Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Metaline posted:

A couple of years ago, my half-asleep fiancé put the electric kettle on the stovetop, then went to the bathroom. The fire only destroyed the kettle, thankfully. I still find little sooty pieces of burnt plastic in nooks and crannies.

This is like, what people with dementia do that prompts the family to put them in a home for their own safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Eh, we'd just moved the kettle to the other side of the kitchen like 2 days before. Accidents happen!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

wizardofloneliness posted:

AITA for telling him to move back to the pig pen he came from?

the cat had dragged his dirty clothing from the bathroom in to her liter box

Even the cat says this guy is a dirty rear end in a top hat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Metaline posted:

A couple of years ago, my half-asleep fiancé put the electric kettle on the stovetop, then went to the bathroom. The fire only destroyed the kettle, thankfully. I still find little sooty pieces of burnt plastic in nooks and crannies.

American tourists are apparently notorious for doing this in UK/Australian/NZ hotels and cabins, having seemingly never heard of one and unable to read basic instructions.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

American tourists are apparently notorious for doing this in UK/Australian/NZ hotels and cabins, having seemingly never heard of one and unable to read basic instructions.

holy poo poo overseas hotels come with stoves in the room?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Dr. Stab posted:

But, why then is the "no kettles" thing just in america and not the rest of the 120v world?

It’s not actually a factor when compared to a microwave, because a microwave is also an electric appliance and plugs into the same power grid as the kettle, whatever that is :ssh:

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
LMAO at the redditor who thinks the woman willing to risk serious injury in the name of style is going to start voluntarily using a cane everywhere she goes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Human Tornada posted:

LMAO at the redditor who thinks the woman willing to risk serious injury in the name of style is going to start voluntarily using a cane everywhere she goes.

What if it's a really stylish cane?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What if it's a really stylish cane?

As someone who would appreciate such a thing they are few and far between and you're pretty much limited to decorating with stickers. :( Most decorated ones outside plain colours are the ugliest prints you'd find in a great aunt's closet.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

subpar anachronism posted:

As someone who would appreciate such a thing they are few and far between and you're pretty much limited to decorating with stickers. :( Most decorated ones outside plain colours are the ugliest prints you'd find in a great aunt's closet.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I didnt put any thought towards kettles until my college boarding house had one and it was real convenient when you need warm water and other people are using the other appliances. I got a free one at work and kept it. My free one automatically shuts off when it gets hot enough, making it as safe as a microwave

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Well safe for causing fires, not for mutating my DNA or lowering the nutrient content of my water

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Dr. Stab posted:

Here's my hot appliance take: I don't really have a need for a toaster. Everyone seems to have one, but, like, toast isn't a big part of my diet. I guess I'm just supposed to have one in case I want to get some eggos or pop tarts or something?

Well, of course! You can do much more versatile stuff with a toaster oven. :haw:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA For taking a poop in my own bathroom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dXc2W1uWck

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Breetai posted:

Beats loving about with a cooking thermometer.

OK, as an American who drinks a lot of red, white and green teas, I'm now interested in an electric kettle. My quick google search didn't turn up this model but it's exactly what I'd want. Do you know the brand of the one pictured?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Troublemaker posted:

OK, as an American who drinks a lot of red, white and green teas, I'm now interested in an electric kettle. My quick google search didn't turn up this model but it's exactly what I'd want. Do you know the brand of the one pictured?

It's a Russel Hobbes Addison, and it's worth every penny.

https://au.russellhobbs.com/product/RHK510BLK-addison-digital-kettle-matte-black

Not sure if it's available stateside, but you can get it via amazon.com.au, so if the dealer delivers to the US you may be in luck.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

pentyne posted:

holy poo poo overseas hotels come with stoves in the room?

those exist in north america, it's just been my experience that you have to specifically ask because not all hotels have 'em and most people don't want 'em. I used to travel a lot to absolutely garbage nowhere towns for work and having a way to prepare your own food is necessary to maintain sanity and a healthy weight because otherwise you're spending the next several weeks eating nothing but bugers and whatever the truck stop / gas station has

one place had a full stove+oven setup but the rest had those little induction cooktops with no oven and there was usually a random assortment of cookware and utensils. you want to pack your own cooking tools though because otherwise you could find yourself in a situation where you've got to somehow prepare food using a whisk and a pot lid

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That really is one of the great line reads of all time.

