Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also "I'm the only one who got slimed? No one else got hit? What's the deal?"
Just realised that's mirrored at the end when Venkman inexplicably is the only one who doesn't get completely mallowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Payndz posted:

Just realised that's mirrored at the end when Venkman inexplicably is the only one who doesn't get completely mallowed.

Yeah, I always took that as Murray saying,by that point, "no, I did my time. Mess everyone else up."

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
And in the sequel he also avoids all the icky stuff, essentially avoids being a Ghostbuster until the final 15 minutes.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

WonkyBob posted:

For all of its faults, GB2 has Egons "Let's see what happens when we take away the puppy" line and I just cant hate it due to that.

The only time GB2 captures the same feeling of the first one for me is when they're digging for the slime river.

"YOU TELL HIM TO STOP DIGGING?"

Also the way Ray pronounces "diaper bag."

And, of course:

"YO."

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Yeah, I always took that as Murray saying,by that point, "no, I did my time. Mess everyone else up."

Wasn't Murray allergic to the puff, which is why the only put a dollop on his head?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Splint Chesthair posted:

The only time GB2 captures the same feeling of the first one for me is when they're digging for the slime river.

And, of course:

"YO."

I do enjoy how Egon became Ziggy.

"Ey, he's just angry because some diapah-bag downtown's bein' a jerk, and makin' us work on a Friday night, am I right?"

"Of course you're right, Raymond... Is he right, Ziggy?"

"... Yo."

And then Peter's super blue-collar "hee hee hee, hee hee hee" afterwards. God, I can just hear the entire scene in my head, and I know I'm not alone.

I also love "You mean 'what have I been doing while you've been getting coffee for an hour'?!"

I wanna say that I'm surprised that a few broken pipes/wires would take out all of Manhattan's power, but after what happened last year with the outage in Texas, crumbling and inefficient American infrastructure is nothing new.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 1, 2022

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

WonkyBob posted:

For all of its faults, GB2 has Egons "Let's see what happens when we take away the puppy" line and I just cant hate it due to that.
“We had part of a slinky but I straightened it” kills me every time

Also "I'm the only one who got slimed? No one else got hit? What's the deal?"

Unless you count the mood slime, he’s also the only one in the entire franchise to get slimed

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

"C'mere, Francine..."

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I love this picture

Still absolutely adamant that a new movie with the OG cast can work

Venkman gave me the biggest laugh in Afterlife. A perfect "...bravo"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This is pretty cool; this is the version I grew up with, but my dad only started taping it right as Peter says "You're no fluke, Jennifer", so I've truly never seen the edit for the pissed off student. Neat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoEakhkTJyA

Edit: Holy poo poo, props to Michael Ensign (Sedgewick concierge/manager?) for delivering his "Quickly, I want those doors open NOW!" line exactly the same way for the alternate takes.

Unless it's ADR? If it is, wow, good job recording and editing that in naturally. I can hear the ADR lines elsewhere (Peter talking to Ray outside at the beginning about Einstein, the beginnings of Peter and Dana's meeting outside of her rehearsal), but it sounds natural here, if it is in fact ADR.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 2, 2022

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Coffee And Pie posted:

“We had part of a slinky but I straightened it” kills me every time

Gettin' tempted to rewatch GB2.

Splint Chesthair posted:

And, of course:

"YO."

I did love that scene, the train tunnel scene too.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKoRysKVhn8

The Judge really is a great semi-villain for the slime plot.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Wasn't the OMG MEGA EDITION blu ray box set supposed to come with a completely different "workprint" version of the original movie filled with rough VFX and alternate takes? Did that ever see the light of YouTube? Or was it not quite as exciting as it sounded?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I watched Afterlife again last night I noticed this wonderful line delivery from Murray in the last scene. He jokes like Gozer is a scorned lover who can't let go, and when Gozer has the upper hand he says,"We're finished," twice, each with a different meaning. The first time he's continuing the joke, it's a 'you and me are done, babe' sentiment. The second time it's 'oh gently caress, we are all dead.'

deoju fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 6, 2022

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

OldSenileGuy posted:

Wasn't the OMG MEGA EDITION blu ray box set supposed to come with a completely different "workprint" version of the original movie filled with rough VFX and alternate takes? Did that ever see the light of YouTube? Or was it not quite as exciting as it sounded?

I'm really curious about this too. I'm guessing the second option as I have not heard much talk about it though I've seen reports that it's definitely on the set

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I noticed this visual touch in the theater, but wanted to find some screenshots before I shared it.

Garvey
Jul 19, 2010
Not strictly movie related, but I hope close enough?

