Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

roomtone posted:

i don't remember having a gun that much in sleeping dogs.

i wasn't looking. in some of the main missions they'll give you a gun but iirc they are expirable or you can lose them easily somehow and they were usually gone pretty quick.

I might chalk that up to the second two thirds of the game being pretty unmemorable. Once you finish the first act the game turns into much more of a generic third person shooter and they start handing out firearms like candy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Rutibex posted:

fast travel should plot a line between your location and destination then teleport you to a random encounter at some point in between the two

You have been waylaid by ambushers and must defend yourself

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Is watch dogs 2 any good and does it do a good job replicating SF or does it just do that thing that other "actual locale" games do where they shove a few knowable landmarks into an otherwise nondescript generic city map

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

fast travel should plot a line between your location and destination then teleport you to a random encounter at some point in between the two

And you could show a little marker moving while the game loads so you don't even have load times

And you could name your zones like "level 1" or "town", I dunno, these are just cuh-razy ideas

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

For as much as I'll go to war for Elden Ring and basically any Souls title I'll also make the moaners happy with a pretty big complaint. Fromsoft get your quest game together. or alternately just get rid of quests. The way they do them just does not work and is like a totally incoherent fever dream that people only complete because of google for the most part. I'm not asking for like, traditional AAA questing, just for things to work in a logical way that makes it easier to connect A to B and also is paced in a more engaging way than exhausting dialog and reloading bonfires. it just doesn't work. I never cared that much because I largely ignored them in previous Souls games unless finishing them involved getting something I wanted. Which just basically amounted to hitting up the wiki. But in ER there is significant parts of the game hidden behind quests and some of them are just total nonsense without a guide. Like, just make them make some sort of logical sense so I can do it on my own is all I'm asking. And figure out something better than "exhausting the dialog" and reloading over and over because it sucks the wind out of any impact the story might have had.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's really easy to just miss or skip quest flags in the souls games. I think whoever compared them to old (early 90's) cRPG's jank-wise was spot on.

Of course it's still fun to cosplay as an onion a mushroom and smash people with a big stick. It's just a lot of the other systems aren't very good.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't that in part totally what they're trying to evoke?

I don't know, is it? :shrug:

itry fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 21, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

itry posted:

It's really easy to just miss or skip quest flags in the souls games. I think whoever compared them to old (early 90's) cRPG's jank-wise was spot on.

Isn't that in part totally what they're trying to evoke?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

itry posted:

Of course it's still fun to cosplay as an onion a mushroom and smash people with a big stick. It's just a lot of the other systems aren't very good.

I don't know, is it? :shrug:

In ER they've mostly removed the fun feature of accidentally failing a questline because you took 2 steps into the next zone before collecting the frombunculator and returning it to Greg, so when you get back he's died tragically of frombunculator deficiency.
A lot of npc questlines will kind of just pick up where they left off if you run way ahead to a future area without ever talking to the npc. The only ones you can permanently mess up afaik are all the Volcano Manor peeps clearing out and not talking to you anymore after you kill their boss (understandable) and Seluvis's questline, which even rewards a unique talisman, but he dies if you progress too far in Ranni's quest.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

In ER they've mostly removed the fun feature of accidentally failing a questline because you took 2 steps into the next zone before collecting the frombunculator and returning it to Greg, so when you get back he's died tragically of frombunculator deficiency.
A lot of npc questlines will kind of just pick up where they left off if you run way ahead to a future area without ever talking to the npc. The only ones you can permanently mess up afaik are all the Volcano Manor peeps clearing out and not talking to you anymore after you kill their boss (understandable) and Seluvis's questline, which even rewards a unique talisman, but he dies if you progress too far in Ranni's quest.

Some NPC's will just assume you've talked to them, even ones you've never met, if you rush some events. And then there are NPC's that just won't interact with you if you find them early (What happens if you find that bound NPC under the poison flower in the forest ruin long before you start that chain?). I guess that's a sort of an improvement on NPC's just dropping dead for no apparent reason.

I've only put 40ish hours in, but I'm sure there's more poo poo to break or miss (but it's hard to know if you did miss something, for obvious reasons).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I did not think anyone would defend wow's godawful travel system but apparently Im wrong. 100% gently caress that system and I tried to play wow with a friend in college and using that travel system once was my hard "no, Im not playing anymore" hard stop in the sand.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

WoW's travel system was great for what it was trying to achieve. I would not have gone back to play WoW Classic if they said they were replacing the flight system with instant quick travel. It really added to the sense of world and of distance. It was also a good time to go grab a drink/snack or take a bio break or do something on another monitor, whatever.

