Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's been long enough that I don't remember completely how my main shaft worked (And thinking about transport tubes and fire poles made me realize I'd done it wrong in my current base), but I definitely had landings every few floors where dropped stuff could accumulate in relative safety without plunging into the depths.

fake e: Ah ha, found the literal one screenshot I had with any of my main shaft in it.

Main shaft is in the top right, five wide. Just alternate the ladder&pole with the mesh tiles every few floors. Maybe throw in a tube passthrough and a horizontal door if you're feeling frisky. The rest of that picture I have completely forgotten the reasoning behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!
I have not used the tubes much. The amount of plastic they want and 120W/s per dupe in the tube...?

Are they really scalable with +10 dupes? Don't they cause massive power spikes and eat through your energy supply? They just never seemed like a usable tool beyond very niche situations, like atmosphere control for short hops.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

After a get SPOM, cooling and food sorted, the next big thing to aim for is making POWER. Petrol, solar, volcano, (nuclear), something to give a good 5+kW constantly, then stuff like tubes become part of the baseload.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Xaiter posted:

I have not used the tubes much. The amount of plastic they want and 120W/s per dupe in the tube...?

Are they really scalable with +10 dupes? Don't they cause massive power spikes and eat through your energy supply? They just never seemed like a usable tool beyond very niche situations, like atmosphere control for short hops.

I'm not sure where you're getting this info about power usage. The only time tubes use power is when a tube access launches a dupe, which costs 10kj of the access's 40kj internal battery and means they're more efficient with longer trips. You could put a dupe on a hamster wheel for 2/3 of the cycle and store enough power for 16 tube trips.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 21, 2022

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Plastic is almost a non-issue once you get drecko ranching up and running.

This was my basic drecko ranch setup (and oh, hey, there's my main shaft again, how'd I miss that), and while plastic production from glossies is a lot swingier than it would be to have properly-steamed plastic presses working, it's a lot easier to set up and just leave running. Did have to add coolant lines and tempshift plates because the mealwood was starting to stifle.

Filling the top of the dome with hydrogen is the fiddliest part. I used canister fillers and emptiers, using the basic door and the airflow tiles to let the overpressure out naturally. Did lead to a bit of overflow, you can see some bits of pink in the unfinished area above the clinic.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I never post screenshots, so here's my dreco build.

One tall breeding chamber exactly wide enough for a single autosweeper. All eggs get swept into a hydrogen room to get sheared 3 or so times before starvation. Two unpowered incubators keep the breeding chamber topped off most of the time.

Also, pictured is my Shove Vole starvation ranch, and my miscellaneous critters overflow zone.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Shove vole farms? Did someone mention shove vole farm?!

147 critters in that place. I have 150 or so slicksters somewhere in the same save, but those were just for getting rid of the massive CO2 problem I had. Ended up just freezing all the CO2 solid, so I have 112 tons of it now.

Slicksters. Just the overflow of the ranched ones.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I've reached a point where I'm ready to start ranching. How do I automate keeping 7 Dreckos in a stable? I'd like to keep 7 in there and send all the extra eggs to the kitchen.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Sweep out all the eggs using auto-sweepers and conveyors. Send the eggs to the kitchen and just have the dupes fill the incubators manually. A max size stable can have 8 critters in it btw. You might want to sweep the drecko eggs into a room filled with hydrogen and some shearing stations, and just let them starve off.

If you create a small dip with a pneumatic door ontop and fill it with water, then put the conveyor output in there, you can automatically evolve the eggs into meat when they hatch. Also called an evolution chamber if you want to search for it.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Dunno-Lars posted:

Sweep out all the eggs using auto-sweepers and conveyors. Send the eggs to the kitchen and just have the dupes fill the incubators manually. A max size stable can have 8 critters in it btw. You might want to sweep the drecko eggs into a room filled with hydrogen and some shearing stations, and just let them starve off.

If you create a small dip with a pneumatic door ontop and fill it with water, then put the conveyor output in there, you can automatically evolve the eggs into meat when they hatch. Also called an evolution chamber if you want to search for it.

Got it thanks.

