Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

thrawn527 posted:

Hey HEY, I believe I started this whole thing by saying I wasn't judging...

Feels awfully judgy in here, suddenly.
I'm judging from a place of love. You can have fun just by using the free crystals and piss away your money on IRL toys like me! I do get real tempted when I load up a Grand Arena and see those loving bugs staring me down though.

Doronin posted:

Co-signing on a trip report! Come visit the Disney World for First Timers thread in A/T Travel and Tourism. I'm anxious to see a candid, real-person account of the experience.
Thread bookmarked. It's actually my fourth trip to Disney World and I've been to Paris with friends a couple of times (which is so lol-spensive that this is why I go to Florida more often...) so I have a reasonable baseline expectation for Disney experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Since we all seem to be enjoying dunking on Starcruiser, the lightsaber training looks awful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsLpI-lAfM4

Surely there's a more action-oriented version you could do while still maintaining safety?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

feedmyleg posted:

Since we all seem to be enjoying dunking on Starcruiser, the lightsaber training looks awful:

Surely there's a more action-oriented version you could do while still maintaining safety?

That is sad.

I mean, funny. But also sad.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I see the next wave of The Essential Legends Collection reprints comes out next month and there's some old EU books I haven't read in it.

How does the thread rate Kenobi, Darth Plagueis, and the Darth Bane trilogy?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Kenobi is great. Darth Plagueis is pretty fun. I have no opinion on the Darth Bane stuff but the internet seems to really like it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Kenobi: I agree, really great. If you liked the Tusken stuff in Mandalorian and Book of Boba Fett, there's a bit of the Kenobi DNA in it. It's sad that it seems like, at least from the rumors, the Kenobi TV show will be nothing at all like the book.

Darth Plagueis: Also agree that it's really fun, but be warned: there are a TON of EU references in this. Luceno is known for weaving in EU stuff but this sends that habit into overdrive. Really, anything that even remotely touches Plagueis or the movie-era Sith is incorporated into this. There's at least one chapter which is a retelling of a scene from a novel that came out ten years earlier, but from Palpatine's POV. I wouldn't say you absolutely have to read the other EU stuff first to enjoy this (and to be clear, I do like it as its own thing) but without a doubt, enjoyment of it will be boosted by knowing a lot of the earlier EU. It's also interesting because it ties the EU into a lot of things from the Clone Wars TV show that was just coming out at the time, so it's almost like a weird little alternate glimpse at how Clone Wars stuff might have developed in a world where the Disney purchase never happened.

Bane Trilogy: The first Bane novel was all right, but I think it kind of suffers because Karpyshyn goes out of his way to tie it into KOTOR to the point it semi feels like an alternate KOTOR II. Like Plagueis, it also incorporates pretty much all the pre-existing Bane media into it, but Karpyshyn will put his own spin on it, including what I remember to be characterizations of some of the characters from Jedi vs. Sith that feels very off (and lesser) than the original comics depictions.

That being said, the first entry in the Bane trilogy is still fine, but I think they're diminishing returns. Maybe read the first one and that's it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I just reread (relistened) to Kenobi a few weeks ago and got sucked back in. I’d say it’s actually one of the best EU books ever written. I was hesitant when it first came out because what could Obi-Wan actually get up to on Tatooine between episodes III & IV? But it blew away all my expectations.

Once BOBF got going I doubted that Kenobi would have much to do with the book. I figured there wouldn’t end up being two Tusken heavy series back to back like that. I haven’t read anything about what it actually will be about and am hoping it’s all a pleasant surprise with whatever they decided to do with it.

Edit: In my enthusiasm to talk about Kenobi I forgot to mention that Darth Plagueis is also an excellent book. It’s basically Luceno taking all the various prequel media and telling a backstory that coherently connects it all into Palpatine’s and his master’s scheming.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 2, 2022

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Once BOBF got going I doubted that Kenobi would have much to do with the book. I figured there wouldn’t end up being two Tusken heavy series back to back like that. I haven’t read anything about what it actually will be about and am hoping it’s all a pleasant surprise with whatever they decided to do with it.