With vanilla and classic WoW you had to embrace the idea that you were going to be spending a lot of time existing in the world and if you're not into that there were a bunch of stuff that would annoy you for sure.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Wow fast travel system owns and I would kind of like the option for similar in Elden Ring, like others said sometimes the sense of scale is lost

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I remember the first time someone tried to tell me about the "quests" in dark souls

those aren't quests buds, i dont know what they are but they definitely arent quests

edit: and I prefer it like that

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 21, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I remember the first time someone tried to tell me about the "quests" in dark souls

those aren't quests buds, i dont know what they are but they definitely arent quests

those are what quests should be

10 bear asses isn't a quest, it's a chore

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I missed soooo many quests in that Elden Ring but somehow I didn't give much of a poo poo. I was more about defeating enemies than making friends.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

those are what quests should be

10 bear asses isn't a quest, it's a chore

Do you not remember the original covenant progressions in Dark Souls 2? Or hell the spider girl covenant in Dark Souls 1?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Yeah there's a reason they threw that poo poo out for er

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

itry posted:

Some NPC's will just assume you've talked to them, even ones you've never met, if you rush some events. And then there are NPC's that just won't interact with you if you find them early (What happens if you find that bound NPC under the poison flower in the forest ruin long before you start that chain?). I guess that's a sort of an improvement on NPC's just dropping dead for no apparent reason.

I've only put 40ish hours in, but I'm sure there's more poo poo to break or miss (but it's hard to know if you did miss something, for obvious reasons).

Most quests in Elden Ring can't really be "broken." There are a couple I think, and there are also quests that have multiple endings (or a bad ending with a pretty obscure way to avoid it) but anything that's actually big and has story behind it can't really "break" IIRC. A lot of them you can even go back and do after the credits if you want.

There are a couple of weird side branches off of quests that can be broken, though. Like there are times where you have to talk to a side NPC related to a quest between two steps of that quest to get some kind of item or side-side-quest, and if you don't talk to them in that specific window then you miss it entirely. This happens, for example, with Seluvis on Ranni's quest or Gowry on Millicent's. Neither will break the "main" side quest, but they're missable side objectives.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 21, 2022

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Floodixor posted:

Is watch dogs 2 any good and does it do a good job replicating SF or does it just do that thing that other "actual locale" games do where they shove a few knowable landmarks into an otherwise nondescript generic city map

I can't speak to how accurate its SF is, but I wouldn't describe it as a generic city map. As a game, Watchdogs 2 is...alright. I think goons overstate how good it is because it gets compared to the first game but in truth it's just pretty good. Has the usual problems of Ubisoft games. Also if you shrivel up and die at any exposure to like, internet culture, meme-y stuff, or young people acting like young people in ways either authentic or forced then avoid it entirely.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Actual unpopular opinion: Watchdogs 1 is also a pretty good game.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

John Murdoch posted:

I like to listen in on people's convos like Little Brother. :nsa:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

The cap actually has become iconic, in a way.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Random q but have any goons played Valkyrie Profile and got the A ending? Im reading how to do it and it seems like a slog

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

John Murdoch posted:

Most Ubisoft games are good if you just ignore all the side content completely.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

X JAKK posted:

Most Ubisoft games are good if you just ignore all the side content completely.

It helps to ignore the main content completely, too! :wal: :stat:

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

runnypoops posted:

Random q but have any goons played Valkyrie Profile and got the A ending? Im reading how to do it and it seems like a slog

What do you have to do and is the game on steam and what kind of game is it?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

It helps to ignore the main content completely, too! :wal: :stat:

The problem is you always have to do some of it in order to get to the point where you can dual wield grenade launchers while wingsuiting down a scenic mountain or whatever

Barudak
May 7, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Bullets felt surprisingly powerful. Like if the game had been nothing but the ambushes minigame like some hosed up version of Burnout 3's crash puzzles it'd have been quite a treat.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Excuse me I'm confused is Watchdogs another name for Elden Ring?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Duck and Cover posted:

Excuse me I'm confused is Watchdogs another name for Elden Ring?

