Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Rand Brittain posted:

"Cannot imagine the existence of systemic problems" is honestly such a common thing these days that it really needs some kind of snappy name.
"Liberal" seems to be the go-to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sham bam bamina! posted:

"Liberal" seems to be the go-to.

Unfortunately, the main opposition to "liberal" is "conservative" AKA the ones who that the bugs in the system are features.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Thank you to whoever was talking about Kalpa Imperial recently. I just finished it and it was really well written. It gave me Dunsany vibes while reading it, but the language felt a little less foggy than Dunsany's.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I 100% believe that jkr thought she was being provocative and philosophically daring by putting the house elves in. What if slaves, but they wanted it? Hmm? Is that good, or bad, or something else? What do you think, class?

Big time "let's have a Serious Conversation about why it's not ok for me to say the n word when other people can" energy

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Nomnom Cookie posted:

I 100% believe that jkr thought she was being provocative and philosophically daring by putting the house elves in. What if slaves, but they wanted it? Hmm? Is that good, or bad, or something else? What do you think, class?

Big time "let's have a Serious Conversation about why it's not ok for me to say the n word when other people can" energy

Maybe some. On the other hand, we do have Harry freeing Dobby from from the Malfoys by arranging for Lord Malfoy to "give" Dobby a sock (I know that's in the movie and I think it's in the book as well). We also have Harry interacting with Kreecher and feeling skeeved out by himself being the "cruel master." Still, overall, it tracks with the idea that Dowling is saying, "You need to be good slave-masters to the house elves" instead of grasping that, y'know, slavery of anything is bad.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

DurianGray posted:

Finished a couple of sci-fi books in the last week. One was a unfortunately a disappointment, the other was great.

I'd had high hopes for Dead Silence by S.A. Barnes. The pitch I remembered initially seeing that got my interest was something like: Titanic + Event Horizon. There's even a cover blurb by Alma Katsu, whose historical horror novels I've enjoyed. Some deep space, satellite internet technicians discover a lost luxury cruise ship and find out something horrible happened to all the passengers and it quickly starts happening to them too. There's also an evil space megacorporation involved. The whole thing almost reads like a screenplay.
I'd been flirting with buying that but something just wasn't clicking, thanks for the review, I think I'll pass.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0054LNIQS/

Changing Planes by Ursula K Le Guin and Eric Beddow - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IWTRB4E/

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

You people are putting way too much thought into a book series aimed at 10 year olds.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Cardiac posted:

You people are putting way too much thought into a book series aimed at 10 year olds.

Yeah it's less important because it has an effect on children while they're in formative years

Arcarad
Oct 29, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Cardiac posted:

Hi please go and gently caress off with this dumbass bullshit.

If anything, media aimed for children should have a higher bar for including iffy or straight up harmful and bigoted content. To set this specific bar at "whatever lol don't think about it" says a lot about you as a person, imo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Yeah it's less important because it has an effect on children while they're in formative years

I had a weird realization just the other day that I'm very forgiving of problematic stuff in romance novels, but aggressively hate Twilight for the same thing... and oh, I do have a streak of "protect the children!!!" in me. I like to think that I can trust adults to read a book with stalking in it and go "yeah that's not okay" and deal with it, but when I think of teenagers reading the romanticized stalker in Twilight I get super worried.

This feels very weird because I've spent a long time going "yeah you don't have to protect the children they're fine and smart and resilient" and some of that is true, and it's good for teens and younger to read fiction that talks about serious stuff, but it IS their formative years and you don't want them to internalize those lessons books can present with zero commentary.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Cardiac posted:

I like the idea that you shouldn't care what kind of morals are espoused in a book for children, it's like, you shouldn't care about the mystery in an agatha christie novel, you shouldn't care about the relationship in this romance novel. It's kind of the whole loving point.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Worse for the children: Stephen King or JK Rowling?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

StrixNebulosa posted:

I had a weird realization just the other day that I'm very forgiving of problematic stuff in romance novels, but aggressively hate Twilight for the same thing... and oh, I do have a streak of "protect the children!!!" in me. I like to think that I can trust adults to read a book with stalking in it and go "yeah that's not okay" and deal with it, but when I think of teenagers reading the romanticized stalker in Twilight I get super worried.