And I can make a reference to that movie almost on topic. The second time I saw it was with my girlfriend and one of her (female) friends. So when we got to the jump scare in med center with the facehugger in a jar I knew to be watching them, not the movie. Their reactions did not disappoint. That aside, they loved the movie.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Breetai posted:

It's a Russel Hobbes Addison, and it's worth every penny.

https://au.russellhobbs.com/product/RHK510BLK-addison-digital-kettle-matte-black

Not sure if it's available stateside, but you can get it via amazon.com.au, so if the dealer delivers to the US you may be in luck.

Awesome, thank you!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Troublemaker posted:

Awesome, thank you!

If that one is hard to find, I can vouch for this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CPK-17-PerfecTemp-1-7-Liter-Stainless/dp/B003KYSLNQ

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Boyfriend (25M) wants me (24F) to be more feminine and give up watching sports

quote:

I (24F) am having a problem that seems to be the opposite of what a lot of people experience. I have been dating my boyfriend (25M) for a bit over a year and a half. We don't live together but usually spend a couple weeknights each week together at one of our places, plus a lot of the weekend. We both work full time at remote work jobs and are building pretty good careers although obviously pretty early on in our progressions there.

My BF loves watching sports, especially (American) football. And, so do I - we actually met at a Super Bowl party. Last year was great because we watched a lot of games together. However, for this season (which started in September) he told me he was "getting concerned" about my femininity and said his attraction to me was becoming less because of my love for football. That I am seeming like "one of the guys" instead of a GF.

I do have a pretty typically feminine appearance, though! I fix my hair and wear makeup and jewelry and always put on a cute outfit when seeing my BF. I don't yell/swear at the TV or eat messy snacks. I have never ignored him to watch football (again, he is usually watching the games too). I work out most days (running and yoga) and it's not like I'm just sitting around watching TV all the time, day in and day out. If we're not together during the games, I usually have the TV on in the background while folding laundry or doing other low-key chores, or get in an extra hour on the exercise bike.

He doesn't want me to watch football, at all, whether or not we are together during that time. Wants me to act like I don't know anything about the players and the strategy. He says this is because he really sees me as "wife material" but we need to get over this hurdle.

This is all just so strange to me because so, so many guys tell me that their girlfriends/wives don't like sports and complain about them watching sports. My head is telling me I should break up with him so I can be free to find someone who doesn't want to change me (especially in such a hypocritical and gender-stereotyped way) but my heart reminds me of all the great times we have had together.

TL;DR: My BF has decided he doesn't want me watching sports, especially football, because it isn't "feminine," even though we met at a Super Bowl party. Trying to decide if I should break up, accommodate him, or try to talk to him more before making a decision.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Invisible Clergy posted:

she couldn't possibly just leave him without collecting proper documentation of appropriate violations to present in relationship court (which are always magically something worse than what the partner is actually doing). That would be mean!

Ugh I've just realised this is probably an outgrowth of "the worst thing a woman can ever do is make a man look bad". Leaving him or kicking him out makes him look bad, so you have to show well-documented and attested evidence to as to why you've done such a terrible thing to him.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Yup; this is the one that replaced the burned kettle. I LOVE it!

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Thanks! It looks like the Australian one is found only in Australia. Even eBay failed me.

The linked one looks good. I'm looking at this one as well:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TYGG2S3/?coliid=I341YDBSWN6PPR&colid=1574IWOFI7PP7&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Sorry for the kettle chat, but thanks for the recommendations!

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Guys like this don't like girls who like sports; they like girls who like guys who like sports. Grow a spine, OP. Find a quality mate who will allow you to know the players' names and eat messy snacks if you want to.

Runcible Cat posted:

Ugh I've just realised this is probably an outgrowth of "the worst thing a woman can ever do is make a man look bad". Leaving him or kicking him out makes him look bad, so you have to show well-documented and attested evidence to as to why you've done such a terrible thing to him.

Yes.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

My (20+M) girlfriend (20+F) won't let me buy a butt.

quote:

My girlfriend wants to buy a vibrator, and I told her if she does I would buy one of those butt-shaped fleshlights. She doesn't think this is fair because she says I can get off with my hands but she can't/has a difficult time reaching o in general. She thinks that I will have reduced sensitivity with her if I buy the butt.

