael is loving fabulous and i love it

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

D34THROW posted:

New Proud Family. Michael is loving fabulous and i love it

Michael is the best character in the show so far. Has me wanting to watch the episode again just to watch them again.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Unfortunately we didn't barely but get to the panda before distractions happened :sigh: However my daughter loves it and is excited for more.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So apparently they got Arthur's original voice actor back to do his 20 years later voice. That's cool.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

So apparently they got Arthur's original voice actor back to do his 20 years later voice. That's cool.

Michael Yarmush has been a side character, Slink, for a while now. I didn't notice that until I saw the credits recently.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
An interview with the writer of that weird Battletech cartoon that tried to sell battlemechs to kids with budget CG was just released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5YUJo4HrHg

The original interview with the producer from last month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgnur3rlfv4

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 1, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

For anyone interested, Season 2 of the CG He-Man series is up on Netflix now

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Watched the "Sleepytime" episode of Bluey with my 5-yo daughter yesterday and I think it might be one of the most beautiful & perfect episodes of any TV show I've ever seen. I mean sure, it's only 7 minutes long, but it works on like a dozen different levels...its about one thing, but it's also kinda about everything, and the plot is so recognizable as a parent, every one of us has been through this a hundred times. Plus the music & animation are gorgeous and seem to have been largely inspired by THAT scene from 2001: A Space Odyssey. On top of all that it's funny, like it actually pulls off a good nutshot joke. There's one scene that made me emotional (Bingo's rabbit joining the other rabbits flying around Saturn - even my daughter was asking me "why is the bunny leaving Bingo?") and another one that makes me tear up just thinking about it, Bingo looking away from the sun to her broken home planet and saying "I have to go, I'm a big girl now". Just to prove I'm not some dork getting all weepy over a kids show I looked it up on IMDB and the rating there seems to imply its one of the best episodes of anything ever. So there. Go watch it!!!

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
Bluey has been a real treat of a show to watch with my daughter. It's managed to get me to tear up a few times, and it's genuinely funny for children and adults.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Owl House and Amphibia will apparently be returning this Saturday

https://twitter.com/DisneyChannel/status/1503793167782584324

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 18, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Owl House and Amphibia will apparently be returning for their final seasons this Saturday

https://twitter.com/DisneyChannel/status/1503793167782584324

The Owl House will have another short run after this, because of weird Disney corporate fuckery / homophobia.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Owl House will have another short run after this, because of weird Disney corporate fuckery / homophobia.

Oh? For some reason I thought this was the season that wound up getting cut short and turned into the final one. On the bright side, that gives them a bit more time to wrap things up at the very least

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Oh? For some reason I thought this was the season that wound up getting cut short and turned into the final one. On the bright side, that gives them a bit more time to wrap things up at the very least

Yeah, from what I understand it's the show's third season that was cut.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, from what I understand it's the show's third season that was cut.

Ah ok, so Season 2 was just cut in half for some reason and this is the rest of it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah the third season has like...a couple extra long episodes or something? And that's the end of Owl House.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I Am Fowl posted:

Yeah the third season has like...a couple extra long episodes or something? And that's the end of Owl House.

Three 44 minute long specials to be exact (the equivalent of about 6 normal episodes), yeah.

Is Amphibia also getting a truncated Season 3 or does that one get to end normally?

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

The second season of Jellystone just dropped! Went through the first three episodes, and it is as crazy as ever!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Larryb posted:

Three 44 minute long specials to be exact (the equivalent of about 6 normal episodes), yeah.

Is Amphibia also getting a truncated Season 3 or does that one get to end normally?

It gets a full season, it just got split in half.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

It gets a full season, it just got split in half.