This feels very weird because I've spent a long time going "yeah you don't have to protect the children they're fine and smart and resilient" and some of that is true, and it's good for teens and younger to read fiction that talks about serious stuff, but it IS their formative years and you don't want them to internalize those lessons books can present with zero commentary.

Yeah it's not about protect the children for me, it's about "make sure they're not reading things that will set them on a path to libertarian racist bullshit" or whatever. Same reason I'm not showing my kids paw patrol.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Eason the Fifth posted:

Worse for the children: Stephen King or JK Rowling?

Depends a bit on what era of King, but overall, JKR. Stephen King at least has learned and grown over his career and shored up the bits where he was really weird or bigoted or racist.

My brother read 'It' when he was 11 which is probably the least creepy age to read it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Depends a bit on what era of King, but overall, JKR. Stephen King at least has learned and grown over his career and shored up the bits where he was really weird or bigoted or racist.

My brother read 'It' when he was 11 which is probably the least creepy age to read it.

Reading the stand really early I just associated myself with nick Andros,who is definitely a good character. Also harold is a good warning about being a men's rights activist rotting your brain and making you evil.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

HopperUK posted:

And what did he think of the child orgy in that book as an 11 year old?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

trust adults to read a book

I think this thread is a pretty good argument that you really can't. At some point you just have to let people do what they want, and then you deal with the fact that there's always gonna be someone who thinks it's fine to have a house elf as long as you don't beat it too badly.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Nomnom Cookie posted:

I think this thread is a pretty good argument that you really can't. At some point you just have to let people do what they want, and then you deal with the fact that there's always gonna be someone who thinks it's fine to have a house elf as long as you don't beat it too badly.

I mean, all I need to do is look at politics to know that you can't trust adults with literally anything BUT I like to be an optimist and if I start down that road I get into censorship and no thank you

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

StrixNebulosa posted:

I mean, all I need to do is look at politics to know that you can't trust adults with literally anything BUT I like to be an optimist and if I start down that road I get into censorship and no thank you

Still, there's a big difference between actual censorship and you yourself looking at the house elf slave book and going "Nah, that's not for me or my kids."

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
They, like the north pole elves, just need to unionize. :thermidor:

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Life After Life (Todd Family #1) by Kate Atkinson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008TUQ60G/

Revelator by Daryl Gregory - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PCPL3G7/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Everyone posted:

He probably skipped past the boring bit so he could get to the next monster.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

pradmer posted:

Revelator by Daryl Gregory - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PCPL3G7/
This one I really liked, although it's going for a more horror vibe than SF&F. The protagonist is forced to confront her past as part of a weird family cult and you get to slowly uncover what exactly happend to make her leave.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Everyone posted:

He was 11 and so were the characters so I doubt he gave a poo poo and probably skipped it to get to the next interesting part.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

HopperUK posted:

He was 11 and so were the characters so I doubt he gave a poo poo and probably skipped it to get to the next interesting part.

Most kids that age are either "eww, girl/boy cooties" or are secretly curious about the whole sex thing but pretend to be all "eww, cooties".

Source: I remember being 11; and am now parent to kids in that age group.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'm 40% of the way into The Monster Baru Cormorant (just finished the interludes after the first act) and happy to see that for all its bragging about itself the caliper-fuckers from Falcrest are as riven with internal division as everyone else. But man, things are not going super duper well for our eponymous Baru Cormorant.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

After moving somehow twice in the last few years... I'm settled in my new home enough to finally put together a bookcase and organize it. This is a smaller bookcase in my office and some books are missing (as they're in my folk's place in boxes) - but it's a first step towards having my own library at home.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is the reason you have to keep moving because the library you are stealing books from catches up with you?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

withak posted:

Is the reason you have to keep moving because the library you are stealing books from catches up with you?