Now she won't buy it, but I said she can- I just think I am allowed to get a masturbation tool for myself too!

Thoughts? She is helping me type this post if anyone is worried about skewed perspective lmao!

Edit:

It is getting pretty late, so I think I will turn off reply notifs for this post and head to bed. But there is some good discussion down below for anyone that stops by this post.

For final thoughts, I do want to say that this post is in good fun or at least that it is not as serious as some folks seem to think it is. Also some redditors below gave some good insights and advice that helped me and my girlfriend out and y'all should definitely take a read!

I don't think I will get the butt- even if she does get a vibrator lol

excuse me they're called sex arses

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
This kid is These kids are awesome!

AITA for serving my sister's husband dinner using toy utensils?

quote:

I, m17, moved in with you sister after my parents kicked me out for coming out (another story) they said I'll be here temporarily til I get back to "normal" which I don't think I will, lol. But uh...anyways, so I moved in with my sister and her husband about a month ago. FYI she does everything around the house (I started helping here and there) as well as looking after a 2 year old niece and now she's 6 months pregnant. BIL does nothing because he's the breadwinner as he claims but imo he's taken it a bit too far. e.g he'd tell her to start his laundry once he takes off his clothes, put dinner on the table once he's home, get the shower ready and so on.

They fight a lot cause my sister is exhausted and burnt out, I usually put my headphones on and mind my own business but 2 nights ago there was a lot of commotion once heart home so I went to see what the issue was. Turns BIL was complaining about dinner and my sister was too exhausted to get up. I mean the dinner was already cooked but he wanted her to put it for him on the table. I told my sister I'd do it, but instead of using their kitchen utensils, I used my niece's toy utensils like toy cup, toy plate, toy fork and knife and a tiny napkin. I put the food on the toy plate and the drink in the toy cup while BIL was in the shower. He then came into the kitchen and sat down and stared at the plate for few seconds. He then looked at me and asked what the he'll this was, and whether I was joking. I told him if he wanted to act like a helpless child, then he might as well get treated like one. He began yelling and my sister came inside. He then threw the napkin and stormed off upon saying that I'd disrespected him and that he'll let my parents know about what I did. My sister saw what I'd done and started laughing. I went inside my room but the argument didn't stop, now he's expecting an apology for me for meddling in his marriage and pulling this crappy stunt on him. I could be TA for this but I was just so mad for my sister and also sick and tired of being sick and tired of the nightly fighting over dinner.

EDIT to add one I kept open for hours because I had to go to work but I don't remember seeing it posted.....

My dad is furious that my mom slept with other people in an open marriage he wanted.

quote:

My parents got married when they were super young. My dad knocked up my mom, and their parents married them off. My grandfather was able to set up some business for my dad in a big city, and they moved here soon after my birth.

My mom grew up in a conservative southern town where she was taught to be a submissive wife. And even after moving to the big city, she didn't spend much time socializing. She had no friends and never went out. My dad was only there to provide for us. He was always away on business, and he wasn't there as a husband for my mom or as a father to me.

My dad made a lot of money, so we never lacked anything. Growing up, I became my mom's best friend. We would talk about everything. I pushed her to make friends and to find hobbies. After years of pushing, she started going to a nearby park and made her first friend, a gym trainer. Encouraged by her friend and me, she decided to join the gym.

She met a few more people there and started having some semblance of a social life, but she still continued to tell me everything.

I think my dad's new secretary gave him the idea, but he asked my mom for an "open marriage" almost a year ago. He told her he wasn't happy in their marriage and that she wasn't providing him with everything he wanted. My mom, who is a "christian wife", was mortified and told me about the proposal in tears. I suggested she get a divorce, but she said she didn't believe in it and she wouldn't be the one to end their marriage.

As my dad pushed, I knew exactly where this would end up if my mom agreed. Her friend and I convinced her. My mom was hesitant at first, but she agreed with the condition that they would be completely transparent with each other.

My dad was a middle aged (41) man with a belly and my mom (39) was an athletic woman who worked out regularly. I'm a 22 yo woman btw. I don't know how my dad was so blind or what he thought would happen. I helped create online dating profiles for my mom almost six months ago. After getting an insane number of matches, choosing from them and chatting with them for months, my mom started hooking up with a few people. Getting all this attention has provided a massive boost to her confidence and she seems better.

