Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

not pictured: all the red pepper flakes i put in the sauce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

omfg, YUM

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

That cheese crust god drat

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
That’s a killer looking pizza and cheese crust, I wanna taste that crunch!

Stefan Prodan posted:

how do you always get your pizzas so perfectly round and even thickness

even if I roll mine out perfectly round they lose a bit of shape when I jiggle them to make sure they aren't sticking or move them into the oven

Finally got around to filming a video of me opening a dough and making a pizza. Imgur has a 60s limit so here’s one minute chunks of me building a sausage and kale pizza, and the final product.

https://i.imgur.com/LxN6YYc.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/K3QtUfi.mp4

ogopogo fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 28, 2022

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Is that cornmeal or flour you're using?

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Braksgirl posted:

Is that cornmeal or flour you're using?

Semolina, a little finer than cornmeal. Once we started using this it’s a pain to use flour anymore.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

ogopogo posted:

Finally got around to filming a video of me opening a dough and making a pizza. Imgur has a 60s limit so here’s one minute chunks of me building a sausage and kale pizza, and the final product.

as someone who has struggled with my shaping, this is a super helpful reference, thank you

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

ogopogo posted:

Semolina, a little finer than cornmeal. Once we started using this it’s a pain to use flour anymore.

I use semolina as well to prevent peel sticking, but I find it tends to burn in the oven. Any advice?

Thanks for the instructive videos!

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

ogopogo posted:

That’s a killer looking pizza and cheese crust, I wanna taste that crunch!

https://i.imgur.com/LxN6YYc.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/K3QtUfi.mp4

That's a hell of a stretch at the end. I appreciate the reference.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I was surprised the initial covering didn't scratch up the dough too much. Why are you doing that? Is the dough actually that sticky when starting out? If so, is that presumably from oil or water?

Ishamael posted:

I use semolina as well to prevent peel sticking, but I find it tends to burn in the oven. Any advice?

I don't know about conventional ovens here so my advice may be off-base since it comes from my brick oven. You would want a finer, consistent semolina. I think Bob's Red Mill does a good one. You can get coarser, jagged semolina, and even stuff like King Arthur's Durum Wheat can be oddly coarser than it (even though durum should be finer). OTOH that texture is great for pasta and various other Mediterranean stuff. I think rice flour holds up better than various durum/semolina though.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I don't know about conventional ovens here so my advice may be off-base since it comes from my brick oven. You would want a finer, consistent semolina. I think Bob's Red Mill does a good one. You can get coarser, jagged semolina, and even stuff like King Arthur's Durum Wheat can be oddly coarser than it (even though durum should be finer). OTOH that texture is great for pasta and various other Mediterranean stuff. I think rice flour holds up better than various durum/semolina though.

Sorry, should have been more specific. I am using the Ooni Koda, with Bobs Red Mill. It does a good job keeping the dough from sticking, but then I end up with a lot of burnt semolina on my pizza and burned into my baking stone. Wanted to see if you had any advice there. Thanks!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What's your bake time?

I guess I can ask micromanagerial questions about your dough (brand, hydration) but it really only comes into play with artisanal hippy flour. The counterpoint is one of the Italian 00 flours is meant more for conventional ovens and not higher temps. I forget which one (Caputo?). I posted about that a bit ago.

What I do notice is that semolina left around in the oven is going to burn out no matter what. In my wood-fired oven, I can rake coals over that and then puff it clean with an air pipe. I don't know what the Ooni crew does.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I made a meatball pizza

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Those are some big flat balls. Looks great!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What's your bake time?

Bake time is about 90 seconds.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What I do notice is that semolina left around in the oven is going to burn out no matter what. In my wood-fired oven, I can rake coals over that and then puff it clean with an air pipe. I don't know what the Ooni crew does.

I guess that's what I mean, having all that leftover burnt semolina seems like its gotta be affecting the flavor. I have a slotted peel so I try to get most of it off before putting it into the oven, but I am still ending up with a lot on the stone at the end, and I was wondering if there was a good way to bring that amount down without losing the slippery peel that semolina gives.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Ishamael posted:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I was surprised the initial covering didn't scratch up the dough too much. Why are you doing that? Is the dough actually that sticky when starting out? If so, is that presumably from oil or water?