With the caveat that this is all rumor, the generally accepted premise is:

Ten year old Princess Leia is kidnapped by the Empire, so Bail Organa recruits Obi-Wan to leave Tatooine to rescue Leia from the Inquisitors and Vader.

Which suffice to say, is about 100% the opposite in both tone and plot from Kenobi the book. And also just kind of dumb overall. But who knows if that will actually end up being the plot or not.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I did not like Plagueis, maybe because I never bothered to get real into the prequel era EU. I could not tell you what happens in it, nor could I tell you anything about Plagueis's personality.

I think Sheev goes on a date in it?

Edit: Kenobi's great, though. Just A+, should read again.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I don't remember a date, but Palpatine does have a line where he mentions about having a girl in every port. No mention of any of them resulting in three-eyed bastards, though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

What’s funny is Luceno had to establish that Palpatine hates his first name and demands to be called by his surname. Probably because Lucasfilm didn’t want to have to come up with one, or he feared making up a dumb one that everyone hated. Then a few years later he ends up being the first one to establish “Sheev” as Palp’s first name.

Edit: My only real exposure to pre-TCW prequels media was YA novels so I only really knew the broad strokes of the stuff that was getting referenced. Still liked it a lot.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 2, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Thanks for the reviews goons! I'll pick them all up!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Old Legends question. I don't have my star wars books with me at the moment so I'm wondering if someone could answer for me. I remember there was a short story in one of the Republic Commando novels where Skirata first comes to Kamino and meets the Null Arc Troopers. Did he also meet young Boba Fett during that story?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I don't think he did "on-screen", or at least the flashback version didn't mention it, but he did know Jango pretty well so it's likely he knew Boba too.

ETA: I hate gboard.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 6, 2022

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I have a vague memory of a scene in which Boba stops by to talk with Skirata while carrying baby Boba in his arms and mentioning something to the effect of it being part of his own fee for working there.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

feedmyleg posted:

"Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi were a great team, they stuck together, just like you are now!"

Yeah, they sure stuck together on the Death Star when Ben immediately ditched the gang as soon as they landed. :v:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I went to see my parents and childhood home and managed to find pretty much every single X-Wing Series book that I read in my childhood (I think I'm only missing one). I was wondering if they are actually worth reading again: I haven't read an SW book since I was a teenager. Are there any books in the series absolutely worth reading? Any stinkers that I should miss out on?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Tekopo posted:

I went to see my parents and childhood home and managed to find pretty much every single X-Wing Series book that I read in my childhood (I think I'm only missing one). I was wondering if they are actually worth reading again: I haven't read an SW book since I was a teenager. Are there any books in the series absolutely worth reading? Any stinkers that I should miss out on?

I'm reading through them again at the moment, about halfway through Iron Fist. As an adult, their flaws are a little more obvious: both Stackpole and Allston really love delving into minor tangents that read like they wanted to get their money's worth out of the notes they took, and some of the character arcs begin and get wrapped up rather quickly. But that also means that the books are trying to give arcs to multiple characters, which is not something a lot of the novels tackle. And on the whole they do a pretty good job. Allston's version of Zsinj is still probably my favorite villain from the old EU, just a guy playing the character of a silly shouty warlord to a tee as he builds a massive financial empire to support his rule.

So far, The Bacta War was the only I didn't particularly care. It felt a bit extraneous, most of the series' plots having been wrapped up in the previous book. I also never made it through Mercy Kill despite having tried twice. It was pretty wrapped up in the bad parts of the EU which I'm unfamiliar with. I'm gonna give it another shot this go around.

