Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Powershift posted:

considering Robertson screwdrivers seem to just show up out of nowhere, if you welded a 10mm socket to a robertson screwdriver you could create a hole in the space time continuum.

If you then placed it between two slices of toast buttered both sides, you might even have an anti-gravity device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Needs more 400-lb concrete block

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I left the special keyed socket on one of my Golf's security lug bolts when I swapped out summer wheels to winter, only found out after I took it for one lap around the neighborhood and went to give the bolts the last torque check. Searched over and yonder for it, even printed out a pic and told some neighborhood kids it was worth $25 if they ever saw it. Fortunately the VW dealer had a set and was able to take the security lugs off, replacing them with standard, but of course they couldn't just sell me the key.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Powershift posted:

considering Robertson screwdrivers seem to just show up out of nowhere, if you welded a 10mm socket to a robertson screwdriver you could create a hole in the space time continuum.

This only works in Canada.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I lost a bolt for the fuel bowl that somehow survived riding in the subframe for a few years.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Powershift posted:

My only problem with Robertson screwdrivers is the #2 always seems to be buried when I go to grab one. I always end grabbing a #1 or #3. Never fails.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/OBwVuaE.mp4
tesla

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
stunt jump failed

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Autopilot engaged

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

slidebite posted:

I know it's more of a joke than anything, but I've been wrenching on my own poo poo for literally 35 years, and I have yet to lose a 10mm socket. I don't think I've "lost" a tool, like ever.
:shrug:

I’ve actually found 2 10mm sockets in the wrecking yard, but I have lost 10mm sockets and at least one wrench, and also both in 15mm (GM loves those as a 9/16” equivalent instead of the JIS 14m standard.)

I’ve also found them later sitting on the wiper cowl or radiator support. Happens when you have to work until it’s after dark and you’re beat.

Arrath posted:

Idea: Weld a 10mm socket onto the wrench. Weld 10mm bolt heads in the backs of all the other sockets. Problem solved.

You laugh, but I have a 5/16” drive ratchet and a few sockets. It’s an Army set I got from my grandad via my dad. The military used them to keep people from stealing the sockets so they stole the entire set instead

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Arrath posted:

Idea: Weld a 10mm socket onto the wrench. Weld 10mm bolt heads in the backs of all the other sockets. Problem solved.

this is already a thing, kind of (but not 10mm)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That definitely seems like something some rear end in a top hat on a car forum would tell you to get when you ask what ratchet set you should buy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

That definitely seems like something some rear end in a top hat on a car forum would tell you to get when you ask what ratchet set you should buy.

Just replace the open wrench with one of these.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cojawfee posted:

its gotten me out of trouble in situations where a wrench doesnt have enough offset or enough space to swing, and a full ratchet is too thick to fit :shobon:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Powershift posted:

Those are kinda neat

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6DQrTOMRC4

I don't see the problem with the cool pig hanging out in the car.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Powershift posted:

I had to buy this set from matco when my guy showed em to me

We call em my mouse handcuffs in the shop and that 7x9mm gets a lot of use in dashes

Utterly useless except for when they are the perfect tool. I'd recommend you buy them if you've got a singular use for them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Those look like they would be amazing once you've got a bolt loose and just want to unscrew it with very limited room but don't feel like swinging a box wrench one click back and forth 4700 times. Or like you said, on self tappers into plastic dash parts, like the goddamned 7mm GM loves so so much.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ford loves their 7mms too. Especially on the coils and dash.

The coils were annoying enough that I sprung for this fucker after doing spark plugs. It's not a matter of if, it's when, the coils die, on the Ford mod motors. And they have to come out to do plugs (fairly sure the Motorcraft plugs I got are probably counterfeit too, so I'll be doing them again :sigh: - I'll go with NGK this time). I also plan to swap to a stock or FRPP intake manifold; I currently have a Dorman that was installed at some point in the car's past, which does solve some issues, but robs a solid 15-20hp (it's a non-performance improved intake manifold, modified to fit the performance improved heads :argh:). So the coils will be coming back out.. again.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

STR: Make sure they fixed the NGK tapered thread into mod motor problem, the chamfer on the NGK plugs tends to mean that only a few threads are seated, and exacerbates the plug blowing out issue. (I'm to lazy to Google if this has been solved)

I love it when a new part comes with a different size Bolt then the OEM. OEM motorcycle coils for older bikes tend to be hard to source, and ridiculously expensive, Chinese made ones are $15 on eBay, and usually last at least a year. It's real fun when you have one held on with a 6mm, and the other with a Phillips head, as you curse and go back to the toolbox again.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Elviscat posted:

STR: Make sure they fixed the NGK tapered thread into mod motor problem, the chamfer on the NGK plugs tends to mean that only a few threads are seated, and exacerbates the plug blowing out issue. (I'm to lazy to Google if this has been solved)

I love it when a new part comes with a different size Bolt then the OEM. OEM motorcycle coils for older bikes tend to be hard to source, and ridiculously expensive, Chinese made ones are $15 on eBay, and usually last at least a year. It's real fun when you have one held on with a 6mm, and the other with a Phillips head, as you curse and go back to the toolbox again.