When the dough comes out of the tray it’s fairly “moist” or tacky. After they come out of the walk-in they sit in the tray for several hours to come to room temp, and this releases some condensation in the trays keeping everything wet so that the doughs don’t dry out.
We use a really fine semolina so it doesn’t scratch or tear at the dough. In the first part of opening, the semolina is used as a friction base so that I can palm stretch the dough on the table. Then you can see me slightly clear the semolina away as I go into the slap and pulls. Now I’m using the stickiness of the stainless steel to hold that dough in place as I pull and stretch after each slap. Finally it’s a stretch in the back of the hands, moving to using my knuckles to work the edge, feeling for anything that’s too thick or misshaped.

As far as the peel goes, we use a slotted metal peel as well and it’s a bit of an art to get it on with minimal semolina, then we just shake the pizza on the peel and do a final stretch and throw it in the oven. Trust me when I say that putting the pizza on the peel and launching it is the hardest part of pizza making!!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ishamael posted:

Bake time is about 90 seconds.

I guess that's what I mean, having all that leftover burnt semolina seems like its gotta be affecting the flavor. I have a slotted peel so I try to get most of it off before putting it into the oven, but I am still ending up with a lot on the stone at the end, and I was wondering if there was a good way to bring that amount down without losing the slippery peel that semolina gives.

I can concur that I would start to get some burned crumblies if I try three pizzas in the same spot without clearing the bricks first. I don't know what all tricks you can do with an Ooni. If the stuff isn't caked on, can you blow it back and out of the way with a metal pipe? I keep one on standby specifically to take care of ash and burnt crumblies.

ogopogo posted:

In the first part of opening, the semolina is used as a friction base so that I can palm stretch the dough on the table. Then you can see me slightly clear the semolina away as I go into the slap and pulls.
I hadn't really noticed and I want to look again. I particularly want to increase my speed. However, I'm out at the outdoor kitchen with my concrete countertop when I'm doing all this so I expect the handling to be different. I noticed that my indoor granite can laminate bread dough pretty well and I am guessing you're relying on the stainless steel have a similar grab.

I guess the bad news for myself is that I'll be selling this house soon so I'll be out of most of my wonderful toys for some time. :(

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

ogopogo posted:

When the dough comes out of the tray it’s fairly “moist” or tacky. After they come out of the walk-in they sit in the tray for several hours to come to room temp, and this releases some condensation in the trays keeping everything wet so that the doughs don’t dry out.
We use a really fine semolina so it doesn’t scratch or tear at the dough. In the first part of opening, the semolina is used as a friction base so that I can palm stretch the dough on the table. Then you can see me slightly clear the semolina away as I go into the slap and pulls. Now I’m using the stickiness of the stainless steel to hold that dough in place as I pull and stretch after each slap. Finally it’s a stretch in the back of the hands, moving to using my knuckles to work the edge, feeling for anything that’s too thick or misshaped.

As far as the peel goes, we use a slotted metal peel as well and it’s a bit of an art to get it on with minimal semolina, then we just shake the pizza on the peel and do a final stretch and throw it in the oven. Trust me when I say that putting the pizza on the peel and launching it is the hardest part of pizza making!!

This is really helpful, thank you! And I agree, the launching without sticking has been the biggest learning curve for me. I have only done about 10 pizzas so far and 3 of those have failed in the launch, so I am still in the positives but its definitely a process.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I can concur that I would start to get some burned crumblies if I try three pizzas in the same spot without clearing the bricks first. I don't know what all tricks you can do with an Ooni. If the stuff isn't caked on, can you blow it back and out of the way with a metal pipe? I keep one on standby specifically to take care of ash and burnt crumblies.

I have a brush that I use to clear the stone before each bake, but it just seems like a lot. I am guessing I just need more practice.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Do you have a rough measure of how much semolina you are using to launch? I just use a regular silverware small spoon. I get a good distribution from sprinkling it real high on to the peel. That would make a huge mess indoors but it doesn't matter where I am outside.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Made pizza for my boy's birthday party today. Cranked out 5 of them in about an hour, that's the most I've ever done at once. Everybody loved it, pizza steel doin' work.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

I saw the pizza guy from Posto Boston (Juan Perez) using extra pizza dough to make these tasty looking appetizer breads, so I tried it too.

Rosemary-olive oil-sea salt bread (delicious)

If you haven't, I recommend checking out his instagram. He does some half-speed dough stretching to show the technique that I found very useful as a fairly new neopolitan maker.

https://www.instagram.com/juangpizza/?hl=en

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 10, 2022

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

bees x1000 posted:

Made pizza for my boy's birthday party today. Cranked out 5 of them in about an hour, that's the most I've ever done at once. Everybody loved it, pizza steel doin' work.

I did the same thing for my birthday last Saturday, had a bunch of friends over and just whipped out 6 pies consecutively. Pizza Steel FTW!

