Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Diet Crack posted:

If he'd like.. not tried to dive up the inside and just followed in he'd be right on his gearbox. It seemed like Max was just raging and not actually thinking about how to get past. He was also eating up his tires into that corner - T4 was a little more forgiving and in my view it might have been easier to tow into T1, stay behind and brake earlier and let the Scud go deeper then get a good exit and set up for T4 on his tail.

Max seemingly kept forcing the issue because the RB was such a rocket down the main straight that the opportunity always presented itself

Max not displaying any race craft you say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

:sickos:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Precisely in less words.

Also I wonder if those Wheel shrouds on the fronts have anything to do with Max's steering issue

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

The fact that they don't know what the issue is yet sustains me

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
maybe they are running their engines at higher modes to try to catch up the scud bois and it died

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lol eat poo poo Red Bull

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Yeah, without the SC/RB retirements Mercedes would have barely been in the top 5.

I'm wondering what to think of the tire degradation that race. iirc the tire choices were skewed all the way towards soft, so even the hard tire was on the "medium" spectrum for that race. Honestly more pit stops makes things more interesting, so I'm hopeful the tires just wear more this season.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
https://racingnews365.com/mercedes-customer-teams-express-concerns-over-engine

gently caress me if ferrari legit has the best engine

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Diet Crack posted:

I don't see this. They lucked out with the safety car and whatnot this race, else it would've been a pretty poo poo outing for them. The hard tyre choice granted was weird, but I don't think that Merc has the pace to keep up with the RB/Scud in a straight line. The engine changes to the eco fuel may have hosed them. The car was also still porpoising like crazy with full fuel load.

This is where I am, Mercedes didn't get a podium on merit, Sunday shouldn't be a relief for them.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, without the SC/RB retirements Mercedes would have barely been in the top 5.

I agree. If the situation was totally different the situation would be totally different.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Thanks Ants posted:

This is where I am, Mercedes didn't get a podium on merit, Sunday shouldn't be a relief for them.

When would we expect to see the first results of whatever Mercedes has already started doing to fix their engines?

edit:

boop the snoot posted:

I agree. If the situation was totally different the situation would be totally different.

I mean yes if Red Bull retires every race this season Mercedes will do pretty well!

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Mode 7 posted:

Zhou did really well for his debut, though in my heart I wish Mick had held on to 10th and got points just to see Guenther's radiant joy/elated swearing.

Mick's got the speed, he took damage in that incident with Ocon and didn't use softs late on when everyone set fastest lap. And still he was within 4 tenths of Kmag.

Unless the rest get their poo poo together really quickly he'll be in the points soon enough.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can't really see anybody making improvements until Australia with minor changes, and larger upgrades coming in time for Imola. Maybe Red Bull can improve enough to finish the race in Saudi though.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Motivation time for Danny Ric - Zac will buy this for you if you make Q2.

https://twitter.com/Bringatrailer/status/1505909741532299268

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

When would we expect to see the first results of whatever Mercedes has already started doing to fix their engines?

edit:

I mean yes if Red Bull retires every race this season Mercedes will do pretty well!

It's going to be tricky because I think the engines are only allowed a single upgrade and then I believe they're frozen for a few years.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

re-watching the race and just got to the part where Sharl absolutely played Max like a fiddle, not once, not twice, but three times.

loving owned.

It was like Lucy constantly pulling the football away from Charlie Brown. Max crying on radio made it even better.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

If he'd like.. not tried to dive up the inside and just followed in he'd be right on his gearbox. It seemed like Max was just raging and not actually thinking about how to get past. He was also eating up his tires into that corner - T4 was a little more forgiving and in my view it might have been easier to tow into T1, stay behind and brake earlier and let the Scud go deeper then get a good exit and set up for T4 on his tail.

Max seemingly kept forcing the issue because the RB was such a rocket down the main straight that the opportunity always presented itself
If you actually watch the race, you'll see he followed through T1 on the first lap through and he wasn't able to stay close enough for the DRS into T4 to get it done.

Like Max/RBR was slower on every part of the racetrack except the main straight. Arguing he shouldn't have tried to get and keep track position in the one place he was able to get nearly there, is stupid.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
man, Sharl also had a killer restart too, played Max there as well.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

net work error posted:

It's going to be tricky because I think the engines are only allowed a single upgrade and then I believe they're frozen for a few years.

Oh yikes, did not realize this. Let's hope it's not the Mercedes engine then!

:v:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Khablam posted:

Max/RBR

is stupid.

:hmmyes:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

man, Sharl also had a killer restart too, played Max there as well.