On a possibly related note, does anybody know when it was established that TIE fighters run without shields? It seems so much like a balance issue that I have to assume it was in the original X-wing game, but I'm wondering if that was an idea that might have been pulled out of a sourcebook somewhere. It's weird that something that likely started explicitly as a game mechanic became such an integral part of Star Wars lore.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I've read the first chapter or so of Rogue Squadron so far and it's pretty funny that the very first thing that the book tackles is a mission with the X-Wing videogame that I actually remember playing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rochallor posted:

On a possibly related note, does anybody know when it was established that TIE fighters run without shields? It seems so much like a balance issue that I have to assume it was in the original X-wing game, but I'm wondering if that was an idea that might have been pulled out of a sourcebook somewhere. It's weird that something that likely started explicitly as a game mechanic became such an integral part of Star Wars lore.

The basic TIEs didn't have shields in the WEG rpg (which predates X-Wing). I'm not sure if it originated there or in something like the novelisations for the films

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Tekopo posted:

Starfighters of Adumar is an absolute winner.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

thrawn527 posted:

Starfighters of Adumar is an absolute winner.

:hellyeah:

Aaron Allston’s three Wraith Squadron books (Wraith Squadron, Iron Fist, and Solo Command) are very, very good.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tekopo posted:

Mercy Kill is good for what it is and when it was written/set, but definitely feel free to skip it. It wasn't originally mean to be an X-wing book, and like Rochallor said it's so tied up with the terrible late-00s EU that even if it's good on its own, it builds off a poo poo foundation.

I'll also give a warning to Isard's Revenge, not because it's bad - it's definitely not, but just as a head's up that it's a direct sequel to both the Thrawn Trilogy and the X-wing comics (which are set a few years before the books, and which otherwise don't have a ton of crossover with the books). So you might need a bit of understanding of both of those series in order to get the most out of that one.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The first “proper” trailer for Obi-Wan Kenobi dropped today.

https://youtu.be/TWTfhyvzTx0

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Finished Alphabet squad a few weeks ago and haven’t really read since, dunno why it hit me. Was a huge reader when I was young, could eat a book a day and just stopped in middle school, all those 90s Star Wars books back then. Now in my late 30s been rereading them before bed. But poo poo alpha just broke me. No heroes but in a real way

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

a sexual elk posted:

Finished Alphabet squad a few weeks ago and haven’t really read since, dunno why it hit me. Was a huge reader when I was young, could eat a book a day and just stopped in middle school, all those 90s Star Wars books back then. Now in my late 30s been rereading them before bed. But poo poo alpha just broke me. No heroes but in a real way

Still some of the most underrated modern canon books imo

I'm waiting for the flight sim that lets us listen to trashy alien punk on our B-Wing's 8-track :cool:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Cross-Section posted:

Still some of the most underrated modern canon books imo

I'm waiting for the flight sim that lets us listen to trashy alien punk on our B-Wing's 8-track :cool:

Squadrons?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

No 8-track :v:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Also the B-wing was added months after the game came out when the balance was semi-broken and mostly it deserted by then.

Still fun and I wish they'd make a more developed sequel.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The only multiplayer Star Wars game I'd buy is one where you can be in the weeds of ground combat, find a space ship, seamlessly fly to a battle happening in space above the planet, get shot down, crash land as you jetpack to safety, and seamlessly jump back into the ground combat battle. It's just baffling to me that Battlefront wasn't built for that from the ground up, seeing as how that was one of the main appeals of Battlefield 1942 twenty years ago. Every map should just be littered with clone NPCs and players who are jumping in and out of a plethora of vehicles. Less realism, more cartoon heroics.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

The only multiplayer Star Wars game I'd buy is one where you can be in the weeds of ground combat, find a space ship, seamlessly fly to a battle happening in space above the planet, get shot down, crash land as you jetpack to safety, and seamlessly jump back into the ground combat battle. It's just baffling to me that Battlefront wasn't built for that from the ground up, seeing as how that was one of the main appeals of Battlefield 1942 twenty years ago. Every map should just be littered with clone NPCs and players who are jumping in and out of a plethora of vehicles. Less realism, more cartoon heroics.

That was what (original) Battlefront III was going to be, wasn't it?

