Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

the yeti posted:

Chatted about this a little bit in the discord but figured I'd collect thoughts here

All morning in a lake and the stream feeding it I was seeing stocker trout hitting bugs on the surface and ignoring everything I tried (worm and garlic powerbait under a float and off the bottom, fuschia inline spoon, orange and gold rooster tail)

Not sure if this is one of those situations where I just need some other color/styles of spinners to try or I should be looking for a new trick

Edit- I forget the sizes I have but I was def thinking "do i need a smaller lure for these fish/this behavior pattern" vs "Don't feel like I can cast a tiny spoon v far"
If trout are selectively feeding on insects, you probably need to match the hatch. You can cast a fly on a spinning rod if you attach it a foot past a small bobber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Uhhh fly fishing is pretty hard. I’ve been practicing and while I’m getting some ok casts and a couple bites, I oddly had my leader twist itself into a gnarly rear end knot and I think I’m going to have to cut and add tippet. Fly too heavy for the weight maybe? It was a tiny little popper on 4x leader.

I’m going to keep at it for sure.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Uhhh fly fishing is pretty hard. I’ve been practicing and while I’m getting some ok casts and a couple bites, I oddly had my leader twist itself into a gnarly rear end knot and I think I’m going to have to cut and add tippet. Fly too heavy for the weight maybe? It was a tiny little popper on 4x leader.

Usually a bird’s nest is a result of not keeping tension in the line; often that means you’re starting your forward cast too soon. Check out the oval cast for bigger flies or situations where you need to chuck a lot of weight (for example a traditional nymphing rig).

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LeeMajors posted:

Have you gotten a lesson from a pro or an experience friend?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dik Hz posted:

Have you gotten a lesson from a pro or an experience friend?

Yeah from a pro. Did an hour and did well, but it’s a little different without someone watching I guess. I’m going to keep working at it but rushing the forward cast prob has a lot to do with it.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah from a pro. Did an hour and did well, but it’s a little different without someone watching I guess. I’m going to keep working at it but rushing the forward cast prob has a lot to do with it.
Good! You're ahead of the game then.

One helpful pointer that my buddy showed me was that the ideal back cast should take as long as an equivalent forward cast. Which is a couple long seconds. It helps me to think about the line unfurling in my head at the same pace I watch it unfurl on the forward cast.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
Fly casting is the same theory as twerking really.

You pop it one direction, waiting for the momentum or "load" to peak, then you smoothly pop it the other direction, waiting for the load to build again while you smoothly pop it in the opposite direction again, releasing more line each time to add to the length of the cast.

I guess you can't add more rear end cheek to the length of your twerk, but the theory remains the same.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

WTF BEES posted:

you can't add more rear end cheek to the length of your twerk

If only :allears:

atlas barfed
Aug 17, 2006

WTF BEES posted:

I guess you can't add more rear end cheek to the length of your twerk, but the theory remains the same.

Isn't this the principle behind adding a double haul to the cast?

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?

atlas barfed posted:

Isn't this the principle behind adding a double haul to the cast?

I'm not really sure. I taught myself how to fly cast when I was a kid, and have just been kinda doing for the past 20 years or so. So there probably a whole bunch of stuff with names I know how to do, I just don't know the names for it. I also taught myself fly-tying, which honestly is easier than fly-casting in a way.

Never have been able to pull off a roll cast though.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

WTF BEES posted:

I'm not really sure. I taught myself how to fly cast when I was a kid, and have just been kinda doing for the past 20 years or so. So there probably a whole bunch of stuff with names I know how to do, I just don't know the names for it. I also taught myself fly-tying, which honestly is easier than fly-casting in a way.

Never have been able to pull off a roll cast though.

For whatever reason, I can roll cast like a champ if I’m using a Spey rod. As soon as it’s a short 9’ 4#, I can’t roll cast worth poo poo.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Most people end their roll casts with their rod tip too low. Think about sending the line straight out from where you'd end a normal cast before the lay down (i.e. 2 o'clock or whatever), not down into the river. Invaluable cast for lakes where you want to get a dry out 40' but have no room for a back cast.

