Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

I guess I have something to try out this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Neat, I tried to create one but they have no more capacity for free VMs in US east. Guess I’ll try again in a few days maybe they’ll add more.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
I tried using the other free VM as described in the older blog post and it did not go very well either. I was able to create the VM, but it took an hour for it to start up the minecraft server and then immediately crashed due to server ticks taking > 60 seconds.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Man, oracle cloud is getting really desperate for attention if they're pulling this kind of thing.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Any good vanilla plus-style packs for 1.18? I want to vibe with the new caves and my attempts at tossing mods together all ended in failure.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Looks like there's tons. Better Minecraft maybe?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Its listed as a Free Trial though.
Is it limited in a certain way or stop working after a month?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i mean, yeah it's limited. you have to use specific virtual hardware and you get a relatively weedy amount of Computer by corporate standards, but it's far more than enough to tool around as a personal user and set up a game server

they don't seem to cut it off after any set length of time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jade Rider posted:

Any good vanilla plus-style packs for 1.18? I want to vibe with the new caves and my attempts at tossing mods together all ended in failure.
thanks to help from this thread, I cobbled together this group of mods, which has been great so far for me:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Captain Invictus posted:

thanks to help from this thread, I cobbled together this group of mods, which has been great so far for me:

Oh hey on that note, if you want a more immersive option for your map system, Antique Atlas. Only goes up to 1.17 for now, but god I love that little thing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh, that's cute! I'm on 1.18.1 right now though.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I don't know why the gently caress MultiMC just did this but it's suddenly broken 90% of my modded instances. On Linux normally the instance's first subfolder is .minecraft (simply denoting a hidden folder), but MMC has... apparently renamed that folder to minecraft and created a new .minecraft folder with literally nothing in it except a bunch of empty subfolders and the icon.png used for the thumbnail scratch that, literally nothing in it unless I attempt to browse the instance via MMC in which case it starts populating it with empty subfolders. :psyduck:

I swear computers just invent brand new poo poo specifically to piss me off sometimes. At least all I had to do in this case was delete the new folder and re-rename the old one.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 24, 2022

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

So I recently switched my GTNH world to be a localhost server rather than an SP world and I'm having a minor issue. If I disconnect from the server with my player instance and go afk for a while, the command prompt goes nonresponsive and I can't log back my world. I can't type in the prompt so I have to manually close the cmd window rather than using the 'stop' command. I'm not sure if this risks world/save corruption.

Is this a known thing or something with an easy fix? I've literally never hosted MP worlds so I have no idea if this is common or how to troubleshoot.

On another note, I've discovered combining fluid p2ps with ender fluid conduits to create an entire fluid i/o network with built in filtering and very low power overhead, this is such a game changer. so so much better than using fluid import/export/storage buses for every fluid port. (thanks to Threefold for this revelation, who is currently doing a GTNH playthrough on YT that's probably the best out there imo)

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

i have completed nomifactory. good lord the last few quests took like two weeks. really turns into an incremental game there if, like me, you do not feel like doing a lot more construction/passivizing and instead just request batches of t10 microminers from ae2 a few times a day. it wasn’t that fun to actively build because weirdly i had fully clientside FPS death starting around early ZPM (TPS was completely fine, tons of headroom). figured it wasn’t worth troubleshooting too hard with only “a few” hours left and installing optifine bought me enough comfort to finish it

really good pack though. the devs did an amazing job with the balance, direction, and the feeling of power spikes. on the other hand, even though omni/nomi are big on “removing most of the grind from gregtech” i really do not want to make a machine/robotarm/controller/level emitter/interface setup again for a very long time. i didn’t feel tired until right around the very endgame though, and i think it took me like 6 months of pretty solid playtime to finish

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

I came back to this and it seems there is hardware availability now. Everything worked as shown, so there's not really much to add. I don't have a bunch of friends to stress test it or anything, but I just wanted to report in case someone else really wanted to try it.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Spectral Werewolf posted:

I came back to this and it seems there is hardware availability now. Everything worked as shown, so there's not really much to add. I don't have a bunch of friends to stress test it or anything, but I just wanted to report in case someone else really wanted to try it.

