Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Sodium chloride hardens the bar. Titanium dioxide makes it a brilliant white. Fragrance and water need no explanation. The rest are preservatives, though it’s unusual to see so many used together.

They might be preservatives but what I recognize them as from years of dealing with sanitation chemicals are builders and anti-redeposition aids. Take those out and the soap becomes a much less effective cleaner and won't perform in hard water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

i've been using cheap "yardley" brand bar soaps from the grocery store the past few years and recently started getting some dry and flaky skin. bought a small bar of "pine tar" soap last week and it has improved a lot in just a couple of days, might be worth trying.

If your skin is rebelling against you, consider spending $.50-$2.00 more on soap imho

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Who here still has yet to get any variety of COVID two full years after the pandemic began in force and what brand of respirator are you using atm?

Still cycling between my 3M 6800 and Secure Click atm

I haven't that I know of (yet). I've been WFH about 85% of the time but was in the office January and February during the Omicron wave. I was wearing cloth masks in 2020 and upgraded to KF94s for most of 2021 before eventually becoming an Aura believer in late 2021. I've never masked outside but I also don't live in a dense area. I do curbside for almost all of my shopping. My wife works for the state doing drug and alcohol counseling and she's been in the office this whole time. Two exposures that she knows about but she was masked for both, once in a cloth mask and once in a KF94. There have probably have been others that she doesn't know about given how many people are in and out of the building she works in. We had a kid in August and kept her home through the end of 2021 with a combination of FMLA and vacation in the hopes of keeping her home until COVID died down (such young fools we were). But that ran out in January so we found the best daycare option we could that had small rooms and a strict masking requirement. But they dropped that requirement after the CDC told them to two weeks ago so that's hosed. Her parents and my parents are all boosted but also all Open Biden and somehow have not caught COVID despite doing all sorts of stupid poo poo like voluntary plane travel and indoor dining so I dunno how they have all managed that.

I assume it's just a matter of time before it enters our house via daycare. Just hoping that doesn't happen until after infant vaccines are available and we've had time to get the daughter a shot.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 21, 2022

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
sounds cool good and normal

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

So we have several house reps and senators who have long covid.

And they still won't do poo poo about it at all! Lmao

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pingui posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were wrong. I just meant it as a comment on the response you encountered :)

it's cool! i have an atypical set of problems so I'm more used to explaining the chain of reactions than not. most people only have one form of dermatitis lol

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

i've been using cheap "yardley" brand bar soaps from the grocery store the past few years and recently started getting some dry and flaky skin. bought a small bar of "pine tar" soap last week and it has improved a lot in just a couple of days, might be worth trying.

I've used pine tar soap before and it's not terrible. I make my own soap, deodorant and hair care products now and my problems have more or less resolved themselves.

Been dealing with this my whole life and been on immune suppressants before because of it. I don't want to be on that poo poo again if I can avoid it, up to and including dramatic lifestyle changes. Convenience is not worth it.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Want to know how to deal with Long COVID?

https://twitter.com/barackobama/status/1261004586359422979

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bedpan posted:

They might be preservatives but what I recognize them as from years of dealing with sanitation chemicals are builders and anti-redeposition aids. Take those out and the soap becomes a much less effective cleaner and won't perform in hard water.

They do both.

The reason they work as preservatives in soap is that they bind the metal ions that could otherwise catalyze oxidation reactions.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Kylaer posted:

There's a very funny picture of me holding one of my infant relatives while wearing the respirator.
:3

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Alabama COVID admissions doubled over the weekend.

Florida is up 30% since Friday.
Missouri is up 22%
Kentucky 20%

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Who here still has yet to get any variety of COVID two full years after the pandemic began in force and what brand of respirator are you using atm?

Various N95s. Usually a 3M Aura. But I don't have a kid in school and that's been the biggest factor among people I know. I can't think of a single person with kids in school who hadn't caught it by the end of Omicron.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
So now that the weather has been improving we've been in the backyard more and talking to the neighbors. One of them mentioned to us that their whole family had COVID in January and that "it was rough" for her husband but she'd just had a sore throat for a couple of days. Their kid who is too young to be vaccinated had moderate cold symptoms for 3-4 days and their 6 year old that is vaccinated barely had anything. Then yesterday I was talking to him and apparently he hadn't been boosted yet, got J&J last spring, and he almost ended up hospitalized and wasn't able to work for a few weeks. And two months later he still gets exhausted easily and has drainage from his ears every night because his eardrums ruptured while he was sick. His wife had also gotten J&J but had just gotten a booster a few weeks before they got sick so seems like she timed that perfectly to be at max titers at the exact moment the titers needed to be maxed.

But anyway, he didn't end up in the hospital so his case was mild.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

How do you rupture your eardrums? From coughing too hard?