This is my favorite roll casting video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRaCV5c63mY

Also, if you want to feel like a total bad-rear end, use the snake roll cast. It's incredibly handy for places where a traditional lob cast doesn't work — for example if you're trying to get the line farther out but can't wade because currents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igHaSrXrw3c

Or switch to euro :unsmigghh:

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 28, 2022

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

DoctaFun posted:

Hey fishing thread! I think I may have posted in here awhile back, but mainly posted in the ask/tell version.

I mainly fish walleye, northern pike, and panfish in Minnesota. But I’m super psyched because I’m going on a trip to northern Ontario in two weeks to chase some giant pike and maybe some lake trout too!

I caught a 42.5” northern at this lodge in the fall, and they get them in the 45-46” range up there!

Also, I picked up a Garmin Livescope the other day and holy crap is it amazing.

Where abouts in Ontario? Ice out in Algonquin park is usually mid April and that's only Central Ontario. A lot of North West Ontario can hold ice well into May.

That said, ice out usually means NO MORE ICE and there can be plenty of open water before that happens. I'm sure they wouldn't book you at a lodge if they were going to be iced over!

Reading this gave me a little flashback of breaking ice in front of the boat with an axe on Lady Evelyn many years back. We caught a lot of walleye on that trip.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Math You posted:

Where abouts in Ontario? Ice out in Algonquin park is usually mid April and that's only Central Ontario. A lot of North West Ontario can hold ice well into May.

That said, ice out usually means NO MORE ICE and there can be plenty of open water before that happens. I'm sure they wouldn't book you at a lodge if they were going to be iced over!

Reading this gave me a little flashback of breaking ice in front of the boat with an axe on Lady Evelyn many years back. We caught a lot of walleye on that trip.

Just got back from my trip!

We were just south of Red Lake, Ontario at Five Lakes Lodge, which is on Gullrock lake.

And yes, we were ice fishing lol, and that was planned! Late ice is like one of the best times to chase giant pike, as they start staging for spawn in the shallow bays/creeks.

Trip was an absolute success, most amazing trip of my life.

We ran tipups for pike for about 2.5 days, all told, we caught 42 pike.

Only 5 of them were under 36”.
Average size was 38”.
16 were over 40”(!!!!)
Top three were a 43”, 44.5”, and a giant 45.75”.

I’ll get some pictures posted in a couple days, but holy cow was it amazing. You know you’re spoiled when you see a 38” pike come through an ice hole and immediately go ‘oh it’s just a small one’.

I’ll be going back to the same lodge at the end of may, and over July 4th.

Anyone looking for an absolutely beautiful lake, with great walleye fishing and world class pike fishing, give Five Lakes Lodge a call. Ian runs the resort, he’s lived his whole life in that area, guided on nearly every lake up there and runs an absolutely great resort. Best hospitality I’ve ever had at a fishing resort.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Adding some pictures! A couple of the fish have like no markings, those are actually silver pike I guess, a new mutation that's been under some research up there.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I will never stop laughing at folks who try to hide their location in fishing pictures. It’s always loving comical.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

goddamn, nice fish

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Sickening posted:

I will never stop laughing at folks who try to hide their location in fishing pictures. It’s always loving comical.

Laugh all you want! Our lakes and rivers are just getting piss pounded in MN over the last 20 years, and technology is making it easier than ever to track down hotspots. Better safe than sorry I say. A couple years ago one of my favorite little lakes got basically fished out over the winter because someone put a picture on Facebook that was recognizable. It’s never been the same since.

This was also a bit out of respect for the lodge owner, this would be a readily identifiable spot with a little research, he put us on this spot and we had it to ourselves as a result, I wanted to respect that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

Laugh all you want! Our lakes and rivers are just getting piss pounded in MN over the last 20 years, and technology is making it easier than ever to track down hotspots. Better safe than sorry I say. A couple years ago one of my favorite little lakes got basically fished out over the winter because someone put a picture on Facebook that was recognizable. It’s never been the same since.

This was also a bit out of respect for the lodge owner, this would be a readily identifiable spot with a little research, he put us on this spot and we had it to ourselves as a result, I wanted to respect that.

If its public water, the "spot" isn't a secret lol. Your favorite little lake didn't get "fished out". Fishermen are the biggest bunch of superstitious weirdos and these practices are just so silly.

