Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
My sister uses a Chinese style cleaver as a (near) universal knife. The one she uses is... fine I suppose... but I'd like to get her a nice one for her birthday. Where should I be looking to find a good Chinese cleaver that won't break the bank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Thirteen Orphans posted:

My sister uses a Chinese style cleaver as a (near) universal knife. The one she uses is... fine I suppose... but I'd like to get her a nice one for her birthday. Where should I be looking to find a good Chinese cleaver that won't break the bank?

CCK is still a great cleaver even if the price rose a bunch. It still is something like $70 or $80 though I think and is well within nice birthday present territory.

e; It's up to $90 here: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ccksmstcl.html. You can also just check out the brand in general here: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/cckcleavers.html

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Nephzinho posted:

CCK is still a great cleaver even if the price rose a bunch. It still is something like $70 or $80 though I think and is well within nice birthday present territory.

e; It's up to $90 here: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ccksmstcl.html. You can also just check out the brand in general here: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/cckcleavers.html

Those look great! Thanks!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Knives are very personal. Get her a card that says you’d like to help her pick one out.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm a whipped-cream fanatic and I finally took the step and bought a dispenser and some chargers.

I had heartburn about buying the ISI Gourmet 1qt because of the price, but I have a moderately strict "no things that could maim me/that my food goes into from unverified amazon sources" and I rationalized it because I could also use it for doing a shuttle run carb'ing up some beer real quick after transfer. And this was supposedly the way to go.

Having gotten it: wow you could beat someone to death with this. This screams "commercial", it's like heavy gauge stainless, wow.

Also, Creamright.com does business as Waterline Marketing, and they sell on Amazon as well. Just FYI because again, with things like chargers, I think you need to be very careful with sourcing with things that you're going to eat, and Amazon's commingling model doesn't play with that imo. But if it's shipped by Waterline (not prime) then it's coming from the same place as the Creamright site.

This is probably already well-known here, but anyway, lesson learned.

Homemade whipped cream is so goddamned decadent, just pour vanilla extract (liqueur) into a shitload of cream and sugar. It's amazing. Huge quality-to-effort ratio there. I should try it with Baileys too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm a whipped-cream fanatic and I finally took the step and bought a dispenser and some chargers.

I had heartburn about buying the ISI Gourmet 1qt because of the price, but I have a moderately strict "no things that could maim me/that my food goes into from unverified amazon sources" and I rationalized it because I could also use it for doing a shuttle run carb'ing up some beer real quick after transfer. And this was supposedly the way to go.

Having gotten it: wow you could beat someone to death with this. This screams "commercial", it's like heavy gauge stainless, wow.

Also, Creamright.com does business as Waterline Marketing, and they sell on Amazon as well. Just FYI because again, with things like chargers, I think you need to be very careful with sourcing with things that you're going to eat, and Amazon's commingling model doesn't play with that imo. But if it's shipped by Waterline (not prime) then it's coming from the same place as the Creamright site.

This is probably already well-known here, but anyway, lesson learned.

Homemade whipped cream is so goddamned decadent, just pour vanilla extract (liqueur) into a shitload of cream and sugar. It's amazing. Huge quality-to-effort ratio there. I should try it with Baileys too.

Good call getting the ISI. I recall some yoga lady died because she used a cheaper one and it popped, sending the lid at her chest and giving her a heart attack

The gaps in ISI’s screw threads are designed to leak before it gets over pressured like that

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Steve Yun posted:

Good call getting the ISI. I recall some yoga lady died because she used a cheaper one and it popped, sending the lid at her chest and giving her a heart attack

The gaps in ISI’s screw threads are designed to leak before it gets over pressured like that

yeah that's what I mean by the "nothing that can maim me" rule. pressure vessels are no loving joke.

100% happy to order something that has to hold pressure from a traceable supplier.

edit: I've been trying to work in a way to say "buy it for life" but I know perfectly drat well I'm going to buy another for beer/etc

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 18, 2022

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Why doesn't anyone make a countertop chicken rotisserie?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure Ronco did

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

IIRC Cuisinart did as well and they both sucked. I know there are air fryers that can do it but only with teeny tiny chickens.

I know it sounds like a waste of counter space but I roast a chicken at least once a week and love the idea.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 18, 2022

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

IIRC Cuisinart did as well and they both sucked. I know there are air fryers that can do it but only with teeny tiny chickens.