Max tried his stupid 'get as close to alongside as possible' move and seemed to forget that would mean taking a really tight line into the corner

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
I was surprised he didn’t try to slow Chuck down on the exit of turn 1. He used to do that a lot. Go slow through a corner to compromise the exit of the car behind.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The good thing is that Sharl seems to know exactly how to get Max rattled

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Khablam posted:

If you actually watch the race, you'll see he followed through T1 on the first lap through and he wasn't able to stay close enough for the DRS into T4 to get it done.

Like Max/RBR was slower on every part of the racetrack except the main straight. Arguing he shouldn't have tried to get and keep track position in the one place he was able to get nearly there, is stupid.

lol u love Max so much - he's an aggro shithead OP and couldn't help divebombing Charles constantly.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Oh yikes, did not realize this. Let's hope it's not the Mercedes engine then!

:v:

I think they'll be cautious about it and make sure the aero setup is correct before blaming the power unit. The fact that Lewis was only 6/10ths down on qualifying lap time with that insane bouncing makes me think it's too early to blame the power unit.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Khablam posted:

"If you actually watch the race"

lol I did, and not once did he try to do what I said.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
To my ignorant eyes it seems that as much as "making the cars better at following" with the new regs, the cars are a bit harder to drive generally and more sensitive to set up changes, what with their stiffer suspension and also just way less data on how the tires are going to play out over a stint/race. Hopefully this means more variation in competitiveness within teams and also between teams at different tracks. In general the sport is at its most watchable when you are watching the drivers and teams adapt on the fly and make heads-up calls instead of just plugging the data in and hoping Bottas doesn't drive off a cliff.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

someone run down which race circuits have destroyed the most tires tia

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

There was Istanbul a season or two ago where they had a new surface and it shredded everyone across the board

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

had a horrible nightmare last night that mclaren were very slow and somehow ferrari were the fastest team and got a 1-2. hahaha what a wacky dream. it's crazy the stuff our brains can come up with huh

edit: lmao at my av, well played pasta lovers. could have left my papaya gang tag at least though :(

Panic! At The Tesco fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 21, 2022

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I must admit, I did enjoy Haas getting some nice points yesterday.

Merc looks loving weird racing along side the other cars. Its just an odd design.

Coulthards 'still you rise' comment to Lewis was really cringey.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

speng31b posted:

I think they'll be cautious about it and make sure the aero setup is correct before blaming the power unit. The fact that Lewis was only 6/10ths down on qualifying lap time with that insane bouncing makes me think it's too early to blame the power unit.

Hopefully you're right, although all of the bottom cars being Mercedes powered can't be good.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Diet Crack posted:

baku 2021

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Sab0921 posted:

lol u love Max so much - he's an aggro shithead OP and couldn't help divebombing Charles constantly.
Would you have rather he just sat behind rather than make an attempt? What do you smooth-brains want, beyond just wanting to poo poo out another HURR DURR MAX BAD post?
He was slower through T1-T4 so the idea he'd have a better time getting past with less straight/DRS to use to get alongside is just so silly.

It was his only shot at track position.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Khablam posted:

Would you have rather he just sat behind rather than make an attempt? What do you smooth-brains want, beyond just wanting to poo poo out another HURR DURR MAX BAD post?
He was slower through T1-T4 so the idea he'd have a better time getting past with less straight/DRS to use to get alongside is just so silly.

It was his only shot at track position.

After it didn't work the first two times (maybe even the first time), try to follow close behind LeClerc and make the pass going into T4 - you know, be smart and learn from the prior attempts.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Coulthards 'still you rise' comment to Lewis was really cringey.

It's true though??

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I rise whenever Lewis does well

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Diet Crack posted:

indianapolis

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Sab0921 posted:

After it didn't work the first two times (maybe even the first time), try to follow close behind LeClerc and make the pass going into T4 - you know, be smart and learn from the prior attempts.
The exit of T1 is 50mph and it's precisely in these corners the Ferrari was dunking everyone else. In every lap through the first sector Max lost time to leclerc.
n.b. it's exactly why leclerc was brushing past him again before T4.

Please, forums poster Sab0921, please consider the F1 champion may just have considered "try a different spot" given he is, you know, famous for trying all the spots, and there are other reasons the rest of the circuit wasn't an opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Sab0921 posted:

Leclerc only needed to hold off for a couple of laps before Max ran out of battery to catch him even on the main straight, even if he somehow managed to get past at turn 4 Leclerc would just pass him at the next turn 4 and would disappear again. I don't think there was a situation where Max could stay in front, other than forcing a big mistake.