I had to crash build a huge hatch farm when I realized I'd coasted on Mealwood for too long and was running out of dirt.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Hello Sailor posted:

I'm not sure where you're getting this info about power usage. The only time tubes use power is when a tube access launches a dupe, which costs 10kj of the access's 40kj internal battery and means they're more efficient with longer trips. You could put a dupe on a hamster wheel for 2/3 of the cycle and store enough power for 16 tube trips.

Hot drat, I'll have to try them again. I didn't realize they have a constant power demand for trips, I just recall setting up one outside the base for trips and watching my power grid cry. They were probably doing dumb poo poo like sweeping a million small things and taking a thousand trips per day.

I've since gotten out of the habit of bothering with storage compactors at all. Only maybe one or two for resources I actually care about. Which still worries me, having dupes run across the entire god drat map to deliver 10kg of dirt to a storage container at 19990/20000 capacity and burning a roundtrip on it.

Travic posted:

Got it thanks.

I had to crash build a huge hatch farm when I realized I'd coasted on Mealwood for too long and was running out of dirt.

I'd recommend a weird setup with two access points. One on top where non-ranchers can put eggs in a dropper and they fall through a locked Mesh Door. And a second that is two tiles above the mesh tile floor where the eggs land that ONLY ranchers can access. Then you can stick a Critter Dropoff in the chamber without creating an infinite loop where ranchers keep delivering eggs to the egg drop.

EDIT: Rancher door needs to be two tiles below the mesh door above it or Ranchers can pick up eggs off the floor, stand in the doorway, and deliver eggs to the dropper through the mesh door above them, creating an infinite labor loop.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

You need 12 squares of space per creature, so 8 creatures = 96 (max room size), and the annoying thing is eggs count as creatures, so you can have 8 happy, and they lay an egg and they get cramped, which massively reduces their egg laying rate. The easy way around this is to use autosweepers. These need to hoover up eggs and get them out ASAP. These should be dropped into a small water pool and held under a mesh door, and then they will drown on hatching to evolve into meat, and dupes can grab the meat (or eggs to fill an incubator) as needed. Hatches can be confined by a 3-high door/wall to one end so they stay within a single sweeper range. Dreckos/pips are more awkward as they climb, so you need more sweepers.

Here's one I have used for plastic production:

3 sweepers cover everything and send the eggs below. Everything is hydrogen except for a row of CO2 covering the mealwood (plastic dreckos need it). The 8 here is plenty for 4 breeding dreckos that give something like an egg per cycle overall. These drop down where they hatch, get shorn once, then generally grow another full coat before death, so you get 2 lots of scales + barbecue from each one. The tricks here are - whisking eggs away from the breeding ranch fast, and the mealwood needs cooling! The Dreckos are have a bod temp of 40 degrees, and this will heat up and stifle the mealwood unless you actively cool it. For regular dreckos, use balm lily, chlorine, and don't worry about the temps.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 23, 2022

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I'm ranching shine bugs to go into a modded Shinebug reactor. As the eggs get dropped, I want to send one to the furthest reactor, then the next closest, and so on for the 4 reactors then reset. I've tried messing with counters and memory toggles but I feel there's a simpler way to do this. They won't be piling up because they come in slow enough it will have to be a hard system of 1,2,3,4,reset, repeat.

I've managed to create a 2 bit binary counter using counters and the eggs themselves are slowed using timer and conveyor shuttoff (So they act as the "clock", each egg moves the requested position up one. The problem is, counter signals are not constant, they're pulsed. Most of the time they're in a 0 state so I cant send their inputs to a signal distributor. I'm experimenting now with memory toggles to lock the signal in.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Not sure how well it resets after a load, but something like this would distribute exactly evenly?

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

OzyMandrill posted:

Not sure how well it resets after a load, but something like this would distribute exactly evenly?

With how sparse the eggs come in, I wouldn't be sure they would split evenly. The autosplitting is wonky with just connections together.

Anyways I found how to make a flip-flop using XOR gates and it was perfect once I tested it.

There's a point where your colony is going to coast for 500 cycles or more so you want to come up with elaborate automation solutions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJMkEc3pXUo

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Ah yeah.
Oddly enough I had a petrol boiler that I ended up using a XOR flip flop to control instead of the memory circuits as I couldn't get them working happily...

