Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Pros/cons of just paying off the whole car in cash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

You can live in your car but you can't race your house

bet

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GlassEye-Boy posted:

The cons are that you have all that money tied up in a car when you could have gotten a 2% loan that is lower than inflation and put that money into literally anything else.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KillHour posted:

The cons are that you have all that money tied up in a car when you could have gotten a 2% loan that is lower than inflation and put that money into literally anything else.

Ya with a loan rate below inflation the car literally gets cheaper over the loan term in real dollars, even if you don’t invest the difference (but you should)

Guinness fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 20, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GlassEye-Boy posted:

payoff pros:
if you have bad credit and a bad interest rate it may be cheaper in the long run.
not having to fuss with making payments.
having title in hand is more convenient if you want to sell the car. (i'm really stretching here)
removes any risk of being underwater on the loan

payoff cons:
if you have good credit and a low interest rate, you can earn a much better return elsewhere.

generally not paying off is better if you have a low interest rate and good credit

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
If you have bad credit to repair you're probably better off financing like $10k, quickly pay most of it off so the interest charges are low, and pay the rest off over a year or two. Then you have on record responsibly paying off an auto loan which will make it easier in the future instead of just being another first time buyer.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

All of that is obviously mostly applicable for new car purchases, where good financing deals are possible.

Or you could buy a used car. I've bought a new car exactly once and I'm probably never doing that again.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GlassEye-Boy posted:

One pro is that you’re not shopping on monthly payment/overspending on a car.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Great, thanks for the replies guys.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wolfs posted:

im driving my paid off 2017 honda cr v until gas goes outta style. I was idly fantasizing about Honda sensing safety stuff in a slightly newer model but screw it. That’s just more junk that can break in the long run

It would have made absolutely no sense at the time but now I'm wishing I'd kept my 2013 CR-V when I bought my Canyon. Guarantee it'll run to 250-300k miles without a second thought, and as little as I'm driving now that could have been my grocery getter for the next decade+.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
One pro of paying in full up front is just not having to worry about monthly payments. If you get laid off, get hurt and can’t work etc, you don’t have to worry about the repo man

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Head Bee Guy posted:

One pro of paying in full up front is just not having to worry about monthly payments. If you get laid off, get hurt and can’t work etc, you don’t have to worry about the repo man

the assumption is you would have put that extra initial money in some savings/investment account and not blow it all on scratch offs after getting your loan. So even if you do get laid off, you should have the money to pay the monthly.

In that sense, it’s even better to not pay up front because that liquid money can be used to buy stuff like food instead of being stuck in a depreciating asset (that you probably don’t want to sell anyways)

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

MeruFM posted:

the assumption is you would have put that extra initial money in some savings/investment account and not blow it all on scratch offs after getting your loan. So even if you do get laid off, you should have the money to pay the monthly.

In that sense, it’s even better to not pay up front because that liquid money can be used to buy stuff like food instead of being stuck in a depreciating asset (that you probably don’t want to sell anyways)

My used car has appreciated $10k :agesilaus:

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
My thoughts on people taking more loan than they can handle: once WW3 starts and we all get nuked, they're gonna have the last laugh because they at least got to enjoy their $100k trucks or whatever while I was busy being fiscally responsible and miserable.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Koirhor posted:

My used car has appreciated $10k :agesilaus:

It's all about growing your truck equity :eng101:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Truckuidity

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Am I insane for thinking that the Chinese market Chevrolet Orlando looks really good?

Look at that! Six loving seatback pockets! I’m spurting here

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Do the Chinese go crazy for seat pouches like we do cup holders?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Bouillon Rube posted:

Am I insane for thinking that the Chinese market Chevrolet Orlando looks really good?

nope, a lot of great cars coming out in the Chinese market from domestic and international manufacturers. Too bad we'll never get any here.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Sab669 posted:

Do the Chinese go crazy for seat pouches like we do cup holders?

