Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Do you have thoughts on that one vs PencilVillage?

Good question. I didn't know about PencilVillage until you mentioned it.

But from what I can gather from Andrew Backhouse's website, PencilVillage is $4 for an 8 page pdf. Penciltown is $5 for the whole 37 page product I think. Also PencilVillage reportedly takes about an hour to play, while Penciltown takes 2-6 hours.

https://pencilvillage.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeenovos
Nov 29, 2021

ShutteredIn posted:

I made a joke about cutesy twee animal RPGs being a thing https://twitter.com/metaltxt/status/1429179288402624516?s=21
And then uh… actually made the game. It’s a journaling RPG about being a hedgehog sweater salesman. Seemed fitting for this thread right now. https://hauntedoak.itch.io/sweaters-by-hedgehog

My friend Kass told me you were in this thread since I've been playing Sweaters by Hedgehog and loving it, and she wants me to share what I've made so uh, here's a link to the blog post I did? :sweatdrop: (I'm doing another blog post on Monday, I've got like, 29 more entries I can make in the journal I'm playing in). https://pixelladium.wordpress.com/2022/03/14/sweaters-by-hedgehog-part-1/

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Zeenovos posted:

My friend Kass told me you were in this thread since I've been playing Sweaters by Hedgehog and loving it, and she wants me to share what I've made so uh, here's a link to the blog post I did? :sweatdrop: (I'm doing another blog post on Monday, I've got like, 29 more entries I can make in the journal I'm playing in). https://pixelladium.wordpress.com/2022/03/14/sweaters-by-hedgehog-part-1/

Ahhh this is lovely:) I am shamed, I must get back to my playthrough if I can find the notebook I was using. Or start a new one. My hedgehog is named Fitz after the Agents of SHIELD character cuz he's also just a little guy.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So a kind of funny thing - there is a very good chance that next weekend my BITD campaign I'll be the only one who can make it. As in, the GM can't make it either, just 1/5 will be there.

I figured that a kind of neat thing for me to do might be to do a solo RPG of my character having a day that isn't really high impact on the story, and write it down as a journal.

I've bought most of the big itch.io bundles over the last two years so I have...a lot more solo RPGs than I know whether or not I own. Of the ones I've actually read I think "Alone In The Ancient City" makes the most sense and I' probably do that, but if there's a really striking solo game that makes sense for this scenario I'd love to hear.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

If your character is the sort to spend a day writing letters to people you could take a look at Quill!

If they're a magic user you could use Sigils in the Dark to do some magical research.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Zeenovos posted:

Heeyyyy this rules, thanks! I’m glad you’re enjoying it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My, Myself and Die posted a 'solo roleplaying tips' video that might be enjoyed by some folk here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgVtt8jC2aA

I'm still trying to land on the best solo world-building game. I want to take a proper run at Ex Novo and also The Quiet Year which can both easily be played solo. Anyone got recs? I do enjoy Penciltown but it's a tiny bit too book-keepy for me, I'd rather something more narrative, but that still ends up with a cool map.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

HopperUK posted:

I'm still trying to land on the best solo world-building game. I want to take a proper run at Ex Novo and also The Quiet Year which can both easily be played solo. Anyone got recs? I do enjoy Penciltown but it's a tiny bit too book-keepy for me, I'd rather something more narrative, but that still ends up with a cool map.

Have you looked into How to Host a Dungeon at all to see if that's to your tastes?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

HopperUK posted:

I was going to recommend Microscope until you said “map” at the end. Still, the cool thing about it is that you don’t have to arrange your cards in a chronological timeline as Period-Event-Scene, you can do Nation-City-Person or City-District-Building or any other hierarchical structure.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I've heard good things about Beak, Feather, and Bone in the map-building genre but I haven't played it myself.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thanks friends! I have played How to Host a Dungeon before and I quite enjoy it, had almost forgotten about it. Beak Feather and Bone does not quite vibe with me but I might dig it out for a closer look. Microscope - I *love* Microscope but had not considered adapting it to a map structure.

I knew asking here would bear fruit. Cheers m'dears.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I had the chance to try another of the solo games out of the itch.io Ukraine bundle. [link="https://solipsistgames.itch.io/inbetween-hungry-mouse"]Inbetween: Hungry Mouse[/link] puts you in the role of a mouse who is out and about in search of food to bring back to the nest. Simple concept and simple gameplay as you roll on a table to populate a map, encounter difficulties, collect food and continue until you feel like it is time to head home (or die).

You get one character creation option as you pick one of five different specialties and then you are off to explore the world. From there, the game is entirely luck-based. Backtracking is rather costly in game terms, so unless you have to because of a dead end, the path is functionally a straight line ahead. Pressing your luck and going ever onwards in the hopes of more and better things ahead is about what I imagine the life of a mouse to be, so it plays out as a satisfying story of gathering grains of rice and battling beetles to stock up the mouse larder.