Yep I was able to create a vm after about a week of trying once every day. I’m using it for a Valheim server at the moment and it’s running fine.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Anyone playing Create: Above and Beyond? I'm working my way through the modpack and have run into an issue; I can't find any "nipa." It's a Forbidden and Arcanus plant that's supposed to spawn on little islands or just at random but I've seen neither. I'm tempted to just spawn some in.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Spectral Werewolf posted:

thanks for the reminder, works in my region now too

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
So I'm throwing together a modpack (1.18, I want to go below y=0 for once) to maybe play with some friends/goons, and I'm looking for something that'll add, basically, renewable resources gathered via exploration (rather than like, automation or magic or w/e) - something like Mystcraft for 1.12, where you can just create/destroy little pocket dimensions at will to mine out. I see RFTools Dimensions is pretty popular, but that relies on power generation, which is a whole lot of horseshit I don't want to add to my pack - I'm trying to avoid big tech/automation/power mods since my favorite (Mekanism) isn't released for 1.18 yet, and in general they seem to scare my friends with their complexity. I could use something like Dimensional Dungeons and add a bunch of stuff into the loot table; or sub in a currency mod and just have the dungeons drop currency to be traded for resources, but then I have to create a big shop area and it feels very... artificial. Or I could just add in more potential trades for villagers, but that again leads to more of a different kind of complexity... Any suggestions, or would I really need to go back a few versions for more variety?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I don't know how up-to-date this is, but I think the CofH ore generation can be biome-specific, but I don't know if that all still exists and made it to 1.18.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
KubeJS has that functionality on 1.18.

Otherwise, hmm. https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/lobby may work for you if you set up some way of going there.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

death cob for cutie posted:

So I'm throwing together a modpack (1.18, I want to go below y=0 for once) to maybe play with some friends/goons, and I'm looking for something that'll add, basically, renewable resources gathered via exploration (rather than like, automation or magic or w/e) - something like Mystcraft for 1.12, where you can just create/destroy little pocket dimensions at will to mine out. I see RFTools Dimensions is pretty popular, but that relies on power generation, which is a whole lot of horseshit I don't want to add to my pack - I'm trying to avoid big tech/automation/power mods since my favorite (Mekanism) isn't released for 1.18 yet, and in general they seem to scare my friends with their complexity. I could use something like Dimensional Dungeons and add a bunch of stuff into the loot table; or sub in a currency mod and just have the dungeons drop currency to be traded for resources, but then I have to create a big shop area and it feels very... artificial. Or I could just add in more potential trades for villagers, but that again leads to more of a different kind of complexity... Any suggestions, or would I really need to go back a few versions for more variety?

Immersive Portals could be helpful for this but it's only supported for Fabric. There's an unsupported Forge version but I think it only works up to 1.16.5. But it has support for custom portals through data packs which are easily paired with custom dimensions from data packs.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
Whilst shopping today I walked into a shadowed area and instictively looked up to see if there was a slime island

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Okay, be honest: am I just really stupid and/or illiterate, or is the Minecraft wiki documentation on the custom worldgen JSON file just awful? I want to generate a world without villages or pillager outposts. There are tools online that'll help generate a JSON file for custom worldgen, but a: they all seem fixated more on biome/terrain than features and b: IDK how well it'll work with modded stuff added into the mix.

It seems like I should be able to take a fairly barebones JSON file with the "normal" settings and just tack on some lines in the appropriate spot that set certain features to not spawn at all, but whenever I try that either the worldgen breaks or I still get villages. What am I missing?

e: trying again, found a copy of what's supposedly the "default" vanilla world generation. why is the snowy_plains biome listed three hundred and eighty-eight times

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 7, 2022

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
Here's my grumpy, no fun, totally my problem Enigmatica 6 Expert rant. I need to get it out as I've been muttering to myself for the last few days.

