Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

had a thought: lets watch mindhunter again cause it was entertaining

except it turns out if you dont really care, its just badgering_the_witness.mp4 & forcing_a_confession.mp2

it actually was entertaining when i first saw it & didnt think about it but itgi was thinking a out the lady

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 02:47 on Mar 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That show had one of the worst premieres I've ever seen. The rest of the series was good but the performances all felt really stilted (besides the dude playing Ed Kemper).

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Henchman of Santa posted:

That show had one of the worst premieres I've ever seen. The rest of the series was good but the performances all felt really stilted (besides the dude playing Ed Kemper).

Damon Herriman as Manson was loving amazing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Henchman of Santa posted:

yea the performances are great

main guy is supposed to be wooden and is kinda badly written but he does an ok job. the rest of the cast is fantastic imo & ed kemper guy (e: Cameron Britton) is scary as hell

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yeah the way he describes the difficulty in decapitating a person like its someone talking about peeling a stubborn orange is pretty chilling.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The biggest discrepancy between pilot and rest of series I've ever seen was Spartacus Blood and Sand. The first episode is just utter garbage, really terrible. The show after that is great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HopperUK posted:

The biggest discrepancy between pilot and rest of series I've ever seen was Spartacus Blood and Sand. The first episode is just utter garbage, really terrible. The show after that is great.

It doesn't help that the first episode mostly involves characters and places that aren't really relevant to the rest of the show.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm watching Another Life, and while it's a fun series, it's bugging me that these scientist and engineer characters keep doing dumb poo poo. Some of it is vaguely plot relevant but some of it is just dumb.

Not as bad as that alien movie, but it's getting to be a lil irritating.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm watching Another Life, and while it's a fun series, it's bugging me that these scientist and engineer characters keep doing dumb poo poo. Some of it is vaguely plot relevant but some of it is just dumb.

Not as bad as that alien movie, but it's getting to be a lil irritating.

They're not just a bunch of scientists, they're the team specifically picked for the most important mission in human history. And they are all, every one of them, just absolute morons. It eventually doubles back around to being endearing in a weird way.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
it's not that unrealistic if you look at our current world leaders :v:

i kind of like that show despite myself, the ai guy is very endearing and that super gross death in the early episodes was great

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Morpheus posted:

Daisy Mart is a convenience chain in Toronto.

I loved seeing Toronto repped so hard in the movie, it's so rare Canada is represented like that. Even the small stuff like the box of timbits for breakfast that the dad tries to take.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Stargate SG1
Pilot is full frontal nudity and alien worm rape, then we're straight into a lighthearted planet of the week episode fighting Ghengis Khan

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

OutsideAngel posted:

They're not just a bunch of scientists, they're the team specifically picked for the most important mission in human history. And they are all, every one of them, just absolute morons. It eventually doubles back around to being endearing in a weird way.

It's really remarkable how incredibly dumb they are. IIRC in the very first episode they encounter a conundrum that's like "There's a dangerous celestial phenomenon in front of us that has like a 15% chance of destroying our ship if we go through it. If we go around, we'll be entirely safe but the trip will take like 3 extra months". Not only is the majority of the crew somehow in favour of taking the suicidal short route to save some time, they're so invested in it that they literally stage a mutiny to get their way. :psyduck:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Darius. He was an awesome character but the actor who played him had some form of cancer and didn't live much longer than when his episodes aired :(

The holy ground thing was mentioned in either the show or a movie, where the last record of a fight happening on it was Vesuvius, so no one is really wanting to test the theory that holy ground only extends so far.

It's the show. Joe Dawson is describing a legend of two immortals fighting in a temple.

It's me, the guy that loves the first Highlander and the show.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

10 Beers posted:

It's the show. Joe Dawson is describing a legend of two immortals fighting in a temple.

It's me, the guy that loves the first Highlander and the show.

The Highlander show is far better than it had any right to be. I wouldn't mind going back to watch it again.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've only seen one episode of Highlander and it was because around about the time he was in Due South, I had a planet-sized crush on Callum Keith Rennie and would watch him in anything. As a result I have seen a lot of random episodes of everything ever filmed in Canada, and also 'Tin Man' which is a 'darker grown up' take on the Wizard of Oz that would work way better if Zooey Deschanel were actually, like, awake while saying her lines.