Its also one of the embarrassing problems with the hobby. Everyone wants to talk about fishing, but nobody really wants to talk about it. Everyone is so loving worried that if they overshare, their fishing is just going to dry up. I have been pretty notorious about talking about the white bass runs in texas and giving detailed fishing reports on facebook. The amount of angry direct messages I get from folks is sad. Somehow the fishing stays the same. How some I keep catching fish despite helping others. :iiam:

Its all me me me me.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Sickening posted:

If its public water, the "spot" isn't a secret lol. Your favorite little lake didn't get "fished out". Fishermen are the biggest bunch of superstitious weirdos and these practices are just so silly.

Its also one of the embarrassing problems with the hobby. Everyone wants to talk about fishing, but nobody really wants to talk about it. Everyone is so loving worried that if they overshare, their fishing is just going to dry up. I have been pretty notorious about talking about the white bass runs in texas and giving detailed fishing reports on facebook. The amount of angry direct messages I get from folks is sad. Somehow the fishing stays the same. How some I keep catching fish despite helping others. :iiam:

Its all me me me me.

Uhhh yeah, it did get fished out, but I appreciate your expert opinion on the small metro lake I’ve fished since I was 13 years old in MN. Panfish especially are extremely susceptible to over harvesting, especially in the winter when lake access becomes easily accessible by truck. The average size of a sunfish or crappie within 2 hours of the twin cities is probably HALF of what it was 20 or 30 years ago. Technology and access to information have a huge impact.

It’s not about me, it’s about protecting the fishery. We didn’t keep a single fish up there, but 15 of them were trophy sized that a lot of fishermen would harvest and mount.

If you don’t think humans can have a detrimental impact on the quality and size structure of a fishery then you’re high dude.

And lastly, the lodge owner here has spent 25 years on that lake system, guiding, owning resorts, etc. it doesn’t feel right for me to just blast out hot spots he found for all the world to see. If he wants to post those pictures on his site or Facebook page that’s great, but just seems wrong for me to do it.

You do you, I wouldn’t ever message someone and bitch at them for over sharing, but ridiculing people who are trying to be careful isn’t a great look either.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sorry but no, a single picture on Facebook did jack poo poo to destroy your fishery :aloom:.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 7, 2022

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

And to be clear, weekend fisherman totally and completely overestimate their effect on their fishery compared to virtually every other factor.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Sickening posted:

Sorry but no, a single picture on Facebook did jack poo poo to destroy your fishery :aloom:.

Sorry but yes, it’s like a 130 acre lake with one deep hole that the panfish stack in in the winter.

For the next month there was 20+ houses on there every day.

You don’t have any idea what you are talking about.

Picture on lake superior? Sure, not worried about it. Small lake in the metro twin cities that was until then overlooked. Toast.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Stop mocking OP with the cool pike pics.

Cool pike pics, OP. My dad always talked about a Canada fishing trip but he died before we went. Makes me want to get up there badly.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

Sorry but yes, it’s like a 130 acre lake with one deep hole that the panfish stack in in the winter.

For the next month there was 20+ houses on there every day.

You don’t have any idea what you are talking about.

Picture on lake superior? Sure, not worried about it. Small lake in the metro twin cities that was until then overlooked. Toast.

I live in one of the largest metro areas In The usa, I know full well what it’s like. Pollution, environmental incidents, invasive plants/animals, commercial fishing , and virtually anything else has infinitely more control over your local fishery than your Facebook group does.

Hell, after a completely end stream of bitching, Texas decided to do a shock surveys of some of my local fisheries recently and surprise, numbers are somehow just as they were 10 years ago despite even more pressure. Some even more so.

But at the end of the day it’s your picture. I’d you want to make it look goofy to protect the sanctity of your local fishery, all you have to endure is my mockery.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

shaming people for trying to avoid blowing up a spot is a pretty weird flex.

Nice fish OP.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Sickening posted:

I live in one of the largest metro areas In The usa, I know full well what it’s like. Pollution, environmental incidents, invasive plants/animals, commercial fishing , and virtually anything else has infinitely more control over your local fishery than your Facebook group does.