It's those watch dogs with no sense of smell in Elden Ring

Harrow posted:

Most quests in Elden Ring can't really be "broken." There are a couple I think, and there are also quests that have multiple endings (or a bad ending with a pretty obscure way to avoid it) but anything that's actually big and has story behind it can't really "break" IIRC. A lot of them you can even go back and do after the credits if you want.

There are a couple of weird side branches off of quests that can be broken, though. Like there are times where you have to talk to a side NPC related to a quest between two steps of that quest to get some kind of item or side-side-quest, and if you don't talk to them in that specific window then you miss it entirely. This happens, for example, with Seluvis on Ranni's quest or Gowry on Millicent's. Neither will break the "main" side quest, but they're missable side objectives.

The obscure nonsensical missable stuff is what I came to expect from... From. I guess they're actively working on that. Maybe they'll add a robust dialogue system next time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think Elden Ring got me thinking a little more critically about the quests because they felt more important. In Souls it's always been A to B then to X and then D or whatever. But it was this side thing. I just ignored them and then would check if they opened up some sub area or cool gear or whatever at some point if it felt like it was worth my time. Tbh I rarely even knew or cared what they were about. Maybe some Youtuber would explain it later.

But in ER you'd be nuts to skip Rennas quest and it's basically loving nonsene without a Wiki. Like there is actual huge parts of the game locked behind it, not to mention some of the best gear in the entire thing. I made the mistake of trying to do it without consulting a wiki and it was utter nonsense. It starts out with Blaidd telling me to meet him at a spot. I go and he is not there. But there are messages all over suggesting I need to do a gesture to get him to show up. I would have never have known this if I was playing offline, and I still dont actually know wtf the gesture is. At this point it's wiki time. Turns out I need to talk to a random NPC half way across the map and ask him about "the howling". I get the gesture and go back and still nothing. Turns out a mini boss I had killed already made him not show up. Now he shows up somewhere else. He wasn't there either. I still have no idea why. I don't even know if any of that mattered to the quest tbh. In the end I just did the whole thing with a guide because it was all such nonsense.

Then on the flipside you have quest like say...The pot village. it's this whole sort of interesting arc that just boils down to exhausting dialog and reloading. The whole thing played out in 5 minutes for me because I know the "rules" of Dark Souls.

I feel like they design quests in this way that they are hoping you will just stumble upon things but it doesn't really work that way. They don't really work at all tbh. Imo they could really do better in that dept.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Every single guide for Elden Ring that says meeting Blaidd and doing the finger snap is in anyway connected whatsoever with Ranni's quest is point blank wrong.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's kind of the point. That's not what a guide told me. That is where the game led me. I was able to actually do the quest in a reasonable amount of time because I looked at a guide later.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im not really defending that quest line but when it came out so many people were stumped on that quest when its as simple as "talk to quest giver->unlock access to the zone they want you to go in->go to end of zone to get item->return to quest giver" almost entirely cause the wikis claimed so much stuff was mandatory when it wasn't.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
As someone who hadnt ever really played a fromsoft game I thought there actually weren't quests in the game at all, and I only found out about them when a friend asked me if I'd upgraded my spirit ashes, something that is locked behind several dialogue boxes with the right people

What's interesting is that I wouldn't describe this approach as bad, an esoteric quest "system" adds flavour but imho it definitely shouldn't lock out literal game mechanics and poo poo

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
they are less so quests and more so chaotic poo poo that happens involving the npc's in the world

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I think most people who complain about elden ring quests being vague are right about some quests
but the big ones are all pretty straightforward. Rannis tells you to go to a place and get an item, you get it, she poofs and leaves a grace point that points toward a new area.

It's usually the same group of people who say the game is hard, but also refuse to use summons or ashes or half of the loving games systems, then go online to complain that the game is really hard when you handicap yourself.

Saying things are "locked behind quests" when the whole lock is "did you talk to the only friendly people in the game?" Is kind of disingenuous too.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I refuse to use summons or ashes because I am not bitchmade and want to actually have to learn to evade and counter the bosses attacks. Its definitely a hard game if you choose not to be bitchmade.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I think as games get more popular, more people just want to then their brain off and are upset by something requiring a baseline of thought or outside help (take your pick).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

I refuse to use summons or ashes because I am not bitchmade and want to actually have to learn to evade and counter the bosses attacks. Its definitely a hard game if you choose not to be bitchmade.

You're such a big time gamer, purposefully not using what you're given, then saying it's hard!