My dad hooked up with his secretary almost immediately. He's had very little luck with other ladies. With their transparency thing, my mom tells him about all her hook ups. A few weeks ago, my dad screamed at my mom for some minor thing. Usually, my mom would've apologised but with her new confidence, she didn't back down.

It's been constant fights the last few weeks. My dad keeps starting fights by making snide remarks about my mom's clothing or appearance. He almost even called my mom a whore but stopped himself. I think "open marriage" finally sunk in. My mom told me he tried to have a conversation about stopping their "open marriage" but she immediately shot it down. I think they'll split up.

My dad was never there for either of us but the thought of my parents splitting up still feels weird. I don't feel bad for my dad but I wish he put effort into his family. I'm happy for my mom though.

Evil Willow fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 21, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There are guys who would fist-fight in an upscale eatery parking lot for this woman and shes wasting her time on Reddit.

No matter how awful you are at girlfriending just remember Kirk Cousins still has a job.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Evil Willow posted:

This kid is These kids are awesome!

AITA for serving my sister's husband dinner using toy utensils?

You found it: the one appropriate time to bite the hand that feeds. Great post.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Invisible Clergy posted:

Guys like this don't like girls who like sports; they like girls who like guys who like sports. Grow a spine, OP. Find a quality mate who will allow you to know the players' names and eat messy snacks if you want to.

Also it is a real telling :redflag: about what other sexist ideas are part of his “wife material” rubric that he is hoping you won’t find out until you’re already married and/or pregnant.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

If this guy wants to be a dumb barbarian sitcom husband with a sitcom wife, she should do sitcom things like drag him to the opera.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also it is a real telling :redflag: about what other sexist ideas are part of his “wife material” rubric that he is hoping you won’t find out until you’re already married and/or pregnant.

It's gonna be the same poo poo as the other assholes that demand to be waited on like their home is a restaurant and have a shower prepared for them. Never do laundry, never wash a plate, and she'll end up like the pregnant sister in the other post. Because that's that dude.

Bite his hand.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
AITA for deleting my husbands YouTube channel?

quote:

My husband is really obsessed with youtubers, and believes we can become really wealthy as family vloggers. In the beginning I was supportive, but it’s getting increasingly bizarre and embarrassing.

Our family consist of myself, him, our 3 year old daughter, and his 71 year old grandpa (we live in his house). His pitch for our YouTube channel is basically the ace family plus a “demented” cooking grandpa. What this means is we pretend his grandpa’s cars are ours and so is house, and we’re taking care of him (side note: his grandpa is very healthy and all there mentally). Grandpa’s role in this is to cook a lot of food for my daughter and orphans at a certain time of the day while my husband records him. It’s basically the YouTubers ace family and Indians grandpa combined. After grandpa cooks and send food to the local homeless (orphanages doesn’t want the food), me and my husband sit around and talk about how his grandpa is so inspiring despite his illness and how he sundowns really bad.

His grandpa agreed to this because he thinks it is a cooking show starring him, but he complains that he doesn’t want to cook so much food everyday. I feel really bad because he’s cooking so much food and we don’t even get views. Eventually my husbands mom found out about the channel and demands we take everything down. Grandpa also says he doesn’t want to cook for homeless everyday and only for my daughter. I got scared that we were going to kicked out so I deleted the YouTube videos. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

El Spamo posted:

It's gonna be the same poo poo as the other assholes that demand to be waited on like their home is a restaurant and have a shower prepared for them. Never do laundry, never wash a plate, and she'll end up like the pregnant sister in the other post. Because that's that dude.

Bite his hand.

There's a real familiar and creepy vibe of the guys who basically expect a woman to suddenly turn into a 50s sitcom housewife and give up all their individuality and autonomy even if it's what they initially liked. Or that one guy who talked his babymama out of an abortion and is then shocked that she signed over parental rights to him rather than suddenly Becoming A Mom.

The whole idea of The Life Path really is drilled into a lot of people and collides with reality in terrible and occasionally hilarious ways.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

artsy fartsy posted:

AITA for deleting my husbands YouTube channel?