I know it sounds like a waste of counter space but I roast a chicken at least once a week and love the idea.

Wanna go in halvsies?

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vollrath-40704-countertop-rotisserie-oven-208-240v/92240704.html

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Pretty sure Ronco did

Does. I remember those infomercials

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
My parents had one and the chicken came out nice. However, it had absolutely no heat shielding and would heat the kitchen up so much that they started running it outside on the deck on a cookie sheet. Also it unsurprisingly burned pretty much everyone that ever interacted with it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Cornballing piece of poo poo!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Why doesn't anyone make a countertop chicken rotisserie?

Yeah it’s called “go to Costco”

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah it’s called “go to Costco”

Literally cheaper than buying raw chicken and cooking it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Because they literally torture the chickens so yeah

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Vegetable posted:

Because they literally torture the chickens so yeah

Try, but this basically describes all large scale poultry production, so it’s a little weird to complain about Costco.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Costco's chickens aren't cheap because they do anything unusually terrible, it's because it's a loss leader, like their hot dogs

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Let’s get a few more people together and split a Rotisol

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

therobit posted:

Try, but this basically describes all large scale poultry production, so it’s a little weird to complain about Costco.
This is a lame excuse if you live in an area where non tortured chickens are widely available. I only buy LaBelle Patrimoine whole chickens, or raised at local farms.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
This is basically an idle question since I don't really care a lot and it's a long shot, but, just out of curiosity's sake, some years ago I gave away most of my stuff, including the nicest wooden spoon I've ever had. I don't have great pictures of it, but here are a couple:

You can't tell but it had a very long handle (I think probably about a foot, maybe a bit more). The transition into the dip is a hard edge, not smooth. If it helps, it had a small hole at the end of the handle, like for hanging on something or tying a string through or whatever. It may have been Korean - I am very unsure. It might not even have been a brand or anything. Maybe someone just made this spoon at some point. But on the off chance anyone knows of a spoon like this, I'd be interested. I've seen lots of spoons with various nice features but nothing that has everything this spoon has (very deep bowl, hard lip, long handle, rounded but not spherical indentation, etc).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It reminds me of a spoon/paddle I use for stir frying sometimes. I picked it up at the Asian market for $4 or something. Since you suspect yours was Korean, you may want to try an Asian market and see what their offerings are.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It reminds me of a spoon/paddle I use for stir frying sometimes. I picked it up at the Asian market for $4 or something. Since you suspect yours was Korean, you may want to try an Asian market and see what their offerings are.
Yes I should also have mentioned it's something of an idle question because I live in India (in fact the reason I gave my stuff away is because I moved here) and so it will be a long time (if ever) until I'm able to check the various places I'd usually check myself.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Let’s get a few more people together and split a Rotisol

That’s fancy. I got a rotisserie attachment for my grill that I am waiting for good weather to try out.

Not sure if I want to do whole chickens first or some sort of shawarma thing.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

This is a lame excuse if you live in an area where non tortured chickens are widely available. I only buy LaBelle Patrimoine whole chickens, or raised at local farms.

Oh. So you think We should all spend $40/bord for chicken?

I’m going to be honest with you, I already spend around $2500/mo on groceries for four people, and that’s only getting worse with inflation. Systematic change is what’s needed, not the handful of people who can afford it paying through the nose for their meat.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

therobit posted:

I’m going to be honest with you, I already spend around $2500/mo on groceries for four people, and that’s only getting worse with inflation. Systematic change is what’s needed, not the handful of people who can afford it paying through the nose for their meat.

Not sure how you get systematic change in a capitalist society without using economic forces to instigate change or strong arm legislation.

And guess what? Half the country is going to block any such legislation at the federal level.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

therobit posted:

In a just society, meat should cost what it takes to raise it humanely while compensating labor fairly. Meat should not be sold that does not meet these standards. Period.

The solution to income inequality is not "torture animals so we can all afford meat on our artificially low salaries while management steals our labor." The solution is to raise incomes.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

In a just society, meat should cost what it takes to raise it humanely while compensating labor fairly. Meat should not be sold that does not meet these standards. Period.

The solution to income inequality is not "torture animals so we can all afford meat on our artificially low salaries while management steals our labor." The solution is to raise incomes.