Hell, after a completely end stream of bitching, Texas decided to do a shock surveys of some of my local fisheries recently and surprise, numbers are somehow just as they were 10 years ago despite even more pressure. Some even more so.

But at the end of the day it’s your picture. I’d you want to make it look goofy to protect the sanctity of your local fishery, all you have to endure is my mockery.

I can endure some light hearted mockery, but you came in hot man. I have no idea what fishing in Texas is like, but if you’d like I can link a bunch of articles/studies done in MN that talk about over harvesting of large panfish and the impact it has on the fishery.

Lots of lakes in MN are reducing panfish limits on lakes as they have seen numbers and size diminish drastically over the last couple decades.

I also don’t think you realize how different ice fishing is than open water. Fish grow way slower in MN due to the winter, meaning it’s hard for fish populations to quickly bounce back.

Most lakes have naturally limited access in summer based on boat launch access, parking, and barrier to entry(very few people fish lake of the woods in summer with a 14’ boat or canoe). The lake I’m talking about is tiny, has no boat launch, but it’s a short walk on once there is ice.

Ice fishing is the great equalizer, anyone and everyone can walk out or drive their car in a lot of instances. You could have literally hundreds of people fishing a small basin or hole that in summer 1.) would only hold a few boats, and 2.) may not even hold fish in the summer months. The damage anglers can do in a weekend is immense. There are only so many 9+” sunnies or 13”+ crappies in a lake.

Heck, lake of the woods is starting to see depleted numbers and size of walleyes. The resorts on that lake fish maybe a couple dozen people a day in the summer months, but in the winter? The biggest one puts out nearly 500 people per day, all spread out over a handful of main lake reefs. Not to mention the plowed roads and ice house traffic it gets. They probably have 20x the pressure in winter than summer months.

It’s hard water season and to a lesser degree spring spawning season that hurt panfish populations in Minnesota lakes. Totally different ball game than Texas.

Lastly, I don’t know what the fishing culture is in Texas, but in MN, bass and Muskie are really the only major gamefish that have catch and release focused communities. I’d wager that less than 1% of keeper sized sunfish or crappies get released.

But you do you man, I don’t give a poo poo what you post on your Fb page. No one is under any obligation to tell others where they caught fish, I thought this was just a place to post some cool pike pictures.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Stop mocking OP with the cool pike pics.

Cool pike pics, OP. My dad always talked about a Canada fishing trip but he died before we went. Makes me want to get up there badly.

You should absolutely do it! Not sure where you live, but the drive to resorts are often very affordable. Like cheaper than staying in a motel in the middle of nowhere cheap.

Our trips to Canada are usually much cheaper than if we try to rent a cabin on any lake in MN. I think five lakes lodge that I referenced is like $700 or something for the week, that includes a fully furnished cabin, boat rental and gas for 7 days.

Just do it, Canada is so beautiful and you aren’t getting any younger!

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

You should absolutely do it! Not sure where you live, but the drive to resorts are often very affordable. Like cheaper than staying in a motel in the middle of nowhere cheap.

Our trips to Canada are usually much cheaper than if we try to rent a cabin on any lake in MN. I think five lakes lodge that I referenced is like $700 or something for the week, that includes a fully furnished cabin, boat rental and gas for 7 days.

Just do it, Canada is so beautiful and you aren’t getting any younger!

I’m gonna have to. Did you drive and bring your own food for the week then?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I have started my pond feeding again this year, so any Goons in the Chicago/NWI area who like to catch lots of big Bluegill, hit me up. You can use my bathroom and i'll probably try and feed you booze. It's great fishing for kids, cause you actually catch things over and over. I've been told fishing my pond feels like cheating.

I, for one, refuse to hog/hide my "secret" fishing spot.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I’m gonna have to. Did you drive and bring your own food for the week then?

Yup! Drive straight to the lodge and just made meals in the cabin. Town is about 10-15 minutes away and has some restaurants as well, but we just kept it simple and did a bunch of Costco premade meals and stuff.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Keep posting big fish, DoctaFun.