The Chinese market is all about prioritizing rear seat passengers. Most equivalent models we can buy here have extended wheelbases in China so there's room in the back. Basically the culture is based around people being driven around in a car rather than driving it themselves.

That's also why rear seat stuff is full of pouches and other conveniences because again they want the passengers comfortable.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bouillon Rube posted:

I mean if you like that, you're gonna get a kick out of these

https://www.amazon.com/Reserwa-Back...ps%2C101&sr=8-6

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

The Chinese market is all about prioritizing rear seat passengers. Most equivalent models we can buy here have extended wheelbases in China so there's room in the back. Basically the culture is based around people being driven around in a car rather than driving it themselves.

That's also why rear seat stuff is full of pouches and other conveniences because again they want the passengers comfortable.

While you are correct that there is a lot of emphasis on rear seat comfort, amenities, and being driven, this is a lot less true than it once was. Many more ordinary Chinese middle/upper middle class people are getting licenses and driving themselves. Costs of drivers relative to cars is going up quite a bit due to rising wages. Back 10 years ago or so it was almost a given that the owner/user of the car would not be the driver, but now that's no longer the case and driving oneself is seen as kind of hip and modern.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Welp, as we all kind of knew in our hearts, it seems Mazda may now be denying rumors of an upcoming RWD straight-six Mazda6:

https://www.drive.com.au/news/new-rear-wheel-drive-mazda-6-not-happening-says-brand-executive/

quote:

Reports out of Japan over the last two years have claimed a new Mazda 6 sedan is in the works, with rear-drive underpinnings, inline-six power, and styling inspired by 2017's Vision Coupe concept – but Mazda Europe development and engineering boss Joachim Kunz has confirmed to Autocar (16 March) it won't come to fruition.

"It would be very nice… to have the FR [front-engine, rear-driven] concept and six-cylinder engine for a Mazda 6 successor or a large sports coupé. We would like to have it, but at this point in time, it's most important to sell SUVs," the executive told the British magazine.

"This SUV trend is continuing, and even more for Mazda. It's what's selling best."

It's a bummer, but maybe for once Mazda is reading the tea leaves instead of lighting money on fire and risking the company chasing oddball vehicles. :sigh:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Guinness posted:

Welp, as we all kind of knew in our hearts, it seems Mazda may now be denying rumors of an upcoming RWD straight-six Mazda6:

https://www.drive.com.au/news/new-rear-wheel-drive-mazda-6-not-happening-says-brand-executive/

It's a bummer, but maybe for once Mazda is reading the tea leaves instead of lighting money on fire and risking the company chasing oddball vehicles. :sigh:

Aww that's a bummer but if they have to cut it to keep the company afloat, so be it. Does the I6 fit into the Miata? That's what I want to know.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

The Chinese market is all about prioritizing rear seat passengers...

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Guinness posted:

He kinda neither confirms or denies it...
They already made the new FR platform with the CX60, 70 and 90, so I'd be surprised if the next Mazda 6 didn't use it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what this is saying to me is that there won't be a next generation mazda6

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
^^^^

Yeah, I thought I'd heard a while back that the 6 was being discontinued.

Too bad, as for reasons unknown I seem to have this weird thing (boner) for inline 6es. Would probably consider buying one when my Corolla finally dies, in like 300 years or so. If they come with a Manual transmission.

Also, that Chinese Chevy Orlando doesn't look awful. Would probably never buy one if they startd selling them in Canada, but they don't look bad.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 21, 2022

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

wesleywillis posted:

Too bad, as for reasons unknown I seem to have this weird thing (boner) for inline 6es. Would probably consider buying one when my Corolla finally dies, in like 300 years or so. If they come with a Manual transmission.

The Mercedes I6 is excellent, it's finally making it into more US models, and nobody wants sedans so they are depreciating quickly and weren't expensive (compared to SUVs and crossovers) new anyway.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Guinness posted:

That sucks, but makes me feel even better about getting something when I did instead of waiting.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Twerk from Home posted:

The Mercedes I6 is excellent, it's finally making it into more US models, and nobody wants sedans so they are depreciating quickly and weren't expensive (compared to SUVs and crossovers) new anyway.