All that poo poo is true, and also does not change one iota of the reality of the situation of the moment, which is that in reality you gotta pick your battles and not everyone is gonna die on the hill of ethical treatment of animals. I’m sure you agree unless everything you eat was ethically produced & everything you buy made by unionized labor, and if that’s the case I’m real curious what you’re posting on. Maybe stop making GBS threads on people for buying food in the kitchen equipment thread?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

"iPhones are made with abusive labor practices, so what difference does it make if I refuse to spend a few dollars more for meat that hasn't been tortured to death" sure is an atomic one

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Getting back to the topic of the thread, what kitchen equipment is best for torturing chickens? I use an old B&D toaster oven but I could use an upgrade, is the Panasonic FlashXpress worth looking at

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Murgos posted:

Not sure how you get systematic change in a capitalist society without using economic forces to instigate change or strong arm legislation.

And guess what? Half the country is going to block any such legislation at the federal level.

Bud, it’s a lot more than the half the country. Dems are pro capital too.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I think I may swap my instant pot for a smaller one.

I think three quarts should be plenty for me.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I think I may swap my instant pot for a smaller one.

I think three quarts should be plenty for me.

If you do 'baked' beans in it you might be disappointed. It may be too small for that, for instance, or if you are doing stock in it. I wouldn't go less then the 6 quart myself, but I've got an 8.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Canuck-Errant posted:

Getting back to the topic of the thread, what kitchen equipment is best for torturing chickens? I use an old B&D toaster oven but I could use an upgrade, is the Panasonic FlashXpress worth looking at
Huh, I'd never heard of an infrared heated toaster oven. They make some pretty bold claims about it. I wonder if it can really get things as crispy as a regular toaster?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Huh, I'd never heard of an infrared heated toaster oven. They make some pretty bold claims about it. I wonder if it can really get things as crispy as a regular toaster?

We had one and it worked great. One of the bulbs burnt out about a year into it and like an idiot I thought the whole thing was broken until I realized bulbs can be replaced.

My only complaint about it is the small size. Uh the best example is if we made tator tots to go with some burgers, we could barely get enough tots in there for 2 people. It worked amazingly though/just wish it were a bit bigger.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I love the FlashXpress so much. It is great at getting things crispy, often faster than a conventional toaster oven. It has a reheat setting with a picture of a chicken leg on it, and gosh darn it if it doesn't do a great job reheating chicken (or pizza). It cycles the light elements on and off and manages to heat the food through with a crispy outside without burning it like a standard toaster oven on broil would do.

One of its quirks is that the color of the thing matters. Dark bread toasts faster than white bread, for example, and if you wrap something in foil it just won't heat up.

It's also small. I wouldn't try to roast anything larger than a Cornish game hen in it. If you try to toast larger slices of bread it can't always fit two pieces. It doesn't have a really low "keep warm" setting - the lowest it goes is 120c/250f.

It's an amazing reheating/toasting machine but not a great replacement for a conventional oven. Picture with bread for scale:

Edit: And if oil/grease drips on the lower heating element it can cause it to fail early, yeah.

Tricky Ed fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 19, 2022

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I don’t know about toaster ovens, but my infrared heated coffee roaster got hot enough to burn out the electronics. Twice.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

+1 on the panasonic flashxpress, got one last year and it's perfect for side dishes and individual meals. No preheating time is just amazing. Like others have said though, you can't fit much in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I looked a few pages deep and didn't see a dedicated BBQ thread. I finally bought a place, it has a patio, I'll need recommendations for a propane BBQ which will be used for regular grilling activities and not rotisserie or anything else that might necessitate a fancier setup. I assume that goons have strong opinions on BBQ stuff.

Budget is up to maybe $4-600 CAD (about $450 USD) I don' t really know how much these are supposed to cost or where the value point is. I'd be cooking for generally no more than 4-6 people and most commonly it'd be like 2-4 steaks and some veg or something like that. I would expect to need no more than 2-3 cooking zones (in terms of being able to adjust the heat independently). I would prefer something that doesn't have the side elements for a frying pan or whatnot. It would need wheels but I assume they all have them these days. Stainless steel rails (so they don't rust) are pretty much mandatory and very good heat regularity/no hot spots would be nice.

Open to learning which brands to avoid/look for also.