I buy used!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I love a bit of ex libris, when an Abebooks book shows up and it's got old lamination and interior stamps from a public school library in some obscure place like Chicopee, MA or whatever. Feels nostalgic. (I guess because I never get physical books from my library anymore because I live too far from it. I miss when I lived in London and had one right next to my local tube station.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

freebooter posted:

I love a bit of ex libris, when an Abebooks book shows up and it's got old lamination and interior stamps from a public school library in some obscure place like Chicopee, MA or whatever. Feels nostalgic. (I guess because I never get physical books from my library anymore because I live too far from it. I miss when I lived in London and had one right next to my local tube station.)

I have a mixture of random places throughout the US via thriftbooks/betterbooks/etc (thanks ebay) and then some from my hometown library because they sell books while downsizing and I'll take 'em! I took 'em! Mom would bring her checkbook when taking me to the library some months because she knew I wasn't gonna bother borrowing when I could dig through the for-sale stuff.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I recently got a history book from the charity shop that was printed in 1910 and someone has written an angry note in the front about how it leaves out some admiral or other. I love that stuff. Not underlining/ highlighting, that's boring, but little notes and comments are awesome.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

HopperUK posted:

I recently got a history book from the charity shop that was printed in 1910 and someone has written an angry note in the front about how it leaves out some admiral or other. I love that stuff. Not underlining/ highlighting, that's boring, but little notes and comments are awesome.

Which admiral because now you've got me curious?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

habeasdorkus posted:

I'm 40% of the way into The Monster Baru Cormorant (just finished the interludes after the first act) and happy to see that for all its bragging about itself the caliper-fuckers from Falcrest are as riven with internal division as everyone else. But man, things are not going super duper well for our eponymous Baru Cormorant.

This was a hard book to get through. It’s really grim overall and it doesn’t let up. It’s definitely worth reading and Tyrant had a lot of payoff for it though. Stick with it!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Velius posted:

This was a hard book to get through. It’s really grim overall and it doesn’t let up. It’s definitely worth reading and Tyrant had a lot of payoff for it though. Stick with it!

I've really enjoyed the chapters from Xate Yawa's perspective, and I will be very cross if any lasting harm comes to Tau-Indi.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Everyone posted:

Which admiral because now you've got me curious?

As far as I can make out it says 'Not a word about Shumarez (or Saumarez?) Britain's great admiral/diplomat'

Someone else has worked out the publication date despite it being printed overleaf. I'll try to remember to put a photo here tomorrow.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

HopperUK posted:

As far as I can make out it says 'Not a word about Shumarez (or Saumarez?) Britain's great admiral/diplomat'

Someone else has worked out the publication date despite it being printed overleaf. I'll try to remember to put a photo here tomorrow.

This guy, presumably, although from the Wikipedia article I can't quite understand why the former book owner was so very Mad About Admirals on his behalf.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Just finished The Ministry for the Future and i'm a little torn. I loved the concept of the book, some of the perspectives given and the ideas KSR talks about that could be used to fix the biosphere. However it's rare I just skim over multiple pages in a row. Before I had a kid I would force myself to finish books or just put them down completely rather than just skim. I found myself just not caring about a lot of the more "literary" pages and just being more interested in the POVs and ideas parts.

Has definitely made me more eco-concious though - at the minute I pay a few $ a month to a tree planting charity but looking a making some small changes to change my contribution to emmissions - which I think is a good sign after reading a book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Quorum posted:

This guy, presumably, although from the Wikipedia article I can't quite understand why the former book owner was so very Mad About Admirals on his behalf.

I'd never heard of this guy, though he is in some books I've read so I probably just forgot.

Note:

I cannot emphasize enough that if you turn this page, the publication date is printed at the foot of the next one. Notewriter #1 is correct! Just unobservant.