Missing a pic of one of the pies :(

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

What's up pizza gang. Got an Ooni Koda 16 over the weekend. I used to make pizza in another life so it's been a fun bit of nostalgia.

Made a poolish dough to test it out. About ten drat pizzas.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 14, 2022

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Hell yeah, those look great

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

FINALLY found a convenient source for cupping style pepperoni: Kroger chain stores carry Hormel Cup n Crisp. I got excited and bought 6 bags.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Does anyone around you sell Boar's Head? I get that at the fancy Kroger (the junky one doesn't have it) but I think it's pretty widely available? I like that I can cut it as thick or as thin as I want, plus the flavor is pretty good.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 19, 2022

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Haven't tried Boar's Head but I've seen it. I'll try it if this Hormel stuff doesn't satisfy. I bought a different fancy pepperoni log thing once and I honestly found slicing it to be a real pain. I'd much rather have pre-sliced.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Has anybody looked into pinsa? What I see is a thicker but lighter crust from letting it rise, but also, like every possible variation you can ever think of.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

bees x1000 posted:

Haven't tried Boar's Head but I've seen it. I'll try it if this Hormel stuff doesn't satisfy. I bought a different fancy pepperoni log thing once and I honestly found slicing it to be a real pain. I'd much rather have pre-sliced.

+1 to boars head stick pepperoni. Tastes amazing and cups up quite nicely. Needing to slice it yourself is a potential minus, but it's not that big a deal.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Has anybody looked into pinsa? What I see is a thicker but lighter crust from letting it rise, but also, like every possible variation you can ever think of.

I ate at a pinsa style pizzeria in SF a few years back and was blown away by the lightness of the rice flour crust. I think I ordered and ate 4 pizzas over an hour or so, super good.
Haven’t tried to make it myself, I do want to mess with a sourdough and rice flour combo and see if I can get close.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Huh, that's the second time I've heard about rice flour in pinsa. The other was some YouTube video from some Italian pinsa place going on about how it was the original Roman bread, they were recreating that, and then talked about all these gluten-free alternative flours they were using to make it. Soy flour didn't really add up to me as a Roman recreation, so I didn't know what to think of that. It looked like a high-hydration dough, not a ... low-gluten cake?

Edit: Something I also saw a lot of looked like they were stretch it out and resting it over a giant mound of semolina.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Used the Hormel Cup and Crisp for tonight's pizza and welp, they absolutely do the thing, but we didn't like the taste very much. I'll try Boar's Head next if I can find it presliced.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Delicious red pie but I might have put on too much garlic….if that’s even a thing :ohdear:

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I'm not trying to be rude here but I'm having a hard time understanding a person who will make a pizza dough and pizza sauce from scratch but draws the line at taking thirty seconds to cut up a half a stick of pepperoni. But hey, they're your pies.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I cut corners where I can. I derive quantifiable benefit from making the dough and sauce and hand grating cheese, but I can get perfectly good presliced pepperoni and save myself some bandwidth.

There's logic to it, even if it's stupid logic :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Got a mandolin?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

BraveUlysses posted:

Got a mandolin?

oh god, those machines might as well be purpose-made to send you to the ER for stitches.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well, how crazy do you want to get with this?

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-pizza-lab-why-does-pepperoni-curl

I remember seeing some theory also about leanness affecting cupping, but I cannot recall which way it went.

Anyways, one reason to consider slicing your own if you cannot source slices locally is that you can make an online order. The good stuff does not need to be refrigerated and is amenable to shipping.

For the record, I have had to get non-cupping here since my wife prefers flat pepperoni. Such is life.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Huh, that's the second time I've heard about rice flour in pinsa. The other was some YouTube video from some Italian pinsa place going on about how it was the original Roman bread, they were recreating that, and then talked about all these gluten-free alternative flours they were using to make it. Soy flour didn't really add up to me as a Roman recreation, so I didn't know what to think of that. It looked like a high-hydration dough, not a ... low-gluten cake?

Edit: Something I also saw a lot of looked like they were stretch it out and resting it over a giant mound of semolina.

yeah, there's a lot of unsourced talk about how pinsa is some sort of ancient Roman tradition, but as far as I can tell that's bogus. What it is, is a 21st century variation on pizza al taglio (invented in 2001 by Corrado di Marco) made with rice and soy flour. And it's great! I've never been super successful making it at home (used Katie Parla's recipe for the dough) but now I want to try it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
It's finally warm enough to cook outdoors!

Question: the local supermarket had Caputo flour on sale! So far it's working well for me, but which type is good? They had "Pizzeria" and "Nuvola".