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Greg Legg posted:

Whoa, the school was doing pcr testing? Is this a public school?

my chudly upstate ny district has opt in pool testing for kids. my kids in elementary school get tested every Friday. they’re also the only kids still masking :whitewater:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

My mom caught covid before the weekend, and even with 2 doses of pfizer + a booster shot in December, she's not having a great time :smith:

jinx_player
Aug 25, 2018

Wibla posted:

My mom caught covid before the weekend, and even with 2 doses of pfizer + a booster shot in December, she's not having a great time :smith:

But god drat we love to see her smiling face, and the mimosa was delicious!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Note that JHU are rolling mainland China and Hong Kong onto the same graph, if you separate them out it looks like this:

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...country=CHN~HKG

oh poo poo lol. and people are saying China is going to fail?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

fosborb posted:

oh poo poo lol. and people are saying China is going to fail?

If China fails then sitting back and letting over a million people die was actually the right thing to do and any sort of mitigation was a waste of time, you see

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Wibla posted:

Sorry to hear that duder.

I'm shocked my parents/in-laws haven't had it yet. Although I guess I say that and my Dad apparently lost his sense of smell a year ago for unexplained reasons, so probably he did!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

If China fails then sitting back and letting over a million people die was actually the right thing to do and any sort of mitigation was a waste of time, you see

it's crazy how "the sunk cost fallacy" is basically a universally applicable answer when asking "how did _________ get so bad in America?"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
'if we admit COVID is airborne and we need better controls now, it'll mean we could have done something for all those dead people - whereas if we just keep pushing forward until there's a sterilizing vaccine, their deaths will be retroactively justified for not being "safe enough" before the good vaccine came.'

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
front page of reddit today: "something concerning is happening" as long covid causes severe memory loss and concentration problems

huh, weird, I heard covid was over and long covid doesn't exist

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
:rubby:

The gaslighting is so very very real.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
lol

This is my party! it was made for me!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I had a scare last week but it turned out to just be a cold. So I'm still going strong. I use surgical masks or occasionally N95s if I have some and I'm especially worried

jinx_player
Aug 25, 2018

Animal-Mother posted:

front page of reddit today: "something concerning is happening" as long covid causes severe memory loss and concentration problems

huh, weird, I heard covid was over and long covid doesn't exist

See, memory loss

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

NeonPunk posted:

How do you rupture your eardrums? From coughing too hard?

Sinus pressure. Ruptured eardrums aren't a big deal by themselves a huge deal as long as you treat them and they are somewhat common, especially for kids. It's just another stupid thing that nobody considers when they think of a mild covid case as being a minor cold.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 21, 2022

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Here. I wear an Aura when I need to be heard, MSA advantage 900 or 3m 7500 if i don't want anyone to talk to me. My kid wore kf94s and then switched to a honeywell ru8500. My spouse barely leaves the house but for his BIG OLD HEAD the Milwaukee n95 with gasket actually works. He played basketball in it on Saturday and it sucked, but it worked. For big head goons you can get them at Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk..._-310392471-_-N

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Cup Runneth Over posted:

still no covid I’m aware of, various very minor maladies during the winter but negative on rapid and no lingering poo poo ever

Honeywell 7700 for me in any places I don’t need to talk to people
auras at work with a cube goin

no kids, biggest risk is Openerup family members who come by once or twice a week and my wife occasionally going to see our niece who is two.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

My story is a lot like Thoguh. Cloth to surgical to Airpop essentially kn95s then went right to Auras when Omi was in South Africa and haven’t looked back. I’ve been in office quite a bit and recently been having to see my mom in hospital and long term rehab/nursing home. Have gotten a couple colds in the past 2 years but not COVID. Other than opening er up last summer we’ve hunkered down and got takeout and only go shopping in stores occasionally. I’ve also done some work travel.

My wife stays home with our son and only sees a couple of friends/other kids so the vectors into the family are mainly me.

It really seems just wearing a loving mask does it and yet when the took away masking at work everyone hoot and hollered like the war was over. I still wear my mask and except for the production workers on the line in pretty sure I’m the only one lol

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I sent that tim kaine thing to my parents, they will listen to anything from someone connected with killary lol

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

i'm using KN95, but I don't think there's a way to know if you've never had COVID for sure as you could have had an asymptomatic case

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Yes I know I need to use supplemental oxygen between each time I clap in agreement during this Biden speech. It’s just allergies, don’t ask me anymore. Open Biden. *huff huff huff*

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Paradoxish posted:

the best memes live fast and die young

after memes go viral they naturally get milder

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Auras or kn94s. kids are both in elementary school using kn94s (lol one week of masks off... we'll see if they keep them on when they go back to school after spring break)

we regularly see two other families: my parents who help with childcare, and a family that we've been hanging out with back since people called it podding. they have two kids in elementary school too.

out of all of us, only my dad has caught it (omi wave). they do zero eating out, 100% grocery delivery, nothing social. wear n95s or p100s. apartment hallway is legit one of the likelier vectors. positive/ negative pressure and corsi cube and mom managed to avoid it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

is there timely data on Covid in USA or has every entity stopped tracking