Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Booty Pageant posted:

did you get plum sauce?

I assume so. Wouldn't recognize it offhand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
without that sweet and jammy orange sauce, a roast duck is incomplete

i would peel off the crispy skin and dip it into sauce and have that first before the meat

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

:hmmyes:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Efficiency.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

sadly too big for a gangtag

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

ninjoatse.cx posted:

ah. thanks. I'm waiting for that game to go to $30 before buying it.

You will be waiting a long rear end time. All recent FROM games take forever to go on a sale for that kind of discount.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

GoutPatrol posted:

sadly too big for a gangtag

How small does it need to be?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

BrainDance posted:

The Vitamin E acetate thing was just straight up lungs dying, it did not take long at all. Vape juice with cannabinoids has a specific texture and cloudiness, vitamin e acetate also makes vape juice look cloudy in the same way. So, a bunch of thc vape carts were using this stuff "honeycut" to make them look stronger than they were, and it was just vitamin e. So that was that whole thing.

I just looked this up and if Covid didn't happen it feels like a much bigger deal would have been made of this. The story behind it is insane.

https://www.leafly.com/news/health/toxic-vaping-vapi-evali-lung-injury-rise-and-fall-of-vitamin-e-oil-honey-cut

quote:

All summer, DeGraw had inhaled cart after cart from boxes labeled Dank Vapes and Rove. Leafly had the remaining oil in DeGraw’s spent cartridges tested by SC Labs.

Those tests turned up disturbing results. SC Labs President Josh Wurzer said DeGraw had inhaled “significant amounts of alpha-tocopherol” as well as troubling amounts of lead from his illicit THC carts.

Subsequent testing came back negative for tocopherols, but extremely high for pesticides and lead. Wurzer found sky-high levels of “literally dozens” of pesticides in “insane concentrations.” SC Labs’ machines, he said, aren’t set up to detect such high amounts. “This might take the prize for [the] most pesticide-contaminated sample we have ever tested,” said Wurzer.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

gimme plz tia

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

I just looked this up and if Covid didn't happen it feels like a much bigger deal would have been made of this. The story behind it is insane.

https://www.leafly.com/news/health/toxic-vaping-vapi-evali-lung-injury-rise-and-fall-of-vitamin-e-oil-honey-cut

Thanks for the link, that's horrifying. The slow poisions are the worst. The slow effect means you don't know there's a problem until its too late, and then you're the walking dead. See also melamine I guess.

but hey, the free market will fix the problem! Somehow.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Dongsturm posted:

Thanks for the link, that's horrifying. The slow poisions are the worst. The slow effect means you don't know there's a problem until its too late, and then you're the walking dead. See also melamine I guess.

nobody should touch a vape cart they didn't buy themselves from a legal weed store after this poo poo. assume all retail packaging in illegal markets is fake and that the carts are stepped on unless you or someone you trust bought it irl from a legal, licensed weed store in a legal state

and even then you might be vaping mold and pesticides etc.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Vaping gutter oil and bear endocrine juices

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I actually went to look and and will now leak the precious mod forum

quote:

Width: 180px
Height: 20-50px
File size: 50kb, wiggle room here. Make it as small as you can.

so yeah, still too big

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Dongsturm posted:

Bringing it full circle, that whole thing was (one of) the main pieces of "evidence" used for a popular Chinese conspiracy theory in the very early days of COVID. That COVID didn't really start in China and had in fact been spreading all over America long before any cases were found in China and all of the EVALI deaths were actually COVID deaths, but the US government made up the connection to THC vapes as a cover story.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

GoutPatrol posted:

I actually went to look and and will now leak the precious mod forum

so yeah, still too big

I'll see what I can do when I get home from work tonight.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This is what peak performance looks like.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dongsturm posted:

I think this was a plot point in the 1990 film "prayer of the rollerboys"

Edit:

yep the drug called heavenly mist came from china

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LuVYxjJYtg&t=399s

Ups_rail fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 21, 2022

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Another Boeing went boing near Guangzhou.

Be interesting to see if it's another of those ill-fated Max variants, or something else.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Atopian posted:

Another Boeing went boing near Guangzhou.

Be interesting to see if it's another of those ill-fated Max variants, or something else.

apparently it wasn't a max

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
https://twitter.com/aviationbrk/status/1505835466943352836

gently caress me, that's no way to die.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i think i made these too fast...

one is 66kb and the other is 88kb

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hopefully everyone on board was unconscious from the G forces by that point.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
ok here is a less speedy one

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Booty Pageant posted:

if there's a line for this, i'm in it

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Booty Pageant posted:

:perfect:

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012
This seems to be a good week to stay indoors with the blankets over my head.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Hopefully everyone on board was unconscious from the G forces by that point.

Unfortunately there are zero G forces, so you can unclip your seatbelt and float out of your chair yelling "woo, I'm an astronaut!". Which I strongly recommend you do.

As a consolation, I can guarantee that it is impossible for you to be aware of the impact. I did the math a while ago, and in that kind of crash the plane turns into a pancake faster than the signals can travel from your eyes to your brain. Everyone on that plane definitely went from alive to dead without noticing it.

I need better hobbies.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Booty Pageant posted:

Much better than what I had going.

:thumbsup:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Dongsturm posted:

This seems to be a good week to stay indoors with the blankets over my head.

Unfortunately there are zero G forces, so you can unclip your seatbelt and float out of your chair yelling "woo, I'm an astronaut!". Which I strongly recommend you do.

As a consolation, I can guarantee that it is impossible for you to be aware of the impact. I did the math a while ago, and in that kind of crash the plane turns into a pancake faster than the signals can travel from your eyes to your brain. Everyone on that plane definitely went from alive to dead without noticing it.

I need better hobbies.

Oooof. I don't know what to feel about that. Is it better to be alive knowing you're going to die then it's instant blackness, or die without knowing it but feeling it for an instant before the end?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Oooof. I don't know what to feel about that. Is it better to be alive knowing you're going to die then it's instant blackness, or die without knowing it but feeling it for an instant before the end?

Pick your poison, fear or pain, I suppose.
Unless you have a hell of a lot more chill about your inevitable death than I do.

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1505863117343014916

https://twitter.com/aviationbrk/status/1505876365136076802

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDDiB1dOGgs

Greg of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 21, 2022

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
God rest their souls. wtf

I wonder if we'll ever know the reason for a fall like that.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I don't want to know.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I don't want to know.

Yeah I'm the same way

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I’m almost certain they’ll recover the black box and cockpit voice recorder. They’re designed to survive that sort of impact and they know exactly where it crashed.

What led to the brief recovery before second descent is the million dollar question. That shows the plane was still operable at that point.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

That velocity is basically free fall from a cruising altitude.

My wild rear end guess is loss of cabin pressure, pilots pass out pushing plane into a dive, and when they shake it off at the last second they try to recover but can't.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 21, 2022

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah, I'm thinking something happened with the pilots. Even if all 4 of the engines died you'd still be able to glide it down at a much less aggressive angle of descent.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Booty Pageant posted:

I would definitely replace my chickencheese with this master.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Devils Affricate posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking something happened with the pilots. Even if all 4 of the engines died you'd still be able to glide it down at a much less aggressive angle of descent.

There's also a lot of components that will cause an immediate power dive like this. Damage to the horizontal stabilisers, or their control systems, e.g. https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2000-feb-15-me-64384-story.html

no way to tell until they find the black box, if it survived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Where does the altitude data come from? Radar or some kind of onboard instrument? I'm wondering if stress on the airframe could have caused some of it to break up and make something that appears like a recovery but it's really just an artifact of the break up of the plane.