So Owl House getting the short end of the stick really is sour grapes on Disney’s part then, figured as much

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Disney's being a real big bitch baby about LGBT+ stuff, yeah. To the point where it looks like poo poo's finally turning on them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, even if somehow that wasn’t the reason they cancelled it the fact that Disney pulled the plug not long after the two lead female characters became a couple isn’t really a good look for them regardless

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 19, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It was pulled before season 2 started. I mean I'm not saying Disney shortening season 3/canning the series because they're homophobic is impossible, but this isn't a recent thing like some people seem to think it is.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 19, 2022

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Amphibia got a full season because it was farther along than TOH was, which got delayed a few times due to production issues IIRC. If Amphibia had also started in 2020 and not 2019, its third season would've most likely also been cut down. Considering how they hosed with the season two finale of Amphibia causing it to get released "early" on iTunes after they rescheduled it at the last minute I don't think Disney really was playing favorites.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TwoPair posted:

It was pulled before season 2 started. I mean I'm not saying Disney shortening season 3/canning the series because they're homophobic is impossible, but this isn't a recent thing like some people seem to think it is.

Disney would have known what the content of Season 2 was though, given the long lead times on animation. So it could easily have been a reaction to the leads queering it up.

And there are other stories that have come out about them cancelling that Marvel Squirrel Girl show for being "too gay", Alex Hirsch struggling to get the two cops in Gravity Falls to be textually queer, telling Pixar to remove their queer content from their films, punting Love, Victor from Disney+ to Hulu... I dunno if they deserve the benefit of the doubt here, but I certainly can't manage to give it to them.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Disney's leadership has outrightly stated that they will let the "inspiring content" be their corporate message/response, essentially reducing any and all of the good work being done into a cynical tokenization gimmick for the company to use as a shield for funding right-wing politicians and all that jazz.

I genuinely feel sorry for the artists even more than usual because it's a catch-22: fight like hell to get the company to let you put in basic representation only for it to be weaponized, or don't make anything at all because guess who owns all the means of production, publication, and even just monetization lately.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Disney would have known what the content of Season 2 was though, given the long lead times on animation. So it could easily have been a reaction to the leads queering it up.

And there are other stories that have come out about them cancelling that Marvel Squirrel Girl show for being "too gay", Alex Hirsch struggling to get the two cops in Gravity Falls to be textually queer, telling Pixar to remove their queer content from their films, punting Love, Victor from Disney+ to Hulu... I dunno if they deserve the benefit of the doubt here, but I certainly can't manage to give it to them.

Like I said I don't doubt that the content is most likely behind the reduced season, the only thing that bothers me is that people are acting like it's a recent development when it's old news. Which I guess just an offshoot of me being bothered that people seem to just be waking up to all of Disney's bullshit in general when, again, it's old news.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

TwoPair posted:

Like I said I don't doubt that the content is most likely behind the reduced season, the only thing that bothers me is that people are acting like it's a recent development when it's old news. Which I guess just an offshoot of me being bothered that people seem to just be waking up to all of Disney's bullshit in general when, again, it's old news.

Yeah, I get that. I'm pretty sure I've explained all this here and/or in the Owl House thread in the past 3-6 months - to some of the same people too! Sigh.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The late 90s and early 00s, when teenage shut-ins ruled the internet.

Was it trash sure, but it was different.

Remember that weird comedy site where some dude collected money and paid for some brazilian women to poop on eachother....good times.

also lol random monkey cheese

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Very old news for that matter (for example, I believe I heard somewhere that Weisman wanted to make Lexington from Gargoyles come out as gay but Disney said no. In fact, it might have wound up happening in the comic instead)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I believe Dana herself squashed the notion that it was because of the LGBT content

Given she’s been quick to call them out about the recent matters I’m inclined to believe her

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nodosaur posted:

I believe Dana herself squashed the notion that it was because of the LGBT content

Given she’s been quick to call them out about the recent matters I’m inclined to believe her

https://twitter.com/DanaTerrace/status/1500918588093329411

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like I have to say that after two seasons isn't that early by Disney Channel standards, especially when they have the three season rule. At least they got a rump season to wrap up with.

I'm still bummed that Mao Mao: Heroes of Pure Heart got canned, although that doesn't have any particular representational relevance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I get the feeling MaoMao probably was easier for CN to let go of since it wasn't technically one of their in-house shows.

As for Disney… well this isn't that unusual given the way things also went for Gravity Falls, either. Though IIRC that was also because production on that one was particularly difficult and faced deadline difficulties behind the scenes. I can't say the same for the others since I've since dropped out of following that stuff too closely.