It is nice to see a game tack close to what I imagine the real life of such a tiny creature to be. Hungry Mouse is based on a more detailed and unreleased RPG from the same author. From the limited reading I have done on that game, it appears more like a mouse-based version of Bunnies and Burrows than a mice-as-humans situation like Redwall, Mausritter or Mice and Mystics. Unfortunately for anyone who is looking to roleplay a prey animal, development of that game appears stalled out with the last post to its Facebook page being nearly a year ago.

For what Hungry Mouse is, it works to put you in the headspace of dashing off in search of mouse vittles. It could be played campaign-style if you wanted, but I don't think there is enough variation in the game to keep that interesting. I could see it as being a really good game gateway game to introduce kids to RPG's, a guess backed up some from the (very) limited comments on the game's itch page.

If you don't already have it, I don't think it is the best use of your money to get it at the regular price of two dollars. That seems an unfavourable value for a double-sided 8x11 PDF with one table* of random events. Sure, two bucks isn't breaking the bank, but it seems inflated against the value provided by other games. But if you already have it, it is a pleasant enough way to spend half an hour.

* - I have a bit of a bone to pick with the game's encounters table. At first glance, it says it is a d66 table. In reality, the game uses d6 to generate the tens position and separate d6 for the ones position. So there aren't 66 possibilities, but 36. Of those, there are only 17 different kinds of rooms as there is quite a bit of duplication and overlap. Mousetraps and cats are not among the obstacles that can be encountered, odd omissions for a game about being a mouse.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
That's what a d66 is.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I have a D60 and that thing is basically a sphere. I know D100 and D120s exist but I've never seen a true D66

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It's a d100 but with 2d6 instead of 2d10. Popular in Britain.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

It’s Base 6.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Fria Ligan loves d66 tables.

And Mutant Year Zero has a d666 table.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Speaking of Fria Ligan: my preferred shop finally has The One Ring 2nd Edition core books in stock. Wasn't Shawn Tomkin (of Ironsworn fame) supposed to be doing the solo rules chapter for this? Is it in the core book / is it good?

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Drone posted:

Speaking of Fria Ligan: my preferred shop finally has The One Ring 2nd Edition core books in stock. Wasn't Shawn Tomkin (of Ironsworn fame) supposed to be doing the solo rules chapter for this? Is it in the core book / is it good?

It’s coming in another supplement still. Shawn’s wrapping up Starforged and then doing that I believe.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

The new version of 5 Leagues from the Borderlands is available for pre-order on The Modiphius website. You get the PDF right now if you pre-order. Just got mine - excited to look into it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

HopperUK posted:

My, Myself and Die posted a 'solo roleplaying tips' video that might be enjoyed by some folk here!

While the Quiet Year can be played solo, it was designed specifically to simulate a community where there's no hive mind, and without multiple voices at the table I feel like it would lose some of its dynamic tension.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

The new version of 5 Leagues from the Borderlands is available for pre-order on The Modiphius website. You get the PDF right now if you pre-order. Just got mine - excited to look into it.

I’ve been mucking around with it first the last days or so and it scratches the right itch for me. I’ve been playing and enjoying rosd for the last couple of years, but the crunchier mechanics and the procedural rpg elements are more my thing.

And its GoonMade TM.

It’s pricey at the moment because. PDF is only available with a print preorder and printing and shipping have gone through the roof. But I’m very happy with my purchase.

Misandry Cannon
Mar 7, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Late reply but ive had a great time using Stars Without Number Revised and Blades in the Dark for solo games.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

What do you do for Blades in the Dark?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Doctor Zero posted:

I've been digging into the book a bit over the last couple of days it's been cleaned up and more fiddly bits have been streamlined from 2nd Edition. I like the way combat stats are explained and split out now, adds a teensy bit more granularity without bogging down the game. Spellcasting is also rolled into the base game now and a lot less cantrip-style.

I also like that it moved a little bit away from the "generic low fantasy" setting. Has some pretty good worldbuilding lead-ins with the PC races and the enemy tables, though like with Five Parsecs it's a little annoying that I don't have minis to match all the more unique options. If anyone has any recommendations for bird people let me know :v:

I was going to say it shouldn't be hard to adapt the 2nd Edition expansion content, but it looks like all 2nd Edition stuff has been pulled from DriveThru at least. I get it but disappointing.

Misandry Cannon
Mar 7, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What do you do for Blades in the Dark?

oracles and tables as per norm, it gets a bit fiddly with how the game puts emphasis on asymmetric information, but i have a stack of index cards with clocks i use to make sure any given job cant be just hand waived away.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Charles Get-Out posted:

If anyone has any recommendations for bird people let me know :v:

Look for keywords ‘Kenku’, ‘Arakocra’ or ‘owlfolk’. Great Gimoire had some a couple of months ago that are pretty badass with a unique desert theme.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Greatly enjoying Starforged with a friend in co op as we explore strange precursor signals in our sector. We rolled very badly on all planets in the area (low population, polluted deserts of various stripes for each of them). Our developing metaplot is that old precursor tech is awakening on several planets and making the air quality somehow even worse, and we've gone around shutting them down with mixed results.