...the Highlander ep involved CKR's character out to murder an immortal who was developmentally disabled, I think maybe he had Downs. It was extremely sad and at the time I found it moving but I bet it's problematic as hell now.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Stargate SG1
Pilot is full frontal nudity and alien worm rape, then we're straight into a lighthearted planet of the week episode fighting Ghengis Khan

poo poo I watched the pilot and decided that nope this is a little much for my blood. Sounds like I should give it another go??

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Alopex posted:

poo poo I watched the pilot and decided that nope this is a little much for my blood. Sounds like I should give it another go??

Yeah though skip episode 4, Code of Honor, which is an episode by Katharyn Powers about the woman officer grtting kidnapped into a deathmatch that is boring, and also kinda racist and sexist.

EDIT: sorry, that was a TNG episode skip recommendation, you should instead skip episode 4, Emancipation, which is an episode by Katharyn Powers about the woman officer grtting kidnapped into a deathmatch that is boring, and also kinda racist and sexist.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Alopex posted:

Yeah if you like 90s sci-fi, I'd say give it a go.

I remembered it as something fun and light that was endlessly repeated on daytime TV when I was a kid. As an adult my flatmate and I decided to watch from the start, neither of us having seen the pilot before. It took us by surprise to say the least.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stargate SG1 is a lot of fun, it helps that the cast are all pretty great, though it takes them a while to get into it as I recall.

It has a bit of a deep space 9 kinda feel to it where they can often feel like they're having fun with it and you really like the characters.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

OutsideAngel posted:

If I were positive the aliens were hostile/dangerous I would send Elon Musk.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ok, I just bitched about this in one of the The Batman threads, but Gotham cops are incompetent. Everyone in Gotham who cares must know where the Bat-signal is kept, even though it's not on Police HQ. The open-topped tour buses probably started driving past the building like a week after it started shining.

Once they put out the APB on the Batman, why don't they put a sniper in a tower overlooking the construction site with the Bat-signal? Arrest Gordon when they find him waiting around a lit Bat-signal for his caped friend to show up? The accessibility of the Bat-signal's even a plot point later in the movie when another character turns it on to summon Batman!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Book and tv show complaint

The andalites were from space. Why did they measure time in human units?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I hate it when the background universe of a movie feels much more interesting than the actual plot of the movie. This is compounded by the the fact that the story often takes place in the 'twilight' of the interesting period so we barely get to see the fun aspects of that premise. Examples:

Pacific Rim, while enjoyable, takes place at a point in time that using giant robots to fight Kaiju is on its way out. The heyday of that period is barely covered in the prologue and flashbacks, and we only really get characterization for Gypsy Danger and Striker Eureka's crews. The other Jagers only serve to function as the worf effect and manage to do little for all their cool designs.

Mortal Engines introduces us to a future where wheeled cities roll around post apocalyptic Europe eating each other (they literally call it Municipal Darwinism). But in the time period of the actual movie traction cities are on their way out, London presumably nommed all the other major contenders and all that's left are a few scrawny little boroughs scattering like roaches when London approaches. We only get to see one town absorbed and no pitched battles between cities.

Mad Max Fury Road was great and it just left me wanting more because each city state has so much potential. Even the video game didn't really expand on this as much as it could, the closest you get being the outskirts of Gastown and the implication that the whole story is leading up to the events of the movie.

I guess one thing I like about mini series stories is that it gives more time and room to flesh out the setting and characters rather than trying to cram it all into one bloated movie.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
In the same vein, in Indipendence Day 2 there is a brief mention of the African warlord campaign against remnants of the aliens from 1 (living in the crashed remains of their ships) and that feels waaay more interesting than what we got.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

That Italian Guy posted:

In the same vein, in Indipendence Day 2 there is a brief mention of the African warlord campaign against remnants of the aliens from 1 (living in the crashed remains of their ships) and that feels waaay more interesting than what we got.