The new Battlefront games are fine for casual play and the single campaign in the second one is also decent (and draws in a lot of stuff from the nu-EU) but it is funny that Star Wars multiplayer peaked in 2005. Also funny that even though the Battlefront name was so notable it was one of the few things to survive the continuity reset, neither version of the game series we're going to get a Battlefront III.

On a different note, a concept artist for Rise of Skywalker released some of his work that hadn't been released before. Nothing hugely new, but does show that the idea of Kylo Ren going to Coruscant from the Treverrow script did survive for at least a bit into the Abrams production: https://jonmccoyart.com/blog/starwars-the-rise-of-skywalker-sketchbook

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Chairman Capone posted:

That was what (original) Battlefront III was going to be, wasn't it?

The new Battlefront games are fine for casual play and the single campaign in the second one is also decent (and draws in a lot of stuff from the nu-EU) but it is funny that Star Wars multiplayer peaked in 2005. Also funny that even though the Battlefront name was so notable it was one of the few things to survive the continuity reset, neither version of the game series we're going to get a Battlefront III.

On a different note, a concept artist for Rise of Skywalker released some of his work that hadn't been released before. Nothing hugely new, but does show that the idea of Kylo Ren going to Coruscant from the Treverrow script did survive for at least a bit into the Abrams production: https://jonmccoyart.com/blog/starwars-the-rise-of-skywalker-sketchbook

Those abandoned coruscant images are loving dope. That looks so cool, the idea of a city inhabited by trillions being abandoned is awesome.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Good news about the Rogue Squadron movie, if/when it ever gets made:

https://twitter.com/Jedi4Liberty/status/1505262141212958720

Also drat, Stackpole looks old. Crazy also to think his last Star Wars work was 22 years ago now.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

if you still have access to bf1942 i'd recommend checking out the monthly events for the mod Galactic Conquest

battlefront basically ripped it off and simplified it heavily. you can't go into orbit or anything but it's star wars bf1942 which still makes it one of the best star wars games

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Good news about the Rogue Squadron movie, if/when it ever gets made:

https://twitter.com/Jedi4Liberty/status/1505262141212958720

Also drat, Stackpole looks old. Crazy also to think his last Star Wars work was 22 years ago now.
He does look older, but thankfully not in the “keel over and die tomorrow” sense.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Get ready to reset your enthusiasm! Stackpole has clarified that he was misquoted by that guy and he has not in fact been in contact with Patty Jenkins.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Excerpt was just released from Shadow of the Sith, the post-ROTJ Lando/Luke team-up novel. https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-shadow-of-the-sith-cover-exclusive-excerpt

Has what I think is the first reference to The Mandalorian in a prose work, as well as something that fans had only been hoping for since the sequel trilogy was announced a decade ago: Luke being visited by Anakin's ghost. Still absolutely cannot believe we never got that on screen. And that even Anakin's Force voice in TROS was on the same level as Aayla Secura and Kanan.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
My girlfriend picked me up a copy of The Secret History of Star Wars , after years of wanting it. I think someone, Thrawn maybe, recommended it years and years ago, and I’ve been meaning to pick it up. Very excited to check it out!

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

VaultAggie posted:

My girlfriend picked me up a copy of The Secret History of Star Wars , after years of wanting it. I think someone, Thrawn maybe, recommended it years and years ago, and I’ve been meaning to pick it up. Very excited to check it out!

I've read parts of it presented as free articles on the author's website and while interesting, they've really got a bone to pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I have the ebook copy of what says is the third edition from 2008, but I haven't read it in a while. I remember it being an interesting look at the movies, especially the discarded ideas and influences, but very dismissive of the EU. I think the section on Young Indiana Jones is about as long as his section on the EU.

Back when the Disney buyout happened the author was still around and said that once the sequel trilogy was over, he was going to write a sequel book that would basically cover everything at Lucasfilm after the release of Episode III. I think he vanished from online even before TFA came out.