As part of a ghostbusters fan group, I'm planning to run short, 10-15 minute sessions of a ghostbusters rpg at local comic-cons, aimed mainly at kids.

We usually have a stall displaying our equipment and allowing people to get photographs and have a chat while we collect for charity, but I thought a brief, memorable experience "being" a ghostbuster would be fun, and something different from the usual offerings from stalls.

I've seen tabletop war games being ran in similar dumbed down, quick sessions, but never an rpg. Obviously character creation will be out the window, as will most of the more involved rules. I am planning to start stripping back the rules of the 1986 rpg, pre generating characters based on members of the fan group, and creating/tweaking scenarios to be based locally. I'll be playtesting with my friends, and speaking to local gaming groups, but has anyone any thoughts or advice on how this might run, or fun bits of ghostbusters lore I could potentially drop in?

I've a feeling, depending on the age groups, it might be as light an experience as me telling a ghostbusters story to the group with occasional dice rolls to keep them involved.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I need to find some leather strip for it and it needs a lot more black weathering, but this is fun. Really whistles too!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

gregday posted:

I need to find some leather strip for it and it needs a lot more black weathering, but this is fun. Really whistles too!

Oh drat! Is this from that RPF junkyard run?

gregday
May 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Oh drat! Is this from that RPF junkyard run?

Yes! There’s actually 2 runs, one for a resin cast and one for a printed one. I ordered both and this is the printed one.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Saw Ghostbusters: Afterlife in the store on DVD, got it, wife and I watched it, we both loved it. My only gripes at all are I would've liked "the dead are rising scene" in the town to be a bit longer.

Great movie, nicely caps the original 2 Ghostbusters, although I think it's silly that they really only mention G1.

Did Afterlife do well enough to possibly warrant a sequel?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Saw Ghostbusters: Afterlife in the store on DVD, got it, wife and I watched it, we both loved it. My only gripes at all are I would've liked "the dead are rising scene" in the town to be a bit longer.

Great movie, nicely caps the original 2 Ghostbusters, although I think it's silly that they really only mention G1.

Did Afterlife do well enough to possibly warrant a sequel?

Even with Ivan Reitman's passing, I'd say a sequel pretty much locked in.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It didn't do great business, making less than the 2016 film which itself was considered a box office disappointment. You have to consider the pandemic of course but Spider-Man coming out shortly after and absolutely annihilating the box office doesn't help Afterlife's case. However, there's rentals to consider and I have a feeling Sony aren't gonna close down shop at the Ghostbusters department.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I think they're pretty much forced to do at least one sequel. They can't just not do anything because they need the franchise to continue to be relevant, but they probably realize that doing yet another reboot so soon would be a bad look.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Give me those three fat old men as the main characters! And give me them now!

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Karloff posted:

It didn't do great business, making less than the 2016 film which itself was considered a box office disappointment. You have to consider the pandemic of course but Spider-Man coming out shortly after and absolutely annihilating the box office doesn't help Afterlife's case. However, there's rentals to consider and I have a feeling Sony aren't gonna close down shop at the Ghostbusters department.

But didn't it also cost half the price of the 2016 reboot? Making almost as much on half the budget is a pretty good move, especially during the Pandemic. I don't think it's fair to compare most movies to Marvel flicks anyway, those will be money printers for a long time.

I'd really like to see a sequel with old cast + new cast running a new Ghostbusters business, or heck, make it a live-action TV series.

EDIT: Just learned there are two credit scenes. Cool.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 19, 2022

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Dan and Ernie deserve one more top billing movie.

So do Annie and Rick.

I also want to see Staypuft in amazing cgi, sue me

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

So do Annie and Rick.

I mean do you really think Staypuft in 2025 CGI is really going to look much better than Staypuft in 2016 CGI?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I mean do you really think Staypuft in 2025 CGI is really going to look much better than Staypuft in 2016 CGI?

There was no Staypuft in 2016

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://youtu.be/A0TS3w-srrs

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Alan_Shore posted:

So do Annie and Rick.

I mean...it'll be CGI.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Did they ask Rick back for this one now that he's acting again?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Did they ask Rick back for this one now that he's acting again?

Yes, but he declined. Is he acting again? I know he did a very short thing/ad with Ryan Reynolds, but I didn’t know if that was just a one off or a return.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Yes, but he declined. Is he acting again? I know he did a very short thing/ad with Ryan Reynolds, but I didn’t know if that was just a one off or a return.

It was my understanding since his kids are out of the house and on their own he's gotten back into it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

There was no Staypuft in 2016

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I forgot about the dumb balloon and it doesn't count!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvU0NnTCxXM

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Watched Afterlife again, as the plane I was on had it on demand. Still a good film, and there’s lots to enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I'm into this.