Why would you get this over a BMW i6?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kraftwerk posted:

They look super similar, and I was daydreaming about an E-class, not a 3 or 5 series: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a26907503/2019-mercedes-amg-e53-straight-six-engine-tech/

I guess that the big differences are that Mercedes is putting an integrated starter-generator mild hybrid system on higher performance cars, while BMW seems to be starting with diesels, lower-trims, and efficiency focused cars. Also the B58 has two turbos while the M256 gets by with one bigger one.

They're both doing the 48V electric superchargers, and dimensionally the engines look almost the same: https://www.marklines.com/en/report_all/rep1752_201808
http://youwheel.com/home/2016/03/27/detailed-analysis-the-bmw-b58-inline-6-cylinder-engine/

I haven't dug to see if the B58 is all electric accessories also, but I'd bet it is.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I've started seeing Mavericks out in the wild and boy that is a really appealing package in person. I hope the inevitable Ford new-model fuckups are relatively minor and they can build as many of them as they need to.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

They look super similar, and I was daydreaming about an E-class, not a 3 or 5 series: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a26907503/2019-mercedes-amg-e53-straight-six-engine-tech/

I guess that the big differences are that Mercedes is putting an integrated starter-generator mild hybrid system on higher performance cars, while BMW seems to be starting with diesels, lower-trims, and efficiency focused cars. Also the B58 has two turbos while the M256 gets by with one bigger one.

They're both doing the 48V electric superchargers, and dimensionally the engines look almost the same: https://www.marklines.com/en/report_all/rep1752_201808
http://youwheel.com/home/2016/03/27/detailed-analysis-the-bmw-b58-inline-6-cylinder-engine/

I haven't dug to see if the B58 is all electric accessories also, but I'd bet it is.

B58 has a single twin-scroll turbocharger, not two turbos (S58 is twin-turbo, it's confusing because they call their twin-scroll turbos 'twinpower'). Also the B58 uses a belt-driven water pump vs. the electric pumps used in earlier BMW engines (like the N55). Some B58's use a 48V mild hybrid system but not all, it's in the form of a starter/generator though as it doesn't have an electric supercharger. Also I'm fairly certain that the B58 cars use a belt-driven AC compressor despite the mild hybrid 48V system.

Edit: Not sure if the mild hybrid thing is EU only? USA cars might not get it, dunno.

Blackhawk fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 22, 2022

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

mobby_6kl posted:

Aww that's a bummer but if they have to cut it to keep the company afloat, so be it. Does the I6 fit into the Miata? That's what I want to know.

You guys are looking at this all wrong. This is great news as I think people were getting tired of the normal "Mazda totally working on a new Rotary ____________" clickbate articles we get every few months.
Now we can get fresh ones with "I spoke to a random guy at Mazda who assured me a Rotary extender powered I6 Mazda6 is coming like ANY DAY NOW!"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

FBS posted:

I've started seeing Mavericks out in the wild and boy that is a really appealing package in person. I hope the inevitable Ford new-model fuckups are relatively minor and they can build as many of them as they need to.

As much as I like my Tacoma and would (probably) never give it up,. I really hope the Maverick is a roaring success.

Have to admit I'm not a fan of the looks of the santa cruz, though again I'm behind the idea of it.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

My first car I bought with my own money was a 2002 Ford Ranger. Its still going strong, I gave it to my in laws.

Anyways that truck taught me never to buy another, as suddenly I was everyone's best friend when they needed to move or go to Ikea.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

smooth jazz posted:

My first car I bought with my own money was a 2002 Ford Ranger. Its still going strong, I gave it to my in laws.

Anyways that truck taught me never to buy another, as suddenly I was everyone's best friend when they needed to move or go to Ikea.

You're supposed to leverage that for free meatballs.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The trick is not having any friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Kraftwerk posted:

Check out this guy who hasn’t discovered how loving awful modern bmws look