We found these weird parasitic birds that cause the security systems of these facilities to go nuts and pump out toxins, and other signs of Manta Ray like precursors in old carvings and whatnot, the dice really playing along to make this all cohere into a proper storyline.

Last session we went to the last of the signals in the sector (picked at random from all signals rolled earlier on) and found it to be weirdly hard to get to and unlike other facilities we found in weird ways. We learned:
1. The "poison" in the atmospheres and from the precursor faculties is actually terraforming gasses because these all used to be precursor planets - effectively terraforming things BACK to how they were
2. The parasite birds are actually juvenile precursors and the "security systems going mad" were actually life support systems trying to take care of them
3. The facility we were now in was actually a cold storage for precursors to come back and reseed the planets after the terraforming was done
4. This was one of many such facilities

We ended the session with creeping dread as we realized we straight up didn't have the resources to destroy this place without leaving and the fact we opened it up means that some of them were going to escape before we could come back in time

So: go play Starforged. It's a little janky and sometimes you'll get results that don't make sense but then later sometimes you'll get to referee back to them and make it look like you're actually a genius foreshadower

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

Man, I'm kicking myself I didn't drop 20 on the Kickstarter for Starforged, because I am really jonesing to play.

It does look like the PDF version is going on sale soon, so I may not have to wait too much longer.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ubersandwich posted:

Man, I'm kicking myself I didn't drop 20 on the Kickstarter for Starforged, because I am really jonesing to play.

It does look like the PDF version is going on sale soon, so I may not have to wait too much longer.

Hell yeah late to the Starforged KS crew

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It should be very close now!

Shawn Tomkin, latest KS update posted:

Digital Edition Updates
We will have a few (very minor) updates to the Starforged Digital Edition rolling out in the next week or two. It's hard to say that something of this scope is 100% error-free, but I think it is in really great shape thanks to the hard work of the team and the helpful input from backers. Thank you to everyone who took the time to report an issue! You are very much appreciated.

In this (final?) revision, there are a few tweaks to assets and a couple of fixes in the books. Check the pending updates in the backer share change log if you're curious!

We'll also be working next month to deliver Starforged product keys to backers through DriveThruRPG. This won't be a requirement to access your Digital Edition rewards; it's just a convenience for those who prefer to keep things accessible through their DriveThruRPG libraries.

Misandry Cannon
Mar 7, 2012
So the kickstarter for the Tome of Adventure Design 2e just dropped and the first book has been frankly one of the best tools for my solo rpg stuff. The 1e is kinda hard to come by at this point.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Misandry Cannon posted:

So the kickstarter for the Tome of Adventure Design 2e just dropped and the first book has been frankly one of the best tools for my solo rpg stuff. The 1e is kinda hard to come by at this point.

I do not like the look of this, it seems like the same trick pulled by D20 toolbox. Look at all the wasted white space on those pages. I think he is going to use a less compact formatting and boost the page count without adding any content. The kickstarter is bragging on the page count and doesn't say anything about new content:

Excellently formatted original d20 toolbox
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/3537/Toolbox

Bloated D20 toolbox "ultimate"
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/63106/Ultimate-Toolbox?src=also_purchased

Oh look he took down the old book......
:thunk:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/97423/Tome-of-Adventure-Design

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 29, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Go ahead, show us a sample of your book on DMs guild.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Go ahead, show us a sample of your book on DMs guild.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/391171/Malidrex-Guide-to-the-Multiverse
:colbert:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Vs

You are really criticizing the layout when you just made 3 columns in Word and called it a day?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Vs

You are really criticizing the layout when you just made 3 columns in Word and called it a day?

I don't think there's any need for this. It's legitimate to criticise a product, if you don't agree with the concerns raised then just say so, you know?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Vs

Hell yeah ill criticize the layout I spent tons of effort making every page of my book have the maximum words on it. Both to match the aesthetic of OSR Basic Fantasy and because I want it to be easy to print.

I posted most of the tables in the book for free earlier in this thread cuz I love you guys :)

Rutibex posted:

Hi everyone I have been very interested in doing some solo RPGing and I'm also a DM so I kind of consider it prep work for D&D night. Anyway I made a big book of random tables because I found the tables available to me to be inadequate. I'm sure some of you could make use of them too, I formatted them to be as efficient as possible for printing (I like to put them all into a binder, so I can take out the sheets I need):

https://www.mediafire.com/file/3zypyaoezv5mrxe/Rutibex_Solo_RPG_Tables.pdf/file

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

HopperUK posted:

I don't think there's any need for this. It's legitimate to criticise a product, if you don't agree with the concerns raised then just say so, you know?

Rutibex has a… history let’s say.

Edit: and I’m not talking about the racism, transphobia, and other bigotry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
For the record I love the Tome of Adventure Design and I am very tempted to get a physical hardbound copy of this kickstarter. I just wanted everyone to know if you have the book already your not likely to get a lot of new content

Bottom Liner posted:

Rutibex has a… history let’s say.

Edit: and I’m not talking about the racism, transphobia, and other bigotry.

sir this is a Wendy's Drive Through