Sounds like District 9

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Star Wars calling itself "episode IV" and talking about the glory days of the Jedi and the rise and fall of hotshot young Anakin Skywalker made that sound interesting too

Be careful what you wish for

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

flavor.flv posted:

Star Wars calling itself "episode IV" and talking about the glory days of the Jedi and the rise and fall of hotshot young Anakin Skywalker made that sound interesting too

"Man I want a movie set in post-judgment day"

*The monkey paw curls*

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Panfilo posted:

I hate it when the background universe of a movie feels much more interesting than the actual plot of the movie. This is compounded by the the fact that the story often takes place in the 'twilight' of the interesting period so we barely get to see the fun aspects of that premise. Examples:

Pacific Rim, while enjoyable, takes place at a point in time that using giant robots to fight Kaiju is on its way out. The heyday of that period is barely covered in the prologue and flashbacks, and we only really get characterization for Gypsy Danger and Striker Eureka's crews. The other Jagers only serve to function as the worf effect and manage to do little for all their cool designs.

With stuff like this, there's usually supplemental stuff available (dunno if there is for PR) but it's really because backstory, while interesting, doesn't really make for a good movie. Like, I would be annoyed if there was a movie about taking on an unknown alien threat, fighting a Kaiju or two, and at the end of it the threat is still there and nothing has changed. It would be interesting seeing a more personal story that wasn't about saving the world, but the lack of any significant resolution would irk me.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I actually really like this aspect in Green Knight.

King Arthur is in a couple of scenes as a tired old man and all his knights are basically middle aged drunks. You get the distinct feeling that the golden age of Camelot was decades ago and Gawain, an arrogant fuckboy with no real questing experience suddenly thrust into a real adventure, is emblematic of the state of things.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

That Italian Guy posted:

This makes me realize that there is a lot of room to explore the aftermath of these disasters that the global south will have to deal with long after the victory parades have happened. The warlord and his men didn't have a Macguffin to stop the aliens, they were in post Macguffin phase at that point.

Morpheus posted:

With stuff like this, there's usually supplemental stuff available (dunno if there is for PR) but it's really because backstory, while interesting, doesn't really make for a good movie. Like, I would be annoyed if there was a movie about taking on an unknown alien threat, fighting a Kaiju or two, and at the end of it the threat is still there and nothing has changed. It would be interesting seeing a more personal story that wasn't about saving the world, but the lack of any significant resolution would irk me.
That's why I think it would work better as a miniseries. They did do a Pacific Rim anime though it took place some time after the movies. I guess I'm partial to the monster of the week episodes of Evangelion where each adversary presented a unique challenge.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Len posted:

Book and tv show complaint

The andalites were from space. Why did they measure time in human units?

Did you miss the joke where Ax constantly called them "Your earth minutes"? It happened in almost every book.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

cptn_dr posted:

Did you miss the joke where Ax constantly called them "Your earth minutes"? It happened in almost every book.

I only half remember reading the books but I remember it as Elfangor just dropping in and saying 2 hours lol

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Len posted:

"Man I want a movie set in post-judgment day"

*The monkey paw curls*

My IIMM is when a trailer is so much better than a film that you feel like you've been lied to.

The Terminator Salvation trailer is clearly for one of the best damned action films ever made. Terminator Salvation was a textbook definition of wasted potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Czz-TcWCkA

Seriously, that trailer still gets me going.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The trailer probably wasn't directed by McG.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There's gotta be a word or term for a movie idea that seems like it would be amazing, but the idea gets made, and it's terrible and a huge letdown.

The idea of a movie set in the pew pew future of the beginning of Terminator 2 is probably the biggest, most widely wished for example of this phenomenon.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

IshmaelZarkov posted:

My IIMM is when a trailer is so much better than a film that you feel like you've been lied to.

The Terminator Salvation trailer is clearly for one of the best damned action films ever made. Terminator Salvation was a textbook definition of wasted potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Czz-TcWCkA

Seriously, that trailer still gets me going.

God I would love to see this movie.

On the nose BG music too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmrgN4FuOGQ

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I want a prequel to Get Out. I want to see other people the family has hosed over and gotten away with.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

flavor.flv posted:

There's a reasonable expectation that that could have worked. Lucas just got in his own way. Like hell yeah I wanna see a movie about young Anakin. I didn't though, I saw a movie about extremely nebulous trade disputes and Gungans throwing energy balls. Like Revenge of the Sith loving sucks, yes. But it might potentially suck a tiny bit less if it was the first movie in the trilogy instead of the last. Paves the way for Vader tearing around the galaxy murdering Jedi in hiding, no time spent establishing Geonosians and midichlorians and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

cptn_dr posted:

And it makes complete sense given there's literally no point in saying '17 gleepglorps' to your allies who have no possible way or knowing what that means.