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
It wouldn't have been a problem if the Automation "Counter" reading could be fed into an automation ribbon somehow, even if it only went to 8

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Wait an entire data type just can’t go into the Hevi-Automation Wire? Are there any others omitted?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

LonsomeSon posted:

Wait an entire data type just can’t go into the Hevi-Automation Wire? Are there any others omitted?

No, just they want the counters to work differently than they do.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Signal Counters only have an input, an output that only stays green when it reaches it's designated number, and a reset port input. In fact, if you use advanced mode they only pulse their green output because they reset when they hit their output number.

I can't find a lot of use for them. What would make them useful is if they always output a 4 bit signal corresponding to their displayed number.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I think they're like the pixel display and the alarm, in that they're largely for providing information to the player.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

OK, how about :

If they start with 0,1,2,3, then when an egg passes the sensor they tick up by one, the last one will go to 4 and pulse/reset. the buffer keeps the signal green long enough for the egg to go through the gate, and you're done.

E: I've never used counters myself, so kinda guessing if it would work, cos, well, ONI...

E2: You might need something cunning to make sure only 1 egg goes in every 10 seconds max, cos 2 eggs after each other will end up double ticking and opening 2 channels, then they both go down the first one.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 24, 2022

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

OzyMandrill posted:

OK, how about :

If they start with 0,1,2,3, then when an egg passes the sensor they tick up by one, the last one will go to 4 and pulse/reset. the buffer keeps the signal green long enough for the egg to go through the gate, and you're done.

E: I've never used counters myself, so kinda guessing if it would work, cos, well, ONI...

E2: You might need something cunning to make sure only 1 egg goes in every 10 seconds max, cos 2 eggs after each other will end up double ticking and opening 2 channels, then they both go down the first one.

Counters will reset once they reach their designated number, which for "1" will happen on every single egg. I think the point made earlier is right, they're really only for information.

The whole point was to make sure one reactor didn't get too many eggs. What I should have done was use the conveyor meters and just set them to ?42? I think then shut off once they reach that number. What messed me up was when testing them in sandbox, I was using stuffed berries instead of eggs for some reason and they would count based on weight, not how many "objects" went through like an egg would.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Nah, I mean they are all set to reset on '4', but the initial state needs to be with the counters reading 0,1,2,3.
Then after an egg they will read: 1,2,3,0 - the 4th being resetm, and sending a 5sec green signal to 4th gate.
Next egg, counters will end up as: 2,3,0,1 and this time the 3rd one gets 5sec green.
And so on, so it will cycle through the 4 (or whatever - you can extend this up to 9)
To set up, stick a switch on the far end, and using pliers (hah!) break and enable the counter wire to get them to the start numbers and you'll be all set.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
All this logic counter stuff seems overkill when Ozy's original idea works just fine. Every T junction gets an even split. Use the game mechanics already built in there. This successfully split up 40 eggs into piles of 10 and doesn't leave anything sitting in the pipes.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

BrainMeats posted:

All this logic counter stuff seems overkill when Ozy's original idea works just fine. Every T junction gets an even split. Use the game mechanics already built in there. This successfully split up 40 eggs into piles of 10 and doesn't leave anything sitting in the pipes.

This is why I thought it didn't work. It's important how you split your conveyors. First one is all branching off one central track. The first two received twice as many (the number had reset)

The second was like your design, split, then split. Perfect distribution.

Oh well, it was fun trying to figure out to how to logic my way out of the problem

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

love that casual "everyone died" up in the corner.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

In my original, I had 4-way coming off the bridge output, which is supposed to be an even split too (and easiest way to do 3 way even split)

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
changing subjects, I'm mining out my entire asteroid. I have cleared about 1/4 of it, and 9 sweepys barely make a dent in cleaning up. I even downloaded a mod to make them faster and cover more area, then they just bump into each other over and over.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LegoMan posted:

changing subjects, I'm mining out my entire asteroid. I have cleared about 1/4 of it, and 9 sweepys barely make a dent in cleaning up. I even downloaded a mod to make them faster and cover more area, then they just bump into each other over and over.

