Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Like lint or a loose coin. You put them in a pocket and forget about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Azov pennies

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
On trains: there is a simple steel ramp piece that can be staked into gravel then spot welded to the track that will derail every car that rolls over it. It simply works by the trains own inertia lifting the inner flange enough to kick it the few inches to the outside, meaning as it comes down it finds nothing but air.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Before anyone asks "why would such a thing exist", it's how the maintenance crews LO/TO a section of track before they start wandering around on it. Can't get hit by a train that's in the ditch.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1505654066575204358

God.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The only reasonable reply is "горіхи!"

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 20, 2022

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Has war crime-ing across the land ever worked out for invaders in the modern era? Seems like all you'd do is make martyrs out of everyone in the city doing stuff like that, and start making everyone in the country fight til death rather than think about ever surrendering.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

Has war crime-ing across the land ever worked out for invaders in the modern era? Seems like all you'd do is make martyrs out of everyone in the city doing stuff like that, and start making everyone in the country fight til death rather than think about ever surrendering.

It worked pretty well for Stalin.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

bees everywhere posted:

It mostly is but the US (and many other countries) likes to give a lot of autonomy to lower level commanders so they can improvise and be flexible while still working towards achieving the tasks they were assigned.

When everything works as it should then you end up with well-rehearsed plans, everyone knows what they're supposed to be doing and they know what their friends are supposed to be doing. But then most plans end up changing as the situation develops and you gain more intel, or maybe a friendly unit can't accomplish their goals suddenly, or maybe you lose comms with everyone. Sometimes the lower echelon units find out that the plan was flawed to begin with. Whatever happens, though, there is usually room for common sense to take over, and at those times the doctrine is definitely more of a suggestion than it is a law.

edit: I wish I could remember the fancy term for this but I'm drawing a blank today

Historian Bret Devereaux calls it the 'modern system'. (Section's about halfway down the page.)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm guessing setting the stage either for a chemical attack or something worse. They don't really have the forces locally to launch any kind of full assault without getting chewed up.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yeah.... sounds like a tac-nuke to me. I hope not.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
You can't "military tribunal" anyone if you nuke them. This seems like scare tactics.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

The time only reasonable reply is "горіхи!"

Had to google translate; was exactly what I expected; strongly agree

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Soul Dentist posted:

Azov pennies

Russian spokesperson: "All of Ukrainian people has touched Azov pennies"

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

The only reasonable reply is "горіхи!"

Any man who is that eloquent deserves to be relieved

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1505624176903790604?t=UugvzxrO9iWF2CWDezIkvA&s=19

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
this is your brain on nu-metal

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Putin is crazy but he's not stupid. NSNW are definitely something in the Russian doctrine, but he is still getting some info from outside of his little circle of sycophants, and somewhere in his brain is rattling around the knowledge of what would happen if he decides to uncork sunshine.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

How long has it been since staind was relevant? 20 years?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Midjack posted:

Almost exactly but Aaron Lewis keeps popping up like a whack-a-mole target.

He's been courting the country music crowd for a few years so it's not surprising that he's spewing GOP talking points.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

orange juche posted:

Putin is crazy but he's not stupid. NSNW are definitely something in the Russian doctrine, but he is still getting some info from outside of his little circle of sycophants, and somewhere in his brain is rattling around the knowledge of what would happen if he decides to uncork sunshine.

Let's say he nukes Mariupol. It's a smaller city compared to some others in Ukraine and a lot of people have already managed to get out. It's largely destroyed anyway. What happens next? NATO still doesn't engage in Ukraine. Germany stops buying Russian gas (and EU stops buying RUS oil/gas in general)? What else?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
after reading how Putin won't invade Ukraine for 'reasons' prior to the invasion I absolutely don't think any argument for why Putin won't do crazy thing X should be taken too serious

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Someone's floated the idea of Polish intervention in Ukraine. Is anyone here able to comment on the state of the Polish armed forces and how they might fare in a real war right now?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tomn posted:

Someone's floated the idea of Polish intervention in Ukraine. Is anyone here able to comment on the state of the Polish armed forces and how they might fare in a real war right now?

Just wait a few days for an assessment.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You think the Russians are going to drop a tactical nuke on a city they have troops in? Mariupol is one of the only places where they're actually making progress.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

pmchem posted:

Let's say he nukes Mariupol. It's a smaller city compared to some others in Ukraine and a lot of people have already managed to get out. It's largely destroyed anyway. What happens next? NATO still doesn't engage in Ukraine. Germany stops buying Russian gas (and EU stops buying RUS oil/gas in general)? What else?

My guess is we wait a tense 30 minutes and if the worlds still here THEN try to figure out a gameplan.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Tomn posted:

A lot of people consider Poland one of the heavy hitters of continental NATO. They have a ton of equipment and seem to do well in NATO exercises.

Against belarus Its a question How much air and anti-air support is russia providing, and comparably How much NATO air support from other ”individually acting” European countries comes in. If even one country operating F-35s currently joins up… (Poland has them in-order, But not yet operational)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

EasilyConfused posted:

You think the Russians are going to drop a tactical nuke on a city they have troops in? Mariupol is one of the only places where they're actually making progress.

At this point? gently caress knows. It would be in line with how stupid everything else is

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Valtonen posted:

If even one country operating F-35s currently joins up… (Poland has them in-order, But not yet operational)

The pentagon cut their own order down last week, so maybe they'll get them a bit sooner.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Midjack posted:

Well, it's been a while.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

It's been a whil--

not caring here posted:

Well, it's been a while.

God DAMNIT.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

not caring here posted:

Well, it's been a while.

:golfclap:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Do not applaud knowledge of staind songs.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

EasilyConfused posted:

There's film footage from the 60s of a Chinese nuclear test wherein after the bomb goes off literal cavalry rides into the blast wave on horseback with gas masks on.

I'm imagining something similar to that.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

There's film footage from the 60s of a Chinese nuclear test wherein after the bomb goes off literal cavalry rides into the blast wave on horseback with gas masks on.

I'm imagining something similar to that.

Didn't the US do something similar except with infantry forces during a test?

goomsnarr
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, yeah...
If you're in the UK, Servant of the People is on All4 on demand for free, not Netflix.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

orange juche posted:

Yes. Even detonated one miles above a group of guys, and there's video of their reaction.

E: NPR link

https://www.npr.org/sections/krulwich/2012/07/16/156851175/five-men-agree-to-stand-directly-under-an-exploding-nuclear-bomb

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

:lol: at the idea of a NATO military not named France or the USA actually intervening in another country right now. Poland upped their defence spending after 2014 but their armed forces are not nearly in the state to fight an actual war.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Reason I think nukes wont be used is there's only one possible source for nuclear weapons in this conflict right now, and that is Russia, it can't be false-flagged away, and nuclear weapons have not been utilized in anger since 1945 and nobody is quite sure what will happen if they are. However, chem/bio remains a threat, and Russia definitely has stockpiles of chem/bio weapons, and a demonstrated willingness to use them, for example, Syria.

They also know or think they know what will happen if they pull out chem weapons, based on the international response to their use in Syria, which was fuckall. Will that be the same case in Ukraine? Who the gently caress knows, Ukraine has a really good PR game, compared to the Syrian rebels, so there's a better shot of international intervention on behalf of Ukraine if Russia uses unconventional weaps, but I wouldn't count on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

orange juche posted:

https://youtu.be/YuKMCtna19E