Oh man, Givi (motorcycle accessories) is really bad about this, their fasteners are not just a different length to allow for the part, but completely different drive sizes or sometimes even completely different drives. Also their bolts are always a different finish than the OEM as an extra gently caress you.
When their manual was also wrong in addition, my hate for their italian engineers peaked.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Powershift posted:

What are they called?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

slidebite posted:

What are they called?

fidget wrenches

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

mouse handcuffs

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

Oh man, Givi (motorcycle accessories) is really bad about this, their fasteners are not just a different length to allow for the part, but completely different drive sizes or sometimes even completely different drives. Also their bolts are always a different finish than the OEM as an extra gently caress you.
When their manual was also wrong in addition, my hate for their italian engineers peaked.

The coating on the fasteners for their racks is incredibly dogshit too, especially for something at their price point.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

What are they called?

Enee, Menee, Minee, and Mo.

They're flex finger ratchets, The Matco ones are like $200 a set, but there are (still expensive) Chinese ones showing up.

https://www.amazon.com/mobarel-Extr...209&sr=8-1&th=1

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Elviscat posted:

That's an ALL THE PLUGS issue, which is why I insisted on Motorcraft plugs. Except I got them from ebay (or was it Amazon.. not even sure, but both are full of knockoffs).... the pictures I took when I did plugs at least show an outer platinum electrode, and the plugs don't have the typical obvious knockoff indicators, but there's seriously no telling if they're real or not without pulling them again. They're enough of a pain to get to that I may as well change them.

It's either go to Rockauto or a parts store for NGK, or Rockauto/Ford dealer for Motorcraft. I'm already having some random misfires (... before it tried to self-immolate the other day) that make me think either the plugs were garbage or I should have done boots at the same time. Boots looked pretty much new (including the springs), and, well, the electrical part is just a piece of spring anyway.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
My brother was installing a lift kit on his Prius, and when torqueing down the spacers on the front struts to 35 ftlbs, one of the studs went snap:

And then another one stretched, but he stopped himself before snapping it.

Turns out a small batch of the parts got made with studs that weren't heat treated. Fortunately the problem was pretty obvious, and the company that made the kit was extremely responsive and sent out new parts quickly.

He's got some all-terrain tires on it now, and it just feels off when you walk up to it, it's great.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

My brother was installing a lift kit on his Prius, and when torqueing down the spacers on the front struts to 35 ftlbs, one of the studs went snap:

Turns out a small batch of the parts got made with studs that weren't heat treated. Fortunately the problem was pretty obvious, and the company that made the kit was extremely responsive and sent out new parts quickly.

He's got some all-terrain tires on it now, and it just feels off when you walk up to it, it's great.

this story started out with me eyerolling, but goddamn those results in the last image!!! looks radical.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

BlackMK4 posted:

Those are kinda neat

I can definitely see where they would be useful.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Utterly useless except for when they are the perfect tool. I'd recommend you buy them if you've got a singular use for them.

Exactly.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I'm OK with this.
Reminds me of Puddin's Fab Shop's (YouTube) Tow-rolla, a lifted '90s(?) Corolla he uses for moving non-running vehicles around in the yard.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Darchangel posted:

I'm OK with this.
Reminds me of Puddin's Fab Shop's (YouTube) Tow-rolla, a lifted '90s(?) Corolla he uses for moving non-running vehicles around in the yard.

Since the Prius and the Corolla share a platform the company he bought his lift from also makes them for the 2000+ Corolla.

Also, there's a company that makes a winch mount bumper support that puts the rollers right behind the Toyota emblem on the front of the Prius.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Well at least it will be easier to steal his catalytic converter now.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Customer states: I just need a tune up

Cadillac SRX dropped an exhaust valve, cracked the piston, and ejected little pieces of exhaust valve into the intake manifold. Pretty proud of this one.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Customer states: I just need a tune up

Cadillac SRX dropped an exhaust valve, cracked the piston, and ejected little pieces of exhaust valve into the intake manifold. Pretty proud of this one.

My attex did that when i restored it...

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Valt posted:

Well at least it will be easier to steal his catalytic converter now.

Eh, it's not that high, it'd have to be a pretty skinny tweaker to get under there without lifting the car.

Besides, if they're at his house looking for a cat to steal, his F-250 is right there.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Eh, it's not that high, it'd have to be a pretty skinny tweaker to get under there without lifting the car.

Besides, if they're at his house looking for a cat to steal, his F-250 is right there.

Prius cats are prized among the thieves, the theft rate on them is high on the list.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

chrisgt posted:

My attex did that when i restored it...

That must've made a noise.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I was all like "that spark plug is barely smacked at all, poor comparison to what the other guy posted" until I saw the uh, piston granola spread throughout the rest of the engine :stonklol:

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I've never personally experiences mechanical carnage like that. Does it make a lot of noise, or just kind of stop running?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

PBCrunch posted:

I've never personally experiences mechanical carnage like that. Does it make a lot of noise, or just kind of stop running?

yes