This is cursed

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for arguing with my friend about pokemon probablity

quote:

relevant context: idk

so my friend and I had a pointless fight. he was beating me in pokemon staling with rest (a pokemon move) and he kept waking up after 2 turns (I did not know, that it was a game mechanic) so I said he was lucky. he got annoyed and I kept saying he was very lucky and said it was a game mechanic I did get annoyed and looked it up and I was wrong and I learned that. so after that, he kept staling with rest he got a move that hits me I thought that he got the same move last round but he did not. he said that it would be impossible for him to get rest again. I said that percentages don't change he got mad and said they do and he has done countless hours in researching game development. I said there is no pity system in pokemon when it comes to sleep talk. he then went on saying how he has researched game development for countless hours. then I said to explain how the game works then he said get the gently caress out (we were in a call with others) and he said that as a reply to every single time I said to explain till he left the call and kicked me from the server

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
One more thing to consider with the Great Kettle Derail of 2022 is that if your stove is gas you are cooking with a fossil fuel in your kitchen, whereas with an electric kettle you're not. (A kettle is even better if your electricity supplier uses renewables). Gas stoves give off surprisingly and alarmingly high levels of unhealthy emissions.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've got bad news for you about what fuels my local powerplant...
Anyways, isn't natural gas considered near-renewable?

As penance for the derail, have some meat and potatoes:

Partner says I don’t put out so he shouldn’t kiss me or hug me.

quote:

I (30F) went to give my partner(32M) a kiss and a hug goodnight, he pushed me away and I asked what was wrong. He said “all you wanna do is kiss and hug and you don’t put out… what do I get out of it?” He hates kissing, and I always give him affectionate pecks, and never receive anything more. I feel like he disrespectfully told me about an issue. However he NEVER hits on me, he won’t try make out with me to turn me on for sex, he will just ask for it outright or throw lube my way. Like sorry, please go to SOME effort to turn me on. He may be horny but doesn’t realise he has to turn me on! I don’t know how I should respond to this as I’ve just gone to bed now confused and I feel it was a disrespectful thing to say to me. (We live together and have been together for two years, he is up gaming and I have work in the morning so I’m sleeping in spare room so he doesn’t keep me up).

TL;DR boyfriend said he doesn’t want to kiss me because I “don’t put out”.

(24F) feeling disrespected by my partner (30M)

quote:

I have been with my partner 3 years now and we get on 95% of the time and I love him more than anything, but there’s always one reoccurring issue that comes up that I’m not sure how to deal with. At times I feel really disrespected by him and he doesn’t seem to understand what he’s doing wrong.
The latest example of this was this morning. We were both talking about our days and I mentioned that I was due to have a very busy day at work today. At that point he just started laughing at me.
He has always made it pretty obvious that he thinks my job is ‘easy’ as it is a desk job working from home, where he does a very physical job. But I work in a high pressure finance job and so can have really hard and stressful days.
I would often let something like this slide to avoid an argument, but this got to me this morning and I called him out on it. I told him how upset and disrespected I feel that he would just sit there and laugh at me and my job in my face. At this point he just started making fun of me more, laughing at the words I was saying.
When I didn’t stop being upset, he got very defensive and told me that I was attacking him and I was always so horrible to him. But all I had done was told him how upset I felt. I said that if he could even just apologise we could move on, but he said he had done nothing wrong.
He’s gone to work now and I’ve told him I want to have a serious talk later, but how do I approach this in a way that will not have the same result as earlier?

TL:DR - my partner laughs at me and my job and it upsets me, but he won’t admit he has done anything wrong, how do I approach this?

I love how self-respect and standards are just apparently for other people, not redditors.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Serephina posted:

I've got bad news for you about what fuels my local powerplant...

As penance for the derail, have some meat and potatoes:

Partner says I don’t put out so he shouldn’t kiss me or hug me.

(24F) feeling disrespected by my partner (30M)

I love how self-respect and standards are just apparently for other people, not redditors.

I did say a kettle was even better if your supplier uses renewables. :smug:

Natural gas is definitely not near-renewable, not as far as I know. However, power plants can (and I think in most cases do) use a variety of things to reduce CO2 and particulate matter which are not possible in a domestic setting, so unit for unit a gas power plant is probably cleaner than a gas stove.

A quick search yields eg this
https://blog.ucsusa.org/mark-specht/natural-gas-power-plants-are-not-clean/

https://www.prysmiangroup.com/en/insight/innovation/is-natural-gas-a-clean-source-of-energy

You've been suckered by Big Gas! (I say that in jest but it's probably true).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

Only by natural gas lobbyists.