I loved E2E, it's my favourite modpack by a huge margin. But this thing, it's feels unrewarding and kinda strange. There's a huge focus on exploration and while the worldgen is amazing it leads to a couple of big issues. I'm halfway through the main quests and so far all the good quality of life stuff I've got has come from random chests somewhere. I've got elytra flight, perma night vision, i take 0 fall damage and i've got an "eternal steak". All from chests. Now some of that stuff is maybe something I would have liked to have solved myself. Maybe used some interesting combination of mods to acheive or even had as some sort of progression goal i could work towards? Nah mate it was just there. In a chest. Thanks i guess? Theres even some mod that just randomly pops up and gives you some random permanent buffs for reasons that err?

The other issue is a lot of the gating is done by having one big one-off complicated craft which then gives you access to a much easier way of making the thing you just made. So to get into PneumaticCraft you have to go through this long multistage process to get compressed iron ingots, but after you've got a couple of stacks of them you can make it the normal way. So I have never felt so far that i've had to set up some automation, I've just been running around from mod to mod to get through this gate knowing this is just some one off piece of busywork.

Oh, until bees. Ah, Bees. You betcha I set up automation for bees. 3 whole machines and 2 pipes! And I now have infinite of any resource I want, give or take a bit of setup! It's like having a highly customisable void miner! Listen, next time just give me an EE tablet. It puts less entities into the world, helps with lag, y'know.

Also overly complicated and confusing questbook, stop putting in magic mods that are kinda unfinished or hilariously OP, dont put Create as your starting tech mod just because it has a low tech aesthetic the drat mod can conjure iron and gold out of thin air for christs sake, why are there 2 minimap mods, at least try to do something with the default keybindings, that stone forest biome is the loving ugliest thing i've ever seen and no modded player wants to see a battle tower ever again

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
I don't think that's entirely your problem. E6E is fun to try out something that's not MC 1.7 or 1.12, but there's a lot of rough edges I've found as well, lining up with your complaints pretty closely. I've also run into Bees just being infinite resources, and they're absurdly easy to get/breed/mutate. There's almost no reason to automate anything until mid pneumaticraft, and the magic mods are more of a brief glance then seriously integrated with the tech mods. The pack forces you to make a Blood altar to craft a single item and then you can immediately ignore it for a long period of time. You could remove 1/2 of the major mods from the pack, and it would barely impact the progression chain and quests (And would improve my load times and performance...)

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hi I'm insane, apparently, because I'm still working on this.

Presenting space station 2.0:

Now featuring quests that tell you where you should go and stuff!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

any idea how far off a release you are?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'd say that probably depends on my hyperfocus state vs toxic perfectionism and whether I get on ADHD meds anytime soon, heh. Sorry I can't give a real answer.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Black Pants posted:

I'd say that probably depends on my hyperfocus state vs toxic perfectionism and whether I get on ADHD meds anytime soon, heh. Sorry I can't give a real answer.

totally fair, lemme know if you need more testing.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Looks like Mekanism finally came out for 1.18.
The one thing i've been waiting on.
Or at least one of the good Forge tech mods besides IE.
Fabric has jack for good tech mods.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Has the thermal...series added the pipes back yet?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Xun posted:

Unfortunately not, but honestly enderIO pipes are the ones I miss the most in 1.16.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They made a magic mod though!

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Xun posted:

https://twitter.com/kinglemmingcofh/status/1516921736712769536

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
any decent quest modpacks out besides GT: New Horizons and Nomifactory?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

!!!! loving finally, itemducts are still my favorite pipes (outside of enderIO ones) because sometimes i just want to move things from point a to point b without fancy graphics or having to set up and power a controller or install a mod just for pipes that are annoying and never seem to work quite right anyway

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I'm interested in adding some quests to a 1.18.1-moving-to-1.18.2 modpack I'm making to try and guide people through some of the more complicated or poorly-documented mods. It looks like FTB Quests is the only one that supports both versions, is that right? Is there anything better/more intuitive/etc. that's just less common, or a significantly better questing mod that's just for 1.18.2 that I should just wait to start with until I move the whole pack to 1.18.2?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mycroft Holmes posted:

any decent quest modpacks out besides GT: New Horizons and Nomifactory?

I'm also curious about this, maybe with a touch less "if you don't have a server eat poo poo"-itude than Omni/Nomifactory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Rustic Waters II is a pretty good single player story pack.