I like fishing. Catching big fish. And seeing pictures of big beautiful fish. Don’t stop.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I agree that Mr. Texas doesn't have much of an understanding of ice fishing. Small lakes 100% get fished the gently caress out over winter when the hogs come out with their ATVs and binge drink while they pull up everything.
There's a little cluster of lakes not too far from me that get stocked with trout each year in the spring. I went after ice out one year with my canoe and there was nothing at all. Happened upon some locals a bit later on and they told us they are emptied out the first few weeks after the ice is thick enough to fish.

That said, my example is a small cluster of lakes which are situated on relatively accessible crown land* 45 minutes from a city of a million people, in a region where crown land isn't exactly wide spread.
I don't think a larger lake 8 hours from any major municipality, with thousands of crown land lakes around, is at any risk of being fished out. However, OP was put on those fish by the guides at the lodge and there's an argument to be made about the proprietary nature of that information. A large part of why you visit a lodge is for that knowledge. I could probably camp on that lake for free.

Side chat: bringing a canoe to lakes with fly in lodges is novel. People are either very impressed by the fact you got yourself there, or very angry that you are fishing the lake they paid $$ to access and assumed would be completely private.

* Crown land is public land in Canada. In Ontario it's all mapped and zoned online, so you can see where it is and what activities are permitted there. Basically the entire north of Ontario that's not immediately adjacent to a road, or in a park, is crown land and can be camped on for free if you are a Canadian citizen.. provided you have the knowledge to find it.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Finally made my first trip out for 2022. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjwgir82qHo

Polarized drone filters work *really* well for surveying. This is a very shallow(like 4 feet) shoal around 10 miles out. I caught and released a low slot King Mackerel.

Those soundings are crazy as hell

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 11, 2022

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Fuuuuuuuck I caught a big bass on what I thought was a pretty big lure but he loving swallowed it. Thankfully I crushed the barb. Took three tries with some swim sessions between to get it out (he was going to die with it in his esophagus). I was down in his mouth with forceps way deep. Finally got it out. Did a little fishy rehab getting good water over gills for a few minutes. He swam off sluggishly, but I thought he would be ok.

Like 5 min later I saw him floating across the pond. Poor guy gently caress I hate hurting things. :(

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I caught like 130 fish on easter sunday. White bass was practically jumping in the boat. My hands and arms have never been so tired. I had to force myself to take a break which is incredibly hard to do when fish are that active.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'm going surf fishing on Saturday and trying to branch out into learning some useful new knots. It is, uh, KNOT without its challenges.. Ha, hee, heh, ho, hooooo boy :imunfunny:

This is probably the 20th Bimini Twist I've tied in the past 2 days and the second one that (I hope) wasn't total poo poo. What happened to the first? I tied my leader on to the end of the loop, carefully positioned my clippers, and... cut my main line instead of the tag end :v:

This is the one that's getting fished. Not super confident in my locking hitches but I tied a bunch of them. The other end of the loop has a Bristol knot that isn't super duper great either but my fingers hurt too much to keep going, and I still have to tie all of my rigs.

Bonus pic: knot gore, some very bad Biminis and no-name knots in there

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Sickening posted:

I caught like 130 fish on easter sunday. White bass was practically jumping in the boat. My hands and arms have never been so tired. I had to force myself to take a break which is incredibly hard to do when fish are that active.

Hell yeah, what did you catch them on? I've only had a few experiences like this in my life. Amazing every time.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I know I post this offer a lot, but any Chicago/NWI Goons who wanna come fish my pond? The swarm of Bluegill is just getting bigger in numbers and size. There is this beautiful 8-9" lady just begging to be caught. Every year I feed just makes it better. They get bigger and more numerous every year and I have no plans to stop feeding them.

I've been told fishing my pond feels like cheating, and having fished it myself, I can't disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Desert Bus posted:

I know I post this offer a lot, but any Chicago/NWI Goons who wanna come fish my pond? The swarm of Bluegill is just getting bigger in numbers and size. There is this beautiful 8-9" lady just begging to be caught. Every year I feed just makes it better. They get bigger and more numerous every year and I have no plans to stop feeding them.

I've been told fishing my pond feels like cheating, and having fished it myself, I can't disagree.

That’s a seriously cool offer, I’m just not quite close enough to take you up on it. Love catching nice sized bluegill, always a blast!