Autosweepers move more material faster, though in a smaller area. You can chain sweepers and bins to move stuff to a central point relatively quickly, and recover the materials spent on construction once you're done.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Dirk the Average posted:

Autosweepers move more material faster, though in a smaller area. You can chain sweepers and bins to move stuff to a central point relatively quickly, and recover the materials spent on construction once you're done.

I'll switch to that, for now I just made a few dispensers set to high priority / sweep only under some sweepers/loaders to send it upstairs but everyone is tied up sweeping

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
Has anyone had any luck with the DLC editing map size? Specifically to make them smaller? Tiny Worlds was a fantastic mod from the base game that let you scale down your map but it's not updated for Spaced Out.

I went into \OxygenNotIncluded_Data\StreamingAssets\dlc\expansion1\worldgen\worlds and tried scaling down the X and Y values for the maps but it just causes an error on starting a new game. Plenty of discussion of people making maps bigger without issue but I've never understood what you do with all that room. I'd rather keep my simulation speed up. Rules seemed to be X value divisible by 16, and smaller than Y value. I tried messing with the worldTraitScale setting as well but always the same error.

Late game all my bases look like this. Majority of it bricked off because supposedly that's the best way to maintain performance.

Every single discussion about it is how to make maps bigger, why DLC map small. I just want to know I'm not alone. :ohdear:

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Ill second that I loved Tiny Worlds, 1/4 default size for vanilla.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I think I'm about to the point where I can tame a metal volcano. I looked up a Francis John video and he has a bunch of automation equipment in there to move the metal out once it cools. Seems useful, but how do you keep all the equipment from melting? I know the liquid metal hits the steam and cools quickly, but drat.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It's the amount of mass. A few drops of water aren't going to do much. You want at least 2kg of steam per tile, and tempshift plates for even more thermal mass, and to spread it around evenly.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

oh jay posted:

It's the amount of mass. A few drops of water aren't going to do much. You want at least 2kg of steam per tile, and tempshift plates for even more thermal mass, and to spread it around evenly.

More like 100kg steam per tile... (don't go above 150, you'll clog up the volcano)

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

insta posted:

More like 100kg steam per tile... (don't go above 150, you'll clog up the volcano)

So this also raises an question I've had. For the steam chamber to work I need to pull a vacuum on it then add some water. The simplest way would be to just fill the chamber with water then seal it. But that would result in too much steam pressure and clog the volcano. The next best option I could think of would be putting a lot of water into an open chamber. It flashes to steam and displaces all other gasses. Then I seal it up real fast.

Is there a better way to do it?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Travic posted:

So this also raises an question I've had. For the steam chamber to work I need to pull a vacuum on it then add some water. The simplest way would be to just fill the chamber with water then seal it. But that would result in too much steam pressure and clog the volcano. The next best option I could think of would be putting a lot of water into an open chamber. It flashes to steam and displaces all other gasses. Then I seal it up real fast.

Is there a better way to do it?

Seal the area up, put in a liquid lock so dupes can get in/out, then put in a gas pump and pump out all the gas. Remove the gas pumps, deliver the required amount of liquid water into the chamber, seal everything up (removing the liquid lock entirely if you're confident you'll never need to get back in there), and then start up whatever you need to start up.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well hang on. How much water can you have before you get to 100kg of steam? Can’t you just take advantage of the “1 gram of liquid effectively ‘fills’ the square and forces all gasses out” thing?

Edit:and if it’s deep, also use “1 gram of water then put in 1 gram of polluted water” to fill two vertical squares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Dirk the Average posted:

Seal the area up, put in a liquid lock so dupes can get in/out, then put in a gas pump and pump out all the gas. Remove the gas pumps, deliver the required amount of liquid water into the chamber, seal everything up (removing the liquid lock entirely if you're confident you'll never need to get back in there), and then start up whatever you need to start up.

Got it. I haven't uncovered the entire volcano yet so I can use that to my advantage as well. As for the required amount of liquid I'm guessing it's 100kg